PDA

View Full Version : Nissan Studies GT-R based 4 door Sedan for Infiniti

Xtrema
02-19-2008, 06:16 PM
Scoop! Nissan Studies GT-R-Based Four Door - Auto News - Motor Trend (http://www.motortrend.com/features/auto_news/2008/112_0802_nissan_gt_r_four_door)
http://images.motortrend.com/features/auto_news/2008/112_0802_02z+nissan_gt_r_four_door_illustration+front_view.jpg
http://images.motortrend.com/features/auto_news/2008/112_0802_01z+nissan_gt_r_four_door_illustration+side_view.jpg

M5 beware!

Zephyr
02-19-2008, 06:19 PM
looks like a flattened Lancer Evolution X

pf0sh0
02-19-2008, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by Zephyr
looks like a flattened Lancer Evolution X

lol:werd:

A790
02-20-2008, 07:17 AM
I'd rock it. Times ten.

inline6turbo
02-27-2008, 10:44 PM
imo one of the only four doors that get a :drool: and I would love to rock! :hitit:

badatusrnames
02-27-2008, 10:52 PM
Looks a bit like a flattened 300C as well...

arian_ma
02-27-2008, 11:03 PM
Originally posted by inline6turbo
imo one of the only four doors that get a :drool: and I would love to rock! :hitit:

Maserati Quatroporte?
BMW M3 Sedan?
Audi RS4?
Mercedes CL63 AMG?
BMW M5?
Need I go on?

lol I am just kidding the drawing of the possibility of this car is hot as hell!

inline6turbo
02-27-2008, 11:06 PM
^
no

lol

Godfuader
02-27-2008, 11:19 PM
:barf: Yet again, Nissan comes up with a great design (GT-R)....and bastardizes it multiple times over. Whats next...a SUV variation called GT-X? :thumbsdow

rc2002
02-28-2008, 09:42 AM
Seems like it's set to fail. $85k for a Nissan (or even an Infiniti for that matter)? I think many people in that market would take a BMW or Mercedes instead of a bargain brand car/pseudo luxury car.

Quoted for future reference:

A senior Nissan source has confirmed the company is studying the possibility of producing a high-performance four-door sedan based on the exotic Nissan GT-R hardware. The source suggested the car may be sold as an Infiniti.

Producing a four-door GT-R is certainly feasible, though it wouldn't be cheap. Although the GT-R coupe is based on Nissan's flexible FM (front midship) platform, it is what one analyst calls "a major deviation" from that platform's architecture, to the point where it's known internally as PM (premium midship).

The PM platform could be stretched to allow an extra set of doors and useable rear passenger space, while keeping the existing suspension pickup points, powertrain mountings, and other sheetmetal. This would enable the four-door to share a lot of the GT-R's mechanical hardware, including the 480-horsepower twin-turbo 3.8-liter VR38 V-6 engine, all wheel drive, and the rear-mounted six-speed DSG-style auto-clutch transmission.

However a sedan version would require a new bodyside, plus expensive revisions to the carbon fiber intensive front structure, so while Nissan could save some money through component sharing with the GT-R, it's likely that a sedan variant would cost $3000 to $5000 more. One alternative would be to make the car with a conventional steel body (it would add weight, but Nissan would want the GT-R coupe to remain its performance flagship anyway).

The drawings here are purely illustrative; it's unlikely Nissan would retain too many GT-R cues on an Infiniti-badged car. Nissan knows a four-door GT-R would have about as much credibility in Japan as a four-door Corvette would here in the U.S. Furthermore, American and European buyers likely would balk at the idea of paying $85,000 for a sedan with Nissan badges. Making the car an Infiniti could help solve both problems, and it would give the brand the halo vehicle it lacks.

A high-tech, high-performance Infiniti sedan also could serve as a halo car for the expansion of Nissan's luxury brand into Europe, China, Japan, and other world markets. After dithering for a decade or more, Toyota has finally made Lexus a global brand, and its new IS-F sedan signals an entry into the premium high-performance segment dominated by Mercedes-Benz's AMG and BMW's M cars.

The significance of both moves won't have been lost on Nissan CEO Carlos Ghosn.

Xtrema
02-28-2008, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by Godfuader
:barf: Yet again, Nissan comes up with a great design (GT-R)....and bastardizes it multiple times over. Whats next...a SUV variation called GT-X? :thumbsdow

Be careful what you ask for:

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/02/26/fo-shame-i-bestcar-i-envisions-a-gt-r-based-suv/

This make sense if Nissan has Porsche in their crosshair.

Originally posted by richardchan2002
Seems like it's set to fail. $85k for a Nissan (or even an Infiniti for that matter)? I think many people in that market would take a BMW or Mercedes instead of a bargain brand.

Infiniti is launching in Europe this fall. They are already putting in VQ37 and 7 speed auto in the complete European Infiniti line, G37 coupe and sedan, EX37 etc (should trickle down to NA Infiniti soon I hope).

So they are serious about the expansion. With 4 door coupe all the craze since CLS, it's a natural fit. Especially they need something to replace the Q as flagship.

Destinova403
02-28-2008, 11:30 AM
wow... GTR-whorage much?

now every soccer mom can get to practice in under 3 minutes!

treg50
02-28-2008, 12:26 PM
This should be good.

Look out C63, RS4, IS-F and M3-sedan :eek:

Orbie
02-28-2008, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema

Infiniti is launching in Europe this fall. They are already putting in VQ37 and 7 speed auto in the complete European Infiniti line, G37 coupe and sedan, EX37 etc (should trickle down to NA Infiniti soon I hope).

Keep in mind though that the VQ37 application in the G line in Europe has been detuned from the 330hp/270lb-ft in NA to 306hp/258lb-ft across the board for both coupe and sedan in Europe. With the 7AT this should be great for fuel economy, but I don't think they will be any better performing then their G37 and G35 counterparts here.

DonJuan
02-28-2008, 02:20 PM
I actually don't mind this (drawings that is) the SUV tho is way overboard.