PDA

View Full Version : Credit: Couple questions regarding collections

szw
02-20-2008, 07:11 PM
I'm posting here because I remember there were a few members in the past who really seemed to know what they were talking about with these matters.

I just received an online credit profile from transunion (I wanted to find out the name of the collection agency that had my acct).

BTW, do I need to check other credit agencies? I just chose one of them while doing an online search

My score is rated as 722 (it says Fair).

Anyways, I have one collection agency who I owe money to. Under my credit profile, its listed under "Collection Accounts: Delinquent accounts sent for recovery"

If I contact the collection agency and work out a payment, will it actually improve my credit rating? How long will it take and roughly how much? If I DO NOT make any settlement with this company, what happens? Will my credit rating be lowered again, or will it stay the same?

Also, if I settle the payment, is there something I need to ask for specifically to guarantee the mark is removed from my record? BTW this account is 2 or 3 years old.

Lastly regarding a separate account:

3 months ago I transferred my Telus Mobility account to someone else and paid off all my bills with them. A couple days ago, a collections agency is contacting me saying Telus sent my account into collections. It turns out that while I paid my bill, the ADDITIONAL airtime charges get charged one month later, so I owe for that. I had no idea about this bill and I was never contacted at all by Telus. So now they say they can't reverse the collections charge, so I just will have to deal with the agency.

So anybody with any inside information or who knows any tricks about these matters, what is my best course of action? Simply to pay the agency directly? Ask them for some kind of settlement? has my credit rating been affected at all from this incident? (nothing showed up on the credit report that I ordered)

Thanks

BTW I am really pissed that Telus never contacted me about this. They don't have my new phone number, but they do have my email address. I there any way I can fuck them a bit to make myself a little happier?

GQBalla
02-20-2008, 07:41 PM
first off i dont think telus or any company that ive been with for servers (cable, satellite, phone) will or has ever contacted me via email. so since they dont have your new number it wouldn't have mattered.
but the question is did you move? because they would hvae sent or should have sent mail to your residence regarding your invoice.

now im not sure 100 percent but if you were to pay the credit company your credit score would gradually get better, not right away thoughs.

the only way i can see you screwing over telus is to write to BBB (better buisness burea(spelling)) and explain your situation or you can try and contact telus and give the manager heck but to tell you the truth they are just words.

ORRR you can not pay and have them suffer for the cost you owe them. but its a double edged sword your credit goes down

szw
02-20-2008, 08:11 PM
screwing telus over was just a joke mostly. My account with them has already gone to collections, so I don't think they care about it anymore.

I received all my online bills through telus, so i dont' see why they couldn't send me another bill online for what I owed. This doesn't really matter anymore as its already done, I'm just looking at the best way to handle the situation from now on.

max_boost
02-21-2008, 02:20 AM
I can offer this much advice. 722 is a very good score. You don't have to check any other bureaus.

Best thing to do is just to clear up the debt and monitor your credit report to see if it's either removed or says resolved (something to that effect). This is a relatively small mark and I wouldn't be overly concerned with it.

250and3
02-24-2008, 11:38 AM
It'll take a long time before your credit starts to reflect the fact that you cleared up the collections accounts. Probably a couple of years. But it's still worth doing.

szw
03-03-2008, 06:09 AM
It will take a couple of years for anything to register? isn't the SOL up in a couple of years? (The debt is almost 3 years old I think).