PDA

View Full Version : To Beyond Tax Experts

rtsen
02-21-2008, 08:31 PM
Hey all, i'm looking for some help with my Taxes this year. Has anyone been in a similar situation or know what I should do?

Here's the details: I got married in Oct 07 to a non-Canadian citizen. She is currently living with me in Canada since she arrived in August. She has a temporary visitor visa and we are applying for her Permanent Resident. I am currently supporting her since she can not work and she does not have a SIN number. Am I eligible to use her personal tax credit for tax purposes?

I did some research and found this. From:
http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/E/pub/tp/it...onsolid-e.html

16. The residence status of an individual is always a question of fact to be determined by taking into account all of the circumstances of the individual. The most important factor in determining whether or not an individual entering Canada becomes resident in Canada for tax purposes is whether or not the individual establishes residential ties with Canada. Generally, the comments found in s 5 to 9 with respect to the residential ties of individuals leaving Canada are equally applicable to individuals entering Canada. As discussed in 5, an individual's spouse or common-law partner, dependants, and dwelling place, if located in Canada, will almost always constitute significant ties with Canada. In addition, the CCRA considers that where an individual entering Canada applies for and obtains landed immigrant status and provincial health coverage, these ties will usually constitute significant residential ties with Canada. Thus, except in exceptional circumstances, where landed immigrant status and provincial health coverage have been acquired, the individual will be determined to be resident in Canada.

18. Where an individual enters Canada and establishes residential ties with Canada as described in s 16 and 17, the individual will generally be considered to have become a resident of Canada for tax purposes on the date he or she entered Canada (but see 20 for comments on sojourners)

It seems like she is considered a resident of Canada for tax purposes since she is married to me however when I enter my tax information into Quick Tax or Ufile, they prompt me for her SIN number which she doesn’t have.

Has anyone been in a similar situation?