PDA

View Full Version : Sony Ericsson w580

ajooo
02-21-2008, 10:20 PM
i just got this phone.. and its pretty decent
just wondering if theres anyway to use mp3's as ringtones

cause i know rogers like locked some shit or something.

i heard that you can debrand it. but you lose some features?

or if anyone can debrand/unlock it for me that would be great. im willing to pay.

any help would be appreciated. thanks

Zero102
02-21-2008, 11:24 PM
You have to use digitally signed MP3s. there are lots of forums for modding sony ericsson phones and they cover this in depth pretty deeply. On the rogers ones there is no way to disable the shutter sound, use un-signed MP3s or un-signed java apps. This is all defeated when you debrand the phone. To be honest though, I don't know what all you lose if you debrand it but I suspect it's just the rogers specific shit (themes and pics) since it overwrites the whole filesystem?

ajooo
02-21-2008, 11:26 PM
yeah i've been reading around on google. and you lose mostly all the rogers stuff whihc would be great.
but i just really wanan use mp3 as a ringtone, i've even tried cutting the song down. and that didnt work either.

ajooo
02-21-2008, 11:34 PM
actually found this tutorial:

http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=1267845

just wondering if anyone has used this. or if its reliable?

Cooked Rice
02-22-2008, 01:05 AM
if you got a grey one get ready for cracking keys. I'm already on my 2nd one and it's happening again.

v2kai
02-22-2008, 01:10 AM
i can debrand it and upgrade a bunch of stuff for you, shoot me a pm if youre still looking to get it done

wheelmanz24
02-22-2008, 01:24 AM
i used that tutorial you posted a link to for my 580

worked great!
all you lose is the rogers music store

ajooo
02-22-2008, 08:53 PM
we're you able to start using mp3's as ringtones?
thats the main reason i want to unbranded it.

HyperZell
02-22-2008, 11:08 PM
I've done it - I got my w580 about a month and a bit ago. First thing I did was follow a tutorial and unbranded it, which is awesome. Now I've got complete freedom on my phone, with no annoying Rogers crap!

sl888
02-22-2008, 11:12 PM
I found a way around it but it takes up more room. Won't matter if you got the 8GB card with Rogers. Just convert your mp3 ringtone into a .wav file. I still sorta wanna unbrand it so I can get flash menus or whatever you call them but don't plan on keeping this phone for long.

ajooo
02-22-2008, 11:32 PM
just tried.. and it didnt work. kept getting an error.
im gonna try again maybe when im not so tired.
i've always tried the .wav file but didnt work either..
dont know why.. haha

i found that you can use videos as rigntones though.

sl888
02-22-2008, 11:42 PM
Originally posted by ajooo
just tried.. and it didnt work. kept getting an error.
im gonna try again maybe when im not so tired.
i've always tried the .wav file but didnt work either..
dont know why.. haha

i found that you can use videos as rigntones though.

Really? Did you put it in the right folder?

ajooo
02-22-2008, 11:49 PM
what folder would it be?
cause i put it in the ringtunes folder

suen17
02-23-2008, 01:02 AM
http://developer.sonyericsson.com/site/global/docstools/misc/p_misc.jsp

Download the DRM packager straight from the SE site and it'll "digitally sign" i.e. "lock" any music file. Transfer that to your phone into the ringtunes folder and you'll be able to use the mp3 files.

Easiest and safest way to use mp3 ringtunes on locked phones if you don't want to go the debranding route.

sl888
02-23-2008, 01:57 AM
Originally posted by ajooo
what folder would it be?
cause i put it in the ringtunes folder
Yeah that's the right folder. Hmmm dunno what it could be. Maybe it's the program that you're using to convert your files.

Anyone got any good games/screen savers/themes for the w580i?

SpeedyZ
02-23-2008, 02:04 AM
is there a recall for these w580's because of the cracked keys?

94SSEi
02-23-2008, 10:42 AM
Not really, they will fix it without claiming it is physical negligence, but they won't outright give you a new one unless it's less than 15 days old (30 for some stores).

IF you are getting a new one take a look at the box. It will have 2 white sides, and the other 2 will tell you whether the phone is one of the updated ones without the cracking keys (ignore the colour of the top and bottom panels). If they are orange, don't take it as it's one of the older ones with probs, if they are a greyish silver, then you are ok as it is an updated one.

Just because SE released new ones doesn't mean there aren't still a bunch of the old ones kicking around in dealer stock.

ajooo
02-23-2008, 12:33 PM
i tried the DRM thing.. and when i converted the mp3 i wanted and transferred that file to my ringtunes folder on my phone.
it wasnt recognized as an mp3. or anything.

Kavy
02-26-2008, 01:25 PM
ajoo, you need to tranfer them to your root folder not to your ringtone folder.

So in other words open up the sony PC suite crap, click on editors then file, plug your phone in put it in phone mode and drag the songtitle.dm file over to the ROOT (the one that just pops up dont open any folders) and it will automatically place them in the right spot.