PDA

View Full Version : Whats this Ticketing for unregistered vehicles on your property?

SkittleFreak
02-21-2008, 11:19 PM
I've heard from a few people that they are ticketing and towing peoples cars on thier own property if they arent registered+insured

is this true? source?

G-ZUS
02-21-2008, 11:22 PM
new city by law

Kloubek
02-21-2008, 11:23 PM
That's fuckdiculous. It's your own damn property.

Aleks
02-21-2008, 11:30 PM
I think they have to be serious junkers to be towed.

They will not tow just any car. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Maddog55
02-21-2008, 11:38 PM
"On your property" ? or parked in front of your house on the street? Pretty sure they can't do anything if a car, no matter what shape its in, is parked on your own property. But if its on the street then it has to be insured and registered, even if its not driveable.

SkittleFreak
02-21-2008, 11:47 PM
so if i tarp my car it's fine?

4lti7ude
02-22-2008, 12:00 AM
They will take it away, last time my mom sold her car to a guy who didnt regester it so it had no plates and just sat in his driveway.
Next thing you know she got a ticket since it was still regesterd as hers.
So im pretty sure they will ticket you and towed it cause thats why we had to put a extra plate on my maxima before i had it insured.

DayGlow
02-22-2008, 07:31 AM
Originally posted by TACO.VIDAL
of course the city can tell you what you can and cant store in your yard just like they can tell you what you can and cant do in your yard.

a recent bylaw has come in to place to target junk cars in peoples yards. its not intended to target the guy who has one car under a tarp in the corner of his yard. its to target the yards that have 4 cars up on blocks and a yard full of parts.

check out the city website or google it and youll find it.

they can try to pass any law they want, but if someone spends the time and challenges the bylaw on a constitutional level they probably would win in court. It would take time and money though.

irs
02-22-2008, 07:54 AM
I can understand if you have a project car and you are working on it. This should not be towed. But come one. If the car has sat there for a year and not moved. It is time to give it up and have it gone.

cloud7
02-22-2008, 10:48 AM
I should tell my friend to wax his junker car so it doesn't look like a junker :D

anhsicun
02-23-2008, 01:06 AM
i know if u park ur car in front of ur house and it has exspire / no plate on it it will get ticket and towed.

tirebob
02-23-2008, 02:05 PM
In vancouver they have been doing this for years... You are able to simply put parking insurance on for a small fee that covers liabilities asscoicated with fire, theft etc that allows you to keep an unplated vehicle on your property. That may apply here as well but I can't say for certain...

nusneak
02-23-2008, 02:22 PM
I see ALL KINDS of vehicles throughout the city parked on the streets with no plates.

C4S
02-23-2008, 03:23 PM
If it is just parked IN FRONT of your house .. they will ticket u .. and tow it aways .. it happened to me few times during winter, when I dont drive my car ... :banghead:

As long as you park it on your driveway, then it is ok.

In front of your house, or back alley, are not your OWN property...:dunno:

djayz
02-23-2008, 05:24 PM
Yah if you park it on your garage pad I highly doubt they are going to come and tow it off. If its on the street thats a completely different story .

eb0i
02-23-2008, 07:00 PM
Maybe I should report my neighbor who has a pick up truck loaded with garbage and it has been sitting in the drive way since June.

GoChris
02-23-2008, 08:55 PM
Originally posted by eb0i
Maybe I should report my neighbor who has a pick up truck loaded with garbage and it has been sitting in the drive way since June.

maybe you should not give a shit what your neighbor has in his own yard unless it adversely effects you in some way.

tom_9109
02-23-2008, 10:30 PM
When a neighbors yard is a shamble it makes it tougher to sell your property.

eb0i
02-24-2008, 02:42 AM
Originally posted by GoChris

maybe you should not give a shit what your neighbor has in his own yard unless it adversely effects you in some way.

It makes my neighborhood look like trash.

LilDrunkenSmurf
02-24-2008, 02:57 AM
Originally posted by djayz
Yah if you park it on your garage pad I highly doubt they are going to come and tow it off. If its on the street thats a completely different story .

Pretty sure the NEW law states they can tow it off, it it's on your property... I can't see them doing it if it's in a garage or some such thing, but if it's out in the open, looking like shit, I can see them doing it.

sputnik
02-24-2008, 09:01 AM
My neighbours had their car on the street for 3 hours without a plate waiting for the Kidney foundation to pick it up.

Someone on the street called and the city towed it 20 minutes before the Kidney foundation showed up. Now the car is sitting in the impound lot and they have a $96 tow to pay for.

Its pretty ridiculous considering the keys were in the ignition and the registration was on the seat signed in order to give the car away.

Ihatetowait
02-24-2008, 09:23 AM
Heres whats even more ridiculous - when I stopped driving my civic I was told I have to have it insured still since its on a pad in the back of my lot. For the reason if "some child jumps on it and breaks their neck, or something".

My property? Shouldn't be any children?

So I slapped up a no trespassing sign. Done.

arian_ma
02-24-2008, 07:22 PM
Originally posted by LilDrunkenSmurf

Pretty sure the NEW law states they can tow it off, it it's on your property... I can't see them doing it if it's in a garage or some such thing, but if it's out in the open, looking like shit, I can see them doing it.

Where the hell are you supposed to put your unregistered car then? I understand the purpose of the law, but where are they going to draw the line between "junker" and someone's car? What if you're a poor student or something?

SkittleFreak
02-24-2008, 07:27 PM
well i have a car on my dads driveway i'm working on this summer, looks like a junker, but my sis's registered/insured car and a trailer are in teh way. let those buggers try to tow it:devil: