PDA

View Full Version : 120 kms and not one bug...

old&slow
02-22-2008, 05:37 PM
Wonderful thing about riding this time of year, no bugs...but alas there are some drawbacks, a tad chilly,...had a great ride down around Millarville and Longview tho!

Supa Dexta
02-23-2008, 01:11 AM
ok...

:dunno:

I used to do that loop all the time, okatoks - tunrer valley - bragg...

Graham_A_M
02-23-2008, 12:24 PM
Yeah I wish I could get out there. but the 10 meter long ramped drive way to which the bikes are stored happens to be sheer ice. So it wouldn't be too good of an idea. This time of the year, and after a good frost in the fall are great times since its too early/ late for the bugs. :thumbsup:

Too bad the asphalt is still so cold though, I'd love to just giver on some cloverleafs. :thumbsdow

old&slow
02-23-2008, 12:52 PM
^no "give er" here...me too afraid to fall.
Don't go clover leafing to fast on my beast anyway.

Living in the deep south has the advantage of getting unto the back roads without much fuss or gravel.

Kinda hoping to get an hour in today as well!

Graham_A_M
02-24-2008, 11:30 AM
Well after shoving & graveling the driveway, we managed to slip and slide our way to the top of it (some close calls though) :(

We went out yesterday for two hours, just to "scratch the itch". Man it felt good to be back out again. We just putted in and around downtown Calgary.

Being able to gun it and climb through the gears sure put a smile on my face.... oh man :D. I can't believe how much I missed the rush.
Well I'm good for about another month at least :rofl:

Tuesday & Wednesday it suposed to get up to 7-8 again, but the rest of the week is pretty cool, with highs around 4 or 5.
I think I'll take the afternoon off work on Tuesday.
:clap:

old&slow
02-24-2008, 12:13 PM
Environment Canada, http://www.weatheroffice.gc.ca/city/pages/ab-52_metric_e.html
is calling for 11 wednesday. Take that day off!

kerry
02-25-2008, 01:30 PM
Which loop is this?
FINALLY got my m3 here and I wouldn't mind a nice brisk drive ;)

JordanAndrew
02-25-2008, 02:04 PM
^^^+1
I would like to test this out with my mazdaspeed3 :D

Graham_A_M
02-25-2008, 05:00 PM
Kerry, I know some pretty damn nice roads in and around Calgary. We should go for a rip, and see if you can keep up!!!:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

(Jokes). the "loop" I think he was reffering to is the road the runs parallel to Mac trail south, as it leaves Calgary. after Heritage point. you'll go down a valley, then up the otherside. Right at that top of the hill you'll probably see some TeePees that are for sale at an acerage on the corner of the road. You'll need to turn right there. Stay on that road, and it'll go straight west. after about half km, you'll find this (beautiful) constant radius sweeper (well two basically) that'll turn you due south. You stay going south for a LONG time, way past Strathcona tweetsmere school. Eventually after, probably 5 minutes or so (depending on how fast you drive) you'll see a 4 way intersection, with a sign saying
"Millarville -----> " take that. Its a LONG curvy road that goes on and on, past a church, then eventually up to highway 22 I believe it is. (you'll have a roadside ice cream bar type place dead ahead of you) If you turn right, that'll take you to 22x. If you go left, that'll take you to Turner valley.

There are MANY much nicer roads, but those are a secret as I hate seeing other guys race up and down them, as it ruins it for when its my turn to be a douche bag on them. :D

But some of the roads are like a road course, and an amazing one. No acreages, just perfect pavement. its pure sex.

So I already have this wednesday off work. Oh God I can't wait. just two more sleeps hahaha. I hope to spend the good part of the late morning and all afternoon on my bike.
:thumbsup:

old&slow
02-25-2008, 05:44 PM
^if you go south at 22 you can go west again within 2 kms.It's called Millarville crossing. After a few kms you need to go north toward 22 (Bragg Creek) Thats where it gets real fun...Beware of cold pavement!

Graham_A_M
02-25-2008, 07:02 PM
^ yeah thats a great one. We rip that up quite regulairly. :thumbsup: but if gets old after a while. To stay on 22x, it takes you to some nice curves up on the way as well, so we usually take the millarville road up to bragg creek and take 22x home.

I'm sure the ranchers there have a death warrent for us. HAHAHA... The pavement dropped out there on this one turn, at full lean it was quite the experience. Probably the scariest speed wobble I've ever encountered.
They've since fixed it, but I was going to ask for them to place one of those danger signs they have with the black character and the yellow background to be placed right before that area of badly broken pavement. Only this time for the "character" in the sign to be tumbling off a cliff riding a motorbike with debris flying everywhere. :rofl:

Another great trail that I heard of is to take the road that takes you up to the Kananaskis lodge, but stay on it (instead of going to the lodge); apparently its a 150-200 km drive through the beautiful mountain range, and you supposedly end up very close to banff. All beautifully paved. (I'll have to check on a map as that sounds awesome)
Every week the Calgary Gold-wing club gets together and goes on new drive somewhere. Everyweek its always different, and they (apparently) go on some amazing routes/roads. I'm sure he'd be able to give me some tips. I'll ask a guy I know thats a member, and I'll post them up here as soon as I hear them.

I just wish we had our own "Deals gap" (which is an infamous route in the colorado mountain range). Its 22 miles, and something like 318 turns.
:eek:

Its immaculately paved. If you do a google images search, you'll see that infamous "tree of shame" and all these awesome cyclist friendly hotels along the way. I really want to visit there soon.

old&slow
02-26-2008, 05:39 AM
Originally posted by Graham_A_M
^ yeah thats a great one. We rip that up quite regulairly. :thumbsup: but if gets old after a while. To stay on 22x, it takes you to some nice curves up on the way as well, so we usually take the millarville road up to bragg creek and take 22x home.

I'm sure the ranchers there have a death warrent for us. HAHAHA... The pavement dropped out there on this one turn, at full lean it was quite the experience. Probably the scariest speed wobble I've ever encountered.
They've since fixed it, but I was going to ask for them to place one of those danger signs they have with the black character and the yellow background to be placed right before that area of badly broken pavement. Only this time for the "character" in the sign to be tumbling off a cliff riding a motorbike with debris flying everywhere. :rofl:

Another great trail that I heard of is to take the road that takes you up to the Kananaskis lodge, but stay on it (instead of going to the lodge); apparently its a 150-200 km drive through the beautiful mountain range, and you supposedly end up very close to banff. All beautifully paved. (I'll have to check on a map as that sounds awesome)
Every week the Calgary Gold-wing club gets together and goes on new drive somewhere. Everyweek its always different, and they (apparently) go on some amazing routes/roads. I'm sure he'd be able to give me some tips. I'll ask a guy I know thats a member, and I'll post them up here as soon as I hear them.

I just wish we had our own "Deals gap" (which is an infamous route in the colorado mountain range). Its 22 miles, and something like 318 turns.
:eek:

Its immaculately paved. If you do a google images search, you'll see that infamous "tree of shame" and all these awesome cyclist friendly hotels along the way. I really want to visit there soon.

It does get old after the 50th time!

Cop gave me a ticket there and said the farmer folk were complaining!

Hiway 541 I believegoes to Kanaskis, sometimes called Highwood pass!

We Almost have a deals gap. It just a couple kms east of field.
Trying to remember the name of the falls...Takakkaw Falls
http://www.field.ca/yohonationalpark/waterfalls/