PDA

View Full Version : 1997 Nissan Maxima Gle Worth?

2BLUE
02-23-2008, 03:49 PM
GF and i were at a local dealership today and wanted to trade our car in on 2000 dodge durango...everything was going smoothly intill they came back and offered us $1500 for GF car..We were like wtf..I mean we just paid $7k for the car 2 months previous...

1997 Nissan Maxima GLE 268k fully loaded

Anyways does anyone know where they give half decent tradin's?

canuckcarguy
02-23-2008, 03:56 PM
As long as you're trading in, you have no idea what you're actually getting paid for your trade. The only thing that matters is the net price - i.e, how much cash do you need, plus your Nissan, to buy the new car?

It's pretty easy for a dealer to mark their car up by, say, an extra $5000, and then give you an extra $5000 for your trade - that makes you feel good, but doesn't save you any money.

You're better off, if possible, to sell your car privately and use the cash to buy your next car. This way you know exactly what you're paying.

In fairness to the dealership, they're going to buy your car, recondition it, inspect it, and then sell it. Retail might be $5K - $7K for your Nissan, but they're likely counting on at least $1000-$2000 for reconditioning, and then they want to be able to make a profit... there's nothing free in life, so if you trade in and don't have the hassle of selling your own car, it's going to cost you...

crewchaud
02-23-2008, 04:02 PM
To put it in perspective:

The car is pushing almost 300,000 kms so you can bet your money that the dealer is going to just wholesale it. The wholesaler will probably pay $2000 max for the car so you could try and get the dealer to pay the same.

If you paid $7K for this 2 months ago and your hoping to get that kind of money back for this then I would suggest swapping the motor & tranny out for a lower km one and then through it on beyond for $5,000 OBO

Good luck otherwise sir.