PDA

View Full Version : 9th Avenue

nich148_9
02-24-2008, 02:20 AM
I was late for a super important appointment today because of freaking 9th avenue, and its terrible drivers.

2 things:
1. When it says "2 right lanes closed ahead", don't jump into those 2 right lanes just to try to push ahead. I had like 10 people do this. There's no way you're being let in, so wait in the damn line like everyone else. The offenders in this case are too many to name, but my favourite would have to be the Grand Cherokee which was right behind us. It moved into the 2 barren right lanes (because some people actually think ahead and move into the left lanes), went up 2 cars, and budged in without a signal. That's a pathetic advantage.

2. Use your damn signals! Seriously, if you're making a lane change, let the people behind you know so they can slow down to let you in. Don't just move the wheel and expect everyone behind you to know what you're on about. It's even worse when the car is moving over 3 lanes. The winner here would be the 40(ish) year old woman in the black Civic who kept weaving through lanes of traffic without a signal. Back and forth. And repeat.

Anybody been down this hellhole recently?

LilDrunkenSmurf
02-24-2008, 02:28 AM
I took an advanced road test down there this morning.

I got honked at for going the limit.

InLoveWitRSX
02-24-2008, 03:04 AM
yeah i went there today after work

saw an audi r8 parked... it was sick

FiveFreshFish
02-24-2008, 03:10 AM
Avoid 9th Avenue this weekend.

http://www.gov.calgary.ab.ca/citybeat/public/2008/02/release.20080222_101725_23753_0

dino_martini
02-24-2008, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by nich148_9
I was late for a super important appointment today because of freaking 9th avenue, and its terrible drivers.

2 things:
1. When it says "2 right lanes closed ahead", don't jump into those 2 right lanes just to try to push ahead. I had like 10 people do this. There's no way you're being let in, so wait in the damn line like everyone else. The offenders in this case are too many to name, but my favourite would have to be the Grand Cherokee which was right behind us. It moved into the 2 barren right lanes (because some people actually think ahead and move into the left lanes), went up 2 cars, and budged in without a signal. That's a pathetic advantage.

2. Use your damn signals! Seriously, if you're making a lane change, let the people behind you know so they can slow down to let you in. Don't just move the wheel and expect everyone behind you to know what you're on about. It's even worse when the car is moving over 3 lanes. The winner here would be the 40(ish) year old woman in the black Civic who kept weaving through lanes of traffic without a signal. Back and forth. And repeat.

This is wishful thinking man. I remeber a few weeks ago there was construction on both sides of 9th ave between 2nd Street and First street. How the fuck is that allowed? You take a four lane road, and they took it down to two lanes. This city has some fucked up ideas. Not to mention they took out an entire parkade to build that building across from the old post office. :whipped:

MrSector9
02-24-2008, 11:54 AM
I didn't know signals were equipped on most vehicles sold in calgary.

rage2
02-24-2008, 12:13 PM
You gotta drive like an asshole to get anywhere. Wait in line? Who does that? :rofl:

As for signalling, every driver is an asshole in Calgary. Signal in rush hour and the guy will just accelerate to not let you in. Everyone wants to get somewhere fast, and you're not gonna get anywhere. It's pretty much required to make the lane change THEN signal halfway thru your change (to not get a ticket). Otherwise, you're going nowhere.

People drive so stupid in this city you have to be more agressive than defensive to get anywhere. If I don't have to go anywhere, I'll sit back and relax and wait it out. Otherwise, it's every driver for themselves.

badatusrnames
02-24-2008, 12:20 PM
Almost as bad as the people trying to budge line are the people that enable and encourage that behavior by letting them in.

I take 20th Ave. N to and from the University and it just roast my balls when people pull up to the lights in the right lane at the lights and try to cut their way ahead of traffic that is going forward in the left lane. It accomplishes nothing (unless someone is actually turning left) except a potential accident and it doesn't get them where they are going any faster. It just lets them travel at the same speed down the road, just four places ahead of where they were originally.

rage2
02-24-2008, 12:22 PM
Ya, but those 4 places ahead *might* get you ahead of a lightchange, which is worth 6 mins on average. That's an extra full song that I can can play on Rock Band! Every second counts!

ashee
02-24-2008, 01:24 PM
It's right by my work, sucks when I drive to work and have to get out of the parkade, no one wants to let you in because they already have so much angst towards the people who didn't read the 2right lanes closed ahead signs.

badatusrnames
02-24-2008, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by rage2
Ya, but those 4 places ahead *might* get you ahead of a lightchange, which is worth 6 mins on average. That's an extra full song that I can can play on Rock Band! Every second counts!

Haha, it's people like you... :banghead: :guns:

googe
02-24-2008, 01:35 PM
I don't know about 9th ave but it's not uncommon for the sign to be obscured from view if you're in a car and there is a truck or SUV in front. So you think what the hell, why is everyone too retarded to use the other lane (because that happens a lot too), so you move over and then see the signs and figure it out. I've done that :D

white90
02-24-2008, 05:00 PM
This is a great STREET ENCOUNTER, go post this useless POS info in the "people you wanna slap or kill" thread.

Street Encounters
Anything exciting happen on the street? Share!

rmk
02-24-2008, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by white90
This is a great STREET ENCOUNTER, go post this useless POS info in the "people you wanna slap or kill" thread.

Street Encounters

which returning banned member are u?

badatusrnames
02-24-2008, 05:04 PM

Street Encounters

Thanks guy.

TegLover
02-24-2008, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by nich148_9

2 things:

And this is something new to you? wow! :whocares:

cloud7
02-24-2008, 05:51 PM

I agreed, getting ahead on a light change is what I usually strive for, BUT it ain't gonna save you 6 min., considering the maximum signal lengths in Calgary is around 150 seconds... so it saves you two and half minutes maximum.

rc2002
02-24-2008, 11:56 PM
You gotta drive like an asshole to get anywhere. Wait in line? Who does that? :rofl:

As for signalling, every driver is an asshole in Calgary. Signal in rush hour and the guy will just accelerate to not let you in. Everyone wants to get somewhere fast, and you're not gonna get anywhere. It's pretty much required to make the lane change THEN signal halfway thru your change (to not get a ticket). Otherwise, you're going nowhere.

People drive so stupid in this city you have to be more agressive than defensive to get anywhere. If I don't have to go anywhere, I'll sit back and relax and wait it out. Otherwise, it's every driver for themselves.

Exactly.

OP, are you new here? It's just common sense to drive like that- Hug the closed lanes because they always move faster. Somebody ALWAYS lets you in at the end.

This shouldn't even be an issue - in any other major city this happens normally and people don't get all uptight about it.

GTS Jeff
02-25-2008, 12:56 AM
I always ride the ending lane to the end. There are a few tricks:

1. time it so that you cut back in as the packed lane is reaccelerating from a stop. This opens up gaps between the drivers who would otherwise not let you in.

2. prey on the weak women and seniors. Follow step 1 above, but try to spot a granny caboose or some beat Corolla driven by an immigrant woman, because those drivers are always slow to respond to traffic changes and they'll leave a bigger gap for you.

3. if all lanes of traffic are stopped and even if there isn't enough of a gap for your car to fit in, just wedge yourself in enough so that the person behind can't do anything.

4. Do not signal in advance, that's just a courtesy thing, and because assholes will try to counter-asshole your asshole-driving by not letting you in. Just signal as you turn in, which is a safety thing. Safety is important, courtesy not so much, especially if you're running late.

5. Finally, remember to always wave a thank-you to the driver who so graciously let you in.

LilDrunkenSmurf
02-25-2008, 01:04 AM
Originally posted by cloud7

I agreed, getting ahead on a light change is what I usually strive for, BUT it ain't gonna save you 6 min., considering the maximum signal lengths in Calgary is around 150 seconds... so it saves you two and half minutes maximum.

But getting that one light, will most likely let you get through the next one... It builds up man... If I can make that one light, I can usually end up about 10 mins earlier than the other guys.

Originally posted by GTS Jeff
2. prey on the weak women and seniors. Follow step 1 above, but try to spot a granny caboose or some beat Corolla driven by an immigrant woman, because those drivers are always slow to respond to traffic changes and they'll leave a bigger gap for you.

The mini-van moms are touch and go... Some are slow... some are even more assholish... But good advice nonetheless... I never let anyone in... ever hahahaha

Joe-G
02-25-2008, 01:06 AM
4. Do not signal in advance, that's just a courtesy thing, and because assholes will try to counter-asshole your asshole-driving by not letting you in. Just signal as you turn in, which is a safety thing. Safety is important, courtesy not so much, especially if you're running late.

That's entirely true. I do it all the time on Deerfoot just after the Anderson ramp. As soon as you try and be courteous by signaling in advance, everyone will always 99.9% of the time speed up and not let you in.

drtoohotty1
02-25-2008, 01:20 AM
Originally posted by InLoveWitRSX
yeah i went there today after work

saw an audi r8 parked... it was sick

was it the white one? :hitit:

rage2
02-25-2008, 08:13 AM
Originally posted by badatusrnames
Haha, it's people like you... :banghead: :guns:
Yep... people like me who gets there on time. :thumbsup:

B17a
02-25-2008, 12:11 PM

I find the women are the worst ones for letting you in, they pretend to not see you and just keep inching up closing any gap. I hate not getting a thank-you wave for letting someone cut in, boourns to you!

adam c
02-25-2008, 12:19 PM

Street Encounters

Originally posted by rmk

which returning banned member are u?

i would assume Black01 or whatever that douche was

Reap
03-02-2008, 10:52 PM
:drama:

rmk
03-02-2008, 10:55 PM
Originally posted by Reap
:drama:

Fuck, you are cute. Any more pics?