PDA

View Full Version : 5 x 5 program?

nodoubtt
02-24-2008, 12:56 PM
I have heard and read various sources that say this is a very good program for gaining strength and building muscle.

Can anybody else back this up?

And also if it's a good program, can someone post a link to it or explain it? I found an explanation on the internet but it seemed a little detailed and I just want the gist of it

Thanks!

Fighters Nation
02-25-2008, 03:09 AM
5 x 5 is best for putting on size. Excellent program, I couldn't tell you exactly how it works, But I do know its for gaining size over strength, and many people use it with amazing results. You may wanna try asking this questions on a workout/weightlifting forum?

buh_buh
02-25-2008, 03:24 AM
5x5 is a strength program. I did it for roughly 9 weeks following this program: http://www.geocities.com/elitemadcow1/5x5_Program/Periodized_5x5.htm?200825

I did notice a big increase in strength by the end of the program, but after I finished, I switched back to 3 sets of 10, and I noticed after my 5th rep, I got pretty tired much sooner. I personally didn't really like it, but some people swear by it. I actually noticed I got smaller when I was on this program, so I don't think its really a program for packing on some lbs.

95EG6P
02-25-2008, 04:21 PM
It looks good for a change in program. It's not meant for everyone but it is the trail and error that will determine what is the best for you

Cheers:D

1-Bar
02-29-2008, 09:05 AM
5x5 is mainly a strength program. I was on the same program. IMO its okay, a good change, but like buh_buh said, it sux when you more up to higher reps, you feel, ironically, "weaker".