PDA

View Full Version : Bad crash on Mcleod

strong
02-24-2008, 01:34 PM
Heritage and Mcleod bad accident invovling 4-5 cars and defintly some people are hurt, sorry no pics but stay away from there they have forensics and all kinds of cops on scene

Jlude
02-24-2008, 02:33 PM
my roommate just said he heard it there was a head on collision with a cop car?

KuruptEX
02-24-2008, 02:37 PM
Date: Sun Feb 24 13:01:39 2008
Subject: Serious injury collision – Macleod Tr and Heritage Dr SW

-----BEGIN MD5 -----------------------------------

-----------------------------------------------------------------
CITYBEAT - CITY OF CALGARY PRESS RELEASE
-----------------------------------------------------------------

At about 10:00 am on Sunday the 24 February 2008 police, fire
and EMS responded to a collision at the intersection of
Macleod Tr and Heritage Dr. SW involving a marked police unit
and several other vehicles.

Initial investigations indicate that that two marked police
vehicles, the first a Crown Victoria and the second a full
sized Ford van were west bound on Heritage Dr SW. The
operator of the Crown Victoria was stopped at the red light
at Macleod Tr, activated the vehicles emergency equipment and
entered the intersection followed by the Ford van which also
had its emergency equipment activated. The Crown Victoria
was struck in the passenger side door by a light brown 2007
Toyota Corolla which was being driven south bound on Macleod
Tr in the extreme west lane. As a result of the collision
the marked police unit was forced into the eastbound lanes of
Heritage Dr. where it struck two other vehicles waiting at
the light.

The two elderly women, occupants of the Toyota, were both
treated and transported by EMS to hospital, one in life
threatening condition and the other in serious but stable
condition. The officer, and sole occupant, driving the Crown
Victoria was also taken to hospital, treated and released.
No other individuals were injured.

The police units where responding to a domestic call
involving a weapon in the Haysboro area at the time of the
collision

The intersection at Macleod Tr. and Heritage Dr. SW will be
shut down for several more hours while the investigation is
completed.

The Traffic Section is conducting the investigation.

-30-

GoChris
02-24-2008, 02:39 PM
holy shit the accident involved an old lady! :rolleyes:

TYMSMNY
02-24-2008, 02:46 PM
Just went through that intersection.

Toyota = missing 3/4 of it's hood.
Police Cruiser = crushed front bumper
Police Van = marked police cruiser fine. I thought I saw the corolla hit the van and not the cruiser.

The entire intersection was blocked off and rerouted.

Xtrema
02-24-2008, 03:25 PM
Again, we need to do something about old people who has reduced ability to drive.

They could be fine in a small town of 1000. But not fit to be in a city of 1M.

DNSRadio
02-24-2008, 03:34 PM
damn those old ppl...

Proboscis
02-24-2008, 03:36 PM
^ would you want to get a letter in 2060 telling you can't drive.

Toms-SC
02-24-2008, 03:47 PM
v.ibettomasaysitsthecopsfault

DNSRadio
02-24-2008, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by Proboscis

haha
tru
good point

damn old people who cant drive..

240SX92
02-24-2008, 03:53 PM

No but why not when they hit a certain age make them re-take the drivers test to make sure they're qualified to still operate a vehicle safely?

Proboscis
02-24-2008, 03:59 PM
Well my neighbor told me he has to take it every 2 years after 90. Describes it as making sure you still have your balls. :burnout:

Kloubek
02-24-2008, 04:01 PM
Every two years after 90?!

Come on... at 90 you can die at any time. Best to put an age limit on having a license, and test every year at a certain point. I don't think a driving test is required, but a test to make sure reflexes and eyesight are adequate.

InLoveWitRSX
02-24-2008, 05:02 PM
i think both were at fault... says on the memo that the crown vic was stopped and then suddenly turned on their lights to enter intersection? i guess the old lady didnt have quick enough response time too, but im pretty sure the officer could have just waited at the light.

b_t
02-24-2008, 05:11 PM

I'd be perfectly fine with that. In 2060 I'll be fuckin 73 years old, I'll be more worried about how to win at crib then driving.

TegLover
02-24-2008, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by InLoveWitRSX
i guess the old lady didnt have quick enough response time

No shit! usually when you see strobes on a vehicle enter the intersection you hit the brakes, unless of course you are an old fuck and have lightning quick response time as a snail.

No the officer was not at fault. The officer would be at fault if he/she gunned through the intersection but as far as i know he/she was STOPPED and then entered.

illeagle
02-24-2008, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema
Again, we need to do something about old people who has reduced ability to drive.

They could be fine in a small town of 1000. But not fit to be in a city of 1M.

:werd:

re-test those dinosaurs every 5 years.

Xtrema
02-24-2008, 05:55 PM

I would accept it like if I have cancer. But I will have to accept it. A physical should also be mandatory on license renewal, a doctor should have the right to take away anyone's ability to drive too.

three33
02-24-2008, 06:01 PM
The one cruiser had the whole passenger door crushed in when I drove by....pretty scary.

white90
02-24-2008, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by illeagle

:werd:

re-test those dinosaurs every 5 years.
Its not as simple as this, 99.99999% of seniors are on a fixed limited income, telling them to just pay the 60$ to retake it isnt going to go well with many, seniors arent very wealthy in case you havent noticed

Proboscis
02-24-2008, 06:06 PM
Well lets hope the officers are ok same with the two seniors.

InLoveWitRSX
02-24-2008, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by TegLover

No shit! usually when you see strobes on a vehicle enter the intersection you hit the brakes, unless of course you are an old fuck and have lightning quick response time as a snail.

No the officer was not at fault. The officer would be at fault if he/she gunned through the intersection but as far as i know he/she was STOPPED and then entered.

did you witness it? cause if not then we can't assume that it was ALL the ladies fault, maybe she was already really close and didnt have enough time to brake when she saw the cop. :love:

Quinsonaaa
02-24-2008, 06:10 PM
:(

BerserkerCatSplat
02-24-2008, 07:23 PM
Found on /p/ of all places:

http://pic.phyrefile.com/2008/02/24/1203889690043.jpg (http://pic.phyrefile.com/2008/02/24/1203889690043.jpg)

Photo by David Fuller.

Maddog55
02-24-2008, 07:29 PM
holy shit....good thing that officer was working solo today.

Nice find, Berserker!

.....umm...what's "/p/" ? I'm naive

BerserkerCatSplat
02-24-2008, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by Maddog55

.....umm...what's "/p/" ? I'm naive

The Photography section of 4chan. Journalistic photos are rarely, if ever, posted there, and it's equally rare to see a photo from Calgary.

rmk
02-24-2008, 07:34 PM
RIP to the elderly woman... She just died :(

88jbody
02-24-2008, 08:02 PM
I fully agree with re-testing, every 5 years after 60 or something like that :dunno:

Maddog55
02-24-2008, 08:03 PM
Originally posted by rmk
RIP to the elderly woman... She just died :(

awwww man :(

Say what you want about old ppl driving (and yes a lot of them shouldn't be) this could've happend to anyone.

The other day Im heading south on Blackfoot as it ends at southland. Im turning left onto eastbound southland and in the left lane. right beside me is a big cube van turning left as well. halfway thru he stops dead and I'm kinda "wtf..??" All of a sudden a huge firetruck is coming through the intersection....the cubevan had pretty much "muffled" the sirens..that with the radio, window down..deerfoot traffic, I heard the sirens at about the same time I see him barreling through the intersection, and JAMMED on my breaks just in time.

Aleks
02-24-2008, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by InLoveWitRSX

did you witness it? cause if not then we can't assume that it was ALL the ladies fault, maybe she was already really close and didnt have enough time to brake when she saw the cop. :love:

It's hard not to assume it was the corolla drivers fault when the cop car made it through 5 lanes across the intersection only to be struck in the 6th lane he was crossing. This makes me think that all the other drivers had stopped in time as this is a very busy intersection.

Either way RIP. The woman was 92 according to the news.

strong
02-24-2008, 11:02 PM
Originally posted by Toms-SC
v.ibettomasaysitsthecopsfault

Ill second that
I have had 2 close calls with Police cars and one was at the same location

Rocky
02-24-2008, 11:09 PM
I don't know the circumstances in this case but I just want to add my two cents: I think cops can be quite haphazard when it comes to putting on lights (which is extremely alarming and distracting to all drivers in the vicinity) and just as careless when firing into an intersection or speeding through lanes...

Toms-SC
02-24-2008, 11:12 PM
Originally posted by Rocky
I don't know the circumstances in this case but I just want to add my two cents: I think cops can be quite haphazard when it comes to putting on lights (which is extremely alarming and distracting to all drivers in the vicinity) and just as careless when firing into an intersection or speeding through lanes...

Can you just stop now and think of what you just said?

Hash_man
02-24-2008, 11:52 PM
Interesting.... At that time though most of the cops were already at the scene of the call in haysboro... I watched them storming an apartment on my way to work... was kind of intense... there were like 5 cop cars at the scene.

Sad to hear someone lose their life because of that incident, but where that police crown vic ended up still doesnt make much sense to me.... :dunno:

InLoveWitRSX
02-24-2008, 11:58 PM
Originally posted by Aleks

It's hard not to assume it was the corolla drivers fault when the cop car made it through 5 lanes across the intersection only to be struck in the 6th lane he was crossing. This makes me think that all the other drivers had stopped in time as this is a very busy intersection.

Either way RIP. The woman was 92 according to the news.

oh, well ... 92 yrs old... gg

rip

SCHIDER23
02-25-2008, 07:54 AM
wow 92 is kind of up there :eek: RIP

rage2
02-25-2008, 08:43 AM
Originally posted by BerserkerCatSplat
http://pic.phyrefile.com/2008/02/24/1203889690043.jpg (http://pic.phyrefile.com/2008/02/24/1203889690043.jpg)

Photo by David Fuller.

On Sunday February 24, 2008 in the afternoon the 92 year old feamle passenger of the Toyota Corlla passed away. The
Medical Examiner will conduct and investigation to determine
the cause of death. After the Medical Examiners examination
the indentification of the victim will be released pending
notification of next of kin.

Looks like no seatbelt, into the windshield. Ouch!

Xtrema
02-25-2008, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by rage2

Looks like no seatbelt, into the windshield. Ouch!

you sure that's head in the windshield and not structural stress on impact? Any even with a seat belt, I don't think it'll take much to kill a 92 yr old anyway. RIP

anyway, sounds like the drive is 70 years old and still alive.

Originally posted by Rocky

Shit happens. Not all cops drive like they do in Superbad. And like another poster said, he navigated thru 5 lanes and get hit in the 6th. If there's no vehicle blocking, Corolla would have clear view of what's coming. If there are vehicle stop at the light, the lack of vehicles moving on a green would have clue in something is not right.

To create that big of an impact, is definitely lack of attention on the Corolla part.

rage2
02-25-2008, 09:47 AM
I'm not sure obviously, but that would be my best guess. The A pillars look fine, so I don't think it's structural. The driver walked away with minor injuries and the glass looks fine on the drivers side.

CLiVE
02-25-2008, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by 88jbody
I fully agree with re-testing, every 5 years after 60 or something like that :dunno:

I agree with re-testing as well, but contrary to this my grandfather drove his camaro up until age 94, when he then gave up his license voluntarily.

Mr_ET
02-25-2008, 10:57 AM
Looking at the report, the description and the accident pictures I would assume the lady had time to stop but I don't know about you guys sometimes when police cars turn on the sirens you don't know where they are coming from.

If you are traveling in the left most lane and other cars stop suddenly your instinct is to slow down but at 92 you might not react.

With that said if you can't see the cop car you might think all is fine and just plow into it as soon as you start crossing the intersection because the other cars did not let you see the cruiser in time.

I think crossing intersections with police cars should be the same as for pedestrians. Make sure all cars are stopped or you can't see any coming in either directions.

I would also not be so quick to assume that because a cruiser flips on the lights it won't be at fault because my sister in law plowed into a cruiser last year because she was on the highway and the cop decided it was a good idea to go from being parked on the side of the highway to u turn to go catch a speeding car in the other direction. the cop did not guage things properly and she never had a chance to stop in time.

CLiVE
02-25-2008, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by Mr_ET

If you are traveling in the left most lane and other cars stop suddenly your instinct is to slow down but at 92 you might not react.

The report in the Herald today said that the 92 year old was a passenger in the car....not the driver.

malbadon
02-25-2008, 12:21 PM
http://members.shaw.ca/malbadon/macleod.bmp

If the corolla was in the extreme westbound lane (orange), ie, the far right lane, of southbound macleod, it means the cops (red) had already gone across SIX lanes of traffic safely (I'm counting the two opposing left turn lanes as one). It doesn't specify which of Heritages two lanes the cops were in, but it hardly matters, the fast and middle southbound lanes of Macleod had stopped to let the cops through. The corolla ignored the fact the two lanes beside them had stopped and kept on going. The only way the cops would have even known there was a car there was to edge past the middle lane to look, and they would have then been hit anyway.

It's little different from someone in one lane blasting into a pedestrian crossing at a crosswalk cause they didn't wonder why the two lanes beside them had stopped. People need to pay attention when they are driving, I don't care their age. When the two lanes beside you come to a complete stop, there's probably a reason. It doesn't mean its time to tune to 630 for a traffic update.

adam c
02-25-2008, 12:34 PM
from the damage and the travel of the police car into the east bound heritage lanes, im sure the old lady was speeding a bit aswell