PDA

View Full Version : Porsche Cayenne - opinions?

holden
02-26-2008, 12:56 PM
I'm considering a used 2004-2006 Porsche Cayenne V6. Does anybody have experience with these?

I know it may not be the best value and that you're paying a premium just for the name. What about reliability, are they a headache?

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks!

tom_9109
02-26-2008, 01:35 PM
My uncle has a tourag and really likes it an no major problems. I believe they are essentially the same vehicle.

DNSRadio
02-26-2008, 01:46 PM
yeah VW quality is pretty good.
i have a friend who had one for a couple years.. said he loved it, but just wanted a car.

good SUV's...

biggest diff. between the Porsche and the VW is the trim.

otherwise the engine and everything underneath is the same ( pretty much )

:thumbsup:

E36M3
03-10-2008, 03:15 PM
Although the V6 Cayenne shares a lot with the Tourag, they are not really all that similar other than the chassis and engine. They are great cars overall, but I probably wouldn't consider one unless you got at least the S trim.

My girlfriend has an 06 Cayenne, and I really like it. It isn't a sportscar (despite Porsche wanting it to be) but it really does handle/brake/accelerate like a good luxury sports sedan (think S Class/Flying Spur/7 Series, if you get the air suspension & at least the V8). With the V6, you get a lot of these great qualities but you might find it underpowered.

My girlfriend has the Cayenne, not me :)

Originally posted by DNSRadio
yeah VW quality is pretty good.
i have a friend who had one for a couple years.. said he loved it, but just wanted a car.

good SUV's...

biggest diff. between the Porsche and the VW is the trim.

otherwise the engine and everything underneath is the same ( pretty much )

:thumbsup:

ExOz
03-10-2008, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by E36M3
It isn't a sportscar (despite Porsche wanting it to be)

Well the new cayenne turbo will make BMW look a bit silly then lol. It does faster lap times than the M3 and M5 on Evo's test track.

E36M3
03-10-2008, 05:18 PM
While the Turbos are fast (mine is a modified Turbo S, so it is quite fast), they are not sportscars.. they are heavy and you can tell. They are more like a large sedan than a sportscar (which is a compliment, as they are big, heavy SUVs).

An M3 is a much more exciting car to drive, and will provide a lot more feedback and flexibility than a Cayenne. On the track, the Cayenne would just eat through consumables and is quite a handful, although you could theoretically bring them to track days.

Having said that, the turbos brakes are fantastic (the Turbo S even more so) and the handling is great for an SUV, even on the base model. The air suspension really makes it a great all-around car, especially for a climate like Calgary.

Originally posted by ExOz

Well the new cayenne turbo will make BMW look a bit silly then lol. It does faster lap times than the M3 and M5 on Evo's test track.

nbaker00
03-10-2008, 05:42 PM
I have a 2004 Cayenne for sale if you're looking...

ExOz
03-10-2008, 06:48 PM
My point is, if the M3's are so much more of a "sportscar" etc, then why do they get beaten by the non sports car cayenne. Not saying the cayenne IS a sports car, but it shows a hell of a downfall in BMW's claims.

E36M3
03-10-2008, 07:17 PM
If you put enough power under the hood of many SUVs, you'd beat the M3 in some percentage of tests, there is no question. That doesn't make it a sportscar. A Bentley GT, for example, could beat a Mazda Miata on any course that involved long straight aways (because of its massive power), but it doesn't make it a sportscar, whereas a Miata certainly is.

I guess it is just the definition of sportscar, but in my mind, it means two doors, light, good power to weight ratio, good, responsive steering and great brakes.

Since the Cayenne is four door, heavy, reasonable power to weight ratio and reasonable steering with decent brakes, it comes close but isnt a sportscar.

By the way, everytime I drive the Cayenne I wonder why I would want a sportscar for the street. It is hard for me to justify having anything else (except maybe that it likes its gas).

My point is, if the M3's are so much more of a "sportscar" etc, then why do they get beaten by the non sports car cayenne. Not saying the cayenne IS a sports car, but it shows a hell of a downfall in BMW's claims.

TegLover
03-10-2008, 09:02 PM
If you put enough power under the hood of many SUVs, you'd beat the M3 in some percentage of tests, there is no question. That doesn't make it a sportscar. A Bentley GT, for example, could beat a Mazda Miata on any course that involved long straight aways (because of its massive power), but it doesn't make it a sportscar, whereas a Miata certainly is.

I guess it is just the definition of sportscar, but in my mind, it means two doors, light, good power to weight ratio, good, responsive steering and great brakes.

Since the Cayenne is four door, heavy, reasonable power to weight ratio and reasonable steering with decent brakes, it comes close but isnt a sportscar.

By the way, everytime I drive the Cayenne I wonder why I would want a sportscar for the street. It is hard for me to justify having anything else (except maybe that it likes its gas).

:werd:

Don't forget how much that top model Cayenne costs compared to an M3, it better be able to beat an M3.

khtm
03-10-2008, 09:08 PM

Proof? Link? I call BS.

E36M3
03-10-2008, 09:16 PM
True.. for the money you get a ton of power, and on paper it might seem fast, but I still think an M3 would smash it on most tracks.. I am pretty sure the Cayenne Turbo S would have a lot of trouble even keeping up to an E36 M3 (let along an E92) on a track without huge straight aways, especially if it was more than a couple laps.

Originally posted by TegLover

:werd:

Don't forget how much that top model Cayenne costs compared to an M3, it better be able to beat an M3.

Mitsu3000gt
03-10-2008, 10:19 PM
The V6 ones are a little underpowered, and I would probably buy a different vehicle but the S, Turbo, and Turbo S are all great. I drove the Turbo S and that thing absolutely hauls ass. Fantastic interior too, very, very nice vehicle. Apparently, they are surprisingly capable off road but I'm not sure who would do that :)

E36M3
03-10-2008, 10:31 PM
I take all my trucks offroad.. The Turbo S sucks offroad because the tires aren't really suitable, but if I could find some decent tires and wheels to clear the brakes, it would be pretty decent.. nothing like the G Wagon though.

Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
The V6 ones are a little underpowered, and I would probably buy a different vehicle but the S, Turbo, and Turbo S are all great. I drove the Turbo S and that thing absolutely hauls ass. Fantastic interior too, very, very nice vehicle. Apparently, they are surprisingly capable off road but I'm not sure who would do that :)

jgiro403
03-11-2008, 12:31 PM
I personally wouldn't go for the Cayenne unless it was the turbo version.

If you want something with not only a lower insurance premium, but the exact same quality... get the VW Touareg...

Pretty much the same vehicle.. minor differences.

bspot
03-11-2008, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by jgiro403
I personally wouldn't go for the Cayenne unless it was the turbo version.

If you want something with not only a lower insurance premium, but the exact same quality... get the VW Touareg...

Pretty much the same vehicle.. minor differences.

I agree. And MUCH better looking in my opinion.

littledan
03-11-2008, 03:08 PM
How does this vehicle compare to the Range Rover HSE Sport? My girlfriens parents are looking at either this vehicle or the Cayenne S. Interior, material quality, ride quality, reliability etc??

E36M3
03-11-2008, 03:17 PM
The Range Rover Sport compares very favorably, but I would guess that it won't be as reliable. After 18 months, a friend of mine says that he hears squeaks that didn't used to be there, and did not have that experience with the full size Range Rover. The Cayenne (from the feedback I've heard anecdotally as well as in my own experience) remains solid.

If they are going to keep it for only a couple years, I doubt there would be a significant reliability difference and it would come down to personal preference more than anything.

The VW Tourag and Cayenne are not similar cars, despite sharing some pieces.. they definitely have very distinct feels to them and were engineered separately by different companies. The Audi Q7 (although also based on the same chassis) again has a completely different feel and is even more car-life than the Tourag. The electronics in the Tourag have also proven to be very problematic whereas I have seen no issues with the Cayenne (other than tire pressure sensors which have been an issue in every car I've had in the extreme cold)

Originally posted by littledan
How does this vehicle compare to the Range Rover HSE Sport? My girlfriens parents are looking at either this vehicle or the Cayenne S. Interior, material quality, ride quality, reliability etc??

ExOz
03-11-2008, 06:54 PM
"Not saying the cayenne IS a sports car"

Maybe e36m3 can get his mother to read the above line to him, and then explain it?

ZorroAMG
03-11-2008, 07:12 PM
Maybe n00bs can be a little more informed and less rude before slagging senior, highly respected members?

E36M3
03-11-2008, 07:15 PM
What the hell are you talking about? Is that a question or a statement? Try re-reading the post if you can't understand it and if you a specific question, feel free to ask.

The Cayenne is clearly not a sportscar.. not sure where you went wrong. Maybe ask your probation officer to read it to you.

"Not saying the cayenne IS a sports car"

Maybe e36m3 can get his mother to read the above line to him, and then explain it?

962 kid
03-11-2008, 07:18 PM
Originally posted by ZorroAMG
Maybe n00bs can be a little more informed and less rude before slagging senior, highly respected members?

I wouldn't expect anything more from that tool, he's been nothing but a BMW driver since he signed up. Since he's thinking of buying an expensive car, everyone else should lick his superior testicles.

I like the cayenne a lot. it's great for cruising around town. It feels very different than the tourag (in a good way) and the interior is miles ahead quality wise. It feels more like a station wagon than a SUV and the brakes are awesome, although a little touchy at lower speeds.

E36M3
03-11-2008, 07:19 PM
Who are you calling a noob? :)

ZorroAMG
03-11-2008, 07:22 PM
Who are you calling a noob? :)

ExOz = n00b

You = senior Hi-res. member.

:D

Am I wrong?

E36M3
03-11-2008, 07:22 PM
I always thought Porsche drivers were even bigger pricks than BMW drivers.. (?)

Anyway, the Cayenne is more like a minivan than a station wagon, but certainly handles better than any other SUV I've driven. The Tourag definitely feels like an SUV.. you are right though, it is way too simplistic to think of them as being the same vehicle as they are radically different.

Which Cayenne did you drive? The Turbo/Turbo S have great brakes, very catchy and not as grabby as the early Cayenne S I drove, but have phenomenal modulation and stopping power, much like a 911 turbo or maybe even closer to the Bentley GT/Flying Spur.

Very catchy? What the hell does that mean?

Originally posted by 962 kid

I wouldn't expect anything more from that tool, he's been nothing but a BMW driver since he signed up.

I like the cayenne a lot for cruising around town. It feels very different than the tourag (in a good way) and the interior is miles ahead quality wise. It feels more like a station wagon than a SUV and the brakes are awesome, although a little touchy at lower speeds.

E36M3
03-11-2008, 07:28 PM
dork

ExOz = n00b

You = senior Hi-res. member.

:D

Am I wrong?

962 kid
03-11-2008, 07:38 PM
I always thought Porsche drivers were even bigger pricks than BMW drivers.. (?)

Anyway, the Cayenne is more like a minivan than a station wagon, but certainly handles better than any other SUV I've driven. The Tourag definitely feels like an SUV.. you are right though, it is way too simplistic to think of them as being the same vehicle as they are radically different.

Which Cayenne did you drive? The Turbo/Turbo S have great brakes, very catchy and not as grabby as the early Cayenne S I drove, but have phenomenal modulation and stopping power, much like a 911 turbo or maybe even closer to the Bentley GT/Flying Spur.

Very catchy? What the hell does that mean?

I've actually never driven a cayenne turbo, so I'm not sure how it compares to 911 turbo brakes. Either way it's not really a complaint as it takes no more than 5 minutes to get used to it and they feel fantastic at speed.

BMW drivers have become synonymous with douchebags on beyond haha. Maybe if there were more porsche driving members, they'd all be considered douchebags but until that time comes, exoz is still a chump.

ZorroAMG
03-11-2008, 07:47 PM
dork

:(

lol

E36M3
03-11-2008, 08:07 PM
I know.. was just trying to rile you up a bit.. since I have driven both, I am a double douche.

Anyway, imagine being such a chump that you try to compare an M3 to a Cayenne and make it seem like a deficiency of the Cayenne that they would even be mentioned in the same breath.To me, that is a huge victory for a huge, luxurious sport utility that my grandmother would be happy to drive. I'm not exactly a purist I guess..

Anyway, I'll see how the CGT compares to the Cayenne Turbo S and let you know (just to make yet another ridiculous comparison), but I think it might be a bit faster on the track. Guess Porsche sportscars are faster than BMW pieces of shit.

Originally posted by 962 kid

I've actually never driven a cayenne turbo, so I'm not sure how it compares to 911 turbo brakes. Either way it's not really a complaint as it takes no more than 5 minutes to get used to it and they feel fantastic at speed.

BMW drivers have become synonymous with douchebags on beyond haha. Maybe if there were more porsche driving members, they'd all be considered douchebags but until that time comes, exoz is still a chump.

962 kid
03-11-2008, 08:25 PM
Anyway, I'll see how the CGT compares to the Cayenne Turbo S and let you know (just to make yet another ridiculous comparison), but I think it might be a bit faster on the track. Guess Porsche sportscars are faster than BMW pieces of shit.

I thought we concluded that the cayenne isn't a sportscar ;) That sounds less ridiculous than comparing the turbo S with any other SUV though.

ZorroAMG
03-12-2008, 01:22 AM
It's more than ridiculous...

It's ridiculars.

rc2002
03-12-2008, 09:28 AM
Maybe this will sway your decision:

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/163211/porsche-posts-33200-average-profit-per-vehicle/

It's supposed to be pretty reliable, but given the pathetic number of standard options that come on a Cayenne, that's not saying much.

Buy the car for the name, but not for anything else. It's not good in the value department, looks department, or performance department.