PDA

View Full Version : Is Changing the Cluster Illegal?

Weapon_R
02-26-2008, 03:59 PM
Does anyone know if it is illegal to privately swap over the gauge cluster from a MPH set to KPH setup as long as you retain the original mileage?

I have read that it is "illegal to tamper with your speedometer" but I don't know what 'tamper' means. I know that dealerships and repair shops replace and repair them all the time, but is there any implication with me doing it myself rather than having a shop do it for me?

legendboy
02-26-2008, 04:19 PM
It would be illegal for you to swap in a KPH gauge and modify the odometer to match your current odo.

However it would not be illegal for you to swap it out and report the change with details to the registries.

Sounds kinda dumb but thats the law. Can't tamper with an odometer, even if you are being honest.

Kona9
02-26-2008, 04:27 PM
I used to export trucks to the US. I would remove, reprogram, and or reface the guages to match MPH from KPH. (legally of course)

You are not able to modify the reading of your odometer, but changing the cluster itself is legit.

You can also call Mr Speedometer and check with them for all questions.

Mr. Speedometer Inc.
Record Taximeter & Toplight
505 - 53 Avenue, S.E.,
Calgary, Alberta T2H 0N5
1-800-661-1649
403-258-2909 Phone
403-255-4953 Fax
www.mrspeedometer.com
www.recordtaximeter.com

(I did not work for him, although the company I worked for has closed the doors due to the dollar change a few years back)

Weapon_R
02-26-2008, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by legendboy
It would be illegal for you to swap in a KPH gauge and modify the odometer to match your current odo.

However it would not be illegal for you to swap it out and report the change with details to the registries.

Sounds kinda dumb but thats the law. Can't tamper with an odometer, even if you are being honest.

So what you're saying is that if my car had 100k miles, and I found a cluster with 162k km (100mph=162km), that would be fine, but it's illegal to buy a cdn cluster with 100k km, and move the numbers so it reads 162k km?

rorah
02-26-2008, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R

So what you're saying is that if my car had 100k miles, and I found a cluster with 162k km (100mph=162km), that would be fine, but it's illegal to buy a cdn cluster with 100k km, and move the numbers so it reads 162k km?

I would also like to do the same.
my car has 130k+/- and I bought a cluster that has 60k+/- on it and want to roll it ahead.

could a dealership do it?

tom_9109
02-26-2008, 09:04 PM
There is a sticker you are supposed to put on the vehicle that shows the old odometers reading and the new ones reading so that it can still be determined.

hellraiser456
02-28-2008, 09:16 AM
the only concren would be to make sure the new cluster is higher than the one you have....reason being is you can actually check the milage of a car. so if it claims to have 100k miles at the regestries...and it says 100k km...that is when you get into trouble.