PDA

View Full Version : Newbie to driving lowered car.

anhsicun
02-26-2008, 11:58 PM
any one wanna give some good tips. i know u always have to drive in a angle when leaving some parking, drive way and steep hills buut how much of the angle. sometime it just hard to do when thier alot of traffic and wat about train tracks do u drive over slowly if u have big rims ?? for example on blackfoot trial between Manhtaten RD and 58th thier a traintrack in the middle of the rd. ur going 80, do u slow down a lil bit whne u get to the tracks or just continue thru doing 80.

i also wanna know wat places in calgary that u should avoid casue it impossible to get in and out. Like TD mall underground parking lot is it possible to get inout of thier with a 1.5. 2 inch drop ???

Sharpie
02-27-2008, 12:01 AM
2 inch drop wont do much... i wouldn't be worried.

MaDpOo
02-27-2008, 12:06 AM
the angle will always depend on how steep the slant is...there is no certain angle

just avoid driving fast that is the main idea :burnout:

market mall underground parking lot has some pretty steep speed bumps =]

Brutucus
02-27-2008, 12:12 AM
make sure your tire pressure is good
avoid pot holes

GTS Jeff
02-27-2008, 12:52 AM
Always do 38 degree angles and always travel 38 km/h over bumps. It's easy to remember because both numbers are the same.

If there are cars around, fuck em, they don't know what it's like to drive a high performance sports car with racing modz.

adidas
02-27-2008, 12:58 AM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff
Always do 38 degree angles and always travel 38 km/h over bumps. It's easy to remember because both numbers are the same.

If there are cars around, fuck em, they don't know what it's like to drive a high performance sports car with racing modz.

Couldnt agree with you more, but i do believe that driving at a 38.7 degree angle will give you the best responce time out of the incline/decline, very useful when entering a high traffic zone.

sexualbanana
02-27-2008, 12:58 AM
Originally posted by anhsicun
for example on blackfoot trial between Manhtaten RD and 58th thier a traintrack in the middle of the rd. ur going 80, do u slow down a lil bit whne u get to the tracks or just continue thru doing 80.

Is that the one by the Tim Hortons and Shaw GMC? If that's the one, I found the outside lanes going both directions to be a more gentle crossing.

For the most part, you'll learn through trial and error where you can't go (which is surprisingly less than you think), or won't go (which can be surprisingly be more). My civic was ridiculously low and for the most part, I was good in most places. There were obvious places where the grade was too steep, but I rarely encountered them in my daily driving. Speed is the most important factor though. I've entered the same lots going at pretty similar angles but different speeds, and that seems to be the deciding factor in whether I scrape or not.

There will also be times when you'll just have to bite the bullet and scrape. You'll learn to avoid and recognize those situations as you get used to it.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, often the length of your car is a big factor too. A friend has a less aggressive drop on his car than mine (which is very conservative to begin with at 1"), but because his car is a lot longer, he scrapes his exhaust a lot more often than I do, plus he has a higher chance of high-centering himself.

brandon
02-27-2008, 12:59 AM
You also have to park on an angle now in parking lots.. Try and take up 2 spots at a minimum.
alot of people these days are forgetting about this...

FreakinPrince
02-27-2008, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by brandon
You also have to park on an angle now in parking lots.. Try and take up 2 spots at a minimum.
alot of people these days are forgetting about this...

mind explaining this idea?

anhsicun
02-27-2008, 12:40 PM
thanks for all teh advice :), also any experience driving down TD mall underground parking>>??? everytime i go thier i get scared to go down so i park down he next block. sometiem i wish i can just go down so lazy to walk at times

rc2002
02-27-2008, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by sexualbanana

For the most part, you'll learn through trial and error where you can't go

:werd:

There are some places in town that cars will scrape even when they're not lowered. It's only a matter of time before you damage your car - that's when you learn.

This is exactly why I don't understand the concept of lowering a daily driver. Especially when the damping isn't matched properly. It's a mod that's a pain in the ass.

DonJuan
02-27-2008, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by FreakinPrince

mind explaining this idea?

By angle parking and taking up 2 spots, at the before mentioned angles of between 38 degrees to 38.7 degrees, reduces the curb to coil ratio and reduces the coriolis effect for the vehicle while increasing the arroz nature of the lowered vehicle in question.

AG_Styles
02-27-2008, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by DonJuan

By angle parking and taking up 2 spots, at the before mentioned angles of between 38 degrees to 38.7 degrees, reduces the curb to coil ratio and reduces the coriolis effect for the vehicle while increasing the arroz nature of the lowered vehicle in question.

dont forget what the Milankovitch cycle adds to to the vehicle in that positon by providing beneficial s-waves that stabalize the car in all 4 coils.

in all seriousness, a 2'' drop is a lil bit of a pain, but it's not as bad. Avoid potholes, go on angles when crossing parking lot bumps and take it slow.

teknical
02-27-2008, 01:44 PM
:rofl: :rofl: this thread is hilarious

Trial and error is the way i learned, with an s13 slammed on a stock rim/tire setup. I put some nice big dents in my exhaust, flattened my downpipe, and took a nice chunk out of my front bumper. These were all first time errors, plan your trips :thumbsup:

black13
02-27-2008, 02:17 PM
You just learn it as you go. Entering most small malls that have a high steep as you enter is very difficult especially if your entering from the other side of the road.

Try to know your daily routes and figure out where the bumps are so even if your driving at night you won't get caught off guard and drive slow/speed limit and don't get too close to other cars so you have space to swerve around a pot hole and such.

Quinsonaaa
02-27-2008, 02:22 PM
what about if you have a lowered car with a front lip????

Jackc
02-27-2008, 02:27 PM
Depending on how low you are some things will be unavoidable (mostly bumps on the streets you aren't familiar with or don't drive everyday.) Expect to scrape every once in a while with a lowered car. Mine scrapes lots...cant wait to go lower this summer :)

ZorroAMG
02-27-2008, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by AG_Styles

dont forget what the Milankovitch cycle adds to to the vehicle in that positon by providing beneficial s-waves that stabalize the car in all 4 coils.

in all seriousness, a 2'' drop is a lil bit of a pain, but it's not as bad. Avoid potholes, go on angles when crossing parking lot bumps and take it slow.

This post is full of Win. Notice how you sound all smart for a second, then you spell "stabilize" wrong?

Glad to help...

Spoons
02-27-2008, 08:51 PM
Yeah 2" is nothing. I drove a slammed S10 with a 5-7 drop. There was not a single speed bump in Calgary that I didn't scrap on. My down pipe was a little worn down, but luckily it had side steps before the drop, so the frame protected my oil pan and all that stuff.

In general don't be a tool. If there are lots of cars around, don't go at an angle. You dropped your car, you take the consequences of it dragging a bit. I did it all the time. If I had room and no one was around me, I went at an angle. If there were cars, I just went straight, and trust me with a 5-7 drop, you scraped the WHOLE way.

arian_ma
02-27-2008, 08:53 PM
Pump your brakes and drive slow hommie.

Graham_A_M
02-28-2008, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by Spoons
Yeah 2" is nothing. I drove a slammed S10 with a 5-7 drop. There was not a single speed bump in Calgary that I didn't scrap on. My down pipe was a little worn down, but luckily it had side steps before the drop, so the frame protected my oil pan and all that stuff.

In general don't be a tool. If there are lots of cars around, don't go at an angle. You dropped your car, you take the consequences of it dragging a bit. I did it all the time. If I had room and no one was around me, I went at an angle. If there were cars, I just went straight, and trust me with a 5-7 drop, you scraped the WHOLE way.

air-ride is your friend.:)

88CRX
02-28-2008, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by Spoons

Making people wait an extra 5 or 10 seconds isn't going to kill them. I've done it before haha.

However in this case a 2" drop is laughable.... you'll half to try to scrape. Daily driving you'll be fine 99% of the time.

MaDpOo
02-28-2008, 09:40 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FZ00beT9sg

Hydraulics For The Wind :clap: :clap: