PDA

View Full Version : Audi S4

hjr
02-27-2008, 02:11 PM
Yo yo

so in the interest of getting an s4, I am looking for opinions and issues from s4 types who know what is up.

so basically, im pretty sure the v8 is the way to go, and the 3rd and 4th gen are pretty much the same mechanically, but quite different cosmetically. The 5th gen is due sometime next year i understand, but thats not an option due to cost.

any opinions or help would be great. S4??? yay or nay, and which one

R-Audi
02-27-2008, 02:14 PM
5th Gen isnt due for at least another 1-2 years I beleive.. (B8) as the A4 was just recently publically unveiled.
I dont know of many large issues with the V8... I have an '00 with the BiTurbo V6 and absolutely love it..but thats a whole different story.

Best advice I can give is to search Audiworld... they should be able to provide a better list of what to look for.

rc2002
02-27-2008, 02:21 PM
I say get the 4th gen just for the cosmetics. 3rd gen is starting to look really dated.

syeve
02-27-2008, 02:24 PM
I have an 04. It is my first German car (all Japanese previous) and I really love this car. I have read quite a bit online (www.audiworld.com , www.audiforums.com) and as far as reliability they are quite strong. No major issues or reoccuring problems.

I had a 350z and my S4 would destroy it in everyway as far as Im concerned.

It was a BLAST to drive in the winter (felt at home in the snow and ice)

Love the styling and interior. Top notch materials, Recaro seats (like 18 power :)) Awesome sound system. Apperently a bullet proof transmission. I don't drive that fast anymore so I have never really pushed it.

Highway driving is unreal. in 6th at 125kms you are at the peak tourque...you can pass in 6th and be hitting 170-180 by the time you get back in the other lane.

Power everything, rear sunshade, side view mirrors etc.

The bad.

Really, the only thing annoying is the gas consumption. It is humorous. This is minor considering I knew it was going to bad, and shouldn't really complain about it.

Some have had issues with "chipping" or wearing out of the instrument labels (i.e. cupholder, nav buttons) but I have not experienced this.

Audi's are expensive to fix. Period. If you need new brakes, timing chain, etc it WILL be expensive.

Overall, for 45k ish (assuming you want one with low kms) you can have a v8 AWD, drive it year round and you will beat an M3 around a track.

syeve
02-27-2008, 02:27 PM
http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m186/Syeve/DSC01062.jpg

gpomp
02-27-2008, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by syeve
will beat an M3 around a track. are you sure?? the S4 has 7 more hp and 400 more lbs, most of it over the front axle...

syeve
02-27-2008, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by gpomp
are you sure?? the S4 has 7 more hp and 400 more lbs, most of it over the front axle...

Just going by what top gear says on their test (Stig). I can't back it up any further...but I do believe it.

Slightly slower in a straight line but..

M3 - 1:31.8
S4 - 1:30.9

Eu5tOSu25C4

gpomp
02-27-2008, 05:47 PM
weird. i remember rage2 talking about them one time. i think he's driven both at the track and he says the m3 was faster.

modded46
02-27-2008, 10:07 PM
I'd buy a S4 for sure.. very nice auto.. :thumbsup:

syeve
02-28-2008, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by gpomp
weird. i remember rage2 talking about them one time. i think he's driven both at the track and he says the m3 was faster.

Could be, I have never tracked either, so I really shouldn't say anything. I guess you could settle on they would be very quick around a track. :D

r3cc0s
02-28-2008, 11:16 AM
has anyone ever driven the RS4?

invisibleman
02-28-2008, 11:33 AM
Just sold my 04 S4 about a month ago, it was a solid car, loved it.. but waiting for the S5 now, can't wait :) But I had no serious problems, my radio was peeling but was replaced under warranty no problem. I suggest you look at an 05 with low kilometers so that you still have warranty on the car. I would never buy an Audi without warranty, that's for sure. If you're into performance mods and stuff the S4 doesn't have much in terms of that, just suspension, exhaust, intake and that's about it.. I've read the chip is not really worth it on NA cars so I wouldn't even bother with that. Get one, you won't be disappointed!

Canmorite
02-28-2008, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by r3cc0s
has anyone ever driven the RS4?

Very nice car. Tons of power, and feels really stable at speed. Love the 'S' button too haha. It's a perfect daily driver car for year round.

Reap
02-28-2008, 01:02 PM
great car but also pretty unreliable.

hjr
02-29-2008, 04:36 AM
Originally posted by Reap
great car but also pretty unreliable. as per what? if you make such statements, please elaborate

Mitsu3000gt
02-29-2008, 09:22 AM
Originally posted by Reap
great car but also pretty unreliable.

Everything I've read, including numerous testimonies from actual owners, suggests these cars are pretty well bulletproof and extremely reliable with the exception of 2004 S4's with a build date before November 2003. I was going to buy one before I decided to keep my B5 so I looked into it extensively. Also, as I think was previously mentioned, there aren't many cars, if any, that can match the audi interior with the exception of exotics :thumbsup:

FiveFreshFish
02-29-2008, 08:13 PM
I bought a new B5 S4 and there was only one minor problem with the driver's door lock pin that was discovered during the delivery inspection. I owned it for 23 months without another problem.

bigbadboss101
02-29-2008, 09:15 PM
The S4 is very nice. The RS4 is nice. Quite a bit cheaper in the states.

S3rious~
02-29-2008, 10:36 PM
doesnt the B5 S4 have alot of problems? that one faq in audiforums says if you have a grand to drop on maintenance every time the car goes in the shop then buy it other than that dont get it, soo i dont know personal preference i guess..

Cody D
03-02-2008, 02:30 PM
I know a guy who is selling his 06 S4 for $46,000.00, it's black and it's auto. Nice car.

Tik-Tok
03-02-2008, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by S3rious~
one faq in audiforums says if you have a grand to drop on maintenance every time the car goes in the shop

That sound about right for an oil change at an Audi dealership...

Redlyne_mr2
03-02-2008, 03:38 PM
Interesting to see them talk down about the SMG when so many people swear by it.

bspot
03-02-2008, 04:11 PM
I was between an E46 M3 and a B6 S4.

I think for sure the M3 was a bit quicker.

For me, I drive it year round, and quattro is just too bloody fun on the snow.

Interior wise, the M3 felt almost exactly like my friends 328 inside, and really felt on the cheap and shitty side for a car with that price tag. I didn't test an SMG, but the manual transmission and clutch in the M3 felt like ass compared to the S4. One of the S4's I test drove had 100,000km on it, and it was so much tighter than the M3 with 60,000km. The M3 had lots of squeaks and rattles. This could have been car specific, but still, I was very impressed with how well the high mileage S4 had held up. I ended up getting one with only 41,000km on it, and most people that get a ride in it and don't know cars very well had thought that I bought it brand new.

If you buy a used one from an Audi dealership you can get 1.9% financing and 2 years of warranty tacked on to whatever's left (if any).

I will say, Audi service is shit. Like absolute crap. I ended up having to replace my own coil pack on a car that was under warranty so I wouldn't be without it for 5 days.

And I definitely don't mean to come in here and trash the M3. If I lived somewhere that didn't get snow that would have been an obvious choice for me. They are renowned for a reason and obviously great cars.

Mitsu3000gt
03-02-2008, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by S3rious~
doesnt the B5 S4 have alot of problems? that one faq in audiforums says if you have a grand to drop on maintenance every time the car goes in the shop then buy it other than that dont get it, soo i dont know personal preference i guess..

The only issues a B5 S4 really has is the throttle body boot and the F hose, both replaced for about $70 with SAMCO units, and the diverter valves, replaced with bulletproof units for less than $100. Aside from that it's just like any other car: Abuse the shit out of the turbos or the rest of the car, and you will be replacing things. I've had mine for almost 3 years now with no issues other than regular maintenance. There are people on the forums whose cars are chipped with over 260,000 kms on stock turbos.

To the OP, check out this car and driver article: http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/hot_lists/high_performance/performance_files_tested_by_c_d/the_middleweights_compact_adrenaline_delivery_systems_comparison_test+page-4.html

Compared to the M3 and C32AMG they say the S4 is in a class of its own, however they all trapped the same in the 1/4 mile.