PDA

View Full Version : How do I pronounce this?

Kloubek
02-28-2008, 09:09 AM
Hey guys... I have a sweet second interview at a local IT company. I'm meeting the owner today, and his name is Adan. How do I pronounce this - does anyone know? Eh-Dan, or Ah-Dan? I don't want to start off on the wrong foot by calling him by the incorrect name. :)

(This is in the careers section, only because this could be my new job!)

02-28-2008, 09:11 AM
Aye-Dan?

Kona9
02-28-2008, 09:16 AM
Ah-dahn would be my guess.

I have an Iraqi friend named Adnan. Ahd-nahn.

Ferio_vti
02-28-2008, 09:17 AM
Maybe pronounced like Adam.

I seriously wouldn't worry about mispronouncing his name. But if it bothers you that much, you should just ask him when you first see him. Save him correcting or you going around saying the wrong thing.

Canmorite
02-28-2008, 09:19 AM
I'm thinking eh-din. With no space and say it quickly..

icecreamvan
02-28-2008, 09:25 AM
Call and ask the receptionist??

American = "A"-"Den"
Middle East = "Ah"-"Dan"

DENZILDON
02-28-2008, 09:27 AM
Just ask him politely when the interview starts...:dunno:

sputnik
02-28-2008, 09:27 AM
Chances are he has his name mispronounced all of the time and is used to it.

Be humble and apologetic for potentially being wrong and give it your best guess. I am sure he will understand. Just make sure that when he corrects you that you don't get it wrong after that.

B17a
02-28-2008, 09:29 AM
Show up a few minutes early and ask the receptionist.

rc2002
02-28-2008, 09:38 AM
Call him Mr. (insert last name here).

LuxCars
02-28-2008, 09:44 AM
Originally posted by Canmorite
I'm thinking eh-din. With no space and say it quickly..

:werd:
thats how i read it when i read your post.

why not just call him buddy, and sir throughout the whole interview.

Kloubek
02-28-2008, 09:47 AM
I'll ask the receptionist to confirm. She seemed real friendly the first time.

Thanks guys! If I get this job, I'm sure you'll see me cycle through a couple very nice cars.... ;)

JRSC00LUDE
02-28-2008, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by richardchan2002
Call him Mr. (insert last name here).

Thanks for pointing out what should be obvious. Why you would start an interview off by calling the boss by his first name is beyond me (no pun intended haha). Pretty presumptuous to assume you can call him by his first name when you've never met him, not very respectful imo.

Canadian 2.5RS
02-28-2008, 09:49 AM
When you see him just walk up, stick out your hand, and say your name. Most people will instinctively say their own.

01RedDX
02-28-2008, 11:01 AM

Graham_A_M
02-28-2008, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by B17a
Show up a few minutes early and ask the receptionist.
:werd:

broken_legs
02-29-2008, 12:09 AM
"ah"-"dahn"

DJturbo
02-29-2008, 12:18 AM
Well im Adam

So Id think its Ad 'Ann

dr_jared88
02-29-2008, 12:20 AM
Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE

Thanks for pointing out what should be obvious. Why you would start an interview off by calling the boss by his first name is beyond me (no pun intended haha). Pretty presumptuous to assume you can call him by his first name when you've never met him, not very respectful imo.

:werd: Besides I can almost guarantee he'll say his name as you guys introduce yourselves

topazdude
02-29-2008, 12:20 AM
ya i have to go with Ad-an

LongCity
02-29-2008, 12:23 AM
Don't beat around the bush, just call him BOOOWWSSSS!

Isaiah
02-29-2008, 12:26 AM
"What's shakin brother?"

jay42w8
02-29-2008, 12:41 AM
"Wat up G"

Why don't you just ask him politely...its good small talk, tell him its an intesting name and ask his family background...you can't do that with a Bob..good chance to build repoire (I don't know how to spell that word?).

Isaiah
02-29-2008, 12:45 AM
Originally posted by jay42w8
"Wat up G"

Why don't you just ask him politely...its good small talk, tell him its an intesting name and ask his family background...you can't do that with a Bob..good chance to build repoire (I don't know how to spell that word?).
Can't build what you can't spell. Rapport.

Kloubek
02-29-2008, 12:49 AM
So guys - it turns out it was pronounced Eye-Dan. Go figure. The dude wasn't even brown - which somewhat surprised me....

Good interview for the record. I asked a question to ensure I would be a good fit, and I suspect they'll make me an offer tomorrow. Very excited. :)

~Leah~
02-29-2008, 10:15 AM
Gosh... is anyone staying at our work these days? By the time my mat leave is up, I'm not gonna know anyone anymore.... good luck Jeff! Have you heard back yet?

blownz
02-29-2008, 10:59 AM

My saying Mr. ____ you sound like a pathetic little high school kid looking for a job in the mail room. I have never in my life worked for someone that wanted to be called Mr. ____ and I have never expected it from anyone that works for me or wants to work for me. If everyone is an adult there should be no reason for such a formality.

And if he wanted to be called Mr. _____ , whoever contacted him from the company would have told him he has an interview with Mr. ____ , not Adan.

BTW, since you have had the interview already, good luck on getting an offer with what you are looking for. :thumbsup: I'm personally waiting to hear back from a company after having a second and third interview this week although after the last interview I'm having second thoughts of wanting to go there but we'll see what happens. :)

ZorroAMG
02-29-2008, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by blownz

My saying Mr. ____ you sound like a pathetic little high school kid looking for a job in the mail room. I have never in my life worked for someone that wanted to be called Mr. ____ and I have never expected it from anyone that works for me or wants to work for me.

Wut?? It's called courtesy and respect to strangers. I have had people much older than me that were new clients call me Mr. G. It is a sign of respect. I would then say, call me Mark and we all move on.

It has NOTHING to do with highschool pathetic and just because McDonalds doesnt want you calling each other Mr. and Miss, doesn't mean other companies follow suit.

:banghead: at this lame, young entitled generation.

finboy
02-29-2008, 01:25 PM
gan-ime...gone-im-ee....ganim-eh.....

:D

ZorroAMG
02-29-2008, 01:48 PM
Or, as one telemarketer called me:

Gan-Time.

Me: "WTF, SIR, do you SEE a "T" in my last name?? Read it again!"

W00t! It's Ghan-Time, alllll the time! hahaha

JRSC00LUDE
02-29-2008, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by blownz

My saying Mr. ____ you sound like a pathetic little high school kid looking for a job in the mail room. I have never in my life worked for someone that wanted to be called Mr. ____ and I have never expected it from anyone that works for me or wants to work for me. If everyone is an adult there should be no reason for such a formality.

Whether they want to be called it or not is irrelevant, when you first meet someone you should be respectful. Of course 99% of the people will say "Pleased to meet you, call me Mike" or whatever but you have no business making that decision for them. Of course, if they greet you with "Hi, I'm Mike" you don't need the formality but the point is that it's presumptuous of you to assume you know the potential boss doesn't care about formalities.

I guess simple gestures of respect are lost on you kids today, I don't know....

403Gemini
02-29-2008, 02:16 PM

Indeed, this also paves the road for the boss to respond "Ah, drop the formalities, call me <insert proper pronounced name here>"

ZorroAMG
02-29-2008, 02:28 PM
I think from now on the new standard should be:

Ha guys! I'm ready for mai Jobz!

icecreamvan
02-29-2008, 02:33 PM
"Show me your uppercut, son."

blownz
02-29-2008, 02:54 PM
lol why does everyone here like to call people 'kids' when they haven't a clue how old they are. lol

Anyway, I just got back from a meeting with the accounting firm we use and I was introduced to their newest partner and a new lawyer that is working for them and looking into some stuff for me. I was thinking about this thread when I was there and everyone in the room started off with first names and some of these people were fairly 'important'.

Also I just had a second and third interview this week with a company and the people I met were all from Toronto or the US and high up in the company. I had interview agenda's emailed to me before hand and when I went to the company I asked at reception for the executive secretary who then took my jacket, got me a drink and took me to the boardroom where the others were waiting. Everything was very professional and not once were last names even used. I think it would have just been awkward.

Maybe in some areas or industries it is more common or maybe it is because I am in my 30's already and not that young anymore, but I just personally only see the use of a title when it is coming from a 'kid'. :dunno:

If someone showed up for an interview with me and called me Mr. I think I would laugh and tell them I'm not their teacher. lol