PDA

View Full Version : how does one become an elementary school teacher? what is the salary and benefits lik

kaishen
02-28-2008, 11:10 AM
anyone know?

Crymson
02-28-2008, 11:24 AM
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y30/fire_fly21/lilsispool2006yo0copy.jpg

I kid -- but i'm pretty sure you'll need a Bachelors of Education.

My sister in law is a teacher in Airdrie, i thinkstarting is high 30's or low 40's and, i'm not sure about this, but they top out at around 75k for the most senior teachers?

bulaian
02-28-2008, 11:27 AM
http://www.cbe.ab.ca/employment/teaching/PDF/ATAsalarygrid.pdf

with a 4 year degree you'll start at about 45

The Cosworth
02-28-2008, 11:29 AM
They no longer offer the 4 year b.ed but that is what both my parents have, and they teach elementary for Rocky View. My GF is doing the new route right now, you need a degree in something, then apply to the masters of education program.

As for pay, you are unionized so check out the ATA website for a pay scale. At the 10 year level is when you level out.

here is the link for the collective barganing agreement for Rocky View

http://www.teachers.ab.ca/Salary+and+Benefit/Collective+Bargaining/Collective+Agreements/Rocky++View+School+Division+No+41+%282003+-+2009%29.htm

edit: I tried copying the salary table and it comes out awful so roughly for this school year with your 6 years of education and 0 teaching you would get $52,644, at 4/5 you get $63,500, and at 11 year (the first year is only half a step so really 10.5 years)$80,284

USED1
02-28-2008, 11:33 AM
My GF is an elementary school teacher. Benefits are ok and your salary is dependant on your number of years of education and years of service.

picmerollin
02-28-2008, 11:44 AM
my girlfriend is a 1st yr teacher, this is what i know.

get a bachelor of education, then you will have to fight and scrape to get a contract- during this time you will likely have to sub and wait tables to feed yourself.

- the pay is shit if you look at it from a time spent/money received point of view. on top of class time there is hours a day in planning and prep work, plus all the bs volunteer crap they expect you to do ( running clubs, art clubs.....etc)

-only do it if it is your dream and passion, otherwise you will be dissapointed- like my gf

get a business degree if your going to spend 4 yrs in university, you will work less make more and not have to deal with .........(the things some dont consider)

o yeah summers off...sounds like a good idea, but how good is to have 2 months off when you can barely afford to pay rent or own a car. have fun traveling and living off that salary. like i said if it is not your #1 passion you will be disappointed.

ed seems like a back up plan for many people who end up there, that is not the attitude you need- this is a hard job with low pay- if you can deal with that then giver.

all of this may seem horribly negative but i am around this all the time and truly the first yr teacher i know wishes that her degree prepared her more for what was in store and she wishes she would have heard the real accounts of teachers rather than wannabe housewives praising how great the kids are and summers off, they seem to neglect the whole getting treated like a slave until you have a contract so that then you can make new teachers the new slaves.

only do it if it was your life dream!!!
/end rant

Tik-Tok
02-28-2008, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by picmerollin

only do it if it was your life dream!!!

+1

how does one become an elementary school teacher? what is the salary and benefits lik quote:

anyone know

The fact you are asking, kind of indicates it's not your life dream, so I'd look elsewhere. My mother-in-law was an elementary school teacher for 30+ years. It WAS her dream job, she got sick of it after 10. She loved the kids, but I guess there's a whole lot of BS between the teachers (at her school at least)

Manhattan
02-28-2008, 12:20 PM
PM Sorath.

2002civic
02-28-2008, 12:33 PM
benifits? strikes every 3-4 years:thumbsdow

Kritafo
02-28-2008, 12:42 PM
volunteer for clubs....what schools have clubs these days?

My kids school offere nothing before or after school. That is quickly becoming a thing of the past.

You also have to remember they get the summers off that is a huge perk if you are planning on your own children. You will almost always have their holiday off, except for teachers convention....which we all know is a crock.

Reap
02-28-2008, 12:48 PM
i agree, only do if its your life dream.
The pay is not worth it.

blownz
02-28-2008, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by 2002civic
benifits? strikes every 3-4 years:thumbsdow

My mother-in-law is a teacher and she loves the strikes. She was upset they didn't get to strike this winter because she wanted to go on a trip somewhere warm for a few weeks and as a teacher you never get that opportunity. lol

Anyway, I could never do it for any amount of money. I remember when I graduated school 10+ years ago and the job market wasn't as good the teachers were actually starting at really good wages and the guaranteed raises seemed great. Now I just think the people that I knew that went into education are now at only about 70-80k and will be stuck there. Aside from the 2 months off in the summer I am sure my job is easier and makes way more.

So like was mentioned above, only do it if you love it. My mother-in-law actually loves it and has no regrets which is great to know there are teachers like that.

max_boost
02-28-2008, 12:54 PM
My gf is finishing up year 1 at U of C in the French program. You DO NOT do it for the money. The amount of work that is involved and the things she tells me about her gr.1 class would drive any of you guys crazy. Even the teacher said she has never seen such a group of rascals in her 30 years of teaching haha

Aside from that, she is really excelling in her program. I'm trying to get her to do her Masters and pursue other options instead of teaching.

max_boost
02-28-2008, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by Kritafo
volunteer for clubs....what schools have clubs these days?

My kids school offere nothing before or after school. That is quickly becoming a thing of the past.

You also have to remember they get the summers off that is a huge perk if you are planning on your own children. You will almost always have their holiday off, except for teachers convention....which we all know is a crock.

Views of the typical parent. The teachers are never doing enough. You're a stay at home mom. Do a better job taking care of your kids.

heavyD
02-28-2008, 01:02 PM
My wife has a degree in music and education and makes between $65 - 70K as an elementary music teacher. There's pro's and con's. There are alot more poorly behaved childeren compared to when even you were young and it's getting worse now that childeren can't be disciplined so you need alot of patience. You get about 4 months total off in the year but from Sept - July there is alot of hours to be put in after school hours doing report cards or organizing your classes, etc. You have to actually like kids as your career will revolve around them.

Alot of people I know went into it because they thought it would be easy and for the summers off but some of them couldn't handle it.

edit: My wife actually makes $73K/year. I guess I should be on top of those things lol.

403Gemini
02-28-2008, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by max_boost

Views of the typical parent. The teachers are never doing enough. You're a stay at home mom. Do a better job taking care of your kids.

Well said

"Summers off" ?! fucking joking right? Teachers have two months to plan out ten months worth of material, not to mention ciriculum changes that change every year.

Kritafo
02-28-2008, 01:07 PM
my entire family are teachers....It's a far cry from the support I got when I went to school. I never said it was an easy job.

I volunteer between 2 schools...don't even go there. I am at 2 different schools reading, scribing, gluing, pasting photocopying 4 days a week some half days some full days.

try and find a teacher at 3:30 at any school. when I pick up my kids the teachers are speeding out of the teachers parking lot as fast as they can.

Kritafo
02-28-2008, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by 403Gemini

Well said

"Summers off" ?! fucking joking right? Teachers have two months to plan out ten months worth of material, not to mention ciriculum changes that change every year.

How much does the curriculum change...I am allowed to have an opinion. I go to all the school meetings...volunteer for fund raising at every event.

All I hear is complaing from the teachers. 22 kids in a class how outrageous! I went to school with 35 kids in the same class, and it was the same teacher for pretty much the entire day. It's not that way anymore. They can get teachers helpers...student teachers.

My son is 2 years younger than my daughter we kept all her school work because we can pretty much follow exactly what he will be doing next in his current grade. Nothing more nothing less...same courses year after year after year.

heavyD
02-28-2008, 01:12 PM
try and find a teacher at 3:30 at any school. when I pick up my kids the teachers are speeding out of the teachers parking lot as fast as they can.

It's not like that everywhere and they do alot of work at home.

brandon
02-28-2008, 01:13 PM
I am at 2 different schools reading, scribing, gluing, pasting photocopying 4 days a week some half days some full days.

Wow!
Just don't go overwork yourself or anything! :rofl:

USED1
02-28-2008, 01:14 PM
my entire family are teachers....It's a far cry from the support I got when I went to school. I never said it was an easy job.

I volunteer between 2 schools...don't even go there. I am at 2 different schools reading, scribing, gluing, pasting photocopying 4 days a week some half days some full days.

That is what happens when you are at ghetto schools, they don't want to deal with your kids.

My GF is a teacher in one of the more prominent areas with Rocky View and she is rarely home before 5 o'clock and we live 5 minutes from the school.

If I was a teacher I would want to get out of the school as fast as possible so I didn't have to deal with bitching parent's that think there little Johnny is special and that the teacher isn't providing for him enough.

USED1
02-28-2008, 01:15 PM

How much does the curriculum change...I am allowed to have an opinion. I go to all the school meetings...volunteer for fund raising at every event.

All I hear is complaing from the teachers. 22 kids in a class how outrageous! I went to school with 35 kids in the same class, and it was the same teacher for pretty much the entire day. It's not that way anymore. They can get teachers helpers...student teachers.

My son is 2 years younger than my daughter we kept all her school work because we can pretty much follow exactly what he will be doing next in his current grade. Nothing more nothing less...same courses year after year after year.

All I hear is complaining from a typical housewife with nothing better to do. I've got an idea, find a life.

Kritafo
02-28-2008, 01:26 PM
Okay I will tell you my children go to school in Silver Springs. We live in Valley Ridge, the designated school is in Bowness. That is a ghetto school but apparently has some of the best teachers in the city.

My daughter goes to Montgomery Jr High...I have to drive her as well, yes not in the nicest area of town. We choose to have to drive them. My sister is our only living relative in town, and she was living in Silver Springs, that is why we picked that school. Montgomery was just the school all the Silver springs kids go to.

Ghetto school....wouldn't go that far.

+1 for your GF. My son is on an IPP that is why I am at the school all the time.

So....if it's such shitty pay why do it. So many teachers hate their jobs it's obvious to the children. Obvious to the parents.

Kritafo
02-28-2008, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by USED1

All I hear is complaining from a typical housewife with nothing better to do. I've got an idea, find a life. '

I have a wonderful life with my two beautiful children. With Calgary's rising population and new schools private, charter, virtual, etc. I am not the only one not happy.

USED1
02-28-2008, 01:36 PM
So....if it's such shitty pay why do it. So many teachers hate their jobs it's obvious to the children. Obvious to the parents.

Some people do it because they love it. My GF was accepted into medical school but chose to be a teacher because she wanted to make a difference in kid's lives.

5hift
02-28-2008, 01:45 PM
I know not everyone can just send their kids to a private school, but my sister has taught at both, and the differences are huge nowadays. There was a time when private schools offered no benefits really and were just for a image but in Calgary from what I've seen nowdays, that is not the case. The first thing my sister talked about when she swtiched from public to private, was how bad the public school system has gotten. I also dont get where you got 22 kids in each class ... My sister had ~35 in public school and now has ~10 in her private school.

I never really noticed because I dont live with her, but when I came back to Cal and stayed with my sister for a few days, I realized how much work she does on an average day.

My sister is only a junior high teacher and I've seen the amount of work she puts in. She's there a hour before the students every morning when its still completely dark out and most are still sleeping for a few more hours, and despite her last class ending at 3, she never comes home until 6 the earliest between all her after school help and her club/extra curricular activities that she is required to lead.

When she does get home, shes marking, updating/reviewing her class plans for the next day pretty much all night in between supper and stuff until she sleeps. Plus because she is a private school teacher, parents and her students can call her at home with any homework problems or questions up until 9 PM. She is required to come up with a weekly lesson plan that she has to submit so there is a lot of planning ahead. Not to mention because the students buy their own textbooks and keep them, the school changes the curriculum completely year to year preventing her from reusing lessons.

Becoming a teacher is a life choice, not choosing a profession. Its a very hard job that does not pay well and consumes most your free time. On top of that, imagine staying up late marking assignments or coming up with a lesson, only to have parents who themselves wont spend the time complain the next day. I remember one thing my sister told to me when she was at a public school, after her first parent teacher interviews, how out of some 35 kids in her class, roughly 20 of the kids parents showed. Out of the 20 couples that showed, almost everyone complained similar to how Kritafo is now, about the selfishness of teachers being the reason for their kids bad grades(or not reaching their full potential). Funny thing is though almost every parent who complained couldnt even tell my sister what unit/topic their child was in some of their subjects, yet they were complaining about the grades.

max_boost
02-28-2008, 02:03 PM
There's nothing shitty about being a teacher, it's dealing with shitty parents. Rather than blaming the system and the teachers, it's the parents that need to do more, not the other way around.

How old are you Kritafo? 40? Yeah so back when you were in school, teachers could actually discipline the kids. So handling a class of 35 back then is a lot easier than it is now. Back then, act out of line and *smack*. This is the way it should be. Nowadays, touch the child and oh shit, you are going to have everyone up your ass.

One of my gf's students accused her of hitting him. WTF? Can't believe this 6 year old actually had the audacity to lay that claim. No one did anything about it because they know this kid is a shit disturber.

I must have differing views. When I went through the system, I never blamed my teachers if I wasn't doing well. The onus was always on me. My parents told me that since I was young and it has stuck with me. If I don't do well, I fail. There is nothing more to it.

Schwa
02-28-2008, 02:20 PM
It's hard to quantify what is good teaching. Being a private tutor I see an equal amount of private and public school clients, if that means anything.

I can't say from what I have seen that private school offers better teaching compared to public. They do have way better phys ed programs and extra curricular stuff, though. One of my students was on a golf team...(wish I had a golf team in HS).

If you're going to teach for the money I would suggest private tutoring. I know my old math teacher she used to teach night courses at Chinook college for extra money.

Kritafo
02-28-2008, 02:58 PM
Well I am done with this thread. we all have our opinions.

My one sister teacher Autistic children and she loves every single minute of it. Its' very high stress but she feels very rewarded by it.

I have another sister that teacher Jr High and hates every flipping moment of it. she took this job because she loved children and wanted to make a difference now she can't wait to retire. She is 55, and been around for all the changes.

yes I am 38 ..I had 35 kids in my class and only occasionally did someone get into trouble. We were expected to sit in our desks, be quiet and not talk back. We were afraid of the teachers and most of all the principal. Now everyone wants to be your friend. Kids have no respect. My own children talk back...something I would not have dared to do in my house to my parents. When I grew up we didn't know we had rights as children. Now kids are all, well I will call the police...or I will accuse you of abuse etc.

My son has 22 students in his classroom. Silver Springs is hurting for students, and is one of the only school probably in Calgary that has no busing.

My sisters all went to private school, and they laugh about what they actually did learn while they were there. They have always felt it my parents paid for their grades.

I am sure there are some really good teachers in Calgary. I just don't know too many of them. Actually my sons teacher is wonderful. She truly loves the children and the children just love her.

So do it for the passion and don't worry about the pay. I don't just bitch to hear myself. I bitch to change things, which is the same reason I will be voting. Your opinion is just important to change my mind. So don't call me wrong or typical. I see what I see.

rc2002
02-28-2008, 03:40 PM
I've seen how much work it takes to be a teacher, especially a high school one and I wouldn't do it even if I was paid a 6 figure salary to start.

The only people who make good teachers are ones who have the passion for it. It's definitely not a job where hard work pays off financially. Working harder than your peers won't get you promoted and it won't put you into the next pay grid either. I think that's part of the reason why the education system is failing - all the people who went into education expecting to make a good living aren't so they end up apathetic and dissatisfied.

It would be especially hard in a city like Calgary where everyone likes to compare with the Jones' and where the cost of living has skyrocketed. Imagine working harder than all your neighbors and then see them come home with ever-increasing salaries and bonuses.

Schwa
02-28-2008, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by richardchan2002
I've seen how much work it takes to be a teacher, especially a high school one and I wouldn't do it even if I was paid a 6 figure salary to start.

The only people who make good teachers are ones who have the passion for it. It's definitely not a job where hard work pays off financially. Working harder than your peers won't get you promoted and it won't put you into the next pay grid either. I think that's part of the reason why the education system is failing - all the people who went into education expecting to make a good living aren't so they end up apathetic and dissatisfied.

It would be especially hard in a city like Calgary where everyone likes to compare with the Jones' and where the cost of living has skyrocketed. Imagine working harder than all your neighbors and then see them come home with ever-increasing salaries and bonuses.

Sounds like a union issue more than anything

403Gemini
02-28-2008, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by Schwa

Sounds like a union issue more than anything

SHHH we dont need another strike around calgary

rc2002
02-28-2008, 04:08 PM
They're not allowed to strike now because of the new contract.

They got shafted and they were getting hundreds of dollars skimmed off their paycheck every month because the pension fund didn't have enough money. That's pretty ridiculous - imagine paying $500/month to cover a pension shortfall knowing that you'll never get that money back. It's not even a contribution, it's a jack. Anyway the government covered the shortfall in return for them agreeing not to strike for 5 years.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/edmonton/story/2008/01/30/teachers-deal.html

78si
02-28-2008, 05:23 PM
Its fun if your a shop teacher. :thumbsup:

ZorroAMG
02-28-2008, 06:34 PM
I'm sorry if I sound like a dick here, but if you are coming on to a CAR FORUM with mostly kids posting, for career advice in teaching and you don't already know that it takes a university education, I wouldn't want my kids being taught by you. We need smart, proactive people teaching our youth, not "dum dee dum dum, this sounds like fun" kinda people.

It's sorta common sense, go to school to become a teacher, hunt for a job, then teach.

badatusrnames
02-28-2008, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by max_boost

So true, it's almost as if people expect teachers to replace themselves as parents to their children. It's not a teacher's job to raise your child, be their babysitter or to entertain them.

I've got a few friends that are going through the process of becoming a teacher right now. Some of them are six years in after doing four years undergrad and are wrapping up their two year for their education degree. Can't you also do 2-3 years of a regular undergrad degree and then enter the Faculty of Education and graduate with a B. Ed? Although I think doing that and not finishing your four year program really limits your opportunities for advancement.

I agree with what everyone is saying, it seems like a lot of people are attracted to teaching out of idealism and find out that in reality, it's not as rewarding as they had hoped.

Sharpie
02-28-2008, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by ZorroAMG

It's sorta common sense, go to school to become a teacher, hunt for a job, then teach.
This guy speaks the truth... It is that easy...:rolleyes:

USED1
02-28-2008, 06:50 PM
^I think it would be a more rewarding career if you didn't have to put up with bullshit parents such as Kritafo, whom no matter what you do it isn't good enough. I think a lot of teachers become unmotivated once they encounter these types of people.

Out of all of the complaints that parents have, I would assume that it has to do with their parenting skills rather than what the teacher is doing.

I love Kritafo saying that her kids talk back but she would have never thought of that when she was a kid. Is this the teacher's fault or her parenting skills? :banghead:

ZorroAMG
02-28-2008, 07:07 PM
Originally posted by Sharpie

This guy speaks the truth... It is that easy...:rolleyes:

Are you being sarcastic? It IS that easy if you are good at it and find a job.

Sharpie
02-28-2008, 09:48 PM
Originally posted by ZorroAMG

Are you being sarcastic? It IS that easy if you are good at it and find a job.
Actually I take back what I said, I was being pretty ignorant and just going by what I have been told by people that have become teachers. But that is a whole different story (different school boards are probably different)

My bad...

Kritafo
02-29-2008, 07:56 AM
^I think it would be a more rewarding career if you didn't have to put up with bullshit parents such as Kritafo, whom no matter what you do it isn't good enough. I think a lot of teachers become unmotivated once they encounter these types of people.

Out of all of the complaints that parents have, I would assume that it has to do with their parenting skills rather than what the teacher is doing.

I love Kritafo saying that her kids talk back but she would have never thought of that when she was a kid. Is this the teacher's fault or her parenting skills? :banghead:

Sooo... I am an asshole. I am not on the board calling you an asshole for voicing an opinion. I was going to stay away, but you decided while I was gone to take the opportunity to knock me down.

I certainly never blamed teacher for my kids talking back. I just don't believe in beating my children. My parents believed in routine hitting with belts. We didn't talk back out of fear. That is what my point was, in school it was fear of the strap in the principals office. Fear is a very powerful tool used the right way. Boy I am sooo glad you will be such a better parents than me and never ever make mistakes with your parenting skills. Remember children don't come with manuals and if I were to do what my own parents did I would be in jail or have my children taken away from me. I think that makes me at least a better parent. I know that teachers find it very difficult with all the abuse claims. A hug can make a difference in a childs life. Is it right that children who are failing in their grade gets pushed along? How is that fair to a child? Does that not scream there is something wrong with the eduction system. It's more devastating in the long run than holding back a child when they are 7....than him dropping out of school when they are 16.

At least I am a parent that takes interest and actively participates in my children's school and their education. Out of the hundreds of kids that go to these schools a handful of parents show up every single month to the meetings.

It is a teachers job to help influence a child. You know the saying...it takes a community to raise a child. I don't expect some teacher who hates their job destroy the confidence it has taken me years to build in my children destroy it in a school year. Have you never met a bullying teacher?

I am saying it's a hard job, don't take it because you think it would be fun. Raising your own children is hard enough. Raising a classroom full is harder. It is part of the a teachers job to make sure the weakest is being picked on and the bully gets punished. That little Billy does learn to read and Sally learns to have the confidence to tell someone she doesn't understand.

USED1
02-29-2008, 08:48 AM

Is it right that children who are failing in their grade gets pushed along? How is that fair to a child? Does that not scream there is something wrong with the eduction system. It's more devastating in the long run than holding back a child when they are 7....than him dropping out of school when they are 16.

This is where you are WRONG, it's not the system that puts the child through. Unfortunately because of parents such as yourself, :rofl: , the teacher does not have to ability to hold back a child. They are to inform the parent that it would be in the child's best interest and the parent has to make the decision. But because of stupid people, they don't want to hold their child back because all of their friends will be moving up and it will hurt the child.

YOU are like any most of the people, blame the system not your parenting skills. For someone who is so involved you sure know FUCK ALL. :thumbsdow

USED1
02-29-2008, 09:06 AM

I was going to stay away, but you decided while I was gone to take the opportunity to knock me down.

I forgot to comment on this, you are right I checked the board all day to make sure you were not online before I made a post. Fuck you are one pathetic HOUSEWIFE. Like I said before, get a life. :rofl: :rofl:

Kritafo
02-29-2008, 09:21 AM

This is where you are WRONG, it's not the system that puts the child through. Unfortunately because of parents such as yourself, :rofl: , the teacher does not have to ability to hold back a child. They are to inform the parent that it would be in the child's best interest and the parent has to make the decision. But because of stupid people, they don't want to hold their child back because all of their friends will be moving up and it will hurt the child.

YOU are like any most of the people, blame the system not your parenting skills. For someone who is so involved you sure know FUCK ALL. :thumbsdow

I do know this ...don't be a dick. I know it's up to the parents. How many of them have the balls to hold back their kids.

USED1
02-29-2008, 09:28 AM

I do know this ...don't be a dick. I know it's up to the parents. How many of them have the balls to hold back their kids.

Well if you do know this why are you blaming the system? Blame the parents, unfortunately it is ultimately the parent's that decide the fate of their kids.

Kritafo
02-29-2008, 09:53 AM

Well if you do know this why are you blaming the system? Blame the parents, unfortunately it is ultimately the parent's that decide the fate of their kids.

There are lots of kids that would benefit from being held back but they don't all have horrible marks. Sometimes it immaturity.

USED1
02-29-2008, 09:55 AM

There are lots of kids that would benefit from being held back but they don't all have horrible marks. Sometimes it immaturity.

Again, blame the parents not the system and its teachers. Like I've said before the teacher can make the recommendation but it is up to the parents.

Apparently the system failed you too as you can't read.

Kritafo
02-29-2008, 11:08 AM
I know because my sisters are teachers...they don't fucking flag every child. So your trying to tell me that their aren't kids who slip through the cracks

abyss
02-29-2008, 12:06 PM
If I was that dissatisfied with the system I would buck up and homeschool my kids. If you're spending that much time at the schools as is why not just spend the extra little bit and ensure your kids get the education you think they should? just wondering....

USED1
02-29-2008, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by abyss
If I was that dissatisfied with the system I would buck up and homeschool my kids. If you're spending that much time at the schools as is why not just spend the extra little bit and ensure your kids get the education you think they should? just wondering....

Because the only thing she is capable of doing is...

I am at 2 different schools reading, scribing, gluing, pasting photocopying 4 days a week some half days some full days.

adam c
02-29-2008, 12:14 PM
wow wtf is this nonsense

Weapon_R
02-29-2008, 12:28 PM
I know because my sisters are teachers...they don't fucking flag every child. So your trying to tell me that their aren't kids who slip through the cracks

If a child is 'slipping through the cracks', it's the parent's own damn fault. You sit back and criticize those who educate your children for 4-5 hrs a day, while complaining about how they are not doing enough. What exactly are you doing in the two months they have off, and in the 8 hours they are at home during the school year to justify your criticism on the educational system?

I believe YOU are not doing enough. From what I gather, you are a stay at home mom. If that's true, then you should be sitting on your ass 24/7 until your kids excel - anything less, and you're an awful parent. If you spent half the time reading books to your kids as you do shopping for Hutterite chickens and bitching about your teachers, you'd have the brightest kids in the city.

USED1
02-29-2008, 12:29 PM
^THANK YOU. At least someone else shares my view.

Weapon_R
02-29-2008, 12:32 PM
^THANK YOU. At least someone else shares my view.

Anyone who believes that the education of a child rests solely with the school system is smoking far too much pole. If my parents weren't standing at the door every time a report card came in with the belt in one hand and a $5 bill in the other, I wouldn't have ever given a fuck about school.

adam c
02-29-2008, 12:33 PM
coles notes, what happened here?

Melinda
02-29-2008, 12:34 PM
Careful Kritafo, you might break your neck falling off a soap box that high :rofl: Everyone's a bad parent because their kids have no respect, but your kids are okay to talk back because you made a mistake parenting them? Haha! The teachers at your kid's schools are so horrible and are never around for the kids, and it's SO rare see a good teacher, but your son's teacher is amazing and so is one of your sisters? You rag on teachers saying they should only do it for the love of teaching, but yet you condone and make excuses for your other sister who hates her job??? Holy contradictions batman!

Kids have no respect. My own children talk back...something I would not have dared to do in my house to my parents. When I grew up we didn't know we had rights as children. Now kids are all, well I will call the police...or I will accuse you of abuse etc.
Sounds like you're afraid to disipline your children. Hilarious how you're calling out everyone who "just wants to be friends with kids" but you can't effectively teach your own kids respect. Hypocrite much?

I was spanked maybe 4 or 5 times in my entire life (and that was when I did something truly horrible) and I still grew up knowing not to back talk an authority figure. Even now I would never do it, it's just respect. You don't have to beat your children to teach them and I've seen it possible with my friend's kids.

Of the 30+ teachers I had in school, I can count on one hand the number of truly great teachers I had (one of which was someone who most kids truly hated, but man did she love teaching) But that doesn't mean I didn't learn a lot from the other 25 teachers. It is very possible to be a very effective teacher without everyone loving you and seeing you as "the best". It makes it a little more enjoyable for all if you are well liked, but it is still more than possible if they don't.

To the OP, I totally think it's possible to decide one day that you want to be a teacher, some people do figure it out like that. But I truly don't think it's any kind of easy money! If you decide to pursue it, I wish you luck! :)

403Gemini
02-29-2008, 12:41 PM
Bring back smacking the kids. Im against beating a child, but punishment is a whole other matter.

I only got smacked 5-6 times as a kid... but then again i was also raised with morals to respect adults and authority figures.

ZorroAMG
02-29-2008, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R

Anyone who believes that the education of a child rests solely with the school system is smoking far too much pole. If my parents weren't standing at the door every time a report card came in with the belt in one hand and a $5 bill in the other, I wouldn't have ever given a fuck about school.

Hahaha that recount sent chills down my spine! Lebanese fathers FTW LOL

(mine did it for show though but it worked!)

LUDELVR
02-29-2008, 02:15 PM
Wow! This makes me want to come back and teach in Calgary for sure!! ;) haha

In the eyes of many, the duty of the teacher is nothing more than a glorified babysitter. It's a place where parents can drop off their kids while they are at work and for the most part, know that their children will be safe. Educating is secondary on the list. For others, yes, it's truly a place where the teachers are helping prepare children to be contributing members of society; however, along with this group, there runs a great chance of high needs parents where no matter what efforts are being taken to educate their children, they constantly have more and more concerns.

In any case, as many people have pointed out there are pros and cons to being a teacher and it's all subjective as to why teaching would be an occupation of choice. I became one because there were a small handful of teachers who sparked my inquiry and got me to think outside the box and it was these teachers that remain a prodigious part of my memory of my schooling...plus I love my holidays! ;)

Ask any teacher, any real teacher, holidays are a bonus and contrary to popular belief, all teachers do not lesson plan during the holidays. During the rudiments of this occupation, you WILL do a lot of prep work, but it gets easier the following year. Yes, you will be putting a lot of hours into this career choice and absolutely, there is a paucity of returns:

Kids have little or no respect for authority
meetings after meetings after GLORIOUS meetings
extra curricular activities (I coach volleyball)
an ever scrupulous eye from parents and the public
marking assessments, tests etc.
lesson planning to prepare for the above
and the final one that I have is the paltry adulation that any teacher will ever see

Wow...I think I'm going to resign now. See you! Bye. Ironically enough I do have to resign because I'm coming back to Calgary. That's another story. Anyways...

So why does one wish to be a teacher? I did it for the money!! haha Ummm...yah, to be honest, there are about half the kids in my class who have a better phone than I do and the other half are getting one that is better than mine for Christmas. Oh well, I'm not bothered. The pay here in New Zealand is SHOCKING!!!! I think I'm on par with the employees at McDonald's. To try and cut this short, my impetus for becoming a teacher was not to be lauded and it sure as hell wasn't for monetary reasons. I'm reticent to say it was to be a role model but let's be honest...have you seen my section? It's those teachable moments where that light bulb flicks on in a student's brain that is saying "ahh!! I get it!!!" that has allowed me to look at the ever mounting detriments of teaching with such fervor and audacity. The only thing that surpasses this euphoric feeling is when a student remembers you and does in fact say that you have had an impact on his or her life. That feeling can in no way ever be replaced with money...well, I have never really been offered anything that great so Prove me wrong children PROVE ME WRONG!!!!

Basically, I'm saying that my own personal reasons for teaching are my just that; my own. Some people have entered the profession because of the short term rewards such as holidays, but this novelty wears off. You need to have the vigor and desire to be in that classroom and place the monetary issues asside (not too far or you might end up homeless). Sure I have moments where I can't stand to be in the classroom...it's usually after a heavy night of drinking but even after that I'm still quite adroit! The relationships that you establish with even just one student has an overwhelming and multifarious effect!! Maybe it's because I'm at the rudiments of my teaching career, or maybe it's because I've been teaching in Korea and New Zealand for the past 3 years, but I'm loving this ride I'm on and there's not chance I'm getting off. In my opinion this is the passion that SHOULD be prominent in every teacher. We are teaching more than just the curriculum here people. We are teaching life values to these kids. Don't get me wrong, we should be working in conjunction with the parents and there is a certain degree of naivete to those parents who think we are the sole teachers of discipline.

No one will ever tell me that I have chosen the wrong profession, believe me, my parents have already tried!! haha, but in the end, if I find I'm losing that spark or passion to teach, I will do my best to bring it back but in not way will my service to teaching be one of complacecny. I will never bring that sort of disservice to my students.

Sorry for the long reply guys!!! My bad, I tend to get a little overly verbose!! You should see me when I play the quiet game. TERRIBLE!!!

eur0.doll.
03-01-2008, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by 78si
Its fun if your a shop teacher. :thumbsup:

yeah when you have 2 kids in your class.....:nut:

eur0.doll.
03-01-2008, 07:32 PM
BTW.
Bowness is an amazing school. It is not as ghetto as people put it out to be, I actually love it there. The teachers are amazing and they take the time and effort into teaching you. Bowness High has a HUGE population and it's at the point that the principal/school board has to turn kids down if its not their designated school. We have talented sports teams and kids who are getting scholarships out of their ass. Just because it's in Bowness doesnt mean it's a shit school because it's the complete opposite.

No matter what school you go to you're going to have kids who misbehave, talk back, start fights, and do drugs.

I actually REALLY want to become an elementary teacher but the only thing that scares me is how schooling is changing. SOME kids aren't getting much discipline at home so therefore they think they can run people's lives but when you actually take the time out of your "so busy" life and talk to the kid...maybe he'll smarten up. Maybe not. Who knows.

I might come back in 6 years and tell you these negative things that everyone seems to think about teaching but I love kids and I always have [as long as there in no relation to me] so that doesn't really make a problem for me. For every job youre going to have your pro's and con's its how you handle it. If youre going to bitch and complain about it..do something else with your life. If you didnt look into it all before spending 5 years to get your degree in it then your fault. I've wanted to be a teacher since JR high so therefore I've talked to elementary teachers, got my courses, and braced my self for college/university and getting my teaching degree.

:dunno:

end rant?

TC2002
03-01-2008, 08:03 PM
Originally posted by LUDELVR

For others, yes, it's truly a place where the teachers are helping prepare children to be contributing members of society; however, along with this group, there runs a great chance of high needs parents where no matter what efforts are being taken to educate their children, they constantly have more and more concerns.

I became one because there were a small handful of teachers who sparked my inquiry and got me to think outside the box and it was these teachers that remain a prodigious part of my memory of my schooling...

It's those teachable moments where that light bulb flicks on in a student's brain that is saying "ahh!! I get it!!!" that has allowed me to look at the ever mounting detriments of teaching with such fervor and audacity. The only thing that surpasses this euphoric feeling is when a student remembers you and does in fact say that you have had an impact on his or her life. That feeling can in no way ever be replaced with money...well, I have never really been offered anything that great so Prove me wrong children PROVE ME WRONG!!!!

+1 Lude! :thumbsup:

I know what you mean about those teachable moments. Knowing that you can make a difference in a child's life is the best part of teaching. Why else do we bother being innovative and continue to further educate ourselves in pedagogy? Every day is different and brings its own challenges and rewards.

I disagree with the person about not having clubs and running out of "ghetto" schools at 3:30. Some of the best people I know work in these schools and guide their schools with dedication and care, and has been recognized at the national level for their efforts to make the children living in areas with less wealth have the same and greater literacy opportunities, and have been recognized at the national level for their work in these schools.

http://www.cbe.ab.ca/media/news/2007-2008nr/012208-01.asp

To the OP...like many have said before me, don't go into the profession looking at the salary chart. You'll be further depressed by your first paycheque after you see the amount of deductions every month. :eek: I view it as getting paid half the day, and volunteering the rest of the day. :)

I think you should take some time and volunteer in schools, maybe job shadow a teacher for a full day during report card season (which is on now) and see if you REALLY want to be an elementary teacher. It's the best way to get an idea of what it's all about before you commit to any program.

googe
03-01-2008, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
If my parents weren't standing at the door every time a report card came in with the belt in one hand and a $5 bill in the other, I wouldn't have ever given a fuck about school.

Haha, mine did that, and I still didn't give a fuck about school :rofl:

Personally I think the education system is total garbage. It caters to a specific personality type and learning style, and it's not always the teacher's fault, nor the parents. If you don't fit the shoe, you're written off. I know some brilliant people that the education system just couldn't work for. It's a shame when you see technical geniuses that easily have the capability to make major contributions to society and advance their fields, but can't for the life of them make themselves give a shit about essay writing, philosophy/ethics courses, or are unwilling to spend 2-3 years "studying" what they already know, so they get nothing and are dismissed entirely.

But, I also think that's an entirely different debate than whether or not teachers pull their weight.

People that write parents off as whiney delusional housewives are no better than parents that are never satisfied and accuse the teacher of negligence. The truth is there are plenty of both. There are some really great teachers, and there are some miserable ones, and some bullies. I don't know Kritafo, I don't know the teacher she is referring to, but it's entirely possible that it's a deadbeat teacher, so calling them on it would be warranted. Just because your girlfriend isn't a deadbeat, doesn't mean they are all cut out for it. Realize that she is not calling your girlfriend a shitty teacher. She is calling someone else that you know nothing about a shitty teacher.

I know kids that got hit when they were out of line, and learned discipline and respect. I know kids that got hit when they were out of line, and started to rebel, beat up other kids, eventually hang out with the drug crowd, and not graduate. I know kids that didn't get hit, and were undisciplined disrespectful bastards. I know kids that didn't get hit and were well mannered overachievers at the top of their class. I just think that whole discipline debate is really stupid.

People are too quick to point fingers and aren't asking the right questions.

FiveFreshFish
03-01-2008, 09:41 PM
I wouldn't be too crazy about having the summer off. That's when all the kids and their parents are vacationing too. Crowded and expensive no matter where you go.

78si
03-01-2008, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by eur0.doll.

yeah when you have 2 kids in your class.....:nut:

Haha.. That doesn't happen very often.

I see Alex got you hooked on beyond.. :D

eur0.doll.
03-02-2008, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by 78si

Haha.. That doesn't happen very often.

I see Alex got you hooked on beyond.. :D

Hahah indeed.