PDA

View Full Version : Need help installing Ikea PAX Cabinets on wall

clem24
02-28-2008, 06:16 PM
So not sure if anyone here can help, but I bought some Ikea PAX wall cabinets a while back (like over 8 months ago). I finally got to assembling them. Now the problem is, they only have 2 mount holes (those who have seen them will know). I can get one to align with a stud in my wall, but the other has no stud. Will a dry wall anchor be sufficient? I have some #8 10x1-1/4" anchors that can supposedly handle the weight though the specs do say they're "recommended for concrete".

Any suggestions? I am trying to make a clean install... I.e. I thought about an L bracket, but that would be visible.

frozenrice
02-28-2008, 07:10 PM
You don't necessarily have to use the holes that are provided. You can make your own holes to line up with your studs and then plug the holes and screws with some plastic caps.
Another way to do it is to nail two strips of lumber (ie. 1x4) parrallel to each other to the wall using the studs to anchor it. Then you can mount the cabinets using the factory holes. The top strip is like your "nailer/anchor" and the lower strip just helps to keep the cabinet plumb to the wall.

dropdat
02-29-2008, 12:25 AM
Goto your local hardware store and pick up some large drywall butterflies. They work like a dream and will definately do the trick, especially if you were able to locate a stud. I've used them numerous times for large overhead cabinets that weigh upwards of 100lbs and I'm yet to be disappointed.

clem24
02-29-2008, 12:29 AM
OK thanks for the help.. But ended up using L brackets on top bolted to studs and dry wall anchors at the stock locations. Since they are on the top of the cabinet, you can't see them.. Except for the one on the end haha. Cannot make my own holes in the cabinet because the back of the cabinet is typical Ikea - just a thin piece of cardboard. Again there's only 2 locations for mounting it and those cannot be moved. I think this will be my last Ikea wall cabinet.

clem24
02-29-2008, 12:32 AM
For any one that gives a shit, here's the finished install:

clem24
02-29-2008, 12:33 AM
The 2 stock mounts that cannot be moved. The one on the right is just covered up.

clem24
02-29-2008, 12:34 AM
The L brackets on top mounted to studs: ( notice how I fucked up the location of one of the studs -- get a stud finder with a laser or something boys and girls).

Heff
02-29-2008, 11:46 AM
Looks good.

If the "L" are bothering you you could toss up a piece of simple moulding around the top to cover them.

clem24
02-29-2008, 07:17 PM
Originally posted by Heff
Looks good.

If the "L" are bothering you you could toss up a piece of simple moulding around the top to cover them.

Funny you mention that. The Ikea cabinets can also be mounted on the floor, so they actually do come with mouldings. I put them up and looks weird. I think it looks fine. The only bracket that is visible is the one of the far right. Ah well. Doesn't bother me. And very very easy install. But no more Ikea cabinets for me.

A790
03-01-2008, 02:55 PM
Yea dude it doesn't look bad at all. Kudos to figuring it out :P