PDA

View Full Version : What too look for in a B5 Audi?

XylathaneGTR
08-03-2003, 08:45 PM
Well, i feel like its finally time for me to stop taking the bus...and pick up a car.
I was planning on financing a 2001 Audi A4 1.8T 5speed from Glenmore, but that plan didn't work out, due to a lack of cooperation from my parents to give me some money for it...So i've had to focus on something more affordable...

Glenmore has a 1996 A4 2.8L V6 Quattro w/ a 5speed, Premium package and Sunroof, w/ leather.

Im going down on wednesday to take a look at it...but im wondering, what should i look for...It prolly wont be covered by that much of a warrentee, so i'll have to be really careful when i buy it...So im wondering (Mainly from R-Audi, since he also has a 2.8) what i should look for, in terms of wear and tear, matenance, damage to the car, etc.

Any comments would REALLY help me out here...thanks

-Darren

***EDIT*** Looks like i was too slow, the car is gone :(

hjr
08-03-2003, 11:01 PM
no money to maintain means no audi, no scratch that, no car at all. (sorry to be blunt but it will be very difficult for you if you need to have some work done as an audi is typically more expensive than say a cavalier to repair.

Ben
08-03-2003, 11:03 PM
2 Turbos, AWD, 6 Speed

XylathaneGTR
08-04-2003, 12:14 AM
Yeah, i know Audi's are fucking expensive as hell to maintain...so thats why im looking at a cheap one, (15,000.)
Anything i should look for guys? please help?
Thanks

max_boost
08-04-2003, 12:41 AM
Are you for real this time? Seriously? How much money do you have and are your parents co-signing? If not, your wasting time AGAIN!!! haha

XylathaneGTR
08-04-2003, 12:44 AM
hahaha...This time im for real...Not like the other times...
Right now i have aobut 5 down, and last time i was at Audi before (Looking into a 98 1.8T, but they sold it 2 days before i got there...) One of the girls that i was talking with said they if it wasn't totally certified (and this one isin't...not many of the old ones are for some reason...) then audi prolly woudln't finance it...So the bank would be doing it...
And yes, im dragging my dad down there on wednesday to prove its a good car, and get his Cosign...
I wouldn't be posting on here, if i wasn't that serious...

CRXguy
08-04-2003, 12:45 AM
^^^

:rofl:

If you don't have $15k set aside, then STFU or ban!

max_boost
08-04-2003, 12:47 AM
$5000? LMAO
Ok, so how much is this car you are purchasing?
I'll be your loan officer right now :rofl:

Weapon_R
08-04-2003, 12:55 AM
He already said $15,000. A $5,000 downpayment would make the payments relatively small.

Can you really get a good 1996 Audi 2.8 for that cheap though?

CRXguy
08-04-2003, 12:57 AM
what about insurance, gas, maintainence(sp)? unless daddy pays for everything.

XylathaneGTR
08-04-2003, 02:16 AM
Yeah...If you guys actually read anything...I said the car was 15, and the bank would be financing...with 5 down and the remaining 10 spread over 3-4 years...at say, just off the top of my ass 6% interest...The payments would be pretty small...
Im only 16...Only way i could have 15 set aside already is either something illegal, or Daddy giving me a shitload of money...

WeaponR: Thats why i want to know WHAT TO LOOK FOR, so i can make sure everything is alright w/ the car, and im not getting screwed over buying it...

CRX: As for insurance...There's a good chance i'll be getting some financial help from my parents with that one...so thats not my biggest worry. With the low ass payments, Gas and Maintenance shouldn't be that much of a problem, unless say...I blow the transmission or do something really fucking stupid.

When i saw the add for 15,000...I thought it was too good to be true, which is why i asked here, thinking someone could help me.
Since pretty much all im getting is flamed and nothing all that usefull, seems like i asked in the wrong place.
Thanks once again, beyond!

Ben
08-04-2003, 02:31 AM
I think with a 96 Audi the only problems you would have to worry about is routine stuff...Oil Changes, tune ups, etc etc. The motor and tranny are very resilient ...tough to break...

How many KM are on the car. I doubt you will have any tranny problems. Is it a standard or auto?

Make sure you get a full mechanical inspection done (preferably by a 3rd party mechanic)

Also make sure both you and your dad take the car for a rip and try EVERYTHING. Even check small stupid stuff like making sure the gas door pops open when the button is pressed, and check the wiper speeds etc. Stupid shit like that goes un noticed but ends up costing you bucks if you find out down the road.

Check the oil, pull out the dipstick and see how clean it is...any metal bits?

A good mech inspect should take care of most worries, other than that, happy trails.

XylathaneGTR
08-04-2003, 03:18 AM
THANK YOU Ben!!!
Thats exactly what i was looking for.
The cars a 5 speed, btw. The add didn't say how many KMS were on it, but im guessing 120,000-140,000.
Anyways, i'll print that off and take it w/ me when i go to the dealership...Again, thanks ben :)

max_boost
08-04-2003, 03:34 AM
Hmmm....Ok I believe you on this one
$10000 loan spread over 4 years at 8% interest yields a payment of $244.13/month which is manageable. Factor in gas which is $200 I guess you can afford it since your folks will help you out with insurance. And just did a quick search on the A4's, holy shit, I guess they really dropped in value in the past year. Ok good luck man. Personally, I steer clear of them Euros, buy a Honda :D Lease a civic man, 3.8% interest rate. You get a brand new car with a brand new warranty and you can bag the shit out of this car without worry about it breaking down.

max_boost
08-04-2003, 03:38 AM
For example a Civic LX coupe priced at $19410+GST
If you dump $5000 on a lease your payments will be under $200. I just think that its your first car, you better have something reliable cause if shit breaks down, how the heck are you gonna pay for it right? haha

Just giving you suggestions, explore your options before you buy

Ben
08-04-2003, 11:57 AM
A Civic aint no Audi...why dont you trade your S2000 in for a Tempo....

Redlyne_mr2
08-04-2003, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
For example a Civic LX coupe priced at $19410+GST
If you dump $5000 on a lease your payments will be under $200. I just think that its your first car, you better have something reliable cause if shit breaks down, how the heck are you gonna pay for it right? haha

Just giving you suggestions, explore your options before you buy
I can't believe youre trying to talk him into getting a civic:thumbsdow :rofl: Those aren't Japanese cars, they're north american made pieces of crap, have you seen the build quality of the new civics? It's horrible. Xlyathane, personally Id stay away from the Audi if you're going to be on a fixed budget. Go looking for a pre-owned lexus, reliable as hell

XylathaneGTR
08-04-2003, 01:20 PM
Thanks for all your input guys...
haha, As for a civic, No thanks. At first i was real keen on them RSX-S's...but i've taken more of a liking to AWD, and recently after having some fun in my friends BMW, RWD.

I think the Audi is an alright 1st car, its reliable, 4 doors, a little older, and still, kinda classy...altho it is expensive as fcuk to maintain...I want something nice and classy, all my friends drive in BMW's, Jaguars, and Porshces, and ones getting a brand new WRX...I dun wanna be the only one rolling around in a NonVtec Civic...u know what i mean?

MR2: Yeah, i've thought about that also...But for the year (1996) The audi wins hands down compared w/ BMW and Benz and Lexus in looks (So clean, fresh, and sharp). Also, for the Price, (15,000) The audi again, wins Hands down. Compare that w/ a 1992 C220 that i saw at Hyatt Benz for 19,900ish...
I think im getting the total best value for my money w/ the Audi.

And MB: Thanks :) I'll keep everyone posted on what happens w/ the car...

max_boost
08-04-2003, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by Ben
A Civic aint no Audi...why dont you trade your S2000 in for a Tempo.... No shit Ben! That's not the point, lower payments and warranty is. I'm trading the S2000 in for the R171 AMG or I'll just do up both cars:bigpimp:

ninjak84
08-04-2003, 02:19 PM
I think I have a pretty good idea of who ISN'T getting a car in the next lifetime.

Honestly, it seems like someone is trying to impress everyone here.
He should stop that, and realize that it doesn't matter what he is getting.
It only really matters what he has, and what he makes of it.

XylathaneGTR
08-04-2003, 07:01 PM
Uhmmm...Incase your implying me...Im not trying to impress anyone with an old audi...I just want something that in my eyes, looks nice. I was asking advice on what to look for, and so far, mainly only MaxBoost (W/ the math and numbers) and Ben (with the actual advice) has helped.

lammer
08-05-2003, 02:10 AM
maybe you should learn how to spell some words while your at it.

-warrentee
-matenance
-When i saw the add for 15,000. try AD next time?

is your dad gonna co-sign it just like last time how you wanted the civic and your dad refused? then you threw a hissy fit?

max_boost
08-05-2003, 02:24 AM
Originally posted by lammer

-warrentee
-matenance

is your dad gonna co-sign it just like last time how you wanted the civic and your dad refused? then you threw a hissy fit? Thank you grammar police and momma's boy:poosie: :rofl:

lammer
08-05-2003, 02:38 AM
Originally posted by max_boost
Thank you grammar police and momma's boy:poosie: :rofl:
yes, im a momma's boy because i corrected him! :dunno:

SI-vic
08-05-2003, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by lammer

-warrentee
-matenance

is your dad gonna co-sign it just like last time how you wanted the civic and your dad refused? then you threw a hissy fit?

HAHAHAHAHAHA I agree, he should spend his money on better education because its obvious that he isnt the brightest bulb in the closet.
Wasnt this the same guy who was supposed to get like 10different cars or something?
shit buddy, do you really want a high class car THAT bad to be resepected or something, like gimmie 1 good reason why you (a 16 year old) cant have something cheap and affordable like a Civic, Integra, Mustang or something similar to those cars. Yah a Honda sucks Compared to Audi, but lets remember something, you're only freakin' 16.

I also thought you were going to put the money in investments or something....... but I suppose that isnt happening anymore for some odd reason.

XylathaneGTR
08-06-2003, 01:28 AM
Whew! idiots out in FULL FORCE tonight. BTW, Lamm...Supprised you didn't catch the misspelling in the title...im not impressed at all.

Ok SiVic...you moron...If you read the first post, which it shows you didn't...The car is GONE. So i have NO idea why your wasting your time replying...

So...Because i didn't spell 3 or 4 words correctly, because i was typing fast...means im an idiot? Wow, good job champ! That would mean, using your logic and everything, that 90% of the people on this board, are fucking stupid! YAY!

Wasnt this the same guy who was supposed to get like 10different cars or something?
10 different cars or something? All i wanted was vsmsir's wife's civic, which didn't really work out...Nice count job pal!

do you really want a high class car Well, i think its kinda obvious, because i made this thread in the first place...

to be resepected or something, Yes, that's EXACTLY what i want, is respect from chumps like you, in my cheap Audi. You saw right through me there...(That's sarcasm if you didn't pick up on it...)

1 good reason why you (a 16 year old) cant have something cheap and affordable like a Civic, Integra, Mustang Because i don't want one. and, just so you know, The Audi cost would be about the same as a, maybe 97 Integra GSR (about 15-16...off the top of my head from what i've seen before...) and the audi is a hell of a lot nicer.
If i wanted some old civic, I'd have one by now...

I also thought you were going to put the money in investments or something....... but I suppose that isnt happening anymore for some odd reason. Yeah, that was the plan a while back, maybe 6 months ago...But i don't want to have my money locked away for a long time, without me being able to use it if i need to. Also, you need more then a small amount such as 5,000 if you want to invest in stocks etc, to actually see some large gains... 5000 isin't that much to invest, unless its in GUC and Savings Bonds...which lock my money away. Get it? chump? w/o investing, My bank account has grown pretty well for someone who used to spend like i do, and i still have access.

In closing, i'd just like to say: I ask for advice, and this is what i get? What a waste of skin you are. Thanks and goodnight.

EDIT: Since you think i want the car becuase im desperate for respect from you...The reasons WHY i want it are: Its a practial, nice looking, cheap 4 door sedan (Which will help on my insurance) its used, and its dependable. And, of course, the Quattro, i'd rahter have AWD than FWD like a civic.

max_boost
08-06-2003, 02:12 AM
You won't make any money with a $5000 investment. Hell if you eat out less or buy less clothes, there you go! haha

R-Audi
08-07-2003, 01:28 PM
OK, heres my thoughts, whether or not you are serious about it. The 96 2.8 is a 12V engine, which in 98 was upgraded to the 30V. The 12 V is pretty weak, with not much available for upgrades. Since you are on Beyond, I am guessing you would eventually add other parts to the car, get the 1.8T. They are typically cheaper, and way easier to add parts to. I would of prefered the 1.8T but the deal for me was too good to pass up.
One thing to think about though, if you are on a limited budget, Audi's are costly to maintain, especially at the dealership ($100 for oil change) and parts are expensive as well. FOr more info, try www.audiworld.com, and try searching the forum archives, because your questions have been asked before, and they will probably eat you alive. Anyways, best of luck!

three.eighteen.
08-07-2003, 05:37 PM
you wont be able to buy your gucci purses and prada skirts if you somehow manage to squeeze paying for this car...