PDA

View Full Version : gal hit crossing deerfoot this morning.

malbadon
02-29-2008, 10:02 AM
http://www.660news.com/news/topstory/article.jsp?content=20080229_094746_6368

Deerfoot re-opens after horrific crash
February 29, 2008 - 7:45 am
660News Staff

Deerfoot Trail is back to normal between 16th and 32nd Ave northbound after a pedestrian was hit by a vehicle.

Calgary EMS says the 35 year old woman remains in potentially life threatening condition.

According to EMS she was hit just before 3 o'clock this morning while trying to cross the northbound lanes of Deerfoot.

Police tell 660 news the woman ran out of gas and after getting a ride back to her car she was dropped off on the south bound side of the highway.

No charges have been laid but police are investigating.

malbadon
02-29-2008, 10:06 AM
so. Ignoring the obvious "running across 8 lanes of Deerfoot is a stupid idea", at 3am, how do your NOT see oncoming headlights of cars. It's not like its rush hour. Even at 1am you could slow dance your way across there's so little traffic.....

89s1
02-29-2008, 10:11 AM
It takes a special kind of person to run their car completely out of gas (in an urban area especially.) It also takes a special kind of person to get hit by a vehicle you could have seen coming from nearly a kilometer.

infamous
02-29-2008, 10:12 AM
why would the retard who picked her up to go and get gas drop her off on the wrong side of deerfoot? if it was me, i'd turn around, put on my hazards, and at least make sure that she got the gas in ok and that her fuel pump didn't suck up a bunch of shit and get plugged.....

how would you feel if you found out the person you tried to help got hit because you were too lazy to turn around at the next offramp?

Thaco
02-29-2008, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by malbadon
so. Ignoring the obvious "running across 8 lanes of Deerfoot is a stupid idea", at 3am, how do your NOT see oncoming headlights of cars. It's not like its rush hour. Even at 1am you could slow dance your way across there's so little traffic.....

I'd say it's more than likely that the car didn't have it's lights on... that's the only way i could see this going down.

89s1
02-29-2008, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by infamous
why would the retard who picked her up to go and get gas drop her off on the wrong side of deerfoot? if it was me, i'd turn around, put on my hazards, and at least make sure that she got the gas in ok and that her fuel pump didn't suck up a bunch of shit and get plugged.....

how would you feel if you found out the person you tried to help got hit because you were too lazy to turn around at the next offramp?

agreed, they've gotta be feeling a bit guilty.

especially if he was sitting there with his 4 ways on when he dropped her off, and was the one that might have caused a distraction to the driver coming the other direction.

89s1
02-29-2008, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by Thaco

I'd say it's more than likely that the car didn't have it's lights on... that's the only way i could see this going down.

deerfoot is pretty well lit, even in the dead of night the average person would have no problem seeing a car coming, lights on or not.

plus, alot of vehicles on the road have DRL's..... that just doesnt seem likely

malbadon
02-29-2008, 10:20 AM
if she ran out of gas halfway between 16th and 32nd, you aren't turning around to drop her off, they've got the crash barrier in between the directions now. I'll assume she walked up to the Shell on 32nd, got gas, and then someone who was heading southbound on deerfoot offered to give her a ride back down. So she was dropped off on the southbound side, was able to safely get across the southbound lanes (unless the fellow dropped her off on the left lane side), and then didn't quite make it all the way across the north bound side back to her car.

Antonito
02-29-2008, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by Thaco

Maybe the driver had on the daytime running lights, when I see people driving with those at night I sometimes have a harder time gauging how far away they are even compared to no lights at all because their lights are as dim as if they were much further away and it plays a trick on my mind. It could also explain how the driver wasn't able to see the pedestrian and swerve

mekeni
02-29-2008, 10:21 AM
it's too hard to estimate a car running 110 km/h, especially if you are flashed with a headlight.

hopefully, she's gonna recover.

rmk
02-29-2008, 10:24 AM
I believe she has died from her injuries.

RIP

SNAATCH
02-29-2008, 10:27 AM
RIP.
I'm interested to what happend just before the calf robe bridge around 12am this morning. Traffic was shit and there was a car chillin upside down in the center lane.

irs
02-29-2008, 11:01 AM
RIP

SpoonEK9@STRD
02-29-2008, 11:07 AM
:( RIP

5hift
02-29-2008, 02:48 PM
RIP to the deceased, but for some reason I'm thinking of that Frogger episode in Seinfeld with George playing against the streets of NY.

Its sad that this happened, but its only on the girl. It doesnt matter if it was dark, if the car didnt have DRLs etc. If your crossing 8 lanes of 110+ Km/h traffic, its up to you to not get hit.

LadyLuck
02-29-2008, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by 5hift
If your crossing 8 lanes of 110+ Km/h traffic, its up to you to not get hit.

Agreed!

Its not too often that I see people walking around on deerfoot unless im driving through a construction zone, but even then i stay at the speedlimit and stay alert.

I cant imagine driving down deerfoot at 3am and having to watch out for pedestrians...

I believe that after todays incident people will be a tad more alert on deerfoot.

RIP:(

Xtrema
02-29-2008, 03:09 PM
Who's so stupid and drop the person off on the opposite side?

They should publish that guy/gal's face.

heavyD
02-29-2008, 03:27 PM
Unless for some reason the driver was at fault, this sounds like the product of multiple poor decisions by the woman and driver that dopped her off.

403Gemini
02-29-2008, 03:30 PM
Tough to say, the woman might have just said "im good here! you can drop me off and i'll just cross"

Ultimately it's the womans fault for poor judgement on a lot of accounts, but if i was the driver i still would have looped around.

malbadon
02-29-2008, 03:32 PM
If she thought there was an issue with it, she shouldn't have accepted the ride and instead walked back to her car. I know if I was asked for the ride, I wouldn't be going onto Deerfoot, going down to 16th to turn around, going back up Deerfoot to drop her off, going onto 32nd to turn around, and then going back onto Deerfoot to head south like I'd originally wanted to. I'm a nice guy, but not that nice.

but regardless, rip

topmade
02-29-2008, 03:36 PM
RIP, heard this this morning and was thinking WTF, a pedestrian hit on Deerfoot?? We drove by when the traffic was re-routed and it looked like they were just investigating it. It isn't hard to make a u turn on either 16th or 32nd, but I guess they probably thought it was early enough so that there weren't that many cars and she would safely get accross.

86_lude_86
02-29-2008, 05:29 PM
RIP

i was getting on deerfoot south to go to work this morning from sixteenth and saw it was all blocked off. heard it on the radio later. sad. it would have been so easy to loop around. i feel bad for the person that dropped her off. i know that would make me feel like a bag of shit.

DADDY-O
02-29-2008, 07:05 PM
According to the news she isn't dead she's listed as in critical condition in hospital.

rmk
02-29-2008, 07:12 PM
Yes, it should be clarified that she is still alive. Sorry for the confusion.

SCHIDER23
03-01-2008, 12:07 AM
yep still alive according to global

Bimmer88
03-01-2008, 12:21 AM
she aint dead yet and I hope she survives to learn how dumb of an idea it was to run across a high way especially with cars going 110 km/h + .... like what were you thinking....?

well all cars should be equipped with xenons! you can see soooo damn far..

Guess she was like a deer in headlights. I wish her well and a speedy recovery.

dj_rice
03-01-2008, 12:35 AM
Whys everyone saying RIP?Shes still alive

Tragic that she got hit but....cmon now...on the news, it said there was a overhead walkway thing 200m away....and police might possibly charge her with jaywalking....

But hope she gets well soon and smartens up

badatusrnames
03-01-2008, 12:43 AM
I remember one morning I saw a middle aged Asian woman haphazardly pedaling her bike on Deerfoot northbound, she was passing by the 32 Ave NE exit and traffic was weaving all around her as cars were changing lanes at 110 km/h, it was nuts.

This woman getting struck reminds me of the young couple that got hit on 32 Ave NW by the University a couple of years ago - how do you not see a lone vehicle barreling towards you down an otherwise empty street and not put yourself in a position to get hit, or how do you assume the driver is going to see you in time to stop and simply step in front of a speeding vehicle? I see it all the time, especially in mall parking lots or around the University, people just step in front of vehicles without making sure the driver has seen them and is coming to a stop. One moment of inattentiveness on the part of the driver and the pedestrian gets mowed over.

Jlude
03-01-2008, 12:51 AM
rip

Bimmer88
03-01-2008, 01:05 AM
I heard her body was dismembered on arrival??? This tru?

and Global said she has MASSIVE leg injuries... well no duh!

Reminds me of this....

I warn you know the video you are about to watch is VERY disturbing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ArWtdTGYLw

Chris101
03-01-2008, 01:27 AM
Originally posted by Bimmer88

and Global said she has MASSIVE leg injuries... well no duh!

Reminds me of this....

I warn you know the video you are about to watch is VERY disturbing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ArWtdTGYLw

Fuck

szw
03-01-2008, 01:38 AM
I've always wondered what kind of people can actually completely run out of gas, and I usually push it pretty far!

Jay911
03-01-2008, 04:21 AM
Originally posted by Bimmer88

Not hard to believe, though I don't have confirmation in this case.

There was a crash well over 10 years ago on the Deerfoot southbound near Southland that involved a pedestrian and the car was going well in excess of the posted speed. The poor soul who was struck did not remain intact.. let's just leave it at that.

badatusrnames
03-01-2008, 09:46 AM
^^ Are you talking about Richard Sonnenberg? I remember in Jr. High we had a police officer come talk to us about road safety and he shared some grisly details about that incident.

three33
03-01-2008, 10:57 AM
She's still alive, so we should be saying hopefully a miracle happens and shes able to come out of this and get better with time.

Graham_A_M
03-01-2008, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by badatusrnames
^^ Are you talking about Richard Sonnenberg? I remember in Jr. High we had a police officer come talk to us about road safety and he shared some grisly details about that incident.

not to be grotesc, but where the cross & flowers are right past the overpass is where the "biggest peice landed" bieng his torso. Apparently the guy was doing 180kph at the point of impact.

badatusrnames
03-01-2008, 11:21 AM
Yeah to police officer that came and talked to us described collecting the pieces of his body and the "smell of death" that permeated the scene.

stunta666
03-01-2008, 11:37 AM
I dont know if this is true but one of my buddies said she was in a hummer when she ran out of gas. If it is than thats as ironic as it gets. but either way its sad that something this stupid had to happen.

403Gemini
03-01-2008, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by stunta666
I dont know if this is true but one of my buddies said she was in a hummer when she ran out of gas. If it is than thats as ironic as it gets. but either way its sad that something this stupid had to happen.

:english:

TaiChino
03-01-2008, 12:01 PM
I remember one morning I saw a middle aged Asian woman haphazardly pedaling her bike on Deerfoot northbound, she was passing by the 32 Ave NE exit and traffic was weaving all around her as cars were changing lanes at 110 km/h, it was nuts.
I bet it was important to point out that she was Asian right?

Destinova403
03-01-2008, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by TaiChino

OMG IM SO OFFENDED! :drama: :whocares:

Graham_A_M
03-01-2008, 12:41 PM

:rolleyes: fuck off buddy, yeah thats get another childish and entirely pointless arguement started, all over again. GREAT IDEA:thumbsup:

stunta666
03-01-2008, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by stunta666

You obviously can't read english if you couldn't understand that. Let me know what your language of choice is and i'll try to get some one to translate that for you.

badatusrnames
03-01-2008, 01:13 PM

No not really, I was just trying to set the scene a little better for you all... if it was a fat white dude or a skinny, old East Indian man I would've mentioned it all the same.

I think you need thicken that thin skin of yours a little. Not to mention you have no idea what my ethnic background is. I think we could all be better served if we learned to laugh at ourselves every once in a while.

Trust me, if you had seen the sight you wouldn't have known whether to laugh or cry. She looked very much the fob type and was just straining on her three speed tourer - the kind with the slightly bent handlebars, a basket on the front and that you ride upright with your back straight. She was wearing this big white bubble helmet that was about two sizes two big and with a loosened head strap which meant that the helmet had slid half off of her head and was at some crazy angle.

In hindsight I really should have called 911 and gotten the police to pull her over, but since I didn't hear anything about an asian woman getting struck on Deerfoot, I'm assuming she arrived at her destination safely.

lelalong
03-01-2008, 01:26 PM
Its a bad combination by everyone. If you were driving on Deerfoot at 3am you would never expect or have time to slow down for someone running across the road. If you're driving say 100km/h, by the time you react and hit the brakes it would be too late. At 3am...its safe to say a person would drive faster...there's no one around so I can go faster, right?
People forget how fast a car can come at you when they're travelling 100km/hr. Its a sad situation and I hope she lives and people will LEARN from her mistake. If she lives, her life will consist of endless visits to physio. I feel bad for all involved.

How would you feel if you were the one that hit her?

randedge
03-01-2008, 02:46 PM
^^^ Agree on driving on Deerfoot in the morning.

I've actually rolled into Calgary from Out of Town via Deerfoot at around that time doing 120km/h.

A Cop Car (the obvious kind) actually passed me and did nothing. 3am and we're the only two cars there - I'm not worth the trouble, he was probably thinking. As well, I don't expect anyone to be on foot crossing at that time either.

Jay911
03-01-2008, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by randedge
^^^ Agree on driving on Deerfoot in the morning.

I've actually rolled into Calgary from Out of Town via Deerfoot at around that time doing 120km/h.

A Cop Car (the obvious kind) actually passed me and did nothing. 3am and we're the only two cars there - I'm not worth the trouble, he was probably thinking. As well, I don't expect anyone to be on foot crossing at that time either.

It's rare to see people get actually pulled over on Deerfoot for a regular traffic stop. It's too bloody dangerous, the way people drive. You've seen cop shows where a guy gets his gun belt cleaned off him by someone too close going 80kph-100kph, imagine what they'd do to someone when they're doing a buck forty or fifty.

The fire department specifically sends out extra trucks to high-speed roadways to protect the crews working there. They used to have small trucks like 4x4 grass fire trucks ("bush buggies") and vans with light boards on them, kind of like Carmacks' trucks, but the crews didn't feel safe. Nowadays all the safety vehicles are monstrously long aerial ladder rigs with great big sign boards on the back, and every now and then, someone still finds a way to pile into them. One kid in an SUV a couple years ago hit one of the aerials with enough force to move it, and he had to be extricated with the Jaws of Life.

rmk
03-01-2008, 03:01 PM
(I believe it was was Deerfoot) There was also the officer from the traffic unit conducting a stop in an unmarked, gold ford explorer and was seriously injured last year. Dangerous work enforcing speed on that road..

Eleanor
03-01-2008, 11:43 PM

yep i'm pretty sure that all he was trying to point out was that Asian women are stupid.

STFU & GTFO N00B! :guns:

BTW, OT was she hit by a 323i with angel eyes?

Supa Dexta
03-02-2008, 12:20 AM
she was prob JDM and looked the wrong way..

It doesn't matter if the speed limit is 110 or whatever, plenty of drunk indians still make it across.. And yes I did point out they were drunk..

With that little traffic its no different then a 50 zone, look whats coming and act accordingly.. No sympathy from me if you're too stupid to cross a road as an adult.

.. ps "gal"... really?

DRKM
03-02-2008, 04:47 AM
The woman who got hit is accually my Uncles girlfriend. Who by the way is not asian. Her name is Tracy and she is very seroius condition. I think both of her legs now have been amputated and she is in critical condiaition. She is not expected to live from the accident.

She tripped while carrying the gas and fell. The car ran over her completely.

I don't know how you can blame the driver.

B17a
03-03-2008, 09:58 AM
Wow, that's brutal man. My regards.

403Gemini
03-03-2008, 10:05 AM

Was she asian? If she was, it's a fact so why not point it out? Cry me a fucking river that you're so sensitive.

nj2Type-S
03-03-2008, 10:05 AM
^dang, sorry to hear...

403Gemini
03-03-2008, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by DRKM
The woman who got hit is accually my Uncles girlfriend. Who by the way is not asian. Her name is Tracy and she is very seroius condition. I think both of her legs now have been amputated and she is in critical condiaition. She is not expected to live from the accident.

She tripped while carrying the gas and fell. The car ran over her completely.

I don't know how you can blame the driver.

Sorry to hear man, how's your uncle holding up?

Just a shitty turn of events :( It's been a really bad last 2 weeks of February. I know 4 people who have had to goto the hospital and another 4 people who's grandparents have passed away.

PremiumRSX
03-03-2008, 10:19 AM
I think this was just a very unlucky incident involving misjudgement or negligence on all those involved.

The "helper" guy should've dropped her off on the right side of deerfoot.

She should've been more careful while crossing the highway.

The driver that struck her I bet could've easily swerved out of the way and I don't know about you but I'd rather swerve and crash rather than strike a pedestrian at highway speeds.

Also I am wondering if the driver had his lights on.. I hate seeing cars drive around on deerfoot or any city streets without their lights on at night. I mean I can still see them but I find it very negligent and irresponsible that they can't even turn on their lights.

Kona9
03-03-2008, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by PremiumRSX
I think this was just a very unlucky incident involving misjudgement or negligence on all those involved.

Ladies and Gentleman. Captain Obvious has entered the building.

My thoughts are with you and your family DRKM.

rmk
03-03-2008, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by PremiumRSX

The driver that struck her I bet could've easily swerved out of the way and I don't know about you but I'd rather swerve and crash rather than strike a pedestrian at highway speeds.

Also I am wondering if the driver had his lights on.. I hate seeing cars drive around on deerfoot or any city streets without their lights on at night. I mean I can still see them but I find it very negligent and irresponsible that they can't even turn on their lights.

Holy fuck you are smart.

TaiChino
03-05-2008, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by Graham_A_M

:rolleyes: fuck off buddy, yeah thats get another childish and entirely pointless arguement started, all over again. GREAT IDEA:thumbsup:

I agree, and I do apologize, it does sound like I was super offended, I wasn't. It was more of a joke than anything. So don't get me wrong, I'm not upset at anyone who flamed me on this, and in hindsight it does sound like I'm being a whiny bitch lol. I do however find it funny (not upsetting) that most of the time if it is a minority in some kind of a story it is stated what race they are and if they are white, more often than not it isn't.

But again, please disregard the previous post as a whiny tear filled comment.

thx in advance.

randedge
03-05-2008, 05:39 PM
well you know what, I myself disregarded when someone said she's asian.

So what, eh? It's just news details. No one in particular came off as if they were trying to make some insinuation against asians.

But now that it turns out she's not asian, no one cares what race she is.... So now I DO wonder.

badatusrnames
03-05-2008, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by randedge
well you know what, I myself disregarded when someone said she's asian.

So what, eh? It's just news details. No one in particular came off as if they were trying to make some insinuation against asians.

But now that it turns out she's not asian, no one cares what race she is.... So now I DO wonder.

Guys read the thread. No one said the woman hit crossing Deerfoot was Asian.

signature7
03-05-2008, 06:22 PM
:werd: ^^

randedge
03-05-2008, 06:48 PM
You're right.
You see, like I said, I didn't even pay attention. Who cares who's what. It's news detail.

I didn't realize this was the post that TaiChino was reacting to:

And then he got jumped for reacting to it and so on. I still didn't care about the ethnicity issue. In fact I kinda agreed with 403Gemini

Was she asian? If she was, it's a fact so why not point it out? Cry me a fucking river that you're so sensitive.

Then I saw this post:

DRKM : The woman who got hit is accually my Uncles girlfriend. Who by the way is not asian.

..so, I was under the assumption that somewhere in between the original post and these last few ones, someone was saying the girl who got hit was Asian - and that, that's what was being argued about.

So, now it's my turn to apologize. Sorry for not reading the whole post.