PDA

View Full Version : Flat spotting your tires

LUDELVR
02-29-2008, 12:47 PM
Who's left their vehicles sitting for a while off of blocks and have had their tires flat spotted for a really, really REALLY long time?

Just wondering if I'll need to buy new rubber or can I just simply inflate them back up. I wasn't counting on leaving it undriven for the amount of time I did :thumbsdow

BrknFngrs
02-29-2008, 01:34 PM
The girlfriends car was left like this for a few years by the previous owner and the tires are no longer perfectly round, they are more "oblong". While it isn't particularly noticeable to the eye you can really feel it when you drive.

Kloubek
02-29-2008, 01:37 PM
I've had this happen for a couple of months, and it seemed good to go once I reinflated it. But a REALLY long time? You gotta think there's a point it simply won't get back into shape. Besides that, the extra stress is likely to crack and deteriorate the wall anyway....

Can anyone say "blowout"?

97'Scort
02-29-2008, 01:46 PM
If it's not cracked and doesn't have a steel belt in the sidewall, you should be alright. If it's been sitting more than 6 months I'd be picking up some more tires.

LUDELVR
02-29-2008, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by 97'Scort
If it's not cracked and doesn't have a steel belt in the sidewall, you should be alright. If it's been sitting more than 6 months I'd be picking up some more tires.

Yah, that's what I figured. Have never let a car sit that long before! Well, I guess first thing's first, make the the puppy starts up!! Tires will be next on the list. haha Thanks for the help guys