PDA

View Full Version : Cheap SW20's in B.C.

AutodreamMarvin
02-29-2008, 03:30 PM
http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii50/habmariner/mr2003.jpg
I don't know if this is the same car, but I remember back in '01 I used to visit this girl at U of A. I remember this car with Cali plates. Looked so pimp back in the day.
-Volk AV3's
-TRD/replica wide body
Don't remember the Fukui hood/trunk(whatever the hell it is)
But even today this thing is nice.
$9500

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u277/csw1986/IMG_0006.jpg
This one looks a little rough, but it's cheap for a USDM.
$5000!!

I'm thinking of picking one of these up for a while. Originally was going to drive down to Cali to grab one, but don't want to deal with the hassle of importing etc. and having to spend money going down there to look at one.

Even though "generally"(key word: generally) JDM's are in better shape(underneath/rust etc.) I really suck at left hand shifting and I hated approaching left hand turns and to a lesser extent drive-thrus. Besides, every B.C. car i've owned has pretty good bodies.

So, what do you guys think?

stevo 27
02-29-2008, 03:45 PM
the white one was it ever in alberta?? and had work done to it at deltech performance?? i remeber working on one that looked EXACTLY the same

mr2mike
02-29-2008, 03:58 PM
Good thing you said "Generally" JDM's are better condition. My Cali car is 99.9% rust free, but if its a Calgary car, I'd bet that it has rust. Sask and BC are better provinces to get cars due to lack of salt on the roads.

Cheap prices. What's wrong with the engine on the widebody?

MackDawg
02-29-2008, 04:01 PM
The white has an 05 celica spoiler on it that throws it way off IMO.

I would go for the red one and build it up myself.

Redlyne_mr2
02-29-2008, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by MackDawg

thats not a celica spoiler.. thats a trd spoiler that comes with teh trd widebody kit that the car is sporting.

Thats Ray's old car, he brought that up from Cali years ago, IIRC it has a built engine as well but who knows what has happend to the car since hes owned it. It used to be super clean and a blast to ride in.. not sure if it still is.

Ek9Max
02-29-2008, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by MackDawg

Actually the white one has the TRD wing that comes with the TRD widebody kit....

But ya doing up a car yourself is always more fun.

stealth
02-29-2008, 11:34 PM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2

thats not a celica spoiler.. thats a trd spoiler that comes with teh trd widebody kit that the car is sporting.

Thats Ray's old car, he brought that up from Cali years ago, IIRC it has a built engine as well but who knows what has happend to the car since hes owned it. It used to be super clean and a blast to ride in.. not sure if it still is.

Yup, thats right.

I used to see his car all the time a few years ago in Edmonton.

clem24
02-29-2008, 11:44 PM
Ummm..... salt is not an issue for our MR2s since they don't get driven in the winter. It's all about the owner and how they treated it. "Generally" JDMs are in much worse condition than Canadian cars. The first thing you'll notice on JDMs is the amount of faded paint. Of course there are JDM gems and NA gems, from what I've seen, JDMs are usually worse off.

Don't forget that JDM cars are usually driven quite hard compared to their NA counterparts and I'll bet 75% of JDMs that get imported were probably drifted at some point or another. Also odometer fraud is quite prevalent in Japan, so I wouldn't trust the ODO.

Redlyne_jr
02-29-2008, 11:54 PM
Originally posted by clem24

Don't forget that JDM cars are usually driven quite hard compared to their NA counterparts and I'll bet 75% of JDMs that get imported were probably drifted at some point or another. Also odometer fraud is quite prevalent in Japan, so I wouldn't trust the ODO.

why would JDM cars be driven harder? japan is so small man i have to disagree with the whole driving them harder/ faster their is like no where in japan to drive fast... JDM cars are for sure driven in smaller increments because everything is so close, so mileage compared to a USDM is crap like a 100,000 JDM is probably like 150,000 USDM, Why would all JDM cars be drifted man its not like everyone in japan is best buds with DK himself lol you been watching too much Tokyo Drift just because they drift in the movie doesn't mean that the cars have been drifted.. lol... alot of the JDM cars that i have seen coming into Canada are in really good shape, yes they might have paint fade and ya the odometer switching is pretty true as well but if you buy from a reputable importer/seller that has documentation on the car you will be good... :thumbsup:

red99600
03-01-2008, 12:04 AM
i always say,
you get what you pay for.

pf0sh0
03-01-2008, 02:19 AM
I'll bet 75% of JDMs that get imported were probably drifted at some point or another.

That's like saying all the usdm cars probably were nascar vehicles at one time.

Team_Mclaren
03-01-2008, 02:33 AM
please, dont turn another quality thread into a RHD, LHD debate. Who the fuck cares. The OP doesnt want to drive a RHD, simple as that.

I would go for the red one, or look for a different one that the body is in better shape unless you are going to repaint it altogether.
btw: that exhaust on the white one looks funny.

sh0ko
03-01-2008, 04:40 AM
Originally posted by Team_Mclaren
please, dont turn another quality thread into a RHD, LHD debate. Who the fuck cares. The OP doesnt want to drive a RHD, simple as that.

I would go for the red one, or look for a different one that the body is in better shape unless you are going to repaint it altogether.
btw: that exhaust on the white one looks funny.

someone beat me to it.....here we go again..christ..stick to the original topic....

phrozen
03-01-2008, 04:56 AM
Marvin where the fuck have you been? lol,

nice to see you're still alive haha.

Redlyne_mr2
03-01-2008, 10:44 AM
Thanks Team McLaren... mr2 community is the best community out there because there are no haters.

Redlyne_jr
03-01-2008, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
Thanks Team McLaren... mr2 community is the best community out there because there are no haters.

werd up man, im gonna say go for the red one, its cheaper and you can do it up to your own specification and your own personal taste:thumbsup:

AutodreamMarvin
03-04-2008, 12:22 PM
That red one has a rebuilt motor.

Not too sure how well it was rebuilt and who did the work.

Kinda on the fence about it.

clem24
03-05-2008, 12:24 AM
And red one has obviously been (very badly) repainted. But then again both those cars have been repainted. :nut:

Personally I think you get what you pay for. Be prepared to put some work on them. Or... Just hold out and keep looking until your dream car comes along like I did. Or just buy mine! :)