PDA

View Full Version : Question regarding insurance

SNAATCH
03-01-2008, 11:32 AM
If you buy a car on a weekend and you can't get a hold of your insurance company to put temp insurance on it, can you use the plate and registration and insurance off an active car and legally drive it until you can get insurance?

tom_9109
03-01-2008, 11:36 AM
this has been covered in detail so many times its not even funny. Search insurance and my username, I think i posted in most of em.

SNAATCH
03-01-2008, 01:13 PM
I searched insurance and found no thread to what im looking for. I'm not about to go through every insurance thread and look for the answer. If somebody knows it would be helpful if they just posted it.

G-ZUS
03-01-2008, 01:15 PM
yes you can, but most cops don't know it and they will slap you with a 2800 fine and tow your car. Look for the act on here, print it off and carry it with you.

tom_9109
03-01-2008, 01:18 PM
you would be insured. the registration however would be a little gray as you can use another plate for up to 14 days providing the other car is being disposed of. IE: you intend to drive this one instead.

I usually get the insurance slip and then do a bill of sale for my registered car, use its plate and then its all good. or you can go get a in transit permit for like 17 bucks

SNAATCH
03-01-2008, 02:30 PM
Yeah i knew all about the plate and registration, just wasn't sure about the insurance. So to verify.
I have right now a registered and insured talon, I took the plate and put it on my new civic. I also have the registation card and insurance in the civic. So if I get pulled over because the plate doesn't match and I show him an insurance card for an eagle talon im technically covered?

tom_9109
03-01-2008, 02:48 PM
have you already registered the civic on your name before????

SNAATCH
03-01-2008, 02:52 PM
No, you can't register the civic without insurance. I just have bill of sale and last owners registration slip. All I have for the civic is Bill of sale, plate registered to my talon, talon insurance card.

tom_9109
03-01-2008, 03:01 PM
ok, it sounded like you owned the civic for a long time.

Do this. get your insurance slip, put your talon plate on the car.
have a copy of your bill of sale buying the civic and make a fake bill of sale selling your talon to your sister or something. If you get pulled over everything will work out fine.

When you're done rip up the bill of sale for the talon.

If cop asks you give them both bills of sale and registrations with your insurance card.

SNAATCH
03-01-2008, 03:06 PM
Why would i need a bill of sale for the talon? Are you not supposed to use the plate from the talon unless it is sold or will be?

tom_9109
03-01-2008, 03:12 PM
The registration is for a talon, they give you 14 days to use it on another vehicle providing the registered vehicle has been disposed of. IE crashed,sold or taken of the road. I'm sure you can get away without a bill of sale but the intent of letting you use a plate from one car on another is that within 14 days you will transfer that plate to that vehicle.

88jbody
03-01-2008, 03:46 PM
your insurance company will cover you.

with your bill of sale for the new car
a copy of the reg and insurance card for the old car with you in your name and current

and if they ask you are no longer driving the talon.

but yes The cops will often give you the no insurance ticket, my friend just fought and one in court. all he did was take a copy of his full insurance policy which gave the details of newly purchanced cars

AllGoNoShow
03-01-2008, 04:11 PM
Been pulled over before under the same circumstances, a couple of times actually lol, just keep all your paperwork with you. Talon Insurance, Talon Registration, Civic bill of sale, any thing else that has the talons or the civics info on it, keep it on you till you get your proper shit figured out. Even if they do give you a ticket you can goto the station on Monday and show them the insurance *cause u will get it monday morning*, then they will fill out a form and your no insurance/reg ticket will be dropped within 2 weeks.

GT4rally
03-01-2008, 04:35 PM
Wow guys... your giving a lot of misinformation.

1) Any car needs SEPERATE insurance to legaly drive on the road... meaning the insurance policy from another car you own will NOT cover it. You need to call your insurance company and get a pink slip! There's no way around this... unless you have a dealer plate.

2) You can use a VALID plate from another car YOU OWN for up to 14 days from the date on the bill of sale of the unregistered "new" car (provided it is insured properly), and the valid plate does NOT have to be from a car no longer used or disposed of. As long as the plate is valid and in your name it will work.

My father is a lawyer and I've been through this dozens of times with him.

AllGoNoShow
03-01-2008, 04:41 PM
Originally posted by GT4rally

1) Any car needs SEPERATE insurance to legaly drive on the road... meaning the insurance policy from another car you own will NOT cover it. You need to call your insurance company and get a pink slip! There's no way around this... unless you have a dealer plate.

2) You can use a VALID plate from another car YOU OWN for up to 14 days from the date on the bill of sale of the unregistered "new" car (provided it is insured properly), and the valid plate does NOT have to be from a car no longer used or disposed of. As long as the plate is valid and in your name it will work.

1. *Most* insurance companies will cover you using your OLD car's *the talon* insurance on the new car *civic* until you have time to go in or call in and get new insurance and registration. A simple call to your insurance companies 1800 or afterhours line will confirm this and give them a call in record. Yes some cops are assholes and hand out tickets for it but other then a little hassle it will not make it anywhere, most don't bother with the ticket in the first place because they know it is a complete waste of time. As long as your insurance your using is up to date you will be fine.

2. Yes the plate has to be valid, of course it does. A valid plate = registration, expired plate = expired registration. Common sense to relate you needing valid registration from another car to a valid plate. 14 day grace period on Valid registration.

SNAATCH
03-01-2008, 05:08 PM
Ok, thanks for all the info people.

tom_9109
03-01-2008, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by GT4rally

Don't claim your fathers knowledge as your own. He is a lawyer not you. The fact is you're wrong. There is a section in the standard alberta automobile policy that covers a vehicle not listed on the policy for a short period of time. There are rules and most cops don't understand it but it is there. I would never rely on it since a phone call gets you proper insurance.

We need Masked_bandit to pipe up and share which section of the policy it is but there is coverage.

As for the plate, you are not supposed to use just any plate you have on another vehicle for 14 days. Call the registries and check that one out for yourself.

SNAATCH
03-01-2008, 08:08 PM
i've talked to a cop about the plate before. As long as the plate you are using is currently registered to another car, and you have a bill of sale for your new car. You have 14 days to get it registered.