PDA

View Full Version : Key FOB question.

spikerS
03-02-2008, 01:28 PM
Hey all. wife's grandparents are over and the just purchased a new car, a '99 chevy malibu. vehicle has power locks and such, but not sure if the vehicle is set up for keyless entery or not. They didn't get any fobs for it, but i figgured i would check ebay and see what i could find.

Long story short, is will one of the 3 button fobs for a chevy work on any chevy? for example, these appear to be the same, but are they interchangable?

option 1, camaro fob. (http://cgi.ebay.ca/1996-1997-1998-CHEVY-CAMARO-KEY-REMOTE-FOB-CHEVROLET_W0QQitemZ300201994860QQihZ020QQcategoryZ33723QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

option 2, lumina / malibu fob (http://cgi.ebay.ca/1997-1998-1999-CHEVY-LUMINA-MALIBU-KEY-REMOTE-FOB_W0QQitemZ300202965253QQihZ020QQcategoryZ33723QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

any insights you can shed some light with would be appreciated.

thanks guys!

infamous
03-02-2008, 01:47 PM
yes, they will work. as long as you get them programmed properly. usually you have to take your car into the dealership for them to do it, and the cost is almost always less than $100.

hope that helps.....

blownz
03-03-2008, 10:21 AM
^ he is right they will work but you typically won't have to pay for it. Just go in and tell them your remote just stopped working (tell them it was working and you changed the battery and now it doesn't or something) and they can reprogram it right on the spot. It will take them less than 5 minutes and they shouldn't charge.

Xtrema
03-03-2008, 04:21 PM
Dont' know about Chevy but I had that experience with Honda before and try to stick with the same year and same model. And if in doubt, get one from dealership.

blownz
03-04-2008, 10:33 AM
Actually if the Malibu is the same as all Chevy trucks from the late 90's up to 06, they you can get any remote and actually program it yourself. This is how we do it on our fleet trucks so it should work for your car because I'm pretty sure we have done it with some GM minivans as well.

Get inside vehicle and close all doors

Put the key in the ignition

Press and hold unlock switch

While holding, cycle ignition on/off, on/off (leave key in the ignition)

Release unlock switch

Doors will lock and unlock

Then push the lock and unlock buttons on the remote at the same time

Within a few seconds the doors will lock and unlock

Then you can do the same with up to 3 more remotes

When you are done turn the key to on to go out of the programing mode.

Hopefully this works :thumbsup:

If you have trouble finding a spare remote, I might be able to get one for you.

rony_espana
03-04-2008, 10:34 AM
Pretty much all Key fobs from ebay come with programming instructions.....they usually work too!

antiguru
03-05-2008, 02:55 PM
I got a backup FOB from ebay and it works well