PDA

View Full Version : Good novel suggestions

codo
03-03-2008, 03:03 PM
I need a new novel and was curious as to what people would recommend. The novels I have read most recently and enjoyed the most are; Shantaram, Confessions of a Mafia Contract Killer, and A thousand Splendid Suns.

Kind of looking for something with a realistic feel to it. Something that isn't boring. Biographies are cool just gotta be good.

Anyways fire away.

jdmakkord
03-03-2008, 03:19 PM
Don't bother with american gangster...hoped it would be interesting, and I have barely got through half of it in 2 weeks of holidays.

ekguy
03-03-2008, 03:28 PM
Stuff by Ayn Rand if you like philosophy. Jonathan Livingston Seagull is also a good read. Anything by John Steinbeck. Ummmm if you like actiony type Tom Clancy stuff James Rollins has so pretty faced paced stories...Stuff by George Orwell such as 1984. Maybe even get Chrysalids by John Wyndham...Old Man and the Sea by hemmingway...all good reads more of a literature person myself either way.

swampbuggy
03-03-2008, 03:30 PM
Lonesome Dove - she's a big one, but shit doesn't get more real

+100 for 1984 - everyone needs to read this book

American Psycho - if you can stomach it, it really is messed

Kafka on the Shore - has a fantasy element but is a really smart book

The Outsider - quick read, very interesting

I am just starting The Count of Monte Cristo. At 1500+ pages it's an undertaking, but it's supposed to deliver...

teggypimp95
03-03-2008, 03:35 PM
Ya tom clancy is good. I liked rainbow 6

Crymson
03-03-2008, 03:37 PM
If you haven't read James Clavell's books, they're fantastic, mildly historical at least socially, and usually relate to legitimate historical events some way or another.

Also, any thing by Steven Pressfield. If you liked 300 and are interested at all in greek history, pick up Gates of Fire. Amazing historical fiction.