PDA

View Full Version : Trent Reznor releases new NIN album online for $0 - $5

googe
03-03-2008, 07:12 PM
http://ghosts.nin.com/main/order_options

Really cool to see this:

Nine Inch Nails presents Ghosts I - IV, a brand new 36 track instrumental collection available right now. Almost two hours of new music composed and recorded over an intense ten week period last fall, Ghosts I - IV sprawls Nine Inch Nails across a variety of new terrain.

Trent Reznor explains, "I've been considering and wanting to make this kind of record for years, but by its very nature it wouldn't have made sense until this point. This collection of music is the result of working from a very visual perspective - dressing imagined locations and scenarios with sound and texture; a soundtrack for daydreams. I'm very pleased with the result and the ability to present it directly to you without interference. I hope you enjoy the first four volumes of Ghosts."

All of the download options include DRM-free 320kbps mp3, FLAC, or Apple Lossless.

Free - Ghosts I
The first 9 tracks from the Ghosts I-IV collection available as high-quality, DRM-free MP3s, including the complete PDF. more info
Also available on thepiratebay and private torrent sites.

$5 - Ghosts I-IV
All 36 tracks in a variety of digital formats including a 40 page PDF. more info

$10 2CD Set - Ghosts I-IV on two audio CDs in a six panel digipak package with a 16 page booklet. more info
Pre-order, to be shipped April 8, 2008. INCLUDES immediate full download in a variety of digital formats.

$75 Deluxe edition - Ghosts I-IV in a hardcover fabric slipcase containing: 2 audio CDs, 1 data DVD with all 36 tracks in multi-track format, and a Blu-ray disc with Ghosts I-IV in high-definition 96/24 stereo and accompanying slideshow. more info
Pre-order, to be shipped May 1, 2008. INCLUDES immediate download in a variety of digital formats.

$300 Ultra-Deluxe - Includes everything in the Deluxe Edition Package, along with an exclusive four-LP 180 gram vinyl set in a fabric slipcase, and two exclusive limited edition Giclee prints in a luxurious package. Limited to 2500 pieces, numbered and signed by Trent Reznor. more info more info
Pre-order, to be shipped May 1, 2008. Limit one per customer. INCLUDES immediate download in a variety of digital formats

Since he is free from a record label (and loaded, haha), he's able to do this kind of thing now. The RIAA and industry as a whole could definitely learn something from this. I bought the $5 download just to support the idea.

Haha, the site is getting hammered so bad right now, so if you wanna buy it you might have to wait, or keep refreshing. He said if your download fails, they'll let you do it again later, because of all the high-traffic problems.

It's hard to justify pirating when you could legally have lossless, perfect quality copies of entire albums for just $5 and support the artist. I hope it's successful and gets enough attention that they give up with the lawsuits and start rethinking their business model.

iceburns288
03-03-2008, 07:25 PM
I already bought it this afternoon, the regular download for $5. It's all instrumental- interesting. I haven't listened to all of it, but it reminds me of Pink Floyd's Wish You Were Here. Not bad for only $5!

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

mark4091
03-03-2008, 08:15 PM
Interesting.

Mr. Burns
03-03-2008, 09:11 PM
Fuck yeah!

googe
03-05-2008, 08:19 PM
Haha he sold out of the limited 2500 copy run for $300 in less than 24 hours. That's 750k right there without even counting all of the people that bought the $5 or $10 options.

Not bad :nut:

Kloubek
03-05-2008, 08:21 PM
Good on him. I was already a fan for life, and now it's official.

I'm actually listening to it right now. It's decent for background music, but I wish he put lyrics to it, and made it a bit more like songs rather than a mixture of weird sounds and ambience.

Tik-Tok
03-06-2008, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by Kloubek
Good on him. I was already a fan for life, and now it's official.

I'm actually listening to it right now. It's decent for background music, but I wish he put lyrics to it, and made it a bit more like songs rather than a mixture of weird sounds and ambience.

Ditto. I'm digging the sounds, but keep waiting for the lyrics to start, lol. It even sounds like it's supposed to have lyrics in spots, but have been taken out.

I still think Reznor and Bjork should do a collaboration.

3g4u
03-06-2008, 03:13 PM
Im so sick of instrumentals from Trent. Still cant help but buy everything he comes out with.lol

Kloubek
03-06-2008, 10:08 PM
Sick of instrumentals? He never put out such an album before. Sure - there was the occasional song here and there - but he sings in 99%.

I'm actually diggin the first track. The idea of putting the air raid siren sound in there. I think it would have been better if he made it sound a bit more like an actually siren though...

Jay911
03-07-2008, 01:33 AM
I've listened to a couple of tracks from NiN before and thought 'yeah, okay that sounds decent', but when I heard about this, I had to give it a shot, if for no other reason than to help someone give record labels and RIAA the finger.

Haven't had a chance to listen to more than one track yet, but I'm sure if it's all like what I heard, I'll enjoy it.

eb0i
03-07-2008, 11:51 AM
Just bought the $5 download yesterday and love it. I especially like the cover art:drool:

Kloubek
03-17-2008, 05:49 PM
Ok... so I've had some time to listen to this. I was pretty excited to hear NiN had a new album.

There is some interesting stuff on here. And I'll maintain it's good background music - if not a little distrubing and annoying to the ears. Trent's concept is to give people a working piece of music, and then have the listener put video to it, depending on what the song meant to them, or if the listener knows what Trent was trying to project.

The first track has an air raid siren-like sound, and I can imagine the great war imagery that can be put to that. Nice piece of a song there.

But IMHO, this album is a failure. It fails to envolk any true emotion out of me. Hopefully if I see some video work in the future it will mean more.

But for now, the majority of these songs are just instrumental experiences, as I believe he called them himself. They have no soul. They do not make me feel the torment that Trent is feeling. I simply believe he is no longer tormented. Go back on the drugs please.

No doubt, there are some great sounds on here. They are wonderful pieces of songs. Samples maybe. Great piano and off-key pitch changes he is so well known for. But in all, I would be hard pressed to really call these "songs". Movie intros maybe. And a handful that get close at times. Only to disappoint you with

And even when he makes me enjoy certain parts of the track, he'll do something retarded like throw in what sounds like a banjo.

A banjo has no part in industrial music.

I stuck through Metallica as they became a music-driven band to a money-driven band.

I hope Trent is not on the same path. Losing his drive to make others "feel" his emotion, and realizing - Jeez - I actually have a pretty amazing life. I'm NOT depressed and disturbed. And I'm no longer sucked into the Downward Spiral. Perhaps it's time to reinvestigate making soundtracks for video games, as I'm fairly certain I heard a sampling of a Mario-brothers-like game in one of these "dark" songs.

Very disappointed.