PDA

View Full Version : Used STi

Scope951
03-03-2008, 10:51 PM
I've been looking towards picking up an 04/05 STi this ummer, however after looking at the used market for a good 9 months, I have seen that there are a fair amount of STis for sale.

Could anyone (hopefully an STi/ex STi owner) give me some info on why people are selling them with low mileage (<80k km)?

Is it the insurance (im <25 years), or some other cost? Just curious to see if there is something repeling about my favorite car...

Thanks

benyl
03-03-2008, 11:14 PM
They are ugly.

The struts clunk. Cheap shitty interiors. Interiors rattle after a year. Shit gas mileage. Small wheel selection. Expensive brakes.

Haha, mine will be for sale soon! How is that for a sales job?

Oh and mine is an '05 that I got in June of 2004. It only has 56K kms on it... haha

ZorroAMG
03-04-2008, 12:53 AM
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

redblack
03-04-2008, 01:02 AM
quick cars but expensive to run/maintain. Buddy of mine only gets like 300kms per tank

bignerd
03-04-2008, 01:15 AM
The gas isn't that expensive, all depends on how you drive, any premium sports car will also take premium gas, I doubt the majority of STi's on the market are being sold because they are expensive on gas.

I think a lot of people bought planning to flip them (from the US) but the car is so fun I think I will just keep mine now, especially since I like my model better than the '08. My car doesn't have that many miles on it so it hasn't cost me much for maintenance yet. The four doors are great too.

The car is a rough ride so perhaps not suited for someone looking for a refined sportscar or for a car to drive the kids around in-although I know someone with 4 children and his kids LOVE it. Well the interiors are not impressive, but who buys an STi for the interior anyhow? As well it is not a big car, there is lots of headroom, enough to wear a helmet even but its still a small sportscar.

The car is solid in the winter and a hoot to drive. Insurance isn't an issue for me, you could call around for quotes to see what it would run you. There are some really good deals to be had out there right now.

heavyD
03-04-2008, 08:49 AM
They are purposely built cars and that isn't to be a daily driver. There are some days where you just want to get from point A to point B without bone rattling ride, loud exhaust, etc. These types of cars can get tiresome for some people.

Also you can chalk it up to other factors such as availablity of new models and people getting bored of the same car and wanting to move on.

hampstor
03-04-2008, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by Scope951

Could anyone (hopefully an STi/ex STi owner) give me some info on why people are selling them with low mileage (&lt;80k km)?

Refer to what Benyl said as far as the gripes i had about my STi!

In addition to those things, it didnt really fit my life (camping/snowboarding/skiing -> plus i have a baby on the way). It was a fun car to own, but i can't afford 2 cars > 30k.

I traded mine up for a Nissan Titan LE w/ the crew cab and can't imagine not owning a truck anymore !

Scope951
03-04-2008, 09:16 PM
So for those of you that dislike the car, is gas mileage and chaep interior are your main dislikes?

Becuse for a used car at $30k im not expecting interior of the gods...

And for those of you that like this car it sounds like you enjoy the car for the ride, and don't mind the gas cost being > than a civic (lol). Vans and trucks get similar and worse mileage anyways...

tentacles
03-04-2008, 09:59 PM
Don't they recommend 93 Octane? How many people actually run 93 (or 94, I guess, since that's all we have) Octane?

benyl
03-05-2008, 12:52 AM
I have only run two tanks of 91 when I could not get 94.

Paying $1.20 for gas is awesome!

86_lude_86
03-05-2008, 12:58 AM
i paid 1.17 at schell for 91 the other day! i dont drive a sti but wish i did im in the same boat. its my fav car. compared to regualr its a extra couple bucks a tank nothing to cry about.

Destinova403
03-05-2008, 01:20 AM
Originally posted by 86_lude_86
i paid 1.17 at schell for 91 the other day! i dont drive a sti but wish i did im in the same boat. its my fav car. compared to regualr its a extra couple bucks a tank nothing to cry about.

werd... but you gotta remember that it adds up. for me... i use a tank of gas every week... 50-60L per fill... 15 cents extra for prem per liter...

it ends up being over 400 bucks per year extra...

Sorath
03-05-2008, 01:30 AM
i seem to get best gas milage on 94 octane on my civic :dunno: . i like sti's dont think i`ll ever own one though, not very practical

Zenshi
03-05-2008, 01:42 AM
I love the STi :) Still enjoying mine... but it does get a little too "rough" sometimes for a daily driver.

86_lude_86
03-05-2008, 01:52 AM
Originally posted by Destinova403

werd... but you gotta remember that it adds up. for me... i use a tank of gas every week... 50-60L per fill... 15 cents extra for prem per liter...

it ends up being over 400 bucks per year extra...

ya i guess i was just thinking of it as a couple bucks per tank. i go throught about the same depending on where im workin.

i was actually lookin at a couple of the 93 sti's on import concern. i would love to have an sti so if anyone thinks they dont want theirs anymore. i will take it off your hands ahah.

A790
03-05-2008, 08:40 AM
I'm not a huge fan of the STI, but after driving one a few times I can see their appeal to some people. They are pretty quick, and teh traction is great.

I just can't get over certain things the car lacks, such as a proper interior or decent styling.

rc2002
03-05-2008, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by heavyD
They are purposely built cars and that isn't to be a daily driver. There are some days where you just want to get from point A to point B without bone rattling ride, loud exhaust, etc. These types of cars can get tiresome for some people.

Also you can chalk it up to other factors such as availablity of new models and people getting bored of the same car and wanting to move on.

I bet a lot of people are probably trying to beat the resale market too since a lot of them were imported and from the US and Subaru dropped the price on the new ones - lower price, better car how can you lose?

And let's not forget about the category of boy racers who probably outgrew the car too...

yellowsnow
03-05-2008, 04:52 PM
shitty rear clunk problem. almost every STi will have this problem, and subaru refuses to fix it once your warranty is expired. car was fun to drive, but cost a lot for gas, and the interior felt kind of cheap.

handles awesome though, and damn fun to drive :D

Scope951
03-05-2008, 04:55 PM
So would you guys recommend a wrx or sti? im guessing the main factor you guys will hit on is the gas mileage, however how much diference is there truly?

benyl
03-05-2008, 05:04 PM
Normal driving, I get about 350 kms for 50 litres.

When I drive with "spirit" it drops to 280-300.

Scope951
03-05-2008, 09:49 PM
Did all of you guys actually drive to those crappy location to get 94 octane? I think its too much of a hastle.....

I think a wrx would be a better option......?

Perfect Dark
03-05-2008, 09:52 PM
Both the WRX and STi require higher octane fuel....but you can fill up on the 91 octane at almost every gas station and be okay.

kevie88
03-05-2008, 10:51 PM
I love my STI and can't see selling it anytime soon. It's so damn fun!

I regularly get 250 miles for 45-48 liters, so around 400kms. I run Shell 91 octane in the car and it works fine. It does like the 94 octane better however.

The ride is rough to be sure, but I'm willing to live with it as the car's dynamics are just so good. My last car (Nissan 240 POS) was much rougher so I can easily live with it.

With snowtires and stock suspension height the car is an unbeatable winter car.

I don't have a problem with the interior, I really don't think it's all that different from other Japanese sportscars.. I don't spend a lot of time staring at the interior anyways as I'm busy driving.

The one downfall of this car is EVERY cop within visual range will pull up behind you and run your plate and/or pull you over for no real apparent reason.. I've had my plate run so many times now it's rediculars. Also, every single ricer/BMW M owner/truck driver/ect wants to race.. it really brings out the worst in people, I've never seen so much bad, erratic, dangerous driving in my life!! The people around you go nuts as soon as they see the car and must 'prove' how fast their car is and how big their balls are. It's really pathetic actually.

dino_martini
03-06-2008, 06:12 PM
Did the 06-07 revamp do anything to the ride? Is it really like unbareably rough?

Scope951
03-06-2008, 06:38 PM
How about the 04 05 STi ride? Does your butt hurt after a ride? Or is it just the weak that dont like to shake a little

max_boost
03-06-2008, 06:39 PM
haha reading this thread almost makes me feel good that I opted for a regular WRX instead. Two similar but also very different cars. Depends on your needs imo. If you want power and hardcore performance, get the STi. If you want something more tame and comfortable, get the WRX. Does that sum it up?!

kevie88
03-06-2008, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
haha reading this thread almost makes me feel good that I opted for a regular WRX instead. Two similar but also very different cars. Depends on your needs imo. If you want power and hardcore performance, get the STi. If you want something more tame and comfortable, get the WRX. Does that sum it up?!

Yep, it does.

If someone wants to go for a ride in mine I'll take you for a spin and you can see how solid it is. (the car I mean haha)

asp integra
03-07-2008, 01:32 AM
i want to get an sti pretty bad! gonna have to take some for a test drive over the next few weeks and make a decision

Reap
03-07-2008, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by asp integra
i want to get an sti pretty bad! gonna have to take some for a test drive over the next few weeks and make a decision

haha x2
i love the STI, fuck they are good looking cars, I don't understand how people say they're ugly!

ExOz
03-07-2008, 03:21 PM
I test drove an 05 STi from the showroom floor. HATED it. Cheap interior, cheap exterior, well, cheap everything really. The off / on boost transition was horrid.

kevie88
03-07-2008, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by ExOz
I test drove an 05 STi from the showroom floor. HATED it. Cheap interior, cheap exterior, well, cheap everything really. The off / on boost transition was horrid.

Something was wrong with the one you drove then, mine doesn't seem to lag bad at all, and the boost transition is quite good, I love the way the power comes on.

I don't get the 'cheap interior' argument, haven't you guys ever driven a G35 or a 350z before? :dunno:

Exterior styling is of course a matter of personal opinion, I LOVE the car. It's ugly in a Bull Terrier kind of way.. I'm gonna-rip-your-face-off style.

The new ones are ugly in a My-sisters-mazda3 style haha

86_lude_86
03-07-2008, 04:23 PM
haha i would have to agree with the ugly for the new ones im not the biggest fan i love the wrx sedans tho. and i love the 04 and 06! i wish i could afford an sti the closest ill get is one of the jdm 92 or 93's

r3cc0s
03-07-2008, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by kevie88

Something was wrong with the one you drove then, mine doesn't seem to lag bad at all, and the boost transition is quite good, I love the way the power comes on.

I don't get the 'cheap interior' argument, haven't you guys ever driven a G35 or a 350z before? :dunno:

Exterior styling is of course a matter of personal opinion, I LOVE the car. It's ugly in a Bull Terrier kind of way.. I'm gonna-rip-your-face-off style.

I love the STI's power, and I find the power to be quite linear, and far from peaky as compared to lets say the MS3

However styling is left to be desired IMO
Sure it has Sport seats, momo wheel/shifter and a few chrome accents

but the interior is not so far off from a mid 90's jap sports car... I mean, only the dash and center console is luminated

The exterior styling is also a bit "boy racer" but respectable as it is unique to STI, I have far less quarms with that

for 47K new, the car is a performer and functions well as a daily driver

However comparing it to a S-line or S series Audi, is far from fair... though I'd sooner have one of those
but the MS3... with a bit o' tuning such as CAI, XEDE ECU mods and a better heat exchanger
you get almost as much of dry weather performance for alot less money, and almost the same quality of interior (actuality I like the MS3's interior far better than STI)

ExOz
03-09-2008, 01:33 AM
Originally posted by kevie88

No, my mates wifes was the same. And my wife drove one and found that particular model horrid compared to her earlier STi she sold. It's an especially bad car when driven on the same day as testing a new Evo....

SilverRex
03-09-2008, 09:19 AM
I know we're talking about the used STi market, but does anyone think the new STI is a bit better in terms of interior and practicality giving its hatch back nature? And it is probablly alittle harder to know its a STI on the road thus making it alittle less problematic if you are worry about cops and street racers.

anyways I will definately go check out the new sti next week in the auto show.

finboy
03-09-2008, 09:44 AM
its a $25,000 car with a $60,000 car performance, and to price it as they did, sacrifices were made.

what it comes down to is what you look for in a car, test drive it in traffic, if you can stand that, and still like the car, might as well go for it :dunno: