PDA

View Full Version : Write Offs?

2.2vtec
03-04-2008, 01:25 PM
I have been looking for a new car and noticed that a lot of rsx's for example have a rebuilt title due to their "seats being stolen"

So my question is what will make an insurance company write off a car? Does having the seats stolen enough?

wjjeeper
03-04-2008, 01:28 PM
huh?

2.2vtec
03-04-2008, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by wjjeeper
huh?

If you car got stolen and someone stole the seats and they then found your car is that enough for the insurance company to write off your car..

wjjeeper
03-04-2008, 01:31 PM
I mean I understand the question, but a write-off because of stolen seats. I think the number that adjusters use currently is around 80% of the car's value for damage.

topmade
03-04-2008, 01:33 PM
Maybe if the seats included the whole interior stripped. If the guy is telling you it was just the seats, I would find that very very hard to believe. Don't bother with the hassles, just look at another car.

2.2vtec
03-04-2008, 01:35 PM
I find it more on cars that are imported from the states...perhaps they have different insurance regulations over there. :dunno:

wjjeeper
03-04-2008, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by 2.2vtec
I find it more on cars that are imported from the states...perhaps they have different insurance regulations over there. :dunno:

most likely water damaged cars.... stay away!

gram
03-04-2008, 01:37 PM
This really depends on the car. Normally if a car is written off due to theft it either disapeared for the time the insurance company deems to be appropiate for a payout (ie 60 days) or that 75% of the value of the car is either missing (stolen parts) or that the car was possibly crashed. I would think a carfax or carproof would tell you the story behind the car/or maybe if there is an honest owner. The written off status greatly devalues the car as well so be careful if you want to buy one of these...it should be worth thousands less than a pristine example. A lot of stolen cars will be stolen for more than seats....things like engines etc...so you may be getting a car with a bunch of older used parts as well buying one of these.

JRSC00LUDE
03-04-2008, 01:53 PM
I have a hard time imagining missing seats being enough to write off a car.

Hell, when mine got broke into they took the wheels/tires/stereo/intake/small misc. components/guages/dropped it on the rotors and caused about 5 g's in body/paint damage and that wasn't enough to cause a write off. And that's on a 2000 model year.

I think if someone tells you it was written off because someone stole the interior they are hiding something a lot worse.

Masked Bandit
03-04-2008, 02:46 PM
Something stinks here. Sounds like water damage to me. I'd stay away.

403Gemini
03-04-2008, 02:52 PM
ive NEVER heard of seats getting stolen enough means writing off the car.

Take Masked Bandit's advice, find another car

Weapon_R
03-04-2008, 03:01 PM
An RSX is worth more than $15k. Do you really think an insurance company is going to cut the owner a cheque and forgo buying some new seats for $1500?

MrSector9
03-04-2008, 03:05 PM
price the seats from Acura and then you will see why :)

Also there is a reason that people are stealing seats and it is getting alot more common now since they are realistically untraceable.

ralliart_girl
03-04-2008, 03:11 PM
ok, to be honest, I didn't look up what the price of the seats were...but unless the price of the seats is equal or greater than 75% (give or take) of the vehicle's market value...it won't be written off..

Mask Bandit may be right....water damage...I can't really think of any other reasons why the vehicle would be written off without collision damage...and unless they like totally devastate the interior.

MrSector9
03-04-2008, 03:13 PM
I do agree the possibility of water damage, but i know some of the new style seats in most cars with side bags are insanely expensive.

rc2002
03-04-2008, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
I have a hard time imagining missing seats being enough to write off a car.

Hell, when mine got broke into they took the wheels/tires/stereo/intake/small misc. components/guages/dropped it on the rotors and caused about 5 g's in body/paint damage and that wasn't enough to cause a write off. And that's on a 2000 model year.

I think if someone tells you it was written off because someone stole the interior they are hiding something a lot worse.

This hits the nail right on the head. I'd be extremely wary about buying a car that was salvaged if you don't know the history. There have got to be other options out there.

Originally posted by MrSector9
price the seats from Acura and then you will see why :)

Also there is a reason that people are stealing seats and it is getting alot more common now since they are realistically untraceable.

I was going to disagree with you until I pulled up the parts list. If you were to piece it together from the individual parts it would cost a fortune especially because of the airbags.

The thing is, RSX seats aren't that great to begin with and aren't worth much used. I've seen them go here on beyond for a couple hundred bucks. For the risk you take trying to sell them versus the payout, it's definitely not worth it.

Perfect Dark
03-04-2008, 03:30 PM
The number they are using to determine a write-off is 80%...I know because I am dealing with it currently.

ralliart_girl
03-04-2008, 03:36 PM
Actually, it really depends...there isn't an exact number...hence the "75% (give or take)"...appraisers also consider other expenses associated with the repairs...for example hidden damage, salvage value, how old the vehicle is...amongst other things...it always depends on the situation.

Kloubek
03-04-2008, 03:36 PM
I think cars up here are very rarely subject to flood damage. And cars in the US which do not have a clean title are not admissable to Canada anyway.

ralliart_girl
03-04-2008, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by Kloubek
I think cars up here are very rarely subject to flood damage. And cars in the US which do not have a clean title are not admissable to Canada anyway.

actually, it happens alot more than you think, for example I know in the last couple of years (calgary and edmonton) have had really crazy hail and rain storms in the spring and summer, remember when the glenmore and the chinook parkage was completely flooded?? or like the crowchild?

Point is.....it happens

Perfect Dark
03-04-2008, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by ralliart_girl
Actually, it really depends...there isn't an exact number...hence the "75% (give or take)"...appraisers also consider other expenses associated with the repairs...for example hidden damage, salvage value, how old the vehicle is...amongst other things...it always depends on the situation.

Interesting, the guy at ING said it was 80% set in stone. Never trust a crook I guess :P

ralliart_girl
03-04-2008, 04:03 PM
:werd:

Team_Mclaren
03-04-2008, 04:25 PM
http://forums.beyond.ca/st/209709/importing-rebuilt-vehicle-into-canada/

I dont understand why anyone would want to import a "salvaged" "rebuilt" "brand" title vehicle. Keep those POS out of our country, JDM or USDM