PDA

View Full Version : March Photo Theme - "Macro"

D'z Nutz
03-04-2008, 01:26 PM
Whoops, forgot to put up another one of these. First 5 suggestions, then we'll vote again.

My suggestion: macro

Melinda
03-04-2008, 01:34 PM
I think it's awesome how many submissions we got with a bit more of a broad subject. Maybe we should try a few more of those to get the ball rolling into spring.

My suggestion is: outside - this can apply to being outdoors, outside the box, anything that can be interpreted as being outside of something else.

MrSector9
03-04-2008, 01:55 PM
macro can also be shot outdoors.

the only problem i see with macro is most (as far as i know) do not have a decent macro lense.

D'z Nutz
03-04-2008, 02:36 PM
You don't need a macro lens to take macros, just like you don't need a fancy camera to participate in these contests. There are a lot of tricks around it. If it ends up being the chosen theme, we can put up some tutorials to see what sort of things people can come up with.

Xaroxantu Zero
03-04-2008, 04:26 PM
I second for macro.

DJ Lazy
03-04-2008, 10:08 PM
Life.

whether its a photo of something that represents your life now.... or life in general, or a new life being brought into this world... thats my suggestion.. haha..

Gibson
03-04-2008, 11:36 PM
If you can count "epic," that would be mine.

Also "motion," but I don't get two suggestions.

Street_Soldier
03-05-2008, 03:15 AM
under the sea.

EK 2.0
03-05-2008, 08:04 AM
Macro...that gets my vote...let's get a poll set up D.

not it.

ex1z7
03-05-2008, 08:23 AM
Macro gets my vote too, I've been meaning to do something awesome..

D'z Nutz
03-05-2008, 11:35 PM
Sounds like there's a few people wanting macro but we'll put it to a vote anyways. Chance to vote ends in 3 days.

soupey
03-10-2008, 09:22 PM
what is a macro photo defined as? <50cms?

D'z Nutz
03-10-2008, 11:39 PM
Macro is typically defined as the object being 1:1 scale, which means the size it would appear on a negative or sensor is the same size it appears in real life.

And of course, the contest rules:

- Themes will be voted on during the week prior to the start of the month. Watch for the voting thread to get your input counted.

- Only one submission per month, per person will be accepted, and the first one to reach our email inbox will be your accepted picture. It may be in your best interest to wait until closer to the end of the month to submit your photo.

- The submission must be taken during the month of the contest. This is a friendly contest meant to encourage people to go out there and shoot new things, not a contest to see who has the biggest archive to search through.

- Include the EXIF information with your files (ie: do not &quot;Save for web&quot; in Photoshop)

- The largest side of your picture must be no bigger than 800 pixels.

- All photos must be emailed to [email protected] with the subject &quot;(Month) Photo Submission&quot; by 10:00 pm the last night of the month. This will give us time to gather all the photos, strip the data and post them in the voting thread.

- All photo submissions must be accompanied by your name, your beyond user name and a title for the photograph.

- No dramatic alterations on your photo. Colors, contrast, B&amp;W conversions, removing a powerline from the sky, ect. are okay. Please don't add objects to your photos or put them through a filter that makes them look like it's printed on stone or canvas or made out of a neon sign or anything like that. No boarders, watermarks, URL's, ect that could be used to identify your photo as yours. Use your discretion.

- All photos submitted MUST NOT be photos we've seen on this forum before. If you submit it into the &quot;monthly photo thread&quot; then it is no longer eligible for the monthly contest. This is to keep all photos so that we truly can't match them to an owner.

- Voting thread will be up for 5 days before a winner is picked and people will vote based on the title of the image. The winner will be announced at the end of the 5th day and their name (and photo) will make it to our hall of fame thread.

Good luck and happy shooting!

Godfuader
03-11-2008, 12:53 AM
Damnit! The time I decide to make a contribution, borrow a DSLR, get out into nature, find unique locations hours outside of Calgary, encompass elements including: life, nature, outdoors, water, B&W, plant, snow, ice, light, skies, action...happens to be the month where "Macro" is the theme. :guns: :cry: Ah well, it was fun none the less, got me out shooting again...next month maybe I'll read the thread before clicking. :D

seer_claw
03-11-2008, 01:16 AM
Originally posted by D'z Nutz
Macro is typically defined as the object being 1:1 scale, which means the size it would appear on a negative or sensor is the same size it appears in real life.

And of course, the contest rules:

Can we actually modify that rule? the lenses that I have go to a maximum of 1:2 and I really can't afford to pick up any lenses that actually can do 1:1. Also speaking for the people that enter with a p&s how are they supposed to do 1:1. I don't think that the contest should be limited to that as considered macro.

D'z Nutz
03-11-2008, 08:34 AM
Well, it's not really a rule. We'll just say anything that looks really close up is "macro" :)

But with that said, I'll put together a tutorial on how to do some macros without actually needing a macro lens when I get a chance. Hopefully tonight.

teggypimp95
03-12-2008, 09:33 AM
Well, it's not really a rule. We'll just say anything that looks really close up is &quot;macro&quot; :)

But with that said, I'll put together a tutorial on how to do some macros without actually needing a macro lens when I get a chance. Hopefully tonight.

Looking forward to your tutorial. I dont own a macro lense either.

seer_claw
03-12-2008, 01:18 PM
Well, it's not really a rule. We'll just say anything that looks really close up is &quot;macro&quot; :)

Nikon reversal ring does wonders with a 50 f1.8. ;) Or just holding it by hand. But I would also like to see your tutorial. Hopefully you can shed a little more light on macro photography.:thumbsup:

EK 2.0
03-12-2008, 05:10 PM
these ISO's gon burn your eyebrows this time around...thats how close the e-mack is gon get...

D'z Nutz
03-12-2008, 11:57 PM
Tutorial is up!
http://forums.beyond.ca/st/211229/tutorial-how-to-do-macros-without-a-macro-lens/

soupey
03-20-2008, 06:30 PM
is anyone else having issues trying to find something interesting to take pictures of?

and the ratio thing, how do you know if something is 1:1 ratio? what are u comparing the real size to?

BerserkerCatSplat
03-20-2008, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by soupey
is anyone else having issues trying to find something interesting to take pictures of?

and the ratio thing, how do you know if something is 1:1 ratio? what are u comparing the real size to?

Reproduction ratios work something like this - 1:1 means that the object in the photo is exactly the same size on the film as it is on real life - that is, a picture of a 1cmX1cm object that is reproduced at 1cm by 1cm on the film (or sensor) is considered a 1:1 reproduction ratio. 2:1 means it is reproduced at twice life-size, while 1:2 means it is reproduced at 1/2 life size.

If you know the size of your subject and the size of your sensor, you can do a little math and figure out the R-ratio. If you really want. You're not going to be disqualified for not hitting 1:1, haha!

D'z Nutz
03-21-2008, 11:49 PM
10 more days!

D'z Nutz
03-29-2008, 09:28 AM
Just a couple more days until deadline. We've got a few entries already and they all look pretty neat!

EK 2.0
03-29-2008, 07:44 PM
I keep burning my hands in my ISO's...but will submit mine in a day or so...

D'z Nutz
03-30-2008, 11:42 PM
One more day!

dmtx
04-01-2008, 06:58 PM
are we still voting this month?

DJ Lazy
04-01-2008, 07:01 PM
yup... D'z is just being a lazy ass... :rofl:

I already harassed him this afternoon.. :whipped:

D'z Nutz
04-01-2008, 08:17 PM