PDA

View Full Version : What other languages do you listen to?

Melinda
03-06-2008, 11:58 AM
I remember being about 7 when it dawned on me that music came in more languages than just english and could actually sound good. Granted, I grew up as a total white girl in a single language home so not much else was played. I know those who grew up in multilingual homes would probably have known that from an early age. Since then, I've always enjoyed music in other languages. Aside from english, I really enjoy a lot spanish and latin music, and I've always really really loved music sang in gaelic (though that's getting harder and harder to find these days). I find a lot of stuff from Japan and china is catchy to listen to, but I don't do out of my way to find it, I just enjoy it if it's playing. I speak french, but for some reason, the music never thrilled me.

So aside from English, what other languages do you listen to your music in, and why? Is it because of your culture, because you speak the language, because you grew up with it, or just because you like the way it sounds?

adam c
03-06-2008, 12:06 PM
vietnamese, chinese, japanese, some french, latin, spanish, german

JRSC00LUDE
03-06-2008, 12:08 PM
I hear a lot of thai/lao/chinese music because my wife listens to it. Must be nice to be able to speak/understand four languages. I like it as background music/fall asleep to music, melodic and soothing. Sometimes it's a refreshing change from the daily dose of punk haha.

She listens to spanish music too but I don't see the appeal in it myself.

rated_R
03-06-2008, 12:21 PM
I tend to listening to hindi/urdu music the most even though I'm not from India. Also like listening to English, Pashto, Persian (Farsi), Arabic and Latino.

01RedDX
03-06-2008, 12:23 PM

toyboy88
03-06-2008, 02:13 PM
English, French, German...

3g4u
03-06-2008, 03:11 PM
English, Czech, German

cityhunter2501
03-06-2008, 03:12 PM
I can listen to any language/type of music as long it has a good tune/beat

spanish, I recently bought Gipsy Kings Greatest Hits from itunes, 10$ for 37 songs
perfect long driving music

italian, grew up in Italy so I listen to their music. just recently I started listening to Neri Per Caso again, awesome cappella group, let a friend listen the song 'Le Ragazze' and translated the lyrics for him and we both agree its a great song

jpop,chinese,kpop,tagalog I dont mind them but havent listened to any recently and reason why I listen to them is because im asian

sexualbanana
03-06-2008, 03:16 PM
Dirty south rap. That's a whole different language.

LadyLuck
03-06-2008, 03:22 PM
german, croatian, english, spanish

drtoohotty1
03-06-2008, 03:30 PM
German, Japanese, English, rap, a lot of techno has little bits of other languages in it and most of those are good

Kloubek
03-06-2008, 03:41 PM
Du Haust Du haust wich!

icecreamvan
03-06-2008, 04:09 PM
Numa numa ehh...whatever language that is.

My ya heeeeee my ya hoooo my ya haaaaa

3g4u
03-06-2008, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by Kloubek
Du Haust Du haust wich!
I think you meen.

Du hast mich

turbotrip
03-06-2008, 04:17 PM
arabic and punjabi

nismodrifter
03-06-2008, 04:26 PM
http://forums.beyond.ca/st/111296/what-other-language-music-do-you-listen-to/ ;) from a long time ago hehe.

I listen to Punjabi music nearly 24/7.

Melinda
03-06-2008, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by nismodrifter
http://forums.beyond.ca/st/111296/what-other-language-music-do-you-listen-to/ ;) from a long time ago hehe.

Haha oops. I didn't think this would need a search. Oh well, that was 3 years ago, we have new people! haha (at least that's my reasoning!)

nismodrifter
03-06-2008, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by Melinda

Haha oops. I didn't think this would need a search. Oh well, that was 3 years ago, we have new people! haha (at least that's my reasoning!)

It's all good, I just posted it because when I remembered creating that thread way back in the day. :)

Re: punjabi music, white people/non-indians who go to my school freaking LOVE it. We organize bhangra parties at least once or twice a semester and they are a huge success every time. It's hilarious to see white folkz coming up to the DJ booth and actually REQUESTING certain songs that they love haha.

Hakkola
03-06-2008, 05:22 PM
Finnish, because of my culture, I understand it (for the most part), I grew up with it, I love the way it sounds, and most of all, I can listen to whatever I want, no matter how dirty or clean wherever I want, because the chances of someone else understanding is so small that if I ran into another Finn in Calgary the universe would implode.

HyperZell
03-06-2008, 06:00 PM
Japanese music is fantastic. Both J-Rock and J-Pop are awesome.

Vagabond142
03-06-2008, 07:35 PM
Russian, German, Gaelic, Italian, French, Spanish, FINNISH!! WOOT WOOT!

mark4091
03-06-2008, 08:25 PM
English and German

ken.bryle21
03-06-2008, 09:14 PM
filipino and english

Elev8d_St8
03-06-2008, 09:25 PM
Ups to Gypsy Kings....

i speak Japanese and French

If you go on youtube you can find some good J-pop/rock and even some good french musik...even tho i kno u didnt really get into the French stuff

Japanese
Zeebra- Street Dreams

French
Corneille- Parce qu'on vient de loin

Just a few examples....lemme know what you think

p.s. these are somewhat old but still elite

Gainsbarre
03-06-2008, 09:39 PM
Besides English, I am fluent in French (15 years of French immersion) and I know a bit of Spanish (3 years of it in high school). A good 40% of the music I listen to is in French -- asides from stuff by Serge Gainsbourg (no surprise, given my username) I quite like works by Jacques Brel, Edith Piaf, and Charles Aznavour -- all very old stuff, but very very good -- I find that French is a far more poetic language than English (e.g. some works by Brel or Aznavour is just as good, if not better than stuff by Dylan, for instance).

I listen to some music in Spanish...mostly some stuff by the Gipsy Kings, and way back when, some stuff by Julio Iglesias (yeah, yeah, it's a long story there).

I am also into some Israeli/Middle Eastern music, after being exposed to Ofra Haza many years ago. It actually happened in a Beavis & Butthead episode, of all places...they were watching this video, and I was instantly hooked (even though I had no clue what she was saying or even what language she was singing in).

XSMl8SpT6p0

Of course, me being ignorant at the time I assumed that she was Arab and that she was singing in Arabic (she's actually singing in Hebrew)-- wasn't until just over a year ago until I finally did some research into finding out who the lady was, and I'm glad I did.

signature7
03-06-2008, 09:39 PM
that numa numa song is romanian i believe

JMaj7
03-18-2008, 12:39 AM
Indian-
anything by A R Rahman and Bally Sagoo - Rischi Rich is good too...

Pakistani - Junoon and Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan(rip)

African/Arabic/Turkish music

Brazillian Jazz (Bossa Nova..the real shit not that shit u have on your 15 yrs old casio keyboard)

Lover's Rock and Dancehall music from the Caribbean...

Video game music and soundtracksfor film (classical..).....i think that covers Japan and some of Europe..and John williams wherever hes from

funkedelic
03-18-2008, 12:48 AM
just spanish because its my first language, listen to it prob just as much as anything in english :)

rx7girlie
03-18-2008, 08:55 PM
^same as above...spanish music is great since there is so much variety
My taste of spanish music includes: spanish pop and rock. (ex, Juanes, Mana etc...)
merengue, salsa, cumbia, bachata, marimba - these can be strange to listen to, since they are so much more about dancing to... but they're super fun!

BananaFob
03-18-2008, 09:02 PM
English
Mandarin
Cantonese
Japanese
Romanian
German
Portugese

andyg16
03-18-2008, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by nismodrifter

:werd: ME TOO i used to listen to alot of rap/hip-hop, r&b, and techno but lately all i listen to is Punjabi

stealth
03-18-2008, 09:23 PM
English

Arabic - I speak it so I listen to it, and love it!

Spanish - Just sounds good.

French - A lot of Moroccan songs (Arabic) have French in it, so I listen to it.

Dutch - Found some songs by fluke, and liked it. (Rap).