PDA

View Full Version : test driving used cars

dj_honda
08-05-2003, 10:29 AM
i have 2 cars right now, i am trying to sell one, and when i called to switch insurance on to the other car, the insurance company was telling me to keep insurance on both cars because "if somebody test drives the parked car and gets into a big accident, you'll be in big trouble". is this bs or what? what do you guys suggest i do?

Weapon_R
08-05-2003, 11:20 AM
It's not bullshit.

Take the insurance off the car.

Have someone test drive it and hit it.

You are in big trouble.

max_boost
08-05-2003, 11:58 AM
How are you supposed to make a claim without insurance? :rofl:

dj_honda
08-05-2003, 12:13 PM
ok both cars were bought from owners who had them parked for 3+ months WITHOUT insurance and without liscense plates. When i bought them i test drove them etc. and they didnt say anything about being covered or not for test drives etc. I guess next time i will make sure they are insured before test driving them. I was simply wondering about this, not looking for sarcastic remarks!

rice_eater
08-05-2003, 12:14 PM
well if the other guy is driving it wouldn't it fall under his insurance and therefor he'd have to claim it? I mean fuck...if you drive my car and crash coz you're an idiot why would i have to pay?

dj_honda
08-05-2003, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by rice_eater
well if the other guy is driving it wouldn't it fall under his insurance and therefor he'd have to claim it? I mean fuck...if you drive my car and crash coz you're an idiot why would i have to pay?

yea that is what i thought and i was wondering what the deal was with this.....thats why i was asking if it is bs about the insurance company wanting ME to keep insurance on it, even though it will be parked unless test driven.

Khyron
08-05-2003, 12:22 PM
You put storage insurance on the car, then phone the company the day before a test drive. Hassle, but cheap as hell. But if you get lazy and dont call and someone crashes, you are fucked. So if lazy, insure the car (or many test drives per day).

Remember, it's not the damage to the car you're worried about (well not much) compared to what would happen if test driver hit a pedestrian while you have no insurance...

If you borrow MY car and crash, it's MY insurance that pays. Test driving is no different.

Khyron

rice_eater
08-05-2003, 04:55 PM
i really hope that's not true man...i'm not arguing with you because i really dont know but fuck that is NOT a good law if in fact that is true...if some asshole crashed my car and i had to pay for him being an imbecil i'd beat the shit out of him...As for storage insurance it is cheap...i've had that for the last three months while i've been rebuilding my engine and it costs me $6 a month! for that little money i think you have no excuse not doing it...

max_boost
08-05-2003, 05:19 PM
Yup!
Some idiots test drove an IS300 at Stampede Toyota/Lexus awhile back and wrote it off! Not only did the dealer's insurance cover the damages, they are also being sued right now by the same morons!! Ain't that fucked up?!

It doesn't matter who it is, a stranger, best friend, aunt or cousin, if they crash your car, it goes on your insurance!!

StrokeD z
08-05-2003, 07:01 PM
storage insurance just covers fire and theft.....so if some one test drove your car and fucked it up it is the same as having no insurance at all

nickyh
08-07-2003, 12:54 PM
Once you hand your keys over to anyone to drive your car, it's assumed that you have given them permission to drive your car.
Your insurance covers all parties that drives the car.

That's why if there are number of people living in your house most insurance co's make you take out coverage for them also.

Keep the insurance - it's a real pain to pay for but it covers your ass.