PDA

View Full Version : Rebuilt Bikes

gee200
03-07-2008, 06:27 PM
If a bike had a rebuilt title, '04 gsx-r with 8000 km's... what would you value it at?

RORYG
03-07-2008, 06:59 PM
hmmmm, i would say 5000-6000 depending on the extent of the damages.:dunno:

gee200
03-07-2008, 07:07 PM
hmm. it was purchased from some insurance place and "dropped" by the previous owner.

then it was bought and fixed up with all new parts apparently. i guess there's all the paper work that has been saved as well?

i'm tempted, but i hear to stay away from rebuilts.

Masked Bandit
03-07-2008, 09:55 PM
If the seller can prove that the write-off was due to cosmetic, body damage then I wouldn't hesitate. Hell, I'd probably go looking for a deal like that.

tom_9109
03-07-2008, 10:44 PM
Go get it inspected at a shop. Written of bikes can be 50/50. some are total wrecks. some are mainly fairing and lights.

Just don't pay too much for it.

Graham_A_M
03-07-2008, 10:48 PM
Just make sure VERY good and sure there is no frame damage. If there is.... forget about it, honestly. It usually takes a vicious accident to bend the frame, but it does happen on some rebuilt bikes, specifically cruisers that have weaker frames then their sportbike kin.

gee200
03-08-2008, 03:17 PM
alright thanks guys.

can anyone recommend any good shops to take it to in calgary?

Graham_A_M
03-08-2008, 06:15 PM
Revoluzione.
http://www.revoluzione.com/

Or Walt Healy
http://www.walthealy.com/service.cfm

Both are great. Bow cycle is good too.
You may also want to take it to Calgary Harley Davidson.

I had to take a '89 RZ350 there, whereas I needed an out of province done on it.

I was absolutely impressed by them. They were busy as heck, yet the service manager pulled whatever buttons he needed to, to get me in that Friday, as I just bought the bike and REALLY wanted to ride it that June weekend.
I'd give that place 5 stars, they work on other bikes, not just Harley's & Buells too. :)

haunt
02-21-2011, 07:42 PM
Does anyone know how extensive the inspection is to get a bike from salvage to rebuilt title?
Do they look at the engine, tranny, and all the specifics?
I'm looking at a bike that had the inspection done from t.j.'s cycle. Are they stringent on their inspections?

revelations
02-21-2011, 08:31 PM
If you are able to OP, ask the seller for damage pics.

I was looking at a used, salvage bike a while ago and the seller provided me with the pics from the crash (ran into a parked car).

Graham_A_M
02-21-2011, 09:47 PM
Originally posted by haunt

I'm looking at a bike that had the inspection done from t.j.'s cycle. Are they stringent on their inspections?
No, but if you want lax, get it done at Calgary Harley Davidson, they just quickly looked over my bike and signed the papers.
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

What ever you do; dont go to Performance cycle, they made up TONS of shit that was wrong with my bike (there was nothing I knew that for a fact). Then made a big deal about releasing it, since Im not paying those retards to fix "stuff" thats not actually wrong with the bike. :nut:

I took it right from there to Calgary HD, and not surprisingly it passed with flying colors.

avishal26
02-21-2011, 10:12 PM
I would not pay more than $4k for a 2004 rebuilt bike, even if it only has 8000kms. Is this a 1L or 600cc?

Value of rebuilt bikes is ridiculously low, so take advantage of it when you're buying, because when you try to sell, you will have a hard time.

You definitely need pictures of the damage to see the extent - best to take it to a suzuki dealer and ask them to look at it...

haunt
02-22-2011, 12:45 AM
Originally posted by Graham_A_M

No, but if you want lax, get it done at Calgary Harley Davidson, they just quickly looked over my bike and signed the papers.
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Well an oop inspection is probably a different story. I'm hoping these shops aren't just quickly looking over wrecks and signing them off as good, potentially putting unsafe bikes on the road. :thumbsdow

I'm torn on this bike. I went to see her the other day and everything looks, sounds, smells, feels right. I have the certificate from tj's for the rebuilt qualification. A 21 point inspection that was done with a routine service prior to the rebuilt inspection. I'm waiting on records for work done replacing the cosmetic damage. I don't have pictures of the damages. I don't know how stringent tj's did the rebuilt inspection.
I'm probably just paranoid. I don't feel like I have all the pieces yet, like there's something I'm not thinking of. I've heard of bike dropped at one point, run fine for a few thousand clicks, then get a spun bearing.
I'm really close to pulling the trigger here though. I just need to hear that it's safe from someone smarter than me.

Go4Long
02-22-2011, 08:57 AM
It usually takes a vicious accident to bend the frame

unless it's a kawi :poosie:

and I wouldn't pay anything over $5000 for an 04 gixxer that's already been smashed...it's got a rebuilt title, whether it was done at 10 km/h or 200 km/h is irrelevant to the valuation of the bike. realistically if you wait around for it you can find an 04 gixxer with an unmolested title for $5000. I paid $4'000 for my R1 with a clean title...it had a couple more k though.

SJW
02-22-2011, 09:11 AM
Shit, my 06 GSXR 750 is pristine and it's only worth 5000 bucks.

You guys are way off your estimates for price.

Supa Dexta
02-22-2011, 09:16 AM
How many miles?

Ill buy it for 5k.. And turn around and sell it.

civic_stylez
02-22-2011, 09:30 AM
Originally posted by SJW
Shit, my 06 GSXR 750 is pristine and it's only worth 5000 bucks.

You guys are way off your estimates for price.

^^This.

An 04 with 8k and a rebuilt title... id offer $3000.00 - $3200.00 MAX

haunt
02-22-2011, 10:30 AM
I should've just started a new thread.
op is from 2008, so those estimates of 4k-5k weren't too unreasonable back then.

SJW
02-22-2011, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by Supa Dexta
How many miles?

Ill buy it for 5k.. And turn around and sell it.

For you 6K.

Go4Long
02-22-2011, 10:58 AM
Alberta has a strange obsession with paying to much for smashed gixxers.

Graham_A_M
02-22-2011, 09:26 PM
Hey guys, just a quick question, how much is an absolutely mint 2008 Gixxer 750 worth? it has 5k on the clock and is bone stock. (black)

craigcd
02-22-2011, 10:07 PM
Hey guys, just a quick question, how much is an absolutely mint 2008 Gixxer 750 worth? it has 5k on the clock and is bone stock. (black)

I remember messaging you about the above bike last year. At the time i could have bought a new 08 from Walts for about 500 more than you were asking at the time. They had bought up a bunch of inventory from another shop and were selling them for hardly anything.

Its about a year out dated but you get the idea. With spring coming you might not do to bad.

Graham_A_M
02-22-2011, 10:12 PM
^ LOL I remember that, no that was an '07 600 my boss was selling. I dont know much about GSXR's so I originally thought it was an 08.

Some guy bought it for either $7k $8k IIRC, that was my bosses daughters bike that she never rode. It was 3 years old and had 837kms on it.

craigcd
02-23-2011, 12:49 AM
^ LOL I remember that, no that was an '07 600 my boss was selling. I dont know much about GSXR's so I originally thought it was an 08.

Some guy bought it for either $7k $8k IIRC, that was my bosses daughters bike that she never rode. It was 3 years old and had 837kms on it.

Right right. Walts had either 08 or 07s for almost the same price at the time- cant remember. Glad it sold for you.