PDA

View Full Version : way to test amp in home?

snowboard
03-09-2008, 02:19 PM
hey guys do you know of any 12v power sources around the house you could test an amp with???

97'Scort
03-10-2008, 11:21 AM
No, you need an AC to DC converter. All places that sell stereos will have one, and if you catch them on a good day, they'll let you use one in the store. Otherwise, grab a car battery and a fuse block and use that.

BerserkerCatSplat
03-10-2008, 12:03 PM
Computer power supplies are 12V, I believe. You could try jury-rigging one if you feel adventurous.

Graham_A_M
03-10-2008, 12:21 PM
^ They really dont put out much juice at all. I fried more then a few doing just that.

Use a 12 volt car battery, powered by a battery charger. its not too smart to bring a battery inside a house, but if your careful with it, and the battery is clean, you'll be fine.

The battery can dish out the power as needed to supply the amp. As some of the spikes the amp requires will kill most power supplies. The commercial ones you find in car audio stores are quite expensivee. I remember seeing a used one for $300. Even then they usually use a battery for the best results.

But back to that battery & battery charger idea, just leave the charger on 2-8 amps, as that way the battery will still be nicely fed a consistant amount of power to keep it properly charged.
Thats what I used to do.:thumbsup:

97'Scort
03-10-2008, 01:07 PM
^ Yup, works fine. And for a source, just use anything that connect to RCA inputs (DVD player, iPod with 1/8" to RCA cord). Just make sure you FUSE the line from the battery.