PDA

View Full Version : Will Canada join Turks and Caicos?

e36bmw///
03-09-2008, 05:59 PM
nm

Canmorite
03-09-2008, 06:00 PM
A link wouldn't hurt...

Hakkola
03-09-2008, 06:05 PM
http://www.cbc.ca/news/background/turksandcaicos/

badatusrnames
03-09-2008, 06:13 PM
I'm thinking it would be the other way around, with the Turks and Caicos joining Canada.

e36bmw///
03-09-2008, 06:14 PM
nm

Tik-Tok
03-09-2008, 07:09 PM
Originally posted by e36bmw///
w.e do u think it will happen?

They've been talking about it since the 1917. I doubt it'll ever happen. I heard it's not that nice either. Just a big swamp.

badatusrnames
03-09-2008, 07:16 PM
Economically and developmentally the Turks and Caicos is far behind Canada and we would have to contribute much in terms of infrastructure, health care and social programs. The Turks and Caicos would gain much and Canada would gain little.

Sure, we would have a tropical island as part of the country, but we can currently visit the Turks and Caicos just the same anyways.

TYMSMNY
03-09-2008, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

They've been talking about it since the 1917. I doubt it'll ever happen. I heard it's not that nice either. Just a big swamp.

There's a huge infrastructure development project going on in Caicos right now. It's such a tightly knit community where almost everything socially unacceptable is not permitted.

Supa Dexta
03-09-2008, 09:09 PM
It would be great to have a hot spot where we could go that would still keep our money in our own pockets, so to say.. I'm all for it.. :thumbsup: But as mentioned it hits the news every yr or two, nothing much ever comes out of it..

HuMz
03-09-2008, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by badatusrnames
Economically and developmentally the Turks and Caicos is far behind Canada and we would have to contribute much in terms of infrastructure, health care and social programs. The Turks and Caicos would gain much and Canada would gain little.

Sure, we would have a tropical island as part of the country, but we can currently visit the Turks and Caicos just the same anyways.

How would Canada gain little in the long-term? Sure it would require alot of money to be pumped in initally, but it wouldn't take long for millions of Canadians to flock there for vacations and pump money into the place.

Right now Canadians are spending majority of there travel money in the United States, why not allow a good portion of these billions to be spent into the Canadian economy in another province?

badatusrnames
03-09-2008, 09:59 PM
The Turks and Caicos won't likely become an eleventh province, as that would require amending the constitution, which is unlikely.

How would making it a part of Canada suddenly encourage millions of people to flock there? There are no barriers to travel there currently so I don't see how simply making it part of Canada is going to suddenly cause these millions of people you speak of to go there. It's not as though we are going to extend the Trans Canada Highway down south and it would magically become easier, cheaper or more desirable to travel there. There isn't enough there to lure people away from established destinations like Mexico and the Dominican, and who is going to take a chance and put money into developing resort and tourist infrastructure to rival that of Mexico, etc if it doesn't make good business sense?

Initially yes, people would go for the novelty, but long term, they are going to continue going to the more desirable and more affordable destinations they do currently. Long term more Canadians would go there, but not on a massive scale and not enough to raise the economic productivity of the islands to Canadian standards. All you would do is add a poor island that would be economically dependent upon Canada. The disparity between T&C and Canada in every economic and social category is just too large.

Xtrema
03-10-2008, 04:54 AM
Do not want.

It'll take much to build it up as tourist attraction and with so much competition in area, not really worth it.

Last thing we need is a place we need to bail out every year or 2 with hurricane relief without much in return.

And what's wrong with Cuba right next door if you need a cheap vacation?

Now it's a different story is somebody found billion barrel of oil on the islands.

TheOneAndOnly
03-10-2008, 07:44 AM
long term hella worth it. People stop looking short term. We need to expand, its the way of the world.

Antonito
03-10-2008, 08:14 AM
Originally posted by TheOneAndOnly
long term hella worth it. People stop looking short term. We need to expand, its the way of the world.

How would expanding there help?

Xtrema
03-10-2008, 08:18 AM

If you think there's potential, won't US be on it like flies on shit?

TheOneAndOnly
03-10-2008, 08:30 AM
Antonia, its the general concept of progression. Annexation of Truks will increase Canada's amount of real-estate, plus its a huge opportunity to build a solid tourist attraction.

Xtreme, you need the coopoeration of "shit" for the flies to actually make a solid attempt, unless the "shit" is iraq or sommin. In order for this to happen, there will have to be a referendum held in Turks, and the people 60% + in approval.

Xtrema
03-10-2008, 08:41 AM
^ So you want Canada to get its very own Puerto Rico?

Why would progression have to include acquiring extra land mass?

60% is easy to get. If I'm getting health care, welfare and protection relatively free, why would I vote against it?

$100 say that the minute we take over, half the island will move into Toronto and living on social assistance.

Antonito
03-10-2008, 08:43 AM
Antonia, its the general concept of progression. Annexation of Truks will increase Canada's amount of real-estate, plus its a huge opportunity to build a solid tourist attraction.

Canada has more than enough real estate that's still waiting to be taken advantage of that we don't have money for infrastructure for.

Antonia? Jesus

TheOneAndOnly
03-10-2008, 08:50 AM
I'm 100% for expansion, that will not change. And sorry Antonito.

Its all opinion based right? And a point system can be implemented if one wants to move cross continent no?

Supa Dexta
03-10-2008, 08:52 AM
I know myself (and many other canadians) would rather spend my money knowing it was a part of canada, then just going to some other country year after year.. Sign me up, keep it cheap not have to exchange my money, and go get loaded on a beach like this:

http://www.cruiselandtravel.com/tc-001.jpg

projekz
03-10-2008, 09:15 AM
100% for it:thumbsup:

badatusrnames
03-10-2008, 01:19 PM
Antonia, its the general concept of progression. Annexation of Truks will increase Canada's amount of real-estate.

Area of Turks and Caicos: 417 kmē
Area of Canada: 9,984,670 kmē

We'd add an amount of real-estate equivalent to 0.0042% of our current area.

I think the Americans call their general concept of progression as you seem to define it "Manifest Destiny." I don't think Canada is in the business of empire building and nor should it be.

As was mentioned before, you give the people there citizenship and half the island will move up here and is going to end up receiving hand outs. You can't make the islands part of Canada and then restrict the movement of its people within the country, it would be creating a second-tier of citizen and probably wouldn't be legally possible.

The Cosworth
03-10-2008, 01:31 PM
"I think around 100 per cent of people (in Canada, and Turks and Caicos) like the idea," - Canadian Alliance MP Peter Goldring (Edmonton Centre-East)

give me what he is smoking

Eleanor
03-10-2008, 10:50 PM
I'd be for it.

nbaker00
03-10-2008, 11:11 PM
Providenciales and Parrot Cay are the only worth while parts staying on. Don't bother going to North Caicos or one of the other small islands.