PDA

View Full Version : The bow cancelled????

The Cosworth
03-10-2008, 07:25 AM
I was with my realtor yesterday and she mentioned she is working with a guy who works for Encana, and mentioned they have or are looking at getting out of 'The Bow' project.

anyone back this up?? :dunno:

It wouldn't suprise me if some guy was flapping his mouth pretending to be more connected than he is.

TheOneAndOnly
03-10-2008, 07:41 AM
i doubt it man. construction has already started. huge amounts of investment already in there.

250and3
03-10-2008, 07:47 AM
EnCana is selling the bow building, but that was always the plan. It'll get built, and EnCana will be the primary tennant.

The Cosworth
03-10-2008, 07:50 AM
Originally posted by 250and3
EnCana is selling the bow building, but that was always the plan. It'll get built, and EnCana will be the primary tennant.

I knew that, I thought they had already sold it and signed the lease though

rmk
03-10-2008, 08:09 AM
I heard something very similar back in January. The problems were so serious that they were going to build a giant parking lot and not a building....

DNSRadio
03-10-2008, 08:19 AM
no
this is the deal
the are going to be selling the building off to i believe its going to be HR and from there EnCana is going to be the prime tennent.
all the other floors will be leased out.
first 2 floors from what i have heard are going to be retail.
3-4 are going to proffesional services .. ie family doc and dentist , etc.
the rest i dont know yet.
they started pourin in concrete over the weekend.. i drove by and there was like 10 trucks lined up waiting to go down.

Xtrema
03-10-2008, 08:26 AM
So much false info in this thread.

http://www.encana.com/investors/newsreleases/P1170891602009.html

This is old news BTW.

Originally posted by brendankharris
It wouldn't suprise me if some guy was flapping his mouth pretending to be more connected than he is.

That's exactly what it is. Making public info sound like insider knowledge.

rmk
03-10-2008, 09:12 AM
of course they are going to paint a pretty picture for the public.

teggypimp95
03-10-2008, 09:15 AM
My gf works for encana. All of Encana will still be working in the new bow building. How ever Encana wont be the owner of the building. I guess this was their plan. Probably sell it to brookfeild or something.

Crymson
03-10-2008, 09:23 AM
It's something tax related. They get a break if they sell the building then lease the space, rather than own the building. Not quite sure what it is, but i remeber reading a blurb about it when they were first breaking ground.

benyl
03-10-2008, 10:34 AM
This does not look very canceled to me. Live shot taken 60 seconds ago.

Xtrema
03-10-2008, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by rmk
of course they are going to paint a pretty picture for the public.

Is my sarcasm detector busted or are you suggesting the rumor of Encana sell the Bow because they are in trouble is true?

Like Crymson said, for tax reasons, leasing is better for a business that owning and running a building.

If you own, you'll owe property taxes and pay the cost of operation which for an energy company, would be at a higher cost. Plus they will accumulate capital gain as the property ages and finding a right year to capitalize that gain is tricky.

Leasing will incur as expenses and they have more flexible way to manage the money and pay less taxes. It's almost the same reason why business lease cars instead of buying them.

This is the same reason many office functions like IT and Accounting are outsourced. Another example is Shell Centre. Shell built it in the 80s and sold to Oxford later on for operation and sign a lease agreement.

benyl
03-10-2008, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by Xtrema
Shell built it in the 80s and later sold to Oxford later on for operation and sign a lease agreement.

Up until 2001, TELUS occupied the top 5 floors of that building. One of the nicest offices I have had.

Xtrema
03-10-2008, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by benyl

Up until 2001, TELUS occupied the top 5 floors of that building. One of the nicest offices I have had.

Those were the bad times when they can't occupy all floors. Now Shell is spread into 5 different buildings like Encana.

DTTB_36
03-10-2008, 02:59 PM
TransCanada did the exact same deal i think to HR
built it then sold it and leased

Majestic12
03-11-2008, 04:37 PM
I work at EnCana and I can tell you that that is 100% pure, untainted cow poop.

blownz
03-11-2008, 04:42 PM
^ you are right, it isn't cancelled, they are just moving it to FM because that is the new centre of Alberta. lol :D

01RedDX
03-11-2008, 04:50 PM

bspot
03-11-2008, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by 01RedDX
There was an amendment issued, hopefully they relaxed the shadowing bylaw and they will get those extra floors back.

Unless the building design was also amended, the amendment that occured was actually between EnCana and the owner of the project.

There was a loophole in the original agreement that would have let the owner walk away from the project and screw EnCana. A dispute arose over this, and EnCana threatened to walk away if it wasn't amended (hence the rumours it might be canceled). The loophole was closed, and everything is good now.

Anyone know if Penny Lane is still just going to be a parking lot?

I miss you Taco Time *sniff*

bspot
03-11-2008, 05:31 PM
Just found out that one tower of Penny Lane is going up for sure. Sweet!

Godfuader
03-11-2008, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema

Is my sarcasm detector busted or are you suggesting the rumor of Encana sell the Bow because they are in trouble is true?

Like Crymson said, for tax reasons, leasing is better for a business that owning and running a building.

If you own, you'll owe property taxes and pay the cost of operation which for an energy company, would be at a higher cost. Plus they will accumulate capital gain as the property ages and finding a right year to capitalize that gain is tricky.

Leasing will incur as expenses and they have more flexible way to manage the money and pay less taxes. It's almost the same reason why business lease cars instead of buying them.

This is the same reason many office functions like IT and Accounting are outsourced. Another example is Shell Centre. Shell built it in the 80s and sold to Oxford later on for operation and sign a lease agreement.

:werd: The same reason why First Canada Centre (Bank of Montreal building) downtown was sold off a few years back...huge tax break being a tennant vs being an owner.

Swank
03-11-2008, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by bspot
I miss you Taco Time *sniff*

There was still a Taco Time in 5th Ave Place last time I was there a few months ago. We should go as it's a short walk and you're buying :D.

Rumors of The Bow getting capped at street level are what the OP probably heard, I hear them every day...

$109 barrel of oil today should help alleviate those concerns.

mikemechanic
03-11-2008, 08:14 PM
This does not look very canceled to me. Live shot taken 60 seconds ago.

Thanks for the picture benyl. I drive by everyday to and from work and can't see the bottom of the hole. How far down did they go?

Mike

afrotl
03-11-2008, 08:33 PM

lol oh yes those were the days I did like the offices at the Shell building.

bspot
03-11-2008, 08:54 PM
Originally posted by Swank

There was still a Taco Time in 5th Ave Place last time I was there a few months ago. We should go as it's a short walk and you're buying :D.

Rumors of The Bow getting capped at street level are what the OP probably heard, I hear them every day...

$109 barrel of oil today should help alleviate those concerns.

Haha, but it's not licensed so we can't go for beer ;)

After I heard that rumor from you guys I checked with someone at work who is very in the know on the new building (all I can say) and they gave me the details I posted here.

rmk
03-11-2008, 08:56 PM
Originally posted by bspot
After I heard that rumor from you guys I checked with someone at work who is very in the know on the new building (all I can say) and they gave me the details I posted here.

They are right.