PDA

View Full Version : West Coast Roadtrip

Garygash
03-10-2008, 09:24 AM
Hi guys, I'm from England and am doing a bit of travelling in America in the summer. Flying into Seattle late July and spending a month travelling down to LA. Was looking at hiring a car but unfortunately the driver is 22 so we are hit by the under 25 rates (and the one way trip charge) so we're thinking of buying a car for under $1000. Has anyone got experience of this? How would we go about registering it (do I need a US address? How much?), is insurance (3rd party) expensive and how easy would it be to sell the car once we get to LA?

Thanks in advance for your responses!!

Eleanor
03-10-2008, 09:09 PM
49Cd1KKDo1k
Dmrb_MUY0c4[youtube]
[youtube]QMxa4TtKDSE
i6i81he5VAQ
gMOH4pAogDI
nyJ7KLMKEfY

ScottysZ
03-10-2008, 09:43 PM
Well most of the people in this site are from canada, but someone might be able to tell you about registration. I wouldnt expect to sell it quick in LA though, since i doubt youll be there long enough to list it locally and have it sell exactly when you want it, and i dont know how many used car dealers would buy something worth less than a grand. Try http://www.rentawreck.com/ , should be cheaper than most of the other rental companies i think.

If you or any of your friends knows an american well enough, you could send them the cash and get them to buy it for you and then just 'borrow' the car from them to take on the trip. If you try to buy one yourself youll end up spending your whole vacation jumping through hoops, not to mention youll be paying for cabs while you look for cars, and on a car that shitty chances are something would break on a long trip, which could very easily end up costing you the entire price of the car. Good luck though, keep us updated on what you come up with, im curious...

O ya, thanks for the top gear, that episode is gold.:thumbsup: