PDA

View Full Version : Ticket Question... Cop lied on!

D_flore
03-10-2008, 08:46 PM
So went out to test my buddy's bike. I was going for a 1 km ride around a circle to make sure it was running right because it was my old bike. I got pulled over and the cop said he followed me and estimated I was doing 100 in a 60 but when I got home I read the ticket and it said he clocked me at that? anything i can do or are the cops just allowed to lie now?

white90
03-10-2008, 08:50 PM
slow down maybe?

you may not have been doing 100, but it seems obvious that you were speeding, some cops are dicks, but no cop would claim someone was doing 100 if they were in fact doing the limit.

SLOW DOWNNNN

D_flore
03-10-2008, 08:51 PM
as i mentioned i was just testing the bike for my buddy to make sure it was safe i sped for 10 seconds

What I was trying to explain was he wrote that he "clocked me" when he didnt

icecreamvan
03-10-2008, 08:53 PM
damn racist cops.

Canmorite
03-10-2008, 08:53 PM
So you just admitted to speeding and you're trying to fight it?

How do you know he didn't "clock" you?

Dj_Stylz
03-10-2008, 08:55 PM
Because the Cop "estimated"

tom_9109
Just because the cop made a mistake doesn't make him a liar.

D_flore
No im not admiting wow do people come on here to make things worse. I wasnt looking at the speed I was paying attention to how the bike was running.

I asked him and he told me that he estimated by following me for like 10 seconds

dj_rice
03-10-2008, 08:58 PM
Cops are allowed to lie, cop car crashed into my dads car last year, cop said sorry it was my fault immediately after exiting vehicle, a couple weeks later, both cops reverse their story cause they are trying to get injury and compensation pay

Thaco
03-10-2008, 08:59 PM
by the sounds of it you would not have had insurance or registration... consider yourself lucky.

Canmorite
03-10-2008, 08:59 PM
Originally posted by D_flore
No im not admiting wow do people come on here to make things worse.

as i mentioned i was just testing the bike for my buddy to make sure it was safe i sped for 10 seconds

:dunno:

ricefarmer
03-10-2008, 09:01 PM
No im not admiting wow do people come on here to make things worse.

Exactly. So your best bet is to either wait for your court date and get owned, orrrrrrr head down to Rock Mountain Plaza, plead guilty and ask for a reduced sentance.

D_flore
03-10-2008, 09:01 PM
why is a court date bad?

D_flore
03-10-2008, 09:03 PM
and yes I had my buddys pink car and reg

stevo 27
03-10-2008, 09:04 PM
officer i was only racing for 10 seconds

"i clocked you at 140mph"

but but i was just testing the car

no diffrence man either way you were speeding you fucked accept it

Thaco
03-10-2008, 09:04 PM
why is a court date bad? if your court date passes, you automatically plead guilty

D_flore
03-10-2008, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by stevo 27
officer i was only racing for 10 seconds

"i clocked you at 140mph"

but but i was just testing the car

no diffrence man either way you were speeding you fucked accept it

thanks i was making sure the bike was safe for my buddy to drive who just got his license a few days ago

D_flore
03-10-2008, 09:06 PM
class 6 ^

03-10-2008, 09:08 PM
Another Ridiculars Racist Cop thread

A+ thread would read again.

TegLover
03-10-2008, 09:10 PM
No im not admiting wow do people come on here to make things worse. I wasnt looking at the speed I was paying attention to how the bike was running.

I asked him and he told me that he estimated by following me for like 10 seconds

You weren't looking at the speed, you didn't know how fast you were going so that means cop is right and you are wrong, end of story. Better luck next time.

D_flore
03-10-2008, 09:10 PM
I dont think the cop was racist both him and I were white unless he could tell a difference in my heritage vs his

D_flore
03-10-2008, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by TegLover

You weren't looking at the speed, you didn't know how fast you were going so that means cop is right and you are wrong, end of story. Better luck next time.

why would you even post that it doesn't help at all.

Canmorite
03-10-2008, 09:13 PM
I dont think the cop was racist both him and I were white unless he could tell a difference in my heritage vs his

serial?

ExOz
03-10-2008, 09:16 PM

why would you even post that it doesn't help at all.

It does help if you care to understand it. You weren't even paying attention to your speed. So how can you bitch about a speeding ticket. And we're sick of hearing that you "were just testing it for a buddy" ok? Nobody cares WHY you were doing it. It's what you were doing, and that was speeding.

ricefarmer
03-10-2008, 09:18 PM

Originally posted by Canmorite

serial?

fo reals

japplan
03-10-2008, 09:19 PM
guys, all the man was asking was if the cop marked off that he "clocked" him doing 100, and he really only estimated that he was going that fast, will it make a difference?

Yeah, your not cool for speeding but like most questions on here they are simple and made out to be so complicated.

D_flore
03-10-2008, 09:19 PM
ExOz....if u didnt care then you wouldnt still be on here and posting? come on?

Kloubek
03-10-2008, 09:20 PM
Lol. He was referring to another post where the OP figured the cop must be racist because he was asian or something. It was quite funny.

Seriously though kids - I totally understand why you all get pissed when you're pulled over for various infractions. But if you know you were at fault, or if you're not sure - then maybe you should just suck it up and not complain. Generally speaking, cops can find more issues to catch you on if they so choose. As in most cases, including this case, only one ticket is getting off fairly lightly.

Now, if someone gets 6 tickets for stupid shit like tinted windows, loud exhaust, etc etc, THEN I can understand frustration. Under such circumstances, by all means - start a new thread. D_Flore: You're right... there is a ton of senseless blasting on this board and it gets pretty gay sometimes. However, if you come on here with a stupid complaint (like complaining about getting caught for speeding when you admit you were) then you can expect to get such responses. :dunno:

QUOTE]Originally posted by D_flore
I dont think the cop was racist both him and I were white unless he could tell a difference in my heritage vs his [/QUOTE]

D_flore
03-10-2008, 09:23 PM
I wasn't admitting I was speeding? I was just curious about why he marked the wrong thing on the ticket when he told me he didnt clock me? Im a broke student who was doing a favor for a freind it was just really shitty circumstances

Kloubek
03-10-2008, 09:26 PM
You didn't admit anything? Please see below.

I agree that's really shitty circumstances - especially when you're young and the fine isn't exactly cheap. Hope it all works out for u.

swak
03-10-2008, 09:32 PM
just bite the bullet man and accept that you f-'d up.
Stop being a pussy, you broke the law and got caught. Even if you did it for 2 seconds... your still breaking the law.

dr_jared88
03-10-2008, 09:36 PM
First off if I was testing a bike to see how it performed safely by speeding in a 60 zone. pretty contradicting. Sounds more like you were more testing his bike to see what it could do rather the if it was safe. And don't get me wrong, tons of us are guilty for that. As for the ticket you can always try to fight it and at least try to get it reduced. It's worth a shot.

Graham_A_M
03-10-2008, 09:42 PM

thanks i was making sure the bike was safe for my buddy to drive who just got his license a few days ago

And so you plan on labeling it "safe" by speeding like a dumbass on it?

:rofl: :rofl:

NICE!!!!!
I wish I had more "expert rider/mechanic" friends like you:thumbsup:

D_flore
03-10-2008, 09:45 PM
thanks but i wanted to make it ran smooth through all revs.

The point i wanted to get across was that the cop lied and if there was anything i could do about it.

Why do people come on here to bash people I dont really understand that?

D_flore
03-10-2008, 09:47 PM
Originally posted by dr_jared88
First off if I was testing a bike to see how it performed safely by speeding in a 60 zone. pretty contradicting. Sounds more like you were more testing his bike to see what it could do rather the if it was safe. And don't get me wrong, tons of us are guilty for that. As for the ticket you can always try to fight it and at least try to get it reduced. It's worth a shot.

no i had a midterm to study for and was doing it close to home to save time. I went for like 1 km

Graham_A_M
03-10-2008, 09:49 PM
^ why cant you do that while the bike in neutral?
I'm not bashing, I'm honeslty not... I just dont get why gunning it in an area where you shouldn't be: would be a smart place to test out a bike, or in all reality; how that test would work.
What were you listening for, or expecting on experiencing while 'performing that test' ?

D_flore
03-10-2008, 09:51 PM
its bad for the engine to rev it without resistance espically on such a high reving engine and you can feel for how smooth it runs or listen for pinging knocking that sort of thing.

dr_jared88
03-10-2008, 09:51 PM

no i had a midterm to study for and was doing it close to home to save time. I went for like 1 km

oh ok. thats makes it good then

D_flore
03-10-2008, 09:53 PM
thanks?

Rat Fink
03-10-2008, 09:54 PM

Graham_A_M
03-10-2008, 09:57 PM
its bad for the engine to rev it without resistance espically on such a high reving engine and you can feel for how smooth it runs or listen for pinging knocking that sort of thing.

if its piston slap your listening for, (which is primarily a problem on two-strokes, rarely ever on 4 strokes) you can do that perfectly fine with the bike neutral, at least that way you dont have to worry about road noise getting in the way.
That PING-ing sound is due to too low of a an octane level being used in the gas.

4lti7ude
03-10-2008, 09:58 PM
Originally posted by Kloubek
Lol. He was referring to another post where the OP figured the cop must be racist because he was asian or something. It was quite funny.
[/B][/QUOTE]

Not gonnna lie...that was me heh heh heh, but ya man.
I just sucked it up now and went out and made some cash now paying the ticket off.
No point in stressing over it...we all get fucked over once in a while.

D_flore
03-10-2008, 10:13 PM
Dont they need to prove I was speeding in court... if they didnt really clock me then how would they do that?

BrknFngrs
03-10-2008, 10:18 PM
^^ The cops statement is their proof, you need to prove you weren't if you wanna fight it.

Rat Fink
03-10-2008, 10:26 PM

theken
03-10-2008, 10:33 PM
you can hear a slight ping or knock at 100km/h with a helmet on? within 2 seconds. I tried listening to one of my farts at 80k with a helmet on, i could feel it, couldn't hear it nor smell it.

Graham_A_M
03-10-2008, 10:39 PM
^ your flogging a dead horse. This guy knows very little about anything motorcycle related. He took a bike for a rip after convincing him that he was "testing it" and was given a ticket for speeding.

This whole thread has been a shit-show.

stevo 27
03-10-2008, 11:23 PM

that wasnt a insult twards you im just saying your fucked if i take graham's bike fo a test drive and speed i get a ticket

D_flore
03-11-2008, 07:29 AM
Originally posted by Graham_A_M
^ your flogging a dead horse. This guy knows very little about anything motorcycle related. He took a bike for a rip after convincing him that he was "testing it" and was given a ticket for speeding.

This whole thread has been a shit-show.

like i said mainly what i was trying to do was make sure it ran smooth for a new rider. it was my old bike so i knew how it was supossed to feel. no harm in that

alloroc
03-11-2008, 07:40 AM
He followed you in his car.

There is a SPEEDometer in the cop car.
Speed = d/t. << the 't' is already in there.

If he thinks he is going the same speed as you, and looks at his speedometer to obtain his speed - you have been clocked with his speedometer - and if you were speeding, you get the fine and the demerits and everything that comes with it.

Now if he was on a horse he would have to use a stopwatch and landmarks. He wasn't on a horse was he?

alloroc
03-11-2008, 07:46 AM

like i said mainly what i was trying to do was make sure it ran smooth for a new rider. it was my old bike so i knew how it was supossed to feel. no harm in that

Well yes, there is harm. You were speeding. It is the law. Laws are for everyone's safety. Laws are pretty much black and white. Either you were breaking the law or you were not. Duh Gee officer I was only robbing that bank a little bit. I wanted to see if the bank was safe. Muh buddy was gonna put some money in here from a motorbike I sold him.

rediculars

Jay911
03-11-2008, 08:08 AM
1. "I sped for 10 seconds" / "I did it for 1 km"

Either one of these statements is a lie, or you were not doing 100kph. In order to travel 1km in 10 sec, you would have had to have been going 360kph.

2. Was this you I caught on video on Sunday?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yuKWbadMvt8

03-11-2008, 08:11 AM
RIDICULARS --------> if everyone hates these ticket threads so much, why does everyone keep posting in them?

SilverRex
03-11-2008, 08:38 AM
sorry but I find this thread quite amusing. Made my day at work :nut:

rc2002
03-11-2008, 08:49 AM
anything i can do or are the cops just allowed to lie now?

They can lie and nobody would ever know. A court would take their word over yours any day.

403Gemini
03-11-2008, 08:49 AM
Originally posted by richardchan2002

They can lie and nobody would ever know. A court would take their word over yours any day.

:werd: , i know i would

icecreamvan
03-11-2008, 09:11 AM
and yes I had my buddys pink car and reg

The cop pulled you over for driving a pink car. He's sexist!

4lti7ude
03-11-2008, 09:21 AM
Originally posted by 410440
RIDICULARS --------&gt; if everyone hates these ticket threads so much, why does everyone keep posting in them?

:werd:

Mr_ET
03-11-2008, 09:31 AM
Here's how I see it no matter what your reason was for speeding, you still sped and fortunuatly a cop caught you in the act.

If you are broke and can't pay the ticket then maybe you should have thought of that before you sped...

I don't care what the reason was, it's never a good one.

Pay the ticket and stop bitching on Beyond. You will not find support here. Douchebag:banghead:

D_flore
03-11-2008, 09:58 AM
haha just looking for a little advice people love to get there anger out on here hey. i wonder how many people would say the same things in a face to face converstaion

Daan
03-11-2008, 10:00 AM
you can prove he lied as well as you can prove you sped for 10 seconds

that must have been a nice fine

What I was trying to explain was he wrote that he &quot;clocked me&quot; when he didnt

D_flore
03-11-2008, 10:01 AM
o this thread was more about an ethical issue and the cop lieing.. o and i got some frustration out as well

D_flore
03-11-2008, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by Daan
you can prove he lied as well as you can prove you sped for 10 seconds

that must have been a nice fine

264 dollars ahhhh

D_flore
03-11-2008, 10:06 AM
o and i was wondering how it is so unsafe. if i hit a car its more my problem than there's and a bike can stop way way way faster than the cars that were on the road when they made these speed limits.

Antonito
03-11-2008, 10:17 AM
haha just looking for a little advice people love to get there anger out on here hey. i wonder how many people would say the same things in a face to face converstaion

haha e-thugging to boot. The Douche is strong in this one

Jay911
03-11-2008, 12:22 PM
o and i was wondering how it is so unsafe. if i hit a car its more my problem than there's

So what you're saying is when a bike hits a car the people in the car aren't involved. Yeah. It's not their problem, right?! They're not affected at all--

http://www.jay911.org/images/fun/car-vs-mc.jpg

Oh wait.. no, what I meant to say is they are. You fucking tool.

ralliart_girl
03-11-2008, 12:25 PM
o and i was wondering how it is so unsafe. if i hit a car its more my problem than there's and a bike can stop way way way faster than the cars that were on the road when they made these speed limits.

That is honestly the stupidest thing I EVER read!

DNSRadio
03-11-2008, 12:30 PM

yeah they can do that now
didnt u know.....

shiet son where u been?

LMAO

:rofl: @ the thread..

i was testing the bike... lol
i was only speeding for 10 seconds to see if the bike was safe @ 140 km/h ...

if ur buddy just got his license and just got the bike.. he shouldnt even be riding at those speeds

:rofl:

start him off with training wheels..
:rofl:

canuckcarguy
03-11-2008, 12:51 PM
okay, I'm going to go out on a limb here and actually answer the question. If the cop made a mistake writing the ticket, that might very well be a valid defense. If the cop screws up your name, or cites the wrong violation, or (as in this case) claims to have clocked you when in fact the speed was only an estimate, you have a valid argument to make in court. You are not required to testify as to your speed (no self-incrimination required), and I think it's valid to question the cop as to how, exactly, he determined your speed. Yeah, sure, it's a technicality, but so what?

At a minimum, it should be good for a reduction in penalty and demerits. And you might get off entirely. If you're a good talker, go to court by yourself and do your best, it's not that hard. You could also go to one of the ticket defense companies, but you won't be saving much money that way.

Good luck.

Rat Fink
03-11-2008, 12:58 PM

Mr_ET
03-11-2008, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by canuckcarguy
okay, I'm going to go out on a limb here and actually answer the question. If the cop made a mistake writing the ticket, that might very well be a valid defense. If the cop screws up your name, or cites the wrong violation, or (as in this case) claims to have clocked you when in fact the speed was only an estimate, you have a valid argument to make in court. You are not required to testify as to your speed (no self-incrimination required), and I think it's valid to question the cop as to how, exactly, he determined your speed. Yeah, sure, it's a technicality, but so what?

At a minimum, it should be good for a reduction in penalty and demerits. And you might get off entirely. If you're a good talker, go to court by yourself and do your best, it's not that hard. You could also go to one of the ticket defense companies, but you won't be saving much money that way.

Good luck.

So this guy proved he was a tool and a douche and yet you will help him fight this ticket so it can encourage him to do this again?

I have 2 daughters so maybe I see things differently but going 100 in a 60 zone is a great way to kill pedestrians no matter how fast your bike can slow down...

canuckcarguy
03-11-2008, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by Mr_ET

So this guy proved he was a tool and a douche and yet you will help him fight this ticket so it can encourage him to do this again?

I have 2 daughters so maybe I see things differently but going 100 in a 60 zone is a great way to kill pedestrians no matter how fast your bike can slow down...

We have here a forum full of vehicle enthusiasts, all of whom claim, if you read this thread, to never exceed the speed limit or make any mistakes while driving. I haven't had a ticket in years, and I'm a relatively careful driver, but I won't suggest for a second that I have never exceeded the limit. That might make me a pariah around here, but not a hypocrite.

We have a rule of law in this country that requires the police to follow certain laws, and one of them is to follow procedure when enforcing traffic code. If this cop didn't follow procedure, then he's been a bit of a douche himself, and maybe needs a reminder of his own responsibilities. Not sure if the OP is an ass-hat or not, but in my own experience, going to court and discussing the nature of the charges against you is as effective, perhaps even more effective, than simply writing a cheque and paying the fine. He'll doubtless get an earful even if he wins, and may or may not learn his lesson. But if he's to follow the rules, surely he can expect the same from the police who enforce the law? And while I certainly value my own daughter's safety, I'll also teach her that we live in a civilized democracy, and that it's within her right to challenge authority when they exceed their own limits.

We all know that most speed limit enforcement has more to do with revenue generation than with safety, and I've got no problem with a driver who wants his or her day in court.

Mr_ET
03-11-2008, 01:54 PM
I can agree with you that if an officer exceeds his own limits something must be done but I don't believe this is the case here.

OP has said so himself he was speeding for 10 seconds trying a bike.

He was caught by an officer while doing so. He was not verbally abused, he was not hit by the officer and he was not charged for something he did not do.

I will be the first one to agree that most times the police is just trying to make money off of us all but in this case speeding on a bike in a 60 zone was not safe.

Just to give you an idea I have lost my liscence twice for speeding when I first got my pobation one and then a full 15 point one.

I have done stupid things too and I have paid a lot of money for all of it but I never wrote this on a car forum trying to get out of it because someones name was written wrong.

I knew I screwed up and now I am a much safer driver because of this. I haven't had a ticket in 5-6 years because I am no longer prepared to put my life and other innocent peoples lives in danger...

mikestang
03-11-2008, 01:58 PM

Just lightly noting... there are a few 60-70 zones where there aren't even sidewalks on the side of the road and fences to boot.. nothing to hide behind either....

I HATE those roads... you feel like you're going 15 on them, when they shoud be considered almost a freeway :/ (double lane divided).. you'd think a good speed would be 80 on them (which is what everyone does) but its still 60 :x

canuckcarguy
03-11-2008, 02:10 PM
I can agree with you that if an officer exceeds his own limits something must be done but I don't believe this is the case here.

OP has said so himself he was speeding for 10 seconds trying a bike.

He was caught by an officer while doing so. He was not verbally abused, he was not hit by the officer and he was not charged for something he did not do.

I will be the first one to agree that most times the police is just trying to make money off of us all but in this case speeding on a bike in a 60 zone was not safe.

Just to give you an idea I have lost my liscence twice for speeding when I first got my pobation one and then a full 15 point one.

I have done stupid things too and I have paid a lot of money for all of it but I never wrote this on a car forum trying to get out of it because someones name was written wrong.

I knew I screwed up and now I am a much safer driver because of this. I haven't had a ticket in 5-6 years because I am no longer prepared to put my life and other innocent peoples lives in danger...

Fair enough, I was pretty reckless when I was younger, and I'm pretty careful now. My last ticket was about 4 years ago, when I was nailed for doing 71 in a 60 zone. Non-residential, middle of the day, and they pulled over pretty much every car they could. Talk about revenue generation. In court the cop admitted that I was the slowest car they tagged that day, and that the average speed of traffic on that stretch of road was closer to 80.

But in this case, the OP was driving fast, but there's no indication he put anybody at risk. He wasn't charged with "driving with undue care and attention", or with stunting or dangerous driving. And he's just asking if he's got a chance of beating the ticket, given that the cop may have made some mistakes writing it up.

I'm not defending his driving, but I am suggesting that he might be able to take advantage of the cop's mistake. And since the cops have very little credibility when it comes to speed enforcement, precisely because it is primarily a revenue generator, I don't have a whole lot of sympathy for a cop who loses in court because of sloppy paperwork.

bashir26
03-11-2008, 02:11 PM
OMG he lied, are you serious?!

Dude WTF are you going to do? your totally fucked!

Jay911
03-11-2008, 02:17 PM
Well, canuckcarguy, I won't deny that I have drive above the posted speed limit in the past, and most likely will in the future. I've even had tickets for it. What I don't do is scour the ticket to look for ways to get out of paying (literally and figuratively) for my actions.

I know Calgary fairly well, as my job requires me to. A lot of the places that are signed to 60kph (and perhaps lower in some areas) are 4 or 5 lanes wide in each direction and could easily sustain traffic of 100kph or greater. I would rather see posted speeds adjusted to the point where they are set with the road and the drivers in mind instead of some arbitrary limit picked by an engineer 50 years ago. In my experience, most roads in Canada are signed to speeds in kph that they could "handle" in mph. That is, a road signed to 60kph could be safely traversed at 60mph, or 100kph.

Having said that, and getting back to the point of the OP, I'm saying that I know that 100 in a 60 in a lot of places in this city/province is not a truly dangerous situation, technically speaking, if you don't factor in other road users. I can't condone it, though, because of the other people that would be involved, like the drivers that are going slower, or pulling in/out of parking lots and side streets, pedestrians, wildlife, kids running out into the street after runaway toys, etc.

What really pisses me off about this kind of thread, though, is the asshat attitude taken by the people starting these threads, about how they're only hurting themselves if they mess up, and how they're so much better than all the other drivers and have superior equipment that can handle the situation. I have spent the last 17 years in fire/rescue in the Calgary area and have been to dozens of fatal motor vehicle collisions, many of which by people sporting the same attitude I describe above. In the area depicted in the Youtube video I posted alone, I've been to several fatal crashes and a number of others, including one where a belted-in passenger was rendered a quadriplegic because his drunk friend lost control on the curve and overcorrected, flipping the car 3 times. On that very same curve several years ago, a kid on a bike "testing it out" took the curve too fast and went into the ditch, eating 3 or 4 fence posts along the way. Despite his full-face helmet (and no leathers, but that's beside the point), his jaw was completely destroyed, and he was in full cardiac arrest. Two medics, another firefighter, and I, did CPR on the poor guy all the way into the Foothills Hospital from there - me trying to maintain a breathing passage with a face that had been turned to jello - but he was pronounced dead as soon as the trauma docs saw him. On the opposite corner of that curve, a few years later, a small SUV went out of control and flipped, striking an oncoming woman on a touring bike, who died at the scene. A couple years ago in Kananaskis, a guy on a sport bike in the middle of the night hit a deer hard enough to split it in two, and fractured both his wrists as he was thrown from the bike, landing face-down in a snow-and-water-filled ditch.

I really don't mean to be preachy or an asshole about things, but I see no benefit to fucking around on the roads and trying to get out of punishment for breaking the law. As I said, I agree that the law in some cases is too cautious or just outright wrong, but knowingly breaking it and then trying to get out of dealing with the consequences is not the way to go about getting that changed. Neither is calling a cop (or all cops) "douchebags" and giving them grief for catching you doing something wrong. I'd much rather a cop give someone a ticket for 100 in a 60 than let him go by because "oh, he's on a bike, he can stop way better than any car" and end up smearing a pedestrian all over 16th Avenue down the block. Lastly, and this may sound like laziness on my part, but I have no desire to pick up skull fragments and brain matter all the time off the highway. It gets old real quick, especially when you consider if people would pull their head out of their ass and focus on driving responsibly, it wouldn't happen so much.

Antonito
03-11-2008, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by canuckcarguy

Fair enough, I was pretty reckless when I was younger, and I'm pretty careful now. My last ticket was about 4 years ago, when I was nailed for doing 71 in a 60 zone.

Serious question, how much of your deciding to slow down and be more carefull was because of tickets or the chance of tickets?

Because that's the main reason people around here give people like this a hard time. Not because they've never sped, but because tickets are the only non-lethal way for a lot of people to realise that maybe they should stop driving like jackasses. So when a guy gets a ticket for doing something wrong, and then tries to get out of it, it takes away the lesson.

canuckcarguy
03-11-2008, 03:01 PM
Once again, I wasn't defending his driving. I wrote that the cop was being a bit of a douchebag by not following his own rules, because the previous poster said the OP was a douchebag. I was drawing a comparison. Truthfully, I'm not some cop-hating speed-freak who insists on being irresponsible.

The OP was speeding. Okay. We can argue the merits of that all day long, though I suspect our positions on that issue are relatively similar. Hopefully, he reads your last post as an experienced member of the emergency response team, and re-evaluates his driving attitude and behaviour. Good enough.

But if the cop erred when he wrote the ticket, it's well within the OP's rights to appeal the citation on that basis, regardless of whether he was breaking the law. We could get all philosophical here, if you like... if there's merit in arguing that the OP should obey the posted speed limit because it's there for society's protection, you should also allow that cops should follow procedure for exactly the same reason - society's protection. When we as citizens allow these procedures to grow lax, and the officers to get complacent, we put ourselves at risk as well. I'm glad that cops must be not only legally, but also technicallly correct, since that standard helps to ensure that their fervour for their vocation doesn't trample on our well-established civil rights.

ExOz
03-11-2008, 03:04 PM
I'm the first to admit I've had my fair share of tickets. I learned from them. And my attitude has always been "I did it, so I deal with it."

D_flore
03-11-2008, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by Jay911
Well, canuckcarguy, I won't deny that I have drive above the posted speed limit in the past, and most likely will in the future. I've even had tickets for it. What I don't do is scour the ticket to look for ways to get out of paying (literally and figuratively) for my actions.

I know Calgary fairly well, as my job requires me to. A lot of the places that are signed to 60kph (and perhaps lower in some areas) are 4 or 5 lanes wide in each direction and could easily sustain traffic of 100kph or greater. I would rather see posted speeds adjusted to the point where they are set with the road and the drivers in mind instead of some arbitrary limit picked by an engineer 50 years ago. In my experience, most roads in Canada are signed to speeds in kph that they could &quot;handle&quot; in mph. That is, a road signed to 60kph could be safely traversed at 60mph, or 100kph.

Having said that, and getting back to the point of the OP, I'm saying that I know that 100 in a 60 in a lot of places in this city/province is not a truly dangerous situation, technically speaking, if you don't factor in other road users. I can't condone it, though, because of the other people that would be involved, like the drivers that are going slower, or pulling in/out of parking lots and side streets, pedestrians, wildlife, kids running out into the street after runaway toys, etc.

What really pisses me off about this kind of thread, though, is the asshat attitude taken by the people starting these threads, about how they're only hurting themselves if they mess up, and how they're so much better than all the other drivers and have superior equipment that can handle the situation. I have spent the last 17 years in fire/rescue in the Calgary area and have been to dozens of fatal motor vehicle collisions, many of which by people sporting the same attitude I describe above. In the area depicted in the Youtube video I posted alone, I've been to several fatal crashes and a number of others, including one where a belted-in passenger was rendered a quadriplegic because his drunk friend lost control on the curve and overcorrected, flipping the car 3 times. On that very same curve several years ago, a kid on a bike &quot;testing it out&quot; took the curve too fast and went into the ditch, eating 3 or 4 fence posts along the way. Despite his full-face helmet (and no leathers, but that's beside the point), his jaw was completely destroyed, and he was in full cardiac arrest. Two medics, another firefighter, and I, did CPR on the poor guy all the way into the Foothills Hospital from there - me trying to maintain a breathing passage with a face that had been turned to jello - but he was pronounced dead as soon as the trauma docs saw him. On the opposite corner of that curve, a few years later, a small SUV went out of control and flipped, striking an oncoming woman on a touring bike, who died at the scene. A couple years ago in Kananaskis, a guy on a sport bike in the middle of the night hit a deer hard enough to split it in two, and fractured both his wrists as he was thrown from the bike, landing face-down in a snow-and-water-filled ditch.

I really don't mean to be preachy or an asshole about things, but I see no benefit to fucking around on the roads and trying to get out of punishment for breaking the law. As I said, I agree that the law in some cases is too cautious or just outright wrong, but knowingly breaking it and then trying to get out of dealing with the consequences is not the way to go about getting that changed. Neither is calling a cop (or all cops) &quot;douchebags&quot; and giving them grief for catching you doing something wrong. I'd much rather a cop give someone a ticket for 100 in a 60 than let him go by because &quot;oh, he's on a bike, he can stop way better than any car&quot; and end up smearing a pedestrian all over 16th Avenue down the block. Lastly, and this may sound like laziness on my part, but I have no desire to pick up skull fragments and brain matter all the time off the highway. It gets old real quick, especially when you consider if people would pull their head out of their ass and focus on driving responsibly, it wouldn't happen so much.

I just want to clarify...

You make very good points. I may have sped I didnt look. I was focusing on how the bike was responding etc. I went up and down in the speed for a very short peroid of time and I made sure there were no other cars around. You cant asy you havnt done that with new vehicles or when on test drives etc..

What I was trying to explain with the bike being a better performace machine was that... when the speed limit for this road it was years and years ago when cars couldnt stop nearly as fast as today. Now a sport bike can stop alot faster than that and if i did hit a car after breaking as hard as i could to stop from say 100 I presume that it would not do alot of damage.. correct me if im wrong.

I do look out for the saftey of others. Im not some jackass who has no care for other people.

962 kid
03-11-2008, 04:05 PM
I do look out for the saftey of others. Im not some jackass who has no care for other people.

wat.

If you were so cautious and had checked around you for other cars and all that bullshit, how is it that the cop was able to follow you for 10 seconds to get your speed? Retard.

DayGlow
03-11-2008, 05:37 PM
o this thread was more about an ethical issue and the cop lieing.. o and i got some frustration out as well

before you make such bold statements I suggest you get disclosure and find out what his notes state. They should document how he measured your speed and all the details about the incident.

Going by a single checkbox on a ticket that does not make up the forms of charge of the ticket and concluding he is lying is a little short-sighted.

ZorroAMG
03-11-2008, 05:51 PM
SO, I'm confused was it the bike or the cop that was the raciest?

D_flore
03-11-2008, 07:00 PM
Originally posted by 962 kid

wat.

If you were so cautious and had checked around you for other cars and all that bullshit, how is it that the cop was able to follow you for 10 seconds to get your speed? Retard.

when somone is way behind u and u are accelerating its not really an issue genius. the cop said he had to speed up to catch me.. thats why i am curoious as to how he predicted my speed when he said he followed me

Maddog55
03-11-2008, 07:24 PM

I just want to clarify...
. I may have sped I didnt look. I was focusing on how the bike was responding etc.

Yeah go to court...use THAT in your opening statement of defense! :rolleyes:

Fucking tool. You were speeding You got a speeding ticket.....waaaaahhhhh. take it like a man and stop fucking whining about it

Jay911...you always make the most intelligent posts. Good advice, unfortunately it's all moot on this guy.

BlueGoblin
03-11-2008, 08:48 PM
Just to clarify - Alloroc I think pointed this out before but just to restate:

On the ticket, the word "clocked" refers to pacing, or matching the subject vehicle's speed with the police vehicle. It has nothing to do with an actual clock, watch or other timepiece.

A clock can still involve an estimation of speed; for instance if the pacing time was relatively brief, there may be an approximation of the speed. Even though it is not as specific as a laser speed measurement, it may still be perfectly valid in court.

Requesting disclosure on the matter may answer some of your questions. If you have further questions, you will be entitled to set a trial date in order to ask them.

It seems as though there was neither error or deceit by the issuing officer with regard to the ticking of the "clocked" box.

D_flore
03-11-2008, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by Maddog55

Yeah go to court...use THAT in your opening statement of defense! :rolleyes:

Fucking tool. You were speeding You got a speeding ticket.....waaaaahhhhh. take it like a man and stop fucking whining about it

Jay911...you always make the most intelligent posts. Good advice, unfortunately it's all moot on this guy.

its amazing how people read some text in a forum and think they understand the full context of the entire situation.

I simply wanted an answer to things i mentioned in the original post. This thread has become usless

Graham_A_M
03-11-2008, 09:46 PM
Jay911.

You sure said some interesting points. Thats why I wear full protection (meaning leathers, boots & gloves), and do not push myself whereas I'm not in complete control on the city streets.
Great post BTW:thumbsup:

300zxfairlday
03-11-2008, 09:48 PM
great another " i was being an idiot got a ticket but i blame the cop for doing his job"

BlueGoblin
03-11-2008, 09:52 PM
Popular internet forums are rarely great sources of advice. Believe it or not though, the least flaming on these ticket threads tend to occur to those who:

- Are honest about what they did without minimizing it
- Offer the mea culpa up front about doing it
- Ask a straightforward, technical question.
- Do not start off with accusations of lying, racism (however it is
spelled these days), harassment or unfairness, unless such a
thing is self evident.
- listen or at least acknowledge those who offer genuine advice.

You did not really do any of these things.

stevo 27
03-11-2008, 10:04 PM
Originally posted by Graham_A_M
Jay911.

You sure said some interesting points. Thats why I wear full protection (meaning leathers, boots &amp; gloves), and do not push myself whereas I'm not in complete control on the city streets.
Great post BTW:thumbsup:

dude don't you listen you don't need any of that stuff bikes these days are more balanced than before less likely to fall :rofl:
they stop faster and break your fall for you

t-shirt and shorts for the win

Antonito
03-11-2008, 10:12 PM
This thread has become usless

This would imply that this thread wasn't useless to start

BoS_DC2
03-11-2008, 10:31 PM
The OP imo seems like a complete tool, first he admits to speeding after he says he wasn't paying attention to the speedometer or that he was not speeding. Complete contradiction but seriously, this was your fault even though the cop "may" have lied that he clocked you but it doesn't change the fact that you still went over the speed limit and for that, you definately deserve the ticket.

So why don't you go to court, tell them that you were "testing" the bike on the road to make sure it was safe for your friend since he just got his license. Maybe the Judge will pity you and reduce your sentence or ticket amount.

You're such a good friend.

pruls
03-11-2008, 10:44 PM

What I was trying to explain was he wrote that he &quot;clocked me&quot; when he didnt

if you were speding your guilty

Maddog55
03-12-2008, 07:00 PM

its amazing how people read some text in a forum and think they understand the full context of the entire situation.

You're obviously the idiot that can't grasp the context of a thread.
Follow closely, Dflore...I'll type slowly;

You said,

I simply wanted an answer to things i mentioned in the original post.

And you received a perfectly good explanation/answer to that by Blue Goblin:

Originally posted by BlueGoblin

On the ticket, the word &quot;clocked&quot; refers to pacing, or matching the subject vehicle's speed with the police vehicle. It has nothing to do with an actual clock, watch or other timepiece.

A clock can still involve an estimation of speed; .

You started this thread and proceeded to argue , saying that you were NOT speeding...and then contradicted yourself by turning around and admitting that you WERE speeding but tried defending that with an explanation of WHY you were speeding...

THAT is when this thread became totally useless. So I'd suggest you try reading your threads a little more carefully...better yet...THINK before posting and throwing out slanderous accusations.

Maddog55
03-12-2008, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by BlueGoblin
Popular internet forums are rarely great sources of advice. Believe it or not though, the least flaming on these ticket threads tend to occur to those who:

- Are honest about what they did without minimizing it
- Offer the mea culpa up front about doing it
- Ask a straightforward, technical question.
- Do not start off with accusations of lying, racism (however it is
spelled these days), harassment or unfairness, unless such a
thing is self evident.
- listen or at least acknowledge those who offer genuine advice.

You did not really do any of these things.

^^ Brilliant!! :clap: That should be a "sticky" for rules for posting about tickets!!

ercchry
03-12-2008, 07:14 PM
Originally posted by stevo 27

dude don't you listen you don't need any of that stuff bikes these days are more balanced than before less likely to fall :rofl:
they stop faster and break your fall for you

t-shirt and shorts for the win

every time i see d_flore he has his leathers on.... and he has been riding for a while and has a pretty clean recond last i talked to him

and yeah dev just go fight it and they pretty much cut the fine in half just for showing up

D_flore
03-14-2008, 10:27 AM
yeah will do. and about the clocking with a speedometer. I talked to an officer the next day and she had told me that was with there laser and anything after that has to be an estimation

alloroc
03-14-2008, 11:55 AM
yeah will do. and about the clocking with a speedometer. I talked to an officer the next day and she had told me that was with there laser and anything after that has to be an estimation

FUCK!
STOP ARGUING!

That 'Clocked' box has been on tickets looooong before laser speed devices.
In fact it was there before kband even came out.

ESTIMATION
Estimation is to be checked when no instruments are used that measure time past a known landmark (ie distance between lightposts on a particular street). Law enforcement can still ticket you based on an estimation of how long it took you to get from one point to another.

CLOCKED
Clocked is used when instruments are used that can accurately measure time over a landmark distance. (stopwatch and roadmarks from an aerial view, pacing with a speedometer, distance vs time calculation from two clicks on a laser rangefinder - cop laser guns have clock built in and do this qutomatically, radar can also be considered a clocking device.

RADAR
Radar checkbox is now commonly used on speed camera devices but is also used for direct radar speed measurement.