PDA

View Full Version : bartending Courses?? best place?

trliniar
03-11-2008, 02:02 AM
I want to take a bar tending course sometime between may and August (once school ends), is there any top rated schools here in Calgary for bar tending? what is the best place?

JordanAndrew
03-11-2008, 03:13 AM
have you tried SAIT? I'm not sure when they offer the courses but they definitely have it. It was part of my program and I did it myself. ;)

ekguy
03-11-2008, 11:12 AM
how long is the course?

Supa Dexta
03-11-2008, 01:25 PM
2 yr diploma program

Hakkola
03-11-2008, 01:31 PM
LOL, they really have a 2 year diploma for bartending? :rofl:

Supa Dexta
03-11-2008, 01:35 PM
no, I just like to go around and amuse myself in threads..

:rofl:

ekguy
03-11-2008, 02:54 PM
seriously wow. I thought it would be something you can take in a couple months hehe. Woulda been nice. But yeah I bartend in a resto already. Not that hard with the amount of liquor we serve but working in a bar would of been decent.

SkittleFreak
03-11-2008, 03:03 PM
i heard once you can get yourbartending certificate with an online course :|

2002civic
03-11-2008, 03:56 PM
bartending courses are scams, if you wanna work at a club work your way up

legendboy
03-11-2008, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by 2002civic
bartending courses are scams, if you wanna work at a club work your way up

:werd: bartending course ain't gonna get you a job behind the bar, your still gonna be a bus boy :rofl:

'93 SR-V
03-11-2008, 04:21 PM
As mentioned SAIT has a course, but I wouldn't count on it landing you a job! What kind of place are you hoping to work at?

JordanAndrew
03-11-2008, 04:29 PM
haha it's not a 2 year program for sait, it's more of a couple of months type of course I believe. It was one of my classes since I took hotel and restaurant management and it was a semester long so like 3 months or so.

It might not land you a job right aways but you definitely will be learning more about liqour and not just by the name of the bottle.

78si
03-11-2008, 04:53 PM
You need boobs to bartend as a newbie, otherwise you have to start as a busboy.

Mazstyle
03-11-2008, 05:38 PM
^ that or be buddies with the owner type thing.

missjeni
03-12-2008, 12:16 AM
Originally posted by JordanAndrew
haha it's not a 2 year program for sait, it's more of a couple of months type of course I believe. It was one of my classes since I took hotel and restaurant management and it was a semester long so like 3 months or so.

It might not land you a job right aways but you definitely will be learning more about liqour and not just by the name of the bottle.

Whats the bartending class called?

drew_goring
03-12-2008, 12:35 PM
http://obyrne.sait.ca/saitApp/calendar/coned/courseContent.jsp?calendarType=coned&courseCode=BMIX-206&startTerm=000000

Isaiah
03-12-2008, 12:47 PM
As previously mentioned, no bar or restaurant is going to hire you behind the bar without previous experience. The course won't help you so if you decide to go ahead and take it, make sure you're doing for self-fulfillment purposes rather than expecting it to increase your job prospects.

BlkMaxima
03-12-2008, 01:24 PM
Fine Arts Bartending school.

trliniar
04-09-2008, 11:26 AM
Thanks for all the responses

I want to take the course for myself, and not to land a job. During the summer (which is coming up thank God!) i usually host some parties and would like to learn some new mixing techniques / ways / recipes

I found some info online but not sure which one to go with, any suggestions?
SAIT bartending course (http://www.sait.ca/pages/cometosait/continuingeducation/culinary/barmixology.shtml)

Fine Art Bartending (http://www.fineart.ca/calgary.htm)

Nexgen Bartending (http://www.zizzoo.com/guides/bartending/resources/other/calgary/index.php)

Does the SAIT course teach you things hands on as well mixing wise? do they have a bar in the class that you learn on?

anyone know anything about the other places?

Thanks in advance

kamatayan
04-10-2008, 04:43 PM
http://www.asip.ca

Online Course

Alberta Server Intervention Program

JAYMEZ
04-10-2008, 04:58 PM
Wow DO NOT take a course on bartending , jesus!!!

Just start somewhere simple that pours beers , and get your experience up.. also be slightly attractive (girl or guy) , so make sure you take care of yourself , no one wants to hire an average joe at Nightclubs or anything like that.

Just know your simple drinks and beers and then get outa there and do something.. Also if you want to bartend in a nightclub you have to work your way up. So go to any nightclub and apply to be a buser/BA and you will be a bartender soon enough (busers and BA's get tipped out , so they make good money!)

Take it from someone who has bartended and work in nightclubs :thumbsup:

EDIT: Didnt see your last post..

If you want to gain some knowledge , I actually recommened reading the Playboy Bartending Guide , it helped me alot.. Teachs about Wines and Partys ect ect.

As for learning , host a party and buy 3 sorts of alcohols and try and use them together... It can be alot of fun .. then the next party try something different...

Also you can get bar products like spouts and stuff from barproducts.com