PDA

View Full Version : CV Joints..

Jay7779
03-11-2008, 02:06 AM
So, it seems as though i need to replace my CV joints in my '93 nissan pathfinder, and i've got a few questions for you guys.

First off, any recomendations for a mechanic? Like the moron I am, I usually go to canadian tire mostly because they're really close to home, yet they seem like absolute morons (Actually I got my insurance inspection just over a week ago and nobody even mentioned my boots/joints, yet when I took a look at my boots the other day they're nearly non-exisitant).

Secondly, does anyone have a rough figure on how much it SHOULD cost?

and last but not least, if i dont have enough to cover both, which do you think i should replace first, and which has a better chance to hold out till next payday?

thanks in advance guys

ctruo
03-11-2008, 02:17 AM
Well its kinda late, but since i m up doing my stupid 15 page lit review, i thought it would be best to comment on this. I suggest that you do all the work at once, if you don't have enough money, hold off for awhile. Most likely if you get one part replaced, the older part will probably wear out the newer part. Plus you don't have to make 2 trips to bitch ass mechanics., they might also charge you additional labour fees for having to take of and put on your wheels twice!

ercchry
03-11-2008, 02:25 AM
do it yourself if you are broke/cheap

i dont know too much about pathfinders but i have taken out a few different halfshafts and cv joints and the most difficult part is getting the ball joint apart (not too bad in most cases just need a big hammer)

Jay7779
03-11-2008, 11:27 AM
So I got an oil change and a quote this morning, apparently its gonna cost about 975 to fix. Does that sound about right?

How long do you think i could drive on it before im gonna see some serious problems?

QuasarCav
03-11-2008, 11:32 AM
I got a axle changed at a mechanic because I did not feel like laying in the snow to change it. 100 for the part and about 60 for labor.

03-11-2008, 11:33 AM
Do it yourself, get a haynes manual, a free sat/sun, and a hammer.

They shouldnt be that hard to do

Reap
03-11-2008, 11:46 AM
pm'd

climer
03-11-2008, 12:21 PM
How do you know that your CV joints need replacing?

Are you hearing a clicking whenever you turn in a certain direction?

Jay7779
03-11-2008, 12:27 PM
Actually oddly enough, I was hearing the dreadful clunking for a week or so whenever i backed up and turned at the same time...but since I got my oil changed this morning, its stopped...As well as the intense vibrations at 80k+

I've been out four or five times with the radio off and the window open and all seems well...

Is there anything else that might have been going wrong that would cause those same syptoms, that a simple oil change (Keep in mind the oil was about as bad as it could possibly get)

climer
03-11-2008, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by Jay7779
Is there anything else that might have been going wrong that would cause those same syptoms, that a simple oil change (Keep in mind the oil was about as bad as it could possibly get)

I'm assuming they put your Pathfinder on a lift to change the oil?

Motor oil won't have any affect on your CV joints but taking the load off of the suspension may have "shifted" something into place.

Jay7779
03-12-2008, 08:44 PM
Hey. so still no noise or anything. Wierd.

But i talked to my step dad yesterday (It used to belong to him) and he said a while back he got the CV's looked at and the mechanic told him its nothing to worry about if its in 2 wheel drive (RWD). Is there any truth to this?

canuckcarguy
03-12-2008, 09:00 PM
Probably true, unless they actually break apart. My experience is that if you have a cracked boot, you should replace it asap, before the joint gets dirty and damaged, but if the joints are already pooched, it's not a big deal to wait. But are you sure that's the noise you were hearing? I'm wondering if you were hearing some other drivetrain noise, and when you went for an oil change, they greased the drivetrain and the noise went away? Like maybe u-joints?

sr20s14zenki
03-12-2008, 09:09 PM
Im looking at the manual right now, looks pretty simple. If you need a manual let me know. I have no use for it.

Nufy
03-12-2008, 10:22 PM
Remove the Auto hub Cover and everything to the nut and bearings holding the axle to the rotor.

Pop the top Ball Joint and let the rotor / brake assembly fall away. Support it so the brake line doesn't stretch.

It will still be connected by the lower BJ and the Tie rod.

You'll need a 12 or 13 mm 12 pt socket to remove the entire axle from the front diff.

I have one left over but you can et em at Sears for less than 20.00

Once you remove the 5 (I think) bolts from the diff you should have enough clearance to slide the axle shaft out of the rotor assembly and free from the vehicle.

Installation is the reverse of above.

I did both sides on my 95 pathy when I had it.

Not hard but a PITA none the less.

If this doesn't make sense Google Pathfinder CV replacement and you should come up with a few sites that have how-to instructions with pictures.

Good Luck.