PDA

View Full Version : Sub decision

Euro838
03-11-2008, 11:02 AM
Okay, if you wanted to add some bass to a factory system without drowning everything out, what would you add? Car would be a sedan of some sort.

I'm looking at the Alpine Type R subs but if someone can recommend something better, by all means.

1) 10" Type R sub with enclosure.
2) 10" Type R sub without enclosure i.e. mounted on back seats or something.
3) 12" Type R sub with enclosure
4) 12" Type R sub without enclosure.
5) one of the above configs but with 2 subs instead of 1.

97'Scort
03-11-2008, 02:11 PM
What is going to be your factory interface?

Option 1 is the easiest, and probably best option.

adam c
03-11-2008, 02:20 PM
i like phoenix gold a lot better then alpine

but thats my opinion

My current setup is
2 - 10" PG RSD10 Semi Comps
5.0:1 PG Octane R Amp
Bassworx Ported box
Monster 1 Farad Cap w/ Digital Volt Meter
Alpine Type R Wiring
Panasonic HU

Last time i had them tested, they hit 139.8 db, i'm sure I could hit higher with a different song and tweaking of the settings

JRSC00LUDE
03-11-2008, 02:27 PM
I had 10" JL's.....can't remember which one, but dual voice coil. They pounded nicely imo but I'm not a real audiophile.

I liked them until the sub-fairy came and took them back to the crack-house that they rightfully belonged to.

97'Scort
03-11-2008, 02:29 PM
Everybody loves different brands :) Me, I wouldn't touch Alpine subs simply because a) I don't personally like how they sound and b) everybody and their dog has them. I like Hertz, Focal, Rainbow, MB Quart and on and on. All of them have good options.

turbo4dr
03-11-2008, 02:31 PM
type R's all the way they are clean and sound great

(Plus I have a set for sale too if you want):clap:

Euro838
03-11-2008, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by adam c
i like phoenix gold a lot better then alpine

but thats my opinion

My current setup is
2 - 10" PG RSD10 Semi Comps
5.0:1 PG Octane R Amp
Bassworx Ported box
Monster 1 Farad Cap w/ Digital Volt Meter
Alpine Type R Wiring
Panasonic HU

Last time i had them tested, they hit 139.8 db, i'm sure I could hit higher with a different song and tweaking of the settings

Sounds like a killer setup but probably too much for what I am looking for. So I wanted to do option 1, would i need a farad cap? I've seen them but don't know what they are used for. I do have a PG amp that I was planning to use.

Euro838
03-11-2008, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by turbo4dr
type R's all the way they are clean and sound great

(Plus I have a set for sale too if you want):clap:

How much? :)

hoamic11
03-11-2008, 11:21 PM
pm'd

rc2002
03-12-2008, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
I had 10" JL's.....can't remember which one, but dual voice coil. They pounded nicely imo but I'm not a real audiophile.

I'm a fan of the JL's too. I went through 4 different JL subs.

It'll be tough not to drown out your factory speakers unless you get an 8" sub or a lower powered 10" sub.

modded46
03-12-2008, 10:25 AM
Anyone else use Focal?? I need a new setup for my SRT, currently using stock kickers and sounds pretty good but I'm more concerned about sound quality than how hard it pounds.. Opinions?

I'd be looking for a whole new system although I'll probably keep the Alpine Mono Amp (500watt) & Alpine MRP-F240 which I would like to make use of.. All other equipment speakers and head unit would be replaced.. :thumbsup:

hoamic11
03-12-2008, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by richardchan2002

I'm a fan of the JL's too. I went through 4 different JL subs.

It'll be tough not to drown out your factory speakers unless you get an 8" sub or a lower powered 10" sub.

JL stuff is good, I loved their amps, worked great with the setup I had. Their entry level subs would be good with less power, and still sound great.
I personally still want to get and try an 8W7

Originally posted by modded46
Anyone else use Focal?? I need a new setup for my SRT, currently using stock kickers and sounds pretty good but I'm more concerned about sound quality than how hard it pounds.. Opinions?

I'd be looking for a whole new system although I'll probably keep the Alpine Mono Amp (500watt) & Alpine MRP-F240 which I would like to make use of.. All other equipment speakers and head unit would be replaced.. :thumbsup:

Focal is awesome stuff too, I'm a big fan too, however, their just not wallet friendly to me. Focal's all about SQ, for sound their clean and crisp. It also has to do with the amount of power you supply to the speakers too.

BlkMaxima
03-12-2008, 11:41 AM
2x 12" DVC 4ohm Type R's matched with a MRD-M1000 series amp is very loud.

I had this setup twice now lol.

If your only looking to add a little Bass get a 10" kicker L5 or L7 Square sub. They are also good.

97'Scort
03-12-2008, 11:52 AM
I'm running Focal Polyglass all around (130V2 components, 130CV1 coaxials, 27V2 sub, FP 4.75 and 1.800 amps). I haven't heard the sub/amp combo in my car yet (still fiberglassing) but the rest is very satisfying.

I couldn't hear the difference between Polyglass and the K series speakers, and unless you're willing to sink another grand into a processor and another g into sound deadening, I don't think you would either.

Euro838
03-12-2008, 12:00 PM
Well, from the sounds of it, I'm going to be looking at my option 1 with a Type R 10" in an enclosure.

modded46
03-12-2008, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by 97'Scort
I'm running Focal Polyglass all around (130V2 components, 130CV1 coaxials, 27V2 sub, FP 4.75 and 1.800 amps). I haven't heard the sub/amp combo in my car yet (still fiberglassing) but the rest is very satisfying.

I couldn't hear the difference between Polyglass and the K series speakers, and unless you're willing to sink another grand into a processor and another g into sound deadening, I don't think you would either.

Are polyglass the entry level for Focal?

Euro838
03-12-2008, 12:15 PM
So I have another question for those who have designed and installed their custom systems. If you given a choice to have the factory installed higher end system i.e. Bose, Infinity, HK, etc. in the car, would you have been happy with that and not go through all the customization with aftermarket stuff?

For arguments sake, let's say you wouldn't be installing much of this stuff yourself and would have a place install it for you, is the value there? I figure with factory systems, there has been some engineering done to ensure the components work and sound well together whereas aftermarket, you have to do the research and pick and choose the parts yourself.

Also, on most cars, factory higher end systems will come with 8+ speakers so if you opted out, it's usually 4 or 6 speakers, therefore if you wanted a separate component system, you'd have to make the speaker housings and wiring yourself.

So I guess the question is, if you could add the upgraded system for like $2000-$2500 (I know you usually have to go to the next trim level for something like this so that is also a consideration since some of the options in the higher packages may not be needed or wanted by the buyer), is it better to just add it at the factory level or take that money upgrade the stereo system yourself?

Opinions?

hoamic11
03-12-2008, 12:19 PM

Are polyglass the entry level for Focal?

No, polyglass is the 2nd/next level

Access is the entry level
When i last checked it was Access/Polyglass/Polykevlar/Utopia

97'Scort
03-12-2008, 12:57 PM
^ Correct. However, there are levels inside the different main levels as well. Mainly, it's a different tweeter and crossover, or mounting depth.

Euro838: I have heard plenty of factory systems that sound good (the one in my dad's MX-5 is pretty nice) but you can always improve. Some vehicles do not lend themselves well to an upgrade, and some "upgrade packages" are bull. The HK system on the E46 BMW's was complete garbage. However, if all you're doing is replacing speakers and not adding an amp, then you won't gain much, if anything, over a factory system.

If it were me, I'd take $2500 and upgrade the speakers and amps myself. You have to remember that you'll start sacrificing space for this too, which can't always happen for some people.

TaiChino
03-12-2008, 01:20 PM
Some ppl prefer the sound of a type s over the type r. You should hear what they sound like, could save yourself some money.

Euro838
03-12-2008, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by 97'Scort
[BEuro838: I have heard plenty of factory systems that sound good (the one in my dad's MX-5 is pretty nice) but you can always improve. Some vehicles do not lend themselves well to an upgrade, and some "upgrade packages" are bull. The HK system on the E46 BMW's was complete garbage. However, if all you're doing is replacing speakers and not adding an amp, then you won't gain much, if anything, over a factory system.

If it were me, I'd take $2500 and upgrade the speakers and amps myself. You have to remember that you'll start sacrificing space for this too, which can't always happen for some people. [/B]

Well, that's exactly it, and I guess it would depend on the car and the system so for example, if you were looking to get an E46 BMW, would you prefer one with the HK system and then upgrade some components later or get one with the basic system and do a more extensive upgrade?

97'Scort
03-12-2008, 02:37 PM
For the E46, I would opt for the basic system and do the upgrade myself. But, for example, the 7 series, I wouldn't touch a sound system in one of those. It sounds pretty good, but the crossovers are all digital and it's a royal pain in the ass to replicate on aftermarket gear.