PDA

View Full Version : Any lawyers in here?

Kloubek
03-11-2008, 03:47 PM
Quick lowdown: I brought a car up here from the USA and the importation company is reluctant to compensate me for $4600 of damage that was incurred during shipping. I have pictures and everything, but they still want to try bending me over a table.

There is a ton more to this story, but I don't want to bore anyone with the details.

Bottom line: Are there any lawyers on here who would be willing to help me out with a threatening letter? If it DOES go to court, I may also require representation.

Thanks!

Toms-SC
03-11-2008, 04:04 PM
Calling it now, SeaRail

Weapon_R
03-11-2008, 04:22 PM
Searail makes their customers sign a waiver releasing them from liability unless the vehicle is a total loss. When the vehicle is a total loss, they will compensate you for up to $10k

I'm not sure what company you used, but did you sign a release?

Kloubek
03-11-2008, 06:35 PM
Lol... that's funny how you guys both expect it to be a certain company. Note to self: Never use Searail! :)

No, I signed nothing to release them from damages. But they tried:

When the car was delivered, they have a spot for you to sign, and the statement above it COMBINES the "I have received this item" along with "this item is in good condition, and I release the company of any further requirements". (Paraphrased, of course.)

So I crossed out the "good condition"part, signed my initials, signed the main signature spot, and wrote the details below. Nice try on their part anyway...

So what - nobody here has a law degree and is willing to donate 20 minutes of his/her time for a fellow Beyonder?

Dj_Stylz
03-11-2008, 06:46 PM
Give some time man you just posted this thread 3 hours ago..

Team_Mclaren
03-11-2008, 06:49 PM
donate? dont lawyers charge 100+/hour for consultation?

Kloubek
03-11-2008, 06:58 PM
Lol DJ. I always dart in here at work - thought I put the request in this morning. :)

Mclaren: Yes, lawyers get paid a mint. That's why it would be a donation.

Weapon_R
03-11-2008, 07:06 PM
Originally posted by Team_Mclaren
dont lawyers charge 100+/hour for consultation?

only the shitty ones

2002civic
03-11-2008, 07:41 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R

only the shitty ones
lol no shit