PDA

View Full Version : King & I Restaurant

accordboi_02
08-06-2003, 09:25 AM
Hey guys, I want to take my g/f to a really nice restaurant, $$$ is no object; some old classmates of mine reccomended the King & I Restaurant downtown; said it's really good Thai cuisine.
Anyone have any experience there?
Or any other good suggestions as to where to go?
I considered Stage West as well, but I bought her a day at the spa, so we'd be too late for dinner there.
Thanks guys!!!

Superesc
08-06-2003, 09:28 AM
Love the food there!

spyderman
08-06-2003, 09:30 AM
One of the best thai restaurants in my opinion.

G
08-06-2003, 09:34 AM
If you want to impress her with your bling take her to Teatros beside the Hyatt.

speedracer
08-06-2003, 09:35 AM
Great restaurant and service :thumbsup:
*cough* great ice cream served too *cough* :D

Teatros - Isn't special - Just expensive food like "the catch"

G
08-06-2003, 09:36 AM
Or the Owl's Nest

LUDELVR
08-06-2003, 09:39 AM
I was there....at least I think that was the place. It's pretty dimly lit so if she's beat, you wont notice too much. I think that's the place where jackie chan and owne wilson went when they filimed shanghai noon isn't it? I think they have pics on there wall there. The food was pretty good though. Nice atmosphere. :thumbsup: And damn you guys with your shameless advertisements!! hahahaha

Melinda
08-06-2003, 09:48 AM
A day at the spa and fancy dinner? Whats the occasion?

legendboy
08-06-2003, 10:09 AM
Mescaleros on 1st is nice, I try to eat there at least a coupe times a year.

91_Integz
08-06-2003, 11:00 AM
la cai on the bow (sp?) is nice and if you like steak, nothing beats Caeser's SteakHouse. :drool:

Ben
08-06-2003, 11:03 AM
Hey Ryan, I think you will be very satisfied with the service and Quality at King & I...As mentioned above, The Owls Nest is very nice too! Either of those you cannot go wrong.

accordboi_02
08-06-2003, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by Melinda
A day at the spa and fancy dinner? Whats the occasion?

Actually, I'm just doing it b/c she's been SUPER stressed the past couple weeks, and I feel she needs a day to relax and be pampered. :)

Toms-Celica
08-06-2003, 11:20 AM
Teatros
Be prepared for $20 a glass of wine

Ben
08-06-2003, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by Toms-Celica
Teatros
Be prepared for $20 a glass of wine

Yeh, made that mistake bringing a friend whom has a very good taste in wine, she drank 5 glasses of a nice Savignion...bill was 150 and we just had lunch....and I had a Caesar. :banghead:

Maybe thats why I'm so poor.

Toms-Celica
08-06-2003, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by Ben

Yeh, made that mistake bringing a friend whom has a very good taste in wine, she drank 5 glasses of a nice Savignion...bill was 150 and we just had lunch....and I had a Caesar. :banghead:

Maybe thats why I'm so poor.

But was it worth it?

;)

Food, cars and woman make life worth living

Ben
08-06-2003, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by Toms-Celica

But was it worth it?

;)

Food, cars and woman make life worth living

She had 'FIVE' glasses ;)

jdmakkord
08-06-2003, 11:31 AM
Try the sultans tent, or even open sesame. Great atmosphere.

Toms-Celica
08-06-2003, 11:31 AM
hahahaha, ok ok you win

Dope Dealer
08-06-2003, 11:35 AM
Open Sesame is a nice place. Don't care to much for the food, not really into it. But it has a really nice atmosphere. When I went, I got a little private room overlooking the restaurant. It was nice :)

BebeAphrodite
08-06-2003, 06:28 PM
Fuck, I hate the Caille on the Bow!!!
:guns:

In all of the restaurants I have been to I have NEVER EVER received the same kind of treatment I've received there before. The bitch had the audacity to give me the hand (talk to the hand, not to the face) when I asked for change. The service was shit.. ate three tasteless shrimps (for $18) and also a bunch of other things.. none of which were impressive. Then the $75 bill came. We only had $20 bills and wanted to leave $90 - even though the waitress was a bitch. So I tried to break one of the $20s and the waitress said "pshhhh", gave me the hand, and walked off.
I was so pissed off, I took back the $20 (so we left $80) then grabbed my ex bf by the hand and stormed out of there... so fast (the whole stomping and shit) I have never been so disrespected in my life!!!

The King and I is 'westernized' Thai food... the spicy isn't spicy. My favorite Thai dish isn't even on there (flaming game hen!!!). It's okay there tho...

As for good restaurants, try La Chaumiere (Chateau Briand mmMMmm), Latin Corner, Mamas on 16th, Sopranos... OooOO.. so many good places. Umm.. Belvedere is a nice place to chill.. Rococos is beautiful (if it's still open)... MmmMM all this talk of food is making me hungry!

Originally posted by 91_Integz
la cai on the bow (sp?) is nice and if you like steak, nothing beats Caeser's SteakHouse. :drool: :guns:

Melinda
08-06-2003, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by accordboi_02

Actually, I'm just doing it b/c she's been SUPER stressed the past couple weeks, and I feel she needs a day to relax and be pampered. :)

Aww thats sweet of you :)

Originally posted by CuteAsianAngel
As for good restaurants, try La Chaumiere (Chateau Briand mmMMmm), Latin Corner, Mamas on 16th, Sopranos... OooOO.. so many good places.

Latin corner is awesome food, and a very nice atmosphere...just moved to 4th street if i'm not mistaken :)

szw
08-06-2003, 09:41 PM
Why not peking peking?

Davetronz
08-06-2003, 11:40 PM
I have heard awesome things about the Rococo, maybe check that out.

gkAeris
08-06-2003, 11:46 PM
i didnt really like the king and i maybe becasue we didnt' know what to order but we order a bit of everything appetz soup and meals but everyoen was gross to me...and over price......i dont realy think it's were u take them it's who ur with.......

but for my suggestion...maybe try the chocigo (i'm a fob) chop house.....i heard it's really good, i liked TEATROS, it's like an upper class acquired taste tho and expensive

girlRACER
08-07-2003, 12:55 AM
:thumbsdown: King and I sucks!! There isn't a single Thai restaurant in Calgary that tastes authentic like it does in Thailand. Closest I've ever ate and by a mile is Chili Club Thai House. It's on 12th Ave and 1st st (near the keg and mac's)

BebeAphrodite
08-07-2003, 04:56 AM
Originally posted by FastDak318
I have heard awesome things about the Rococo, maybe check that out.

I'm not sure if it's closed anymore.. If you heard awesome things I don't think it would have been about food since like most of the places on Stephen Avenue, they are either mediocre or bland tasting - always gorgeous looking but expensive dishes. ha ha ha, what a long sentence. When I said it's beautiful, I have to say it's the nicest looking restaurant I've been to in Calgary - and I love eating out!

BigMass
08-07-2003, 09:42 AM
Edo has some fine Japanese cuisine. I recommend combo #4 sumo sized.

D'z Nutz
08-07-2003, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by girlRACER
:thumbsdown: King and I sucks!! There isn't a single Thai restaurant in Calgary that tastes authentic like it does in Thailand. Closest I've ever ate and by a mile is Chili Club Thai House. It's on 12th Ave and 1st st (near the keg and mac's)

Have you tried Thai Boat on 32nd across from Joey's Tomato? The cook there is from Thailand and hasn't even been in this country long (he doesn't even speak very much english). You're not gonna get very much more "authentic" than that. It's damn good food there, but the portions are a little small.

Originally posted by BigMass
Edo has some fine Japanese cuisine. I recommend combo #4 sumo sized.

:rofl: A lot of these Edo type places they have in the malls aren't even run by Japanese people!!

Kona9
08-07-2003, 10:08 AM
hahahahaha @big mass

Redlyne_mr2
08-07-2003, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by CuteAsianAngel

As for good restaurants, try La Chaumiere (Chateau Briand mmMMmm), Latin Corner, Mamas on 16th, Sopranos... OooOO.. so many good places. Umm.. Belvedere is a nice place to chill..

Belvedere has a cool atmosphere but the food sucks if you arent a steak or pork eater. Eating at La chaumiere feels like you're at a wedding reception not very comfortable some of their food is awesome but alot of it I found to be quite taste less especially since its supposed to be french cuisine .Jojo's (I think thats what its called)on 17th has much better french food...too get back on topic I dont know how you guys can stand thai food haha it destroys me

sml
08-07-2003, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by LUDELVR
I was there....at least I think that was the place. It's pretty dimly lit so if she's beat, you wont notice too much. I think that's the place where jackie chan and owne wilson went when they filimed shanghai noon isn't it? I think they have pics on there wall there. The food was pretty good though. Nice atmosphere. :thumbsup: And damn you guys with your shameless advertisements!! hahahaha

Wasn't that Thai Sa-On... That's the best thai food in town, IMO. King&I have good service, ok food, but bling bling price tag... at least THai Sa-On has down to earth prices...

GTS Jeff
08-07-2003, 11:31 AM
hmm the king and i in edmonton wasnt too good. the food was whitewashed and overpriced for sure. i had a $70 dinner there im sure i could have found something nicer for $70. it was like eating at your typical chinese restaurant designed for the white man.

girlRACER
08-07-2003, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by D'z Nutz

Have you tried Thai Boat on 32nd across from Joey's Tomato? The cook there is from Thailand and hasn't even been in this country long (he doesn't even speak very much english). You're not gonna get very much more "authentic" than that. It's damn good food there, but the portions are a little small.

Yes I've been there twice. I still don't think there's anyplace in Calgary that's anywhere near as good as the food in Thailand...just like there's no place in Calgary that can compare to the food in HK. One factor definitely has to do with the spices In Thailand. There they use tons of fresh spices to prepare one dish whereas in Calgary perhaps those spices aren't available because they definitely don't use them. The dishes tastes much blander and definitely not as hot.

Just look at their Tom Yum Gong. In Thailand they serve it to you in a boiling pot over a flame and it's covered in spices. Here, it is so weak just like broth with a few mushrooms.

rice_eater
08-07-2003, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by G
If you want to impress her with your bling take her to Teatros beside the Hyatt.

i went there once...$45 for a steak :eek: At least i got some good ass after :D I would take her to DaGuido on center street and 20th N...WOW do they have some amazing italian food there, and i dont mean only pasta and shit....Very nice place and not retarded;y expensive...

Impreza
08-09-2003, 05:12 PM
try carver's steakhouse on 32nd in the sheraton hotel. u wont be disappointed! great food great service, best steak in town!

BebeAphrodite
08-09-2003, 11:36 PM
I think Hys has the best steak in town, he he he