PDA

View Full Version : Indiglo Gauges....

ancient
08-03-2002, 02:15 PM
Im thinking of buying some white gauge faces for my lude (93 SRV)... Now I've been lookin on ebay and all the ones I see are in MPH... This is fine, Im not worried about it being MPH... Just the fact will my speedo read correclty if I swap the face? Since its just a indiglo face plate that goes inplace of the previous dull black one.... The same needles are used and are probably still calibrated for KM/H.....

Or are the faces calibrated to work on any needles and are spaced properly that whatever the needle reads its reading the right Speed?

I hope this makes sense.....

Thanks in advance.

B18C
08-03-2002, 02:55 PM
My logic tells me it will read the same (correctly). On your current gauges they have km/hr in big font and mph in smaller font. All these new gauges will do is switch the two (or replace the km/hr big font with mph). Does that make any sense?

Let's try it this way...

if you are going 100km/hr. Your current speedo will read 100km/hr in big writing and 60mph in small writing. all you are doing when you get american gauges is that it will replace the big 100km/hr with 60mph. Nothing else changes.

That's they way I see it anyways. :dunno:

ancient
08-03-2002, 02:59 PM
This is what I am hopping for.... all tho im getting some mixed reports of this... I am skeptical on whether it'll work or not, I would assume they make their gauges that way.

B18C
08-03-2002, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by ancient
This is what I am hopping for.... all tho im getting some mixed reports of this... I am skeptical on whether it'll work or not, I would assume they make their gauges that way.

It HAS to be the way they make their gauges or else they would read wrong even if your stock gauges read in mph.

That is unless the stock US gauges are calibrated differently... :confused:

three.eighteen.
08-03-2002, 03:34 PM
uhh give tbk49 a pm, his civic was from US, he tried to swap in a canadian dash i think...that didnt work...dont know if he just tried the guagefaces

ancient
08-03-2002, 03:45 PM
Cool thanks

5.9 R/T
08-03-2002, 04:45 PM
If it's just the face or skin of the gauges then you won't have any problems because they're just numbers on some plastic that have nothing to do with the actual operation of your gauges. You could write FUCK YOU in a big arc to replace your current gauge numbers and it wouldn't do anything.

ancient
08-03-2002, 04:51 PM
Ya I know but I want it to read properly, as in read the actual speed Im going.

5.9 R/T
08-03-2002, 05:00 PM
That's the thing, mph converts into km/h in canada, and km/h converts to mph in the states. Believe it or not there's no difference between how an american car or a canadian car are speed calibrated. You've seen mecury thermometers before right? It's the same setup like that, at 100F it's ~38 or so C, while at 102km/h it's 60mph. It never changes, never deviates, it's always the same ratio. So it has to work.