PDA

View Full Version : Deck Install Quarrel.

Ben
08-06-2003, 11:28 AM
Okay then, So I havent had music in my ride since I bought the thing.

Wanted to install my deck last weekend but couldn't figure out whats wrong with it.

I located the power and ground wire, but the deck will not turn on when I pit the keys in and turn it to accessory mode. I can turn the deck on manually but it just shuts off 3 seconds later.

what wires are required to run a deck?

There is an "Illumination" wire on the weck, as well as some wire called "Accessory"

What do these hook up to because there are no other wires in the dash to hook them up to (comming out of the dash I have a Power Wire, Ground, and the wires for the speakers, none other.)

Any suggestions?

jdmakkord
08-06-2003, 11:29 AM
hmmm If I get a chance this weekend, I'll fix it up for you Ben.

Ben
08-06-2003, 11:31 AM
What do you think they'll want for cost to figure it out at AC?

t"raver1"smith
08-06-2003, 11:38 AM
accesory is your constant power, for clock memory etc. you need that as well as constant power and your speaker wires and that should be it.

boi-alien
08-06-2003, 11:39 AM
you need the constant 12v source, the igntion on 12v source, the ground and your speakers... i think

civiclvr
08-06-2003, 03:00 PM
boi is right 3 wires just to run it. others are speakers... have them backwards? fuse on deck ok?

Seanith
08-06-2003, 06:12 PM
yeah accesory is just for when the key is turned once to the right and you have power to the car, but the ignition has not been started.

ninspeed
08-06-2003, 06:42 PM
red-ignition power (probally the wire thats allready there)
Yellow- Constant, you will probally have to run a wire straight to the postive terminal on your battery
Black - ground

with my sony, if there is no constant, it does a simmilar thing
Illumination (orange?) if ya got a interior light some where with in easy reach that dims when you turn the lights on, hook it up to that. it will let the decks dimmer know to turn it down a little

Ben
08-06-2003, 07:11 PM
Yeah, my illumination cable is Orange. But as I stated earlier, I only have 2 wires to connect, and I think the one thats missing is the ignition one, because thats the one that isn't connected to anything. The Yello is connected and the black is connected.

Whats a good thing to run the red wire to?

ninspeed
08-06-2003, 07:16 PM
The wire you have the yellow connected to, does it have power on at all times (when the car is off?)

Ben
08-06-2003, 07:17 PM
yes

ninspeed
08-06-2003, 07:19 PM
find something that allways turns on when the car is on around that area

i have never seen a car that has a constant and not a ing switched wire

Ben
08-06-2003, 07:24 PM
oh I'm sure it had one butr was removed in the motor/electrical swap. My Jetta had one and it was older and shittier.

I'll dig around for something.

Weapon_R
08-06-2003, 08:52 PM
I used to have one without an ignition wire.

You will have to give up one of two things:

1) If you decide to hook it up to a constant 12v, the deck will not turn off when you shut your car off. This can prove to be inconvenient.

2) If you hook up to an ignition wire, any settings that you have (ie radio, clock) will reset when you start up again.

Personally, #1 is the lesser of the two evils. Depending on what you decide, it's pretty easy to hook the rest up.

Ben
08-06-2003, 09:03 PM
How the Hell is # 1 better than #2. I dont know about you, but I dont feel like getting a BOOST every morning.
There has to be a way to make it work.

ninspeed
08-06-2003, 09:35 PM
running lights? old cig lighter? any of these on your car?

Ben
08-06-2003, 09:55 PM
No daytime running lights and the cig lighter works no matter whether the car is on or not.

cocoabrova
08-06-2003, 10:20 PM
MKII Veedubs came that way from the factory I think, meaning the deck has constant power to it and no acc. wire. You'll have to run a wire from the fusebox (or another switched source i.e. h/l's, or heater fan switch) with an inline fuse, in order to get it wired up to the ignition/acc. Otherwise just remember to turn it off when you leave the car:rofl:

szw
08-06-2003, 10:20 PM
dome light? Does your car have a fuse box? That's an easy place to test a bunch of different wires quickly.

Weapon_R
08-06-2003, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by Ben
How the Hell is # 1 better than #2. I dont know about you, but I dont feel like getting a BOOST every morning.
There has to be a way to make it work.

lol I dont know what decks you've had, but most made in the past 3-5 years have detachable faceplates, which disconnects power, and if not, they all have a power button.

szw
08-06-2003, 11:28 PM
oh yea, try searcing some installer sites for wiring diagrms, there should be a bunch of wires you could use. hell you could tap into your fuel pump wire if you really wanted to.

12V
08-07-2003, 12:34 AM
just get a test light,

civiclvr
08-07-2003, 01:46 AM
lol horn works with the car on or off!! run the constant to the horn/dome light fuse(yellow, battery terminal works fine too but then you might have to install an inline fuse yourself ), black to ground (of course) and switchedd (red) to something that turns on (should be a radio fuse if not check your car manual to find out which fuse controls the radio!..... voila! should be up and running!

Ben
08-29-2003, 10:46 PM
Fixed it!

I Now have music for the first time in my car since I bought it!