PDA

View Full Version : DVD Head Units

sgouki
03-12-2008, 10:37 PM
Hey there. I'm in the market for a dvd head unit and have narrowed my choices down to a few high end choices. One of the few main concerns I have is on the Ipod connect ability. I need some peoples inputs on the speeds and user friendliness of these connection.
I would like the head unit to move as fast and as convenient as it is on a ipod.

Any input would greatly help.

My choices are
Kenwood KVT-819DVD (Too much going on in the front)
http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Product/Item/Main.aspx?showAll=N&g=168550&i=113819DVD&tp=75&tab=review
Alpine IVA-D310 (Simple but lack of gloss)
http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Product/Item/Main.aspx?o=m&showAll=N&g=168550&i=500IVAD310&tp=75
Pioneer P5900DVD (Best looking)
http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Product/Item/Main.aspx?showAll=N&g=168550&i=130AVHP590&tp=75
I'm kind of turned off from the pioneer because of an extensive review http://geextreme.com/?p=21 that discussed how poorly designed the ipod connect is.

The other two units (kenwood and alpine) I couldn't find any reviews for but the kenwood advertises fast ipod connect of 12 Mbps which I assume is fast.

97'Scort
03-13-2008, 09:58 AM
The Alpine is hands down the best. Kenwood and "high-end" shouldn't even be in the same paragraph. The Pioneer works well (and I'm a huge Pioneer fan) but it can't match the Alpine in this case.

sgouki
03-13-2008, 11:26 AM
I don't know how I missed it but the ALPINE IVA-D105 is among another choice. Essentially it has everything the Kenwood has but is half an inch smaller screen wise.

Does anybody have experience with the "full speed" ipod connect for the alpine vs kenwoods 12 Mbps ipod connect?

And perhaps the advantage of having the head unit separate from the main connections.

03-13-2008, 11:33 AM
The only company to have paid apple for the rights to have iPod compatibility is Alpine, meaning there is support, and the connectivity is almost flawless.

I went from a kenwood kvt-717dvd w/ipod (absolute garbage) to an alpine cda-9886 w/ ipod (downgrade from a screen)

and the alpine is magic with an ipod (fullspeed connection using the 422i cable)

Hands down if you want it mainly for ipod, go with alpine.

03-13-2008, 11:34 AM
having the headunit seperate from the "brain" is gay. you have to have that shit under your seat or somewhere in your car, just more wires to run and a pain in the ass.

ScCab
03-13-2008, 11:38 AM
I have a used Alpine IVA-D310 with ipod connector and nav, dvd player.

pm me if you are interested

BlkMaxima
03-13-2008, 11:46 AM
Alpine = :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Pioneer = :thumbsup:
Kenwood = :thumbsdow

Eclipse is really good too.

sgouki
03-13-2008, 11:56 AM
Thanks for the input guys. Especially that tidbit bout the rights with apple there 410440. I just had a chance to watch the clip on the alpine site too and they demonstrate the speed of the full speed.

I'm a alpine/pioneer guy myself and I absolutely love the design of the pioneer. It's simple and beautiful. I just wish it had alpines speed.

I thought having the brain separate was gay too. Especially since all my connections were going to be placed in the glove box.

I was only really turned off by alpine because I thought the D310 was their latest (which lacked mp3, wma and divx playback from a dvd)
The only drawback with the 106 I see right now is the ability to play videos from the ipod videos.

I'm pretty set on the Alpine right now. Can you guys suggest a retailer which has the unit so I can check it out in person?

Eride
03-13-2008, 11:57 AM
I have a Clarion 675vd and the I-pod interface is really good. Got rid of my Pioneer because it sucked so much to use with the i-pod.

97'Scort
03-13-2008, 12:02 PM
Another bonus with the Alpine is you get your album covers appearing on the screen from the iPod. Looks pretty neat.

03-13-2008, 12:03 PM
Alpine is where its at for iPod integration right now.

nothing comes close.

sgouki
03-13-2008, 12:21 PM
I think I'll pop down to visions to see if they got one, just to test out. Is it hard installing a dvd head unit?
I currently have CQ-C7105 from panasonic. Will it be as easy as matching colors lol?
Or is this a job where I should really go and grab a tech?

03-13-2008, 12:23 PM
Best Buy now carries alpine as well just FYI.

97'Scort
03-13-2008, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by sgouki
I think I'll pop down to visions to see if they got one, just to test out. Is it hard installing a dvd head unit?
I currently have CQ-C7105 from panasonic. Will it be as easy as matching colors lol?
Or is this a job where I should really go and grab a tech?

If you have a soldering iron, some heat shrink and half an hour, you should be able to get it all in. Just like installing a normal deck, only you HAVE TO ATTACH THE ORANGE SAFETY WIRE TO GROUND. Otherwise, display turns off when you're driving :). It's not a dimmer wire!

MackDawg
03-13-2008, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by 410440
Best Buy now carries alpine as well just FYI.

Best Buy< Visions

go to the south Visions on Mcleod trail best place for car audio

BlkMaxima
03-13-2008, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by MackDawg

Best Buy&lt; Visions

go to the south Visions on Mcleod trail best place for car audio

Not true, They were very good when Sean worked there but since then it's gone to the shitter.

My friend was getting a Pioneer nav deck installed, was supposed to have custom trim pieces and all. When he got the car back I noticed it smelt alot like electrical tape. Turns out the whole install was done with tape lol.

He ended up returning the whole set up with no problems.

I will continue to buy electronics from them, but will never again have anything installed there. Just do it yourself and save yourself a headache.

sgouki
03-13-2008, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by 97'Scort

If you have a soldering iron, some heat shrink and half an hour, you should be able to get it all in. Just like installing a normal deck, only you HAVE TO ATTACH THE ORANGE SAFETY WIRE TO GROUND. Otherwise, display turns off when you're driving :). It's not a dimmer wire!

Thanks for the heads up. I'll probably take a look at the wiring and all before I decide to tackle it or get a pro. I went down to Visions and Bestbuy before work. Visions didn't have it and Bestbuy did and I got a chance to play with it a bit. I wanted to see how it behaves with the usb and the ipod wire hooked on but the guy said that they would have to take the unit out to do it.
Its a nice unit thats for sure.

97'Scort
03-13-2008, 11:54 PM
FYI, Visions and Bestbuy will wire it so that the screen will not work unless the e-brake is pulled up (they have to, it's illegal not to). So you're better off installing yourself or getting somebody off the board here to do it for you so that it works all the time.

anhsicun
03-14-2008, 05:08 AM
thier a switch u can get them to install .. that wat i have in my car got it done at vision by signal hill

sgouki
03-14-2008, 11:29 PM
I was actually looking into those overides. I would expect them to follow the rules as they can probably get into some serious trouble if they didn't. I was just really wondering if installing this unit is any different from installing a standard single din deck

97'Scort
03-16-2008, 01:39 AM
Other than the safety wire, nope. Exactly the same.

heinz256
03-16-2008, 08:29 AM
If you're still having problems, I'm pretty sure wrxer1 on here can give you a hand. Very knowledgeable guy with this kind of stuff.

sgouki
03-16-2008, 12:09 PM
Thanks guys. I'll let you all know when I get my deck and begin the install.

Thanks for all your input. Without it, I would've went with kenwood.

futurecivic
03-16-2008, 12:30 PM
us at visions can override the safety ebrake futureshop and bestbuy dont do it at all and for alpine you dont need switche sit just a pian in the ass we carry a mod that does it automaticlly as soon as you turn the car on

97'Scort
03-16-2008, 06:18 PM
^ Just solder the safety wire to the black ground wire in the harness. How hard is that?

300zxfairlday
03-16-2008, 06:23 PM
:nut:

Euro838
03-17-2008, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by 97'Scort
^ Just solder the safety wire to the black ground wire in the harness. How hard is that?

Cool, is that all you have to do? I just installed a DVD deck (Clarion) in my car and was just about to ask what do I hook up the e-brake wire to enable DVD viewing all the time.

So I just connect this wire to the black ground wire? Thanks.

97'Scort
03-19-2008, 09:57 AM
Ok, I need to correct myself.

Clarion, JVC, you should be fine with the ground wire fix.

Alpine and Pioneer 2006 and newer DVD decks WILL need the bypass module, as they look for an actual sequence involving the brake PEDAL as well. The module mimics that sequence. Easy install, you just need the box.

Pioneer HU's with NAV cannot be bypassed as they can actually see the car is moving and will disable movie display.

Sorry for the confusion, I'm used to wiring the older decks I suppose :nut:

03-25-2008, 10:52 AM
i have seen many a screen bypassed at BBY/FS, they will do it if the customer isnt a fucking idiot.

analbumcover
03-25-2008, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by 410440
i have seen many a screen bypassed at BBY/FS, they will do it if the customer isnt a fucking idiot.

^^

this guy knows what hes talkin about

he bypassed my avic-z2 no problem, very clean install too!

thanks mang

futurecivic
03-25-2008, 07:25 PM
i know 2 installers who have gotten fired from futureshop for bypassing the e-barke wire on decks

and another note navigation decks can also be bypassed if you know what your doing

03-25-2008, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by futurecivic
i know 2 installers who have gotten fired from futureshop for bypassing the e-barke wire on decks

and another note navigation decks can also be bypassed if you know what your doing

Getting fired from FS/BBY is like getting fired from Mcdonalds, who gives a fuck. If your a good installer you will be working the day after at Visions/Auto temp/etc.

Its funny because i have been asked by district managers to bypass their buddys systems... I keep records of that kinda shit though. :thumbsup: