PDA

View Full Version : Hit and Run

ITGirl
03-13-2008, 09:21 AM
Hey all - i got hit last Saturday on McCleod and 42nd Ave in the south. I was travelling across the intersection on a green when a black sedan oblivious to her red light slams into the side of my car. A witness read her license to be VSX 284. She took off, front end of car all mashed up. I don't have 3rd party insurance so i'll have to cover the damages. Any help or advice would be much appreciated. Y'all seem to be a friendly lot, thanks in advance!

rmk
03-13-2008, 09:22 AM
Call the Cops right now. Did you get the witness' contact info?

rc2002
03-13-2008, 09:26 AM
Chances are it's a stolen car. If it is, you may be SOL as far as getting the damages covered.

Seems to me like it's girls more often than not that do hit and runs.

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/202259/hit-and-run-on-a-dash-cam-om-memorial-and-52nd/

adam c
03-13-2008, 09:33 AM
if u have the license plate, i don't know why u haven't reported this yet

topmade
03-13-2008, 09:34 AM
Originally posted by rmk
Call the Cops right now. Did you get the witness' contact info?
:werd: Like WTF?? I hope you called them when this happened? Doesn't matter what kind of insurance you have, hit and runs are a criminal offense. Hopefully you have that witnesses contact info just in case it's needed.

ITGirl
03-13-2008, 09:37 AM
oh - the police report and everything has already been filed, so the ball is in their court. I feel helpless just waiting, you know and wonder if there's anything else i can do.

403Gemini
03-13-2008, 09:48 AM
With the police report, if the Third party information is filled out (Insurance company with their policy #) - call their company and say you don't have collision coverage on your policy (At least thats what i think you meant when you said "I don't have 3rd party insurance so i'll have to cover the damages" )

Make sure you have the witness names and ph#'s and the police report# (will start with either 2008 or 08 in the top right corner) on hand when you report this because chances are her company is going to be reluctant at first to help you (nature of the business, dont take offense ;) )

After that, you're fine. If you need a ph# for her insurance company let me know which one shes with and i'll give you the ph#

ITGirl
03-13-2008, 09:53 AM
I think the issue the police are having now with the license number is that it's not pulling anything out of the database/system. (Sorry, i now realise that i started the thread being completely cryptic). So either the number isn't registered, the witness read it wrong, or it's stolen. So that's the predicament i'm in! :(

Tik-Tok
03-13-2008, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by 403Gemini
With the police report, if the Third party information is filled out (Insurance company with their policy #) - call their company and say you don't have collision coverage on your policy (At least thats what i think you meant when you said "I don't have 3rd party insurance so i'll have to cover the damages" )

Make sure you have the witness names and ph#'s and the police report# (will start with either 2008 or 08 in the top right corner) on hand when you report this because chances are her company is going to be reluctant at first to help you (nature of the business, dont take offense ;) )

After that, you're fine. If you need a ph# for her insurance company let me know which one shes with and i'll give you the ph#

Hit and run drivers don't usually throw their insurance info out the window as they're speeding off...

403Gemini
03-13-2008, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

Hit and run drivers don't usually throw their insurance info out the window as they're speeding off...
No, but the police usually can get it you nub.

Originally posted by ITGirl
I think the issue the police are having now with the license number is that it's not pulling anything out of the database/system. (Sorry, i now realise that i started the thread being completely cryptic). So either the number isn't registered, the witness read it wrong, or it's stolen. So that's the predicament i'm in! :(

Ouch, well best of luck then :(

rc2002
03-13-2008, 12:21 PM

That's what I assumed from the start. Most people wouldn't run from an accident (with witnesses everywhere) unless the car was stolen.

What kind of car do you drive that collision insurance isn't important to you?

403Gemini
03-13-2008, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by richardchan2002

That's what I assumed from the start. Most people wouldn't run from an accident (with witnesses everywhere) unless the car was stolen.

What kind of car do you drive that collision insurance isn't important to you?

You'd think so, but I'd say a good 5% of collisions a person flees but later turns themself in. So you're right whiel MOST people wouldn't flee... there is always the instance of the people who become overwhelmed with panic.

ITGirl
03-13-2008, 01:41 PM
Hey RichardChan, i drive a nissan altima gxe 1999. Bought it for $9000. That's a moo point though....

anhsicun
03-13-2008, 08:17 PM
i juts got into an hit and run recently and the car was stolen. had a hard time with my insurance but seems like everything going smooth as of now, a appriasier is suppose to come see my car on monday. like me the plate they ran didn't mtach up with the car so no way of getting the other person insurance, but unlike u i have full coverage. i think your only hope is if the cop ctach the person and then maybe they can do something. just alot of morons on the road nowadays, good luck on ur case tho.

Eleanor
03-13-2008, 11:50 PM

Hopefully the cops will find the bitch. I don't think there's much else you can do, unfortunately. If you've got a make/model of car plus a close license plate, they should be able to find something.

Good luck!

Maddog55
03-14-2008, 01:03 AM
Can almost guarantee you the witness got the plate wrong.

Remember our famous hit n run here...I had 3 people come up to me and say "I got the license plate #"....3 different numbers and all of them wrong.

Stolen? maybe..or they were simply a douche like the guy I caught in the hit n run. Higher insurance premiums, Daddy/husband/so will be pissed at me, booze/pot in the car etc, or pure panic are common reasons for hit n run.

GTS Jeff
03-14-2008, 04:03 AM
Originally posted by Maddog55
Can almost guarantee you the witness got the plate wrong.

Remember our famous hit n run here...I had 3 people come up to me and say "I got the license plate #"....3 different numbers and all of them wrong. :werd: Threads like these make me very certain about what I'd do in a hit+run. Follow the fuckers any way possible and at the very very least, get the plate and detailed description of the car and driver.

Otherwise, you're just basically shit outa luck. Witnesses are generally pretty useless unless they're maddog55..

climer
03-14-2008, 08:54 AM
Sorry to hear about your troubles.

I sure hope they find that biatch who rammed into you and throw the book at her.

Keep us up to date.

403Gemini
03-14-2008, 09:05 AM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff
:werd: Threads like these make me very certain about what I'd do in a hit+run. Follow the fuckers any way possible and at the very very least, get the plate and detailed description of the car and driver.

Otherwise, you're just basically shit outa luck. Witnesses are generally pretty useless unless they're maddog55..

I know an instance where this guy rear ended a lady and they both got out of their vehicles and he suggested they pull over to the side of the road to clear the lane so she got into her car and pulled over , the guy hopped i his truck, and drove accross a median, accross the other 2 lanes of oncoming traffic, accross some grass, into a parking lot and took off. I felt bad for her, like fuck that sucks, so first thing to do no matter what is get the liscence plate # yourself at the very least.

My gf also got into a car accident where the other party was drunk at 930 am and went through a red light, she got his plate # and when she got into her car to get a pen and paper to exchange info, buddy took off. Luckily with the liscence plate # the cops found him in about 15 min after she reported he, the guy drove to a hotel a couple blocks away and tried to sober up in there... problem is since there was basically 15 min between the accident and him getting into the hotel room the cops couldnt charge him with drunk driving because his lawyer could argue "He went to his hotel room and got drunk before the cops arrived" and since theres no way to prove he was wasted at the scene theres nothing the cops could do.

Man i hate our laws sometimes.

ITGirl
03-18-2008, 04:14 PM
No good update - only news it it'll cost me $4500 to fix. Yay.

climer
03-18-2008, 05:09 PM
:(

That really sucks ITGirl. At least get several quotes before you go ahead with the repairs...

Arthur Dent
03-18-2008, 07:52 PM
Not sure if I'd sink $4500 into a 99 Nissan unless someone else's insurance is paying. I'd look for a cheaper/less perfect estimate.

Wooby
04-01-2008, 10:40 PM
$4500 of repair seems kinda steep for a car that you bought for $9000. Is the damage to your car significant? If so and if you are strapped for cash, you might want to consider using that money to acquire another used car. You should be able to get a late 80ish or 1990ish Honda/Toyota with ~150K km for that price.

On the news recently, I saw a report where a Beyond forum member had his car stolen. Someone must have seen his posting and recognized his car. He then proceeded to call the police and they recovered his car. I don't think you mentioned what type of make/model, approx. vintage of car hit you.

Hopefully it all works out for you.