PDA

View Full Version : Roméo Dallaire

pepschnops
03-13-2008, 10:22 AM
Hey just looking for some opinions on Roméo Dallaire. I have the opportunity to go hear him speak tomorrow night and was hoping for some insight into what he is about. I know a little bit about his background but don't really know what he is about. I haven't had an opportunity to read his book "shake hands with the devil" and was hoping that some of you may have and can let me know whether or not he is a guy who is worthwhile seeing or whether my time is better spent doing something else.

Cheers!

Eleanor
03-13-2008, 10:37 AM
Definitely worth seeing. Some of my friends watched Hotel Rwanda and were almost in tears and told them to watch Shake Hands with the Devil and they were much more affected afterwards.

It is depressing but most important things are.

TheOneAndOnly
03-13-2008, 12:32 PM
I know this post is somewhat going to be point less but:

THE MAN IS A TRUE CANADIAN HEROE

suen_boi
03-13-2008, 12:37 PM
This man deserves all the respect that he's gained. Should be a good talk!

ekguy
03-13-2008, 12:53 PM
I've read the book and you defintely want to see this guy speak. It would be a great thing to hear him talk about what went on in Rwanda. After reading the book my views on certain things changed pretty considerably.

BlueGoblin
03-13-2008, 07:33 PM
I had the honour of meeting Senator Dallaire last year. He is an incredible speaker and not just when he speaks about his experiences in Rwanda.

He lectured twice; once on Rwanda and once on the topic of leadership. He was utterly captivating on both topics and I believe that any organization would benefit from his leadership lecture.

He is very much a Canadian Hero; I genuinely believe that character is never truly seen in victory, and the Rwandan genocide is an excellent example. The fact that he is willing to speak of what happened to and around him is extraordinary given the PTSD that has affected him ever since.

Definitely read the book and see him if you get the chance. I cannot speak highly enough of him.

hjr
03-14-2008, 07:48 AM
i saw him speak and was quite impressed. Very capitvating. To a very small extent it was obvious he has a political agenda, but everyone has that right and it didnt take away from anything he said

ekguy
03-14-2008, 09:02 AM
i believe Sunday he will speaking about Canada's role internationally should be interesting.

core_upt
03-14-2008, 10:31 AM
http://www.ticketmaster.ca/event/1100404BA1FBA709?artistid=1196505&majorcatid=10005&minorcatid=104

^that is the link for tickets.
it is at 5pm on Sunday at the Jack Singer.

or check out calgary.ewb.ca for more info

Archea
03-14-2008, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by Eleanor
Definitely worth seeing. Some of my friends watched Hotel Rwanda and were almost in tears and told them to watch Shake Hands with the Devil and they were much more affected afterwards.

It is depressing but most important things are.

I quite agree. I read his book a few years ago "Shake Hands with the Devil" litterally an amazing read if you can deal with crying every few chapters.

I have yet to see Hotel Rwanda however, maybe I will rent it tonight.

I also am going to his talk this weekend! I cant wait! :clap: I have heard nothing but praise for his "stage" presence.

ekguy
03-14-2008, 10:43 AM
With the role he played in the UN he would have to have quite the commanding presence. He's definitely one of the most heroic canadians in many people's eyes. I have nothing but respect for that man. Wish I could go see him speak.

Anyone see the movie Shake Hands with the Devil yet? I read the book but haven't seen the movie.