PDA

View Full Version : High speed run locations

2EFNFAST
03-13-2008, 11:05 AM
Are there any locations in Canada that are used/could be used for setting record high speed land runs? I imagine you'd have to do it in BC, if anywhere, due to the elevation issues :dunno:

****legally close off (and not the ZR auto definition of 'legal')

Euro_Trash
03-13-2008, 11:08 AM
Like a Bonnyville salt flats type setting?
I just use deerfoot :dunno:

phrozen
03-13-2008, 11:08 AM
how fast do you want to go?

adam c
03-13-2008, 11:10 AM
no wonder police frequent these forums

climer
03-13-2008, 11:12 AM
Southeast corner of Alberta :

http://www.takabe.ca/miscpics/slides/flat.jpg

Mr_ET
03-13-2008, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by 2EFNFAST
Are there any locations in Canada that are used/could be used for setting record high speed land runs? I imagine you'd have to do it in BC, if anywhere, due to the elevation issues :dunno:

You do know that there is an eastern part to this country that is mostly at sea level right?

As far as land speed records and places to conducts tests like that in Canada, I am not aware of any location that will allow you to do that.:dunno:

2EFNFAST
03-13-2008, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by Mr_ET

You do know that there is an eastern part to this country that is mostly at sea level right?

As far as land speed records and places to conducts tests like that in Canada, I am not aware of any location that will allow you to do that.:dunno:

I thought BC was at the lowest elevation?

Originally posted by adam c
no wonder police frequent these forums

allow me to clarify - LEGALLY close off for a day (and not the ZR definition of "legal")

adam c
03-13-2008, 11:41 AM

allow me to clarify - LEGALLY close off for a day (and not the ZR definition of "legal")

not gonna happen

03-13-2008, 11:42 AM
Deerfoot---:rofl:

BlkMaxima
03-13-2008, 11:43 AM
Good luck with that.

You might as well fly to the states with your cars and do it there.

It will probably be cheaper anyways.

03-13-2008, 11:45 AM
I wonder how many cops are out there trolling beyond, get hooked reading about our antics (CSI: Timothy Manuel, Ask Leo, etc) and do nothing but surf now?

Tik-Tok
03-13-2008, 11:46 AM

Yeah, the Rockies sure do make it low in elevation :rofl:

Asides from the Vancouver to Hope, most of Ontario is lower than BC, and most of Quebec is lower than Onatio.

tom_9109
03-13-2008, 11:55 AM
If you want a high speed run. Talk the man into closing one lane of the transcanada between brooks and medicine hat. mostly straight and there are stretches over 5 km with new pavement. But as we all know they'll never let you.

03-13-2008, 11:58 AM
Just do the FnF thing, grab some guys, 2 trucks and some construction markers (pylons, baracades, etc) spotters on both ends where the markers are laid done closing the road, you get 2 or 3 runs before po-po is called.

Then when the cops come, make sure the draw bridge is going up and you gotta do some crazy ass jump to escape the law shooting electro pulse gun thingys while driving fast.

97'Scort
03-13-2008, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by tom_9109
But as we all know they'll never let you.

If you have enough money you can get just about whatever you want for a large enough payment. Everything has a price :)

climer
03-13-2008, 12:01 PM
Quebec is probably higher in elevation (on average) than Ontario. After all, it has at least 3 mountain ranges which lie in it's province - the Torngats to the east, the Laurentians to the west and the Appalachians to the south.

Although Ontario has at least one mountain range (the ancient La Cloche Silhouette), the terrain in general is relatively flat due to the glaciers which terraformed the region.

The province with the lowest elevation would be PEI for sure.

tom_9109
03-13-2008, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by 97'Scort

If you have enough money you can get just about whatever you want for a large enough payment. Everything has a price :)

Well lets all put in for a 5 km portion of the transcanada for one day.

brucebanner
03-13-2008, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by climer
The province with the lowest elevation would be PEI for sure.

The Maritimes in general have the lowest elevation in Canada for sure. Nova Scotia, PEI, Newfoundland, Newbrunswick..

97'Scort
03-13-2008, 12:10 PM
Why the transcanada? Beat up old tarmac rutted from all the truckers running on it all day, every day? You really want to run flat out on that?

I'll bet for a lot less you could get a runway at an airfield: plenty long enough for anything on this board to hit top speed, no worries about noise bylaws, lots of room.

whiskas
03-13-2008, 12:20 PM
plenty long enough for anything on this board to hit top speed

I would need 10km of downhill road to get my shitbox to topspeed.

403Gemini
03-13-2008, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by 410440
Just do the FnF thing, grab some guys, 2 trucks and some construction markers (pylons, baracades, etc) spotters on both ends where the markers are laid done closing the road, you get 2 or 3 runs before po-po is called.

Then when the cops come, make sure the draw bridge is going up and you gotta do some crazy ass jump to escape the law shooting electro pulse gun thingys while driving fast.

DUDE! Don't forget doing all of this in a horrible pink s2000 and yellow "Smack that ass!"

treg50
03-13-2008, 01:11 PM
^ UNLESS there's a hot grrl racer in the pink S2000 and the yellow one has another hot grrl racer saying "Smack that ass!"

Cword
03-13-2008, 02:08 PM
Bonneville is your best bet, and only a 15 hour drive away.

There are a few of us who make the trek every summer.
Nanook Racing (Red Deer), Scott Beairsto (Innisfail), North of 49 (Calgary)

Speeds tend to be higher at Bonneville at 4000 feet than they are at Lake Gairdner (sp) which is near sea level i Australia.

Boosted cars make up for the air density in a big way and then go on to take areo advantage of the thinner air they are running in.

You have a couple of options to run at Bonneville. you could go minimal safety and join the 130 club the Utah Salt Flats Racing Association runs at their meet in September.
If you want more than that then I'd advise joining the SCTA - BNI (Souther California Timing Association - Bonneville Nationals Inc.) Joining will get you a rule book, which will give you full information on the safety features you need. It'll also cover your admission to that years event in August in case you want to see it first hand before committing.

The safety stuff is worth it, the salt gets pretty slippery above 175

4Lzu3gi8hG4

alloroc
03-13-2008, 02:13 PM
wow! when you see your own chute that can not be good.

LilDrunkenSmurf
03-13-2008, 02:15 PM
Why the transcanada? Beat up old tarmac rutted from all the truckers running on it all day, every day? You really want to run flat out on that?

I'll bet for a lot less you could get a runway at an airfield: plenty long enough for anything on this board to hit top speed, no worries about noise bylaws, lots of room.

I like this idea... Air fields (from what I understand) are fairly well taken care of... But I doubt we could do it at the Calgary Airport. We would need either an old one, or a very slow one...

97'Scort
03-13-2008, 02:58 PM
They used to hold races and track days out at the old army airfield up here...I don't know whether they do that anymore.

2EFNFAST
03-13-2008, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by Cword
[B]Bonneville is your best bet, and only a 15 hour drive away.
]

Did some research, seems like that's the facility to do it. Speeds would be in excess of 260MPH (mph), so safety is key.

Thanks.

Antonito
03-13-2008, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by tom_9109
If you want a high speed run. Talk the man into closing one lane of the transcanada between brooks and medicine hat. mostly straight and there are stretches over 5 km with new pavement. But as we all know they'll never let you.

Pretend you're a movie studio...

Cword
03-13-2008, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by alloroc
wow! when you see your own chute that can not be good.

Especially when your doing 195 mph (313 kph)
It was a hell of a ride.

Cword
03-13-2008, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by LilDrunkenSmurf

I like this idea... Air fields (from what I understand) are fairly well taken care of... But I doubt we could do it at the Calgary Airport. We would need either an old one, or a very slow one...

Best airfield for this purpose is Maxton, North Carolina

Cword
03-13-2008, 03:52 PM

Did some research, seems like that's the facility to do it. Speeds would be in excess of 260MPH (mph), so safety is key.

Thanks.

None of the local guys run that quick. We're just touching 210 on a 214 record. Scott's been running 212 on his bike, and Nanook are running a Modified Mini Pickup around the 130 mark.
There are folks in town involved in the Project 550 streamliner, but it's still not yet seen the salt. Davenport machine is involved in that one. Treit-Davenport used to run a lakester that ran in the 300+ range.

To get to 260 on the salt will take a minimum of 5 runs.
You'll have to license D, C, B, A, AA

If Jon ever restarts the forum on Landracing.com it'll be the best place for questions and answers.
Until then there is a good email list;
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/land-speed

And of course the SCTA-BNI website; www.scta-bni.org

Mike

civicluva
03-13-2008, 04:15 PM
Sorry a C5 z06 isn't going to set any high speed records so don't even bother.