PDA

View Full Version : Trouble Waking Up in the Morning.

Pages : [1] 2

signature7
03-13-2008, 05:56 PM
hey guys,

So lately ( beginning of 2nd semester), i've been having the hardest time waking up. My first semester, i had classes later in the day. Now i have class 8 in the morning most days. I've found it really hard waking up, even if i get a normal amount of sleep.

It got to the point where i had to set numerous alarms on my phone. At one point i had two seperate alarms, and three on my phone. In the end i'd just turn them off and hea dback to sleep. So i positioned the alarms where i'd have to actually get up to turn them off, i ended up just sleeping through them. I'm in the basement and the alarms wakes my brother up who is two stories up!!!

Finally, i tell my gf to call me, and my sister to come down and wake me up, because she gets up at that time. My girlfriend calls a milion times to no avial. and appearantly when my sister goes to wake me up, i make excuses like, " my class got canceled, or i just say okay i'll wake up" then go back to sleep. So does anyone have any good pointers or alarm clocks that smack you in the balls, because it's getting embarassing. Thanks for reading.

qbnb
03-13-2008, 06:00 PM
I hear you man, any input would help me as well.

sxtasy
Hook it up to your stereo? blast it through your room....:thumbsup:

trikypenguin
haha i have that same problem too.....was an hour late for class this morning :(

adam c
03-13-2008, 06:08 PM
drink lots of water before u goto sleep

mark4091
03-13-2008, 06:08 PM
Drink a ton of water before going to bed so you have to get up?

^^^^^ Beat me to it

-QA-
03-13-2008, 06:10 PM
wtf this sounds just like my situation...i even live in the basement aswell and i have two alarms. My cellphone and this other alarm clock that sounds ljust ike a truck backing up...it wakes everyone up (upstairs) then i hit snooze.

Haven't found a solution....i've tried

multiple alarms etc dont work

The weather is getting nice lately and i find that helps...when its nice out i want to get up...its odd

Also try anything to allow more light in the room, now that the sun is up earlier it may help wake you up :dunno:

YCB
03-13-2008, 06:13 PM
I assume you're going to bed at 9-10pm every night right?

and not smoking the ganja before bed lol.. :D

signature7
03-13-2008, 06:15 PM
haha i do drink lots of water. I watched that on the simpsons as a kid lol. But....i wake up in the middle of the night, go to the washroom, and i drink more water...

But sometimes you are awaken in the middle of the night, and when you can get back to bed, you feel so relieved and happy, it makes the sleep almost better lol.

maybe i need to be more consistant.

haha no ganja at night, I do try to sleep earlier. Sometimes i can't sleep at 9-10 though, if i do, i end up just laying there, i sleep around 11 and my wake up time is about 630. I have friends who hardly get any sleep and they wake up no problem.

and being in the basement, i have one small window, and sunlight doesn't get in so well.

403Gemini
03-13-2008, 06:29 PM
I wake up at 6 am, let my dog out for a piss (i have to go out with her on a leash cause of her surgery) then we get back inside and i go back to bed for half and hour. After that 30 min mini nap i have an insane amount of energy... but for the first alarm you just have to FORCE yourself up.

That or take a caffeine pill 20-30 min after the alarm clock.

It all comes down to will power in the end...

403Gemini
03-13-2008, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by infected
Try to allow more light into the room like mentioned above. I find leaving the blinds up and having a slight crack in the window helps me wake up easier in the morning with the sunlight pouring in while the birds chirping outside.

To be honest, this just makes me hate birds lol

infected
03-13-2008, 06:31 PM
Try to allow more light into the room like mentioned above. I find leaving the blinds up and having a slight crack in the window helps me wake up easier in the morning with the sunlight pouring in while the birds are chirping outside.

jdm_eg6
03-13-2008, 06:32 PM
self control / determination.

i have 8am class every day and most of the time i sleep the entire C-Train ride and through first class because im so tired but im there...:rolleyes:

make it essential and the fact each class cost you $500 dollars should be persuasion enough

If in-deed it is hard, try timed light. buy a timer and hook up a stereo and whats called "Natural Lighting" bulbs.. or either or...

The natural lighting bulbs may wake you up in a less stressful and much more pleasant way but are effective. and the stereo will just wake you up:thumbsup:

arian_ma
03-13-2008, 06:36 PM
I have the same problem and I THINK I know why it is.

ALWAYS near the end of first semester and the beginning of second I would miss all my fucking classes because I just could NOT wake up. It was insane, I would go to bed at like 11 and wake up at 11.

But it slowly goes away as the semester progresses. I think I know why.
I live on the top floor in my house, and in the winter, 7 AM is fucking pitch black, so I just don't wake up till it's bright out (IE 11 AM) But as the season progresses, it starts to be light out at 7 so it is much easier for me to wake up. Now it seems to me like you are in a dark ass basement, and it is always dark down there. Try and set up some lights (I know it sounds retarded but it just may work!) so that your body thinks it is morning at 7 AM even though it may be pitch black in your basement due to lack of windows.

Edit: wow it looks like I should read threads more often...

nismodrifter
03-13-2008, 06:37 PM
I sleep 3-4 hours every night and have class at 8am every damn day of the week. My alarm is away from the bed so I have to get up to turn it off. I then force myself to have a shower, not return to bed. Works perfect yo. Sunrise at 7am every day of the year also helps as my room is full of light at that time.

Eleanor
03-13-2008, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by nismodrifter
I sleep 3-4 hours every night and have class at 8am every damn day of the week. My alarm is away from the bed so I have to get up to turn it off. I then force myself to have a shower, not return to bed. Works perfect yo. Sunrise at 7am every day of the year also helps as my room is full of light at that time.

3-4 hours a night? holy shit! I get about 6 every night, i don't drink coffee or take caffeine pills or anything, i do alright till later in the week and really boring lectures.

as for waking up, my alarm turns on my radio with my sub which is under my bed, wakes me up.

thrasher22
03-13-2008, 07:10 PM
My alarm is a really loud horrid screeching sound, so I hate it too much to sleep through it, it forces me to get up.
I also set another alarm for 30 min before I actually have to get up to help start waking me up.
I'm also a big caffeine fiend haha

I know how you feel though, so many people tell you its just self discipline, but there isn't much you can do if you flat out don't wake up to start with.

ctruo
03-13-2008, 07:29 PM
Get your sister to spray your face with a water bottle.

Canmorite
03-13-2008, 07:35 PM
I have the same problem. Waking up in the morning is WAY harder then it used to be. I've stopped drinking coffee so that hasn't helped either.

signature7
03-13-2008, 07:35 PM
^^ sounds like a gameplan for tommorow.

wildrice
03-13-2008, 07:42 PM
i like to set my alarm 30 mins in advance and just snooze it, it rings again every 5 mins, so after 7 times of snoozing, i'm usually up by then.

theken
03-13-2008, 07:45 PM
I have to be out the door by like 6:10 i usually get up at 630 late for work, every day, it's brutal, i went to bed at 10:00 a couple nights ago and didn't have to work the next day, i slept till 2:00 so brutal. i just live with the fact I will be late everyday haha

Supa Dexta
03-13-2008, 08:19 PM
Yeah too much sleep.. I'm way better at getting up and on the go when I have 6 hrs rather then 8 or 9..

Canmorite
03-13-2008, 08:38 PM
Do you have a gf? Morning bjs are the best wake up call :thumbsup:

signature7
03-13-2008, 08:39 PM
^^ definitely does the trick, but she only stays over on weekends... not schoolnights :(

theken
03-13-2008, 08:41 PM
i have a wife, so getting a morning bj for me, i don't think i would be awake, and it wouldn't be her doing it in my dream

dropdat
03-13-2008, 11:53 PM
I had the same problem when I was in high school. You can buy alarm clocks that when they go off they roll off of your dresser and run away so you have to chase them to turn them off, I'd also say drink lots of water.

You can always force yourself to get up too, I wake up at 5:30 every morning, and after years of doing it, it has just been programmed into my brain and usually i wake up a few minutes before my alarm goes off.

Trini
03-13-2008, 11:55 PM
the feeling of just taking off the alarm and going back to sleep is soo good..

but drinking lots of water does work and getting someone to come and shake you awake as well.

peterparker
03-14-2008, 12:50 AM
id recommend stetching before bed, even some pushups and a light stetch will work, do it in the morning as well. get into the habit of doing this every night. Loosening up your muscles is key to getting a great sleep, and waking up feeling relaxed and not tense. Also, you'll get the benefit of being a bit more fit from these small excersises. and make sure you are taking multi vitamins daily, as they increase energry and energy span times.

ryuen
03-14-2008, 10:06 AM
Get one of these! :burnout:

http://www.thinkgeek.com/homeoffice/lights/91f2/

SpoonEK9@STRD
03-14-2008, 10:27 AM
Doing what some one mention above may help you. Setting the alarm an hour before you have to wake up, hit the snooze button, until you get up. It may take you several snoozes to get up.... My alarm is set to its default, i think its 9 mins or something odd like that.

Get a second alarm, I use my phone. Set this for the latest time you have to get up.

When the phones alarm goes off It tells me, 'fuck I'm late.'
Force myself to the shower, some times I even pass out while standing ahah.

But this does the trick almost every time. Weird how Im just like you, i used to tell people to wake me up, and I would always give them...'Im going in late today' sleepwalk talk. :)

403Gemini
03-14-2008, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by SpoonEK9@STRD
Doing what some one mention above may help you. Setting the alarm an hour before you have to wake up, hit the snooze button, until you get up. It may take you several snoozes to get up.... My alarm is set to its default, i think its 9 mins or something odd like that.

Get a second alarm, I use my phone. Set this for the latest time you have to get up.

When the phones alarm goes off It tells me, 'fuck I'm late.'
Force myself to the shower, some times I even pass out while standing ahah.

But this does the trick almost every time. Weird how Im just like you, i used to tell people to wake me up, and I would always give them...'Im going in late today' sleepwalk talk. :)

Worst is when you can navigate yourself around your house with your eyes closed/partially opened , and even take a shower with them closed and pretty much doze off the entire time... then you step outside with the sun JUST rising and think "wtf why is it so bright!!!" lol

analbumcover
03-14-2008, 10:41 AM
if you arent refreshed after a good nights sleep its time for a new bed my friend.

i suggest something to do with tempurpedic!

i have a hard time waking up every morning too, snooze for a while, but then my girlfriend either turns the light on, nags the fuck out of me, throws stuff at me or pours water on me, so really i gotta get up if i wanna avoid the nagging voice, being wet or getting hurt lol

JRSC00LUDE
03-14-2008, 10:44 AM
^

So let me get this straight, you're girlfriend gets YOU wet? You're not doing something right son....

bashir26
03-14-2008, 10:45 AM
Ha I got the same problem. I didn't have this problem last semister.

analbumcover
03-14-2008, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
^

So let me get this straight, you're girlfriend gets YOU wet? You're not doing something right son....

way to twist my words there slutty mcslutterson

rmk
03-14-2008, 10:50 AM
Hahaha @ students bitching about 8 am morning classes. Give me a break :rofl: Wait until you get to the real world.

Euro838
03-14-2008, 11:00 AM
It's all about motivation, if you want to get up, you'll get up, if you don't then nothing will help.

How hard is to decide in the morning to NOT go back to sleep when you hear the alarm? As the OP stated, he will go and turn off the alarm, therefore you are conscious enough to make that decision.

Euro_Trash
03-14-2008, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by rmk
Hahaha @ students bitching about 8 am morning classes. Give me a break :rofl: Wait until you get to the real world.

It's funny because for some reason I have a way harder time getting up at 7:00 for an 8:00 course than I do getting up at 5:00 for work. I think it's because with school I have the choice to go or not, and with work I really don't have a choice.

ScottysZ
03-14-2008, 11:01 AM
^I have way more trouble getting up at like 7 for an 8am class than i do in the summer getting up for work at 5. I think its cause you can convince yourself that you dont really HAVE to go to that class, where being late for work has immediate consequences.

Euro838
03-14-2008, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by rmk

Yup, very true! Sleeping in is waking up at 6:30-7:00am and going to bed at midnight or 1 am.

Expresso's are our saviour!

BrknFngrs
03-14-2008, 11:03 AM
Do you make a point of keeping a fairly normal schedule for when you wake up? I've always found a good way to get to waking up on time is to get up at the same time everyday, weekends included. Get a constant number of hours sleeping each night and wake up at the exact same time for a week or so (don't use snooze buttons).

ScottysZ
03-14-2008, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by Euro_Trash

It's funny because for some reason I have a way harder time getting up at 7:00 for an 8:00 course than I do getting up at 5:00 for work. I think it's because with school I have the choice to go or not, and with work I really don't have a choice.

Originally posted by ScottysZ
^I have way more trouble getting up at like 7 for an 8am class than i do in the summer getting up for work at 5. I think its cause you can convince yourself that you dont really HAVE to go to that class, where being late for work has immediate consequences.

Wow. Are we in the twilight zone or something?

Euro_Trash
03-14-2008, 11:05 AM
I found that once I started eating a little more healthy that I had more energy in the mornings as well.

Euro_Trash
03-14-2008, 11:06 AM

Wow.

Get out of my head!!! lol

adam c
03-14-2008, 11:08 AM
realize that u are throwing ur life away by not going to class and wasting all that money...

thats a good wake up call!

JeremyD
03-14-2008, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by ryuen
Get one of these! :burnout:

http://www.thinkgeek.com/homeoffice/lights/91f2/

you could try these too

http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/41/snuznluz.shtml which will donate money from your bank account to a organization of your choice.

or

http://www.thinkgeek.com/homeoffice/lights/8f1a/

that shakes the bed.

01RedDX
03-14-2008, 11:27 AM

RATM
03-14-2008, 11:49 AM

thats seriously exactly it.
i just can't wake up!

topmade
03-14-2008, 11:56 AM
The lack of light might be playing games with your brain. Get a timer on a light to light up the room when it's time to wake up and see if that helps.

Chester
03-14-2008, 12:13 PM
Stop smoking weed.

alloroc
03-14-2008, 12:45 PM
Ditch the alarm clock.

Get a timer, a good stereo, a strobe light, some white paint, some green paint and a 4" brush.

1) paint 14" wide -wavy - horizontal bands on the walls alternating green and white.
2) plug in and set the timer
3) mount the strobe such that it shines on at least 3 walls and not directly at you, plug it into the timer, turn it on and set it for 1/8s intervals
4) Stereo full blast, country 105 FM and make sure the reciever and on/off button can not be hit while in bed.

^if that combination doesn't wake you up or even make you vomit, you are a lost cause.

jaylo
03-14-2008, 01:24 PM
I say it is most likely motivation.

Try to set something up, something to look forward to. It's like the night before christmas or a vacation, you can't wait to get up.

I believe in most cases, trouble waking up in the morning is usually the fact that there is nothing to look forward to or dreading that day.

Since you are in a basement, try pulling your blankets and throw them on the floor. Then you will feel cold and it forces yourself to wake up.

Jayson
03-14-2008, 01:47 PM
dude i feel your pain.... you know a big contribution to your problem is living in the basement... When i used to live with my parents, i lived in the basement, but we had a walk out and huge windows facing east, so i got a lot of sunshine in the morning. But when i moved out, i moved into this basement suite and there's barely any sunshine that comes in... I had a lot of trouble getting up in the morning.....

Also it's a lot colder in the basement, and you tend to not want to get out of bed when you're nice and warm under the covers.

Dude the only suggestion i have for you is go to bed earlier... if you're going to bed any later than 12:00, then you're gonna be fucked trying to get up in the morning.. Good luck

Darkane
03-14-2008, 02:24 PM
Sounds like a lot of you guys have seasonal depression.. (Personally I think it's all Mental)

But seriously Try some fish oil, some good multi vitamins and just the fuck out of bed. Once you crack your eyes open don't moan and say to yourself "Fuck morning already"

Get the fuck up, sounds like you guys don't want to face the day.

rated_R
03-14-2008, 02:42 PM
I had the same problem when waking up for my 8 'o clock class last year but I learned that right when the alarm goes off just think about all your worries and all your problems in your life and honestly you would sitting in your bed feeling like shit but awake in a minute!! but once you take a shower, you will feel just great. And if that doesn't work just hire a midget to kick you in the balls when you won't get outta bed :dunno:

snowboard
03-14-2008, 02:55 PM
this is my fucking life story
lol im late for work EVERDAY. i usually wake up then doze back off and start dreaming, and when im dreaming i will NOT wake up. and when i do, i walk with my eyes closed to the shower and shower with the lights off. sometimes i even sit in the shower lol.
fuck i hate it. its so embaressing.
but im a contractor so no one gets mad, so it makes it worse.
i skipped 95% of the morning of highschool..
godddd.

fridays is my fault though, roadhouse kinda kills my morning.

Chester
03-14-2008, 03:27 PM
$7 trips the night before work = no good

Jayson
03-14-2008, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by snowboard
this is my fucking life story
lol im late for work EVERDAY. i usually wake up then doze back off and start dreaming, and when im dreaming i will NOT wake up. and when i do, i walk with my eyes closed to the shower and shower with the lights off. sometimes i even sit in the shower lol.
fuck i hate it. its so embaressing.
but im a contractor so no one gets mad, so it makes it worse.
i skipped 95% of the morning of highschool..
godddd.

fridays is my fault though, roadhouse kinda kills my morning.

haha when i first read your post i thought you said "sometimes i even SHIT in the shower"

~Leah~
03-14-2008, 05:16 PM
It's definitely all about motivation and will power. I was like this in university and finally I decided to just take a year off because I wasn't motivated to go to school anymore.

One thing you might want to look into is light therapy because a lot of people have SAD (seasonal affective disorder) around this time of year, especially with the time change last week. One form of light therapy is tanning, but there are other, safer alternatives as well.

swak
03-14-2008, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by Jayson

haha when i first read your post i thought you said "sometimes i even SHIT in the shower"

haha... so what if he did?
Doesnt everybody? :werd:

JRSC00LUDE
03-14-2008, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by 01RedDX

For shame... turn in your badge and clean out your desk.

Good job son. That was just a little test to see who was worthy of receiving the next open position in our posse.

You've got a leg up on the competition you son of a bitch.

DeeK
03-14-2008, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by JeremyD

http://www.thinkgeek.com/homeoffice/lights/8f1a/

that shakes the bed.

Damn, you beat me to it. First thing I thought of when i opened this thread. 113 Decibels!

Kobe
03-14-2008, 08:26 PM

Same here

I have troubles getting up for my 11am class at school, on the other side, how the hell do you people go to bed at 9-10pm?
There is no way I will be caught in bed before 2-3am, and If I am I can NOT sleep...

pinoyhero
03-14-2008, 09:06 PM
Down a line, works everytime

hampstor
03-14-2008, 09:32 PM
I used to have that problem. Here's a few things I did that worked for me:

- I go to bed thinking that I need to get up at a certain time and kind of in-grain it in my head (this was most effective for me)
- When I wake up, i try and sit up instead of opening my eyes and rolling around in my bed (worked ok most of the time, a few times i got way too dizzy ding this)
- Setting my alarm 1 hour eariler then i had it and hitting snooze for the extra hour

codetrap
03-15-2008, 12:50 AM
Wow.. just..wow.

I really can't believe that there is so many panty waists here. Quit being such a bunch of pussies, get your shit together, and take care of business like a man. If you can't handle that, then you'd better go put that diaper back on, tie that aprons string real tight and cry in your mommy's skirt, cuz she's the only one who really gives a fuck.

:whocares:

broken_legs
03-15-2008, 01:19 AM
Originally posted by Darkane
Sounds like a lot of you guys have seasonal depression.. (Personally I think it's all Mental)

But seriously Try some fish oil, some good multi vitamins and just the fuck out of bed. Once you crack your eyes open don't moan and say to yourself "Fuck morning already"

Get the fuck up, sounds like you guys don't want to face the day.

:werd:

I have this problem sometimes and i believe its mild depression.

When I'm at work and have a reason to get up I have no problem waking up, being ona schedule functioning for months on no sleep.

As soon as I'm in town and I realize I have nothing to do because a.) All my friends are at work b.) My Gf is at work c.) I cant play golf I just keep going back to sleep

Its definitely a case of dreading the day. School is not the most exciting thing. Youre going to have to try and find something you like about it

I also find if you force yourself to get up early and exercise - do this for a week maybe you will feel like a champ, sleep better and wake easier

turbotrip
03-15-2008, 03:57 AM
the worst is when i turn off my alarm without really being completely conscious, and then dream that im showering and changing and leaving my house, and then suddenly wake up and almost have a heart attack when i realize it was all a dream and i still have to do all that shit. and its funny that this only happens when i have somewhere important to be

and it definitely also has to do with motivation. i could probably count on my 2 hands how many classes ive been to in the last 3 years, but when ive got meetings or work to do i usually seem to wake up.

Disoblige
03-15-2008, 04:04 AM

That's true. I had to be at school at 6:55 for Gym AM back in high school where missing a class would bring your mark down a lot and I had no problems showing up. But as university started, it was tougher going to 8 AM lectures. I make the labs on time though.

Datsun-Fever
03-15-2008, 04:09 AM
Originally posted by codetrap
Wow.. just..wow.

I really can't believe that there is so many panty waists here. Quit being such a bunch of pussies, get your shit together, and take care of business like a man. If you can't handle that, then you'd better go put that diaper back on, tie that aprons string real tight and cry in your mommy's skirt, cuz she's the only one who really gives a fuck.

What a fag.

ricefarmer
03-15-2008, 04:14 AM
Seems like most of the people here have the same problem, not being able to get out of bed by 8 am. - I am no exception.

Like a few people have already said - no amount of alarms or therapy is going to help... Be a MAN, get teh fuck up and get ready for the day ahead of you!

codetrap
03-15-2008, 07:30 AM
Originally posted by Datsun-Fever

What a fag.

Why? Because I'm amazed that there are so many people on here that seem to lack the self discipline to drag their sorry asses out of bed in the morning? Or that it astounds me that people will sit there and make excuses constantly about it by saying that S.A.D. made them do it?

Its all just BS. I'm personally aware of the effects of SAD, and I mitigate them every winter, so thats not an excuse. Not enough time for sleep? Sorry, I usually go to bed around 10 - 11, and I'm up on time every day. It's called "Personal Responsibility", and it appears that a lot of people here lack that very basic attribute.

And you know, it's really interesting to note the responses here. It would appear from some of them that the people who are highly motivated, and quite likely to succeed, are the ones that are of the opinion that it boils down to plain simple willpower.

Rat Fink
03-15-2008, 07:40 AM

Scope951
03-15-2008, 04:02 PM
have your sister do something that would likely anger the shit out of you to get you to wake up.

Have her pour glass of water on your, rip the sheets away.
mess around with a possesion.

something that you just gotta get for.

Canmorite
03-15-2008, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by codetrap
Wow.. just..wow.

Because everyone who has trouble getting up in the morning is a pussy...right.

black13
03-15-2008, 09:18 PM
When your in bed laying, before you fall asleep repeat to yourself that you have to wake up at xx:xx time. Say it to yourself a couple times before you go to sleep.

Tomaz
10-22-2012, 10:49 AM
Bump!

I'm sick of having issues waking up in the morning, so I need some more ideas, or even types/brands of alarm clocks you guys use to beat the morning blues.

To give you an idea of my coma-like sleep: I need to be out of bed by 6:30 and I usually go to be around 10, but find myself usually not falling asleep well past midnight. I have a total of 3 alarm clocks (2 plug-ins, and my phone) with multiple alarms each. My alarms start going off at 6, but I wake up after 8 am with no alarms going off, and my phone saying that the alarm is going but with no sound coming from it.

I have officially trained my body to sleep through a war without even wanting to.

Thanks for the help!

clem24
10-22-2012, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by Tomaz
To give you an idea of my coma-like sleep: I need to be out of bed by 6:30 and I usually go to be around 10, but find myself usually not falling asleep well past midnight. I have a total of 3 alarm clocks (2 plug-ins, and my phone) with multiple alarms each. My alarms start going off at 6, but I wake up after 8 am with no alarms going off, and my phone saying that the alarm is going but with no sound coming from it.

Are you even tired at 10? Or do you find that you're sleepy before that (like 8 or 9)? If you find yourself sleepy at 8 or 9, try going to bed at that time. Because if you wait till 10, it's likely that you're "overtired" (even seen a baby/kid who's overtired?). If you're going to bed at 10 but don't end up falling asleep till 12, I'd say forget it. Just sleep at 12 cause it's actually counterproductive to jump in bed at 10. But my advice would be to sleep at 8 or 9 when you actually feel sleepy and just see how you are in the morning.

As for the peeing at night thing, I personally that doesn't work; you just end up with broken sleep, which is far worse than continuous sleep. Also, if I have to pee while I am sleeping (or poop for that matter) I end up with dreams of me peeing/pooping.. They're pretty stressful cause at the end of the dream, I still want to pee/poop and it ends up being VERY unsatisfying LOL.

Disoblige
10-22-2012, 11:46 AM
Maybe I don't understand this well enough, but I'm leaning to the side of codetrap.

It doesn't mean you're a pussy, but if you really want to wake up on time, really IMO it's just willpower.

If something is important enough for you, you'll wake up on time for it.

ga16i
10-22-2012, 11:49 AM
While doing computer science back in University, I did a few experiments to maximize how I can stay awake and work/study longer while not feeling like crap the next day. I first tried staying up all night just to see at what times I start getting sleepy, really sleepy and when I start to feel better again.

Then I started setting alarms at increasing intervals of 1 hour to see how much sleep I need to not feel terrible and also to find out what my sleep cycles are. If you cut yourself off at certain stages of a sleep cycle, you'll feel like shit when you get up. I found that I'm pretty good with 2 hour intervals. So if I sleep say 2, 4, 6, 8 hours, I usually feel pretty awesome the next morning. 2 hr is not recommended, but I'd feel way better than if I went for 3 hrs. So I time my going to sleep accordingly to get 6hrs in now, and wake up naturally even on the weekends. Aside from the 2 hr windows, I am basically in a dead coma sleep the rest of the time and won't hear anything. I used to over sleep alarms, because I'm just in deep sleep and the alarm turns off after a period of time. A few weeks back during the fire in Mckenzie Towne the wife awoke to the blaring sirens, but couldn't for the life of her get me up, because I was in deep sleep.

I found that the trick to falling asleep quickly is to have a clear and blank mind. It might take practice, but not thinking is a valuable skill for falling asleep right away.

Redlined_8000
10-22-2012, 12:14 PM
My second alarm is a radio and I dont have it set to a channel I set it so it just makes a shit ton of static noise at the max volume... That shit gets you up! lol

Also maybe try setting this radio in a position across the room so you need to get out of bed to turn it off.

Sugarphreak
10-22-2012, 12:25 PM

HyperZell
10-22-2012, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak
I set my alarm for 5:30am... hit the snooze about 4 times (10 minutes a pop) and then get up. Those couple rounds of 10 minute periods I get my best sleep in, lol.

Yep... the day I leave on a long road trip and want to beat traffic out of Calgary I am up at 4:00am bouncing around like I just had a dozen coffees!

If you have to get up, you get up. Just a matter of will power.

Actually, snoozing is a terrible thing to do:

http://gizmodo.com/5949809/why-the-snooze-button-is-ruining-your-sleep

The average adult needs 7-9 hours sleep a night, and while the exact amount varies person-to-person, your body knows when you've had enough, and pumps out dopamine to to suppress feelings of sleepiness and prepare you to wake. As you hit the snooze button and return to sleep and re-start that dopamine drip, your body become a chemical cocktail shaker, as neurotransmitters rattle around providing conflicting influences. The snooze might release some feel-good chemicals, but ultimately it's pulling your body in different directions. That chemical confusion leaves you feeling disoriented, and makes it difficult to get going.

Apparently it's all about chemical imbalances. Interesting read.

Sugarphreak
10-22-2012, 01:06 PM

Canmorite
10-22-2012, 01:14 PM
I'm going in for a sleep assessment on Wednesday at 'The Centre for Sleep' as I find I'm always tired in the morning, no matter how much sleep I get. Will post updates here.

baygirl
10-22-2012, 01:37 PM
I set my alarm for 5:30am... hit the snooze about 4 times (10 minutes a pop) and then get up. Those couple rounds of 10 minute periods I get my best sleep in, lol.

Don't you think this is cruel for whoever is sleeping next to you, especially if she is a light sleeper who has trouble falling back asleep after the alarm wakes her the first time?!?!

Yes, this is a sore spot for me:rofl:

supe
10-22-2012, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by Tomaz
Bump!

I'm sick of having issues waking up in the morning, so I need some more ideas, or even types/brands of alarm clocks you guys use to beat the morning blues.

I have officially trained my body to sleep through a war without even wanting to.

Thanks for the help!

I think yes you have trained yourself to sleep through whatever but to me its that your body is telling you that you're not getting enough sleep. So instead of forcing yourself to get up you need to find ways to put yourself to sleep earlier.

Make sure your room is pitch black, that is supposed to help. Also take melatonin if you need to, try it.

Life starts to feel pretty good when you wake up earlier than you need to and be productive in the mornings.

spikerS
10-22-2012, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by baygirl

Don't you think this is cruel for whoever is sleeping next to you, especially if she is a light sleeper who has trouble falling back asleep after the alarm wakes her the first time?!?!

Yes, this is a sore spot for me:rofl:

yeah, sucks to know when your shift starts in the kitchen again huh?

:rofl:

and guess who is sleeping on the couch tonight...

Sugarphreak
10-22-2012, 01:47 PM

HyperZell
10-22-2012, 01:57 PM

I am the light sleeper in the relationship... she could sleep through all kinds of loud noise.

becides, when she wakes up she automatically goes downstairs and make breakfast for me.... isn't that what all girls do?

Just the ones with crushing self-esteem issues.

Lol, just jokes.

baygirl
10-22-2012, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by spikers

yeah, sucks to know when your shift starts in the kitchen again huh?

:rofl:

Hey now, we both now I am not allowed near the stove...

I am the light sleeper in the relationship... she could sleep through all kinds of loud noise.

becides, when she wakes up she automatically goes downstairs and make breakfast for me.... isn't that what all girls do?
Well trained girls roll over and wake you up with a smile

:poosie:
besides, can't you pour your own bowl of cereal?!?!?
(j/k)

Tomaz
10-22-2012, 03:29 PM
Thanks for the tips people. I am going to see what I can do about sleeping much earlier. I also have cut coffee out of my diet after noon which helps make me sleepy in the evening.

I'll also look at getting a timer for my bedside light to brighten things up in the morning. perhaps I can beat this thing. lol

spike98
10-22-2012, 03:50 PM

Mine does as well. Also makes me lunch for the day and brews a pot of coffee.

JfuckinC
10-22-2012, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by Canmorite
I'm going in for a sleep assessment on Wednesday at 'The Centre for Sleep' as I find I'm always tired in the morning, no matter how much sleep I get. Will post updates here.

Def update us.. i've always wanted to get assesed cause my sleeping habits are shit.. and i can't seem to stay asleep, unless i drink a lot :rofl:

Kobe
10-22-2012, 04:50 PM
Don't wake up early... Problem solved..

Fuck when I was in school @ 8am courses I would never wake up for them, when I worked construction I was at least 30minutes late every day the 2nd, 3rd and 4th year working it.. At the end I was coming an hour late every day, it was just expected of me..

Life is good right now not waking up at a designated time, still sucks every morning waking up...

I remember canmorite tried to wake me up at 6pm once and I was sleeping.. :rofl: :rofl: (this was not a nap, I used to go to bed around 11am)

st184
10-22-2012, 07:04 PM
I don't know if this has been mentioned already but what I do is my staged wake-up. If I want to go to bed a skip class I force myself to first get out of bed, make coffee and take a shower. If the time comes to actually leave for school and I still feel like absolute balls then I go back to bed. 90% of the time I feel great by the time the shower is done and coffee is on.

jsn
10-22-2012, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by HyperZell

Actually, snoozing is a terrible thing to do:

http://gizmodo.com/5949809/why-the-snooze-button-is-ruining-your-sleep

Apparently it's all about chemical imbalances. Interesting read.

Interesting read. I always knew that you don't actually get much rest, if any, when constantly interrupted every 10 minutes but didn't know about the chemical imbalances. Maybe I should just suck it up and not press snooze so I feel better for the rest of the day, rather than just the 20 minutes at the start of the day. I don't really have troubles waking up, but I usually always push the snooze button at least twice. Feels so good, being able to go back to sleep:D

HyperZell
10-22-2012, 08:55 PM
Originally posted by jsn

Interesting read. I always knew that you don't actually get much rest, if any, when constantly interrupted every 10 minutes but didn't know about the chemical imbalances. Maybe I should just suck it up and not press snooze so I feel better for the rest of the day, rather than just the 20 minutes at the start of the day. I don't really have troubles waking up, but I usually always push the snooze button at least twice. Feels so good, being able to go back to sleep:D

That's the dopamine talking!!

I think the basic, underlying thing about all this is: get more sleep. That's the best solution.

Cowtown_Raider
10-22-2012, 09:05 PM
My wife has a book called Sleep-Powered Wellness, written by a local expert in sleep disorders. Might be worth a read for those of you suffering from poor quality sleeps.