PDA

View Full Version : HD Crashed...I Think??

dj_rice
03-13-2008, 08:30 PM
I know its a long read, bare with me

I'm not really computer savvy so I'll explain the symptoms, Sunday I left my desktop on all day to download some torrents, it was working fine, no problems, Monday I power on the computer, and it starts making some massive vibrating, whirring noise like a cd spinning really fast and somethin scratching against it, so I shut off the computer, turn on again, same noise, off again, then on again, no noise but Windows doesnt load, I get a NTLDR is missing, so I assume my HD is crashed and run System Recovery and chose the option where they save all my data in a backup folder on the C drive and re-install Windows XP...first atttempt 38% thru, I get the blue screen of death with some KERNEL_DATA error msg, restart the Recovery and it finishes, then I restart comp...it takes a good 15 mins to actually load up Win XP for some reason now, and even acessing the C drive takes like 30 sec delay...so I go on and try to transfer as much files onto my external...350mb tv shows which use to take 10-15 mins to transfer are now taking 45-an hour...

Then today turn on comp to try and transfer my 20GB of DJ music only to get whirring noise again, and this time, Win XP doesnt even load up..it goes to some screen saying choose to boot in safe mode or normal mode, u chose either and computer just restarts...so is the HD toast?Is there any way I can transfer my songs or am I SOL?

This is what I get when I turn on my computer...A problem with the hard drive has been detected, consult the Troubleshooting section of ur users manual..press enter to continue, I click enter then goes to that menu with Safe Mode, Normal Mode etc...and then it restarts itself...