PDA

View Full Version : quitting smoking

theken
03-13-2008, 08:49 PM
K, I have decided to quit smoking to pay for my bike, same monthly cost, bike is more fun.

I have smoked a pack a day for just around 6 years, sucks for me, i cut down to 10 a day for the last 2 days, and i am going to cut down to 5 after tomorrow, then 0.
I am feeling like absolute shit tonight, how many of you have quit or cut back huge and noticed how shitty you feel? Any pointers to get through the apparent worst week I am gonna have? and I am very bitchy and moody right now, sucks to be everyone around me

ekguy
03-13-2008, 08:54 PM
just go get some blow it'll perk you right up haha. Kidding. Just carry a picture of a bike your going to try and get with you and look at it when your jonesing for a smoke. I quit smoking last year but I just stopped cold turkey and it's hard I know. In the last 3 years I've also stopped 3 other addictions which included blow and meth. So quitting drugs and smoking is not something new to me. Just have a constant reminder of what your quitting for is going to help you big time. AND I MEAN BIG TIME. I quit all that shit and was able to do so much more than I couldn't do before...You will never regret quitting with a nice bike in your driveway.

dj_rice
03-13-2008, 08:59 PM
Start chewing gum....everytime you get the urge, pop a gum in, but damn quitting cold turkey is hard..I've done it and lasted 2 weeks...

A co-worker of mine tried quitting using this nicotine puffer system thing...

DENZILDON
03-13-2008, 08:59 PM
Try reading this!

http://www.chapters.indigo.ca/books/Allen-Carrs-Easy-Way-Stop-Allen-Carr/9780973468403-item.html?ref=Search+Books%3a+%2527allen+carr%2527

A few buddies read it and stopped smoking. I'm quitting after my birthday this sat too.

I read half of the book already. It very good book!!

theken
03-13-2008, 09:03 PM
give me some coles notes on the book, i dont like buying books haha, i'm more of a skim through and try to make shit up about the book.

I might get some gum for tomorrow, or beef jerky, how much worse is chewing tobacco, like skoal cherry, cause i used to chew that shit all the time too, when i couldn't smoke, better?

dj_rice
03-13-2008, 09:07 PM
Originally posted by theken
give me some coles notes on the book, i dont like buying books haha, i'm more of a skim through and try to make shit up about the book.

I might get some gum for tomorrow, or beef jerky, how much worse is chewing tobacco, like skoal cherry, cause i used to chew that shit all the time too, when i couldn't smoke, better?

I dunno how much worse it is health wise but it'll stain your teeth 10x quicker...:thumbsup: and doesnt it cut up your lower gums pretty bad?Someone told me theres lil pieces of fibreglass in it?

SR240SX
03-13-2008, 09:12 PM

You'll loose your jaw allot sooner then you would from smoking...If that dosent turn you away fromt chewing tabacco im not sure what will. Still has nicotene and some other nasty shit in it..so it cant be "good" for you...

I dunno..with quitting smoking you cant just say your going to do it..or say your going to have this many now and this many tomorow..becuase when tomorow comes even that 1 extra smoke that your not supposed to have probably wont matter to you.

Not sure if you see what im getting at but its kind of like procastinating. Your putting it off when really you should stop all together, make sense?

KING
03-13-2008, 09:13 PM
i like to smoke cigarettes through my anus. feels so good

theken
03-13-2008, 09:17 PM
well, i make it impossible to have that extra smoke, i removed cheating variables, i buy a 20 pack, take half out leave it in my car, take the other half with me, when those 10 are gone im done, i dont bring enough money to buy another pack with me either, so i am budgeting them wisely.
Very hard to just stop after 10 years of smoking, 6 years hardcore, takes more then jsut decisions, i think cutting in half is a huge step. then will be even better when thats in half.

dj_rice
03-13-2008, 09:22 PM
well, i make it impossible to have that extra smoke, i removed cheating variables, i buy a 20 pack, take half out leave it in my car, take the other half with me, when those 10 are gone im done, i dont bring enough money to buy another pack with me either, so i am budgeting them wisely.
Very hard to just stop after 10 years of smoking, 6 years hardcore, takes more then jsut decisions, i think cutting in half is a huge step. then will be even better when thats in half.

Exactly....first step is realizing you have a problem, 2nd step is taking the necessary precautions to start cutting down, 3rd step is having a strong support system of friends/family around you that help you stay on track...and then its all down to self determination and control but easier said than done...I still have a few years left before I decide to quit..my goal is to quit before I'm 30

For myself, on workdays, I bring 5 cigs, 3 inside work for the coffee breaks/lunch and then 2 outside in the car, the rest of pack I leave at home, and it helps living in a No smoking allowed house...

barmanjay
03-13-2008, 09:24 PM
I Quit smoking almost exactly a year ago.

I did the patch and it works very well.

follow the guide in the box.

don't do the no-name crap, they don't stick

to stop the habit, chew hot spicy gum

inferno gum was the best, chew 2 pieces then inhale deep

I do still crave a smoke once in a while, but I chew a piece and I feel fine.

I had bad dreams and didn't sleep well every time I stepped down on the patch.

when I stopped entirely, I didn't sleep for 3 days. I'm glad I quit tho.

fyi: I had been smoking for about 18 years

1-2 packs a day

I'm still coughing up crap once in a while, especially when I'm Sick- mucousy yellow/ orange Crap

03-13-2008, 09:29 PM
I smoked from the age of 13 untill october 7th 2007, so almost 8 years.

Quit cold turkey, hardest thing ive ever done, felt like a bag of rat shit for 3 or 4 weeks, was always grumpy, got into some yelling matches, just generally angry, it was a bitch.

But it was well worth it, after about a month to a month in a half, i was sleeping better, eating better (food tasted better), and i just generally feel better compared to when i was a smoker.

Even now i still get the occasional craving, but it passes faster and faster everytime, the big thing i noticed after i quit was how fucking bad smokers actually smelled, its gross.

Prepare to gain a few pounds though, as food usually ends up as a substitute for a smoke, i gained 8 pounds since i quit, but thats slowly getting worked off :burnout: .

I tried the cutting back thing, it never worked out for me. Cold turkey is the only way.

R!zz0
03-13-2008, 09:33 PM
Good luck and i hope you really quit. I have tried and tried, but i just can't seem to quit. You have to hate it to quit, and i don't hate it.

barmanjay
03-13-2008, 09:37 PM
Originally posted by 410440
I smoked from the age of 13 untill october 7th 2007, so almost 8 years.

Quit cold turkey, hardest thing ive ever done, felt like a bag of rat shit for 3 or 4 weeks, was always grumpy, got into some yelling matches, just generally angry, it was a bitch.

But it was well worth it, after about a month to a month in a half, i was sleeping better, eating better (food tasted better), and i just generally feel better compared to when i was a smoker.

Even now i still get the occasional craving, but it passes faster and faster everytime, the big thing i noticed after i quit was how fucking bad smokers actually smelled, its gross.

Prepare to gain a few pounds though, as food usually ends up as a substitute for a smoke, i gained 8 pounds since i quit, but thats slowly getting worked off :burnout: .

I tried the cutting back thing, it never worked out for me. Cold turkey is the only way.

I was bitchy too, my GF would've left me, but she wanted me to quit and toughed it out!

I love my woman!

And yes, food tastes soooo much better now, infact I've been cooking more with tastier foods, and gained 25 lbs

I do notice how gross smokers smell now too,.. almost to the point where i can't stand it.

theken
03-13-2008, 09:37 PM
i love smoking, money is my 1st love though

dj_rice
03-13-2008, 09:40 PM
Do you have children yet?

rc2002
03-13-2008, 09:41 PM
Cold turkey is tough but I think it is the best way.

Best thing you can do is distance yourself from people you know who also smoke - that's how you get pulled back in.

Try working out. After a good workout, you don't even feel like smoking anymore. They taste gross after a workout too.

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/96729/quitting-smoking/

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/111459/quittin-smoking-/

There's tons of quitting threads. I'm not sure how many people have successfully kicked it though.

Jlude
03-13-2008, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by richardchan2002
Cold turkey is tough but I think it is the best way.

Best thing you can do is distance yourself from people you know who also smoke - that's how you get pulled back in.

the one thing that always got me smoking again was being around smokers... mostly coworkers... I'd always know they're out smoking... and then you get the urge... you wanna go and have one... and you're not gonna buy a pack... you'll just get one off a coworker... but WHAM!!! you're buying a pack on your way home from work.

meh.... cigs are only 4 bucks a pack here... so screw it!

Kloubek
03-13-2008, 09:48 PM
You can do it man. The first few days really does suck. Make it a long weekend with something else to do. Reward yourself by taking an extended long weekend if you can.

And don't smoke.

Take it son - like you would take a beating. :)

Accord_tunerx
03-13-2008, 09:49 PM
seem like a good way slow down and cut out...its impossible for me ahha damn i try cold turkey ahhaa two weeks later...back on the smokes ahah

Mibz
03-13-2008, 10:15 PM
I quit cold turkey, twice. Ha.

I smoked for 7 years, quit for 13 months, started again for a few months then quit cold turkey again. I know it's probably weird to hear but it was extremely easy both times. I slept like shit and was constantly angry but that's not really a change for me. A large part of it was not going out drinking with smokers. The craving is always there I was just smart enough to not give in unless I was tanked. Nowadays I don't even think about it.

Before quitting those times I tried the patch and almost lost my job. I had no patience for anything or anyone. If you're naturally a calm person then you probably won't notice but I was already on edge, it just pushed me over.

The gum never worked for me, nicotine or otherwise. I'd have no problems spitting it out and finding smokes by noon.

Had a friend try Zyban or whatever it's called and it worked quite well for them for awhile, but then they just stopped taking it because they wanted to smoke. That was when I stopped trying to quit with assistance. I knew that until I truly wanted to quit, I wouldn't. All the assistance in the world wouldn't matter, I'd find a way to smoke. I see it happen with a lot of other people too, my girlfriend included. Try and try all you want but unless you truly want to, you probably won't.

Kloubek
03-13-2008, 10:18 PM
Zyban is worth a try if you're having difficulty. I tried it once and it really did take away the cravings. I barely thought about smokes.

Cypresskilla
03-13-2008, 10:39 PM
Try the patch, the one thing that kept me from smoking on the pack is the very real danger of have a heart attack or stroke when you have the patch on. Ask any doctor any they will tell you no matter what age you are smoking with the patch on is a real quick way to have heart failure. It's because the patch puts this huge ball of Nic in your system that slowly goes through the blood stream. If you smoke while your on it, it can cause all that Nic to go to your heart in an instance.

Cypresskilla
03-13-2008, 10:39 PM
Try the patch, the one thing that kept me from smoking on the patch is the very real danger of have a heart attack or stroke when you have the patch on. Ask any doctor any they will tell you no matter what age you are smoking with the patch on is a real quick way to have heart failure. It's because the patch puts this huge ball of Nic in your system that slowly goes through the blood stream. If you smoke while your on it, it can cause all that Nic to go to your heart in an instance.

theken
03-13-2008, 11:10 PM
Originally posted by dj_rice
Do you have children yet? yeah i have 2

dj_rice
03-13-2008, 11:18 PM
yeah i have 2

That should be enough motivation to quit now, for your health and theirs, cuz I heard a saying when you quit smoking, that adds 10 years back to your life, so then you'll still be around for your childrens graduation,wedding, see your grandchildren grow, theres a bigger picture to think about also :) but good luck with your endeavour

dropdat
03-13-2008, 11:40 PM
This may not sound that appealing but what I did was started chewing tobacco. Not on a regular basis, but a few dips a day, whenever I really wanted a smoke. First tin lasted me about a week, second a little longer and by the third I was hardly smoking anymore. It filled my nicotine cravings and I got used to getting less nicotine, all while not smoking.

theken
03-14-2008, 05:55 PM
i mentioned that earlier, i bought nicorette, i have 4 smokes left out of my pack, so this will be it tonight

barmanjay
03-14-2008, 06:07 PM
nicorette sucks

patch rocks + regular cinamon spicy gum

spikerS
03-14-2008, 06:10 PM
kudos to you for trying to quit. I have tried a few times but always ended up smoking again.

My advice, don't take Zyban. it is a anti-depressant with the side effect of not wanting to smoke. When I took it, i smoked alot less, but i was a psycho. i was in such a wierd state it was really freaking out my friends / wife. i won't touch that stuff again, even though it was the best thing for helping me cut back.

redline_13000
03-14-2008, 10:32 PM
Quitting cold turkey works only if you dont like it. But if you are quitting just because of health/money savings, it will never happen.

ApexDrift
03-15-2008, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by redline_13000
Quitting cold turkey works only if you dont like it. But if you are quitting just because of health/money savings, it will never happen.

not intirely true i smoked 10 years 2-3 hardcore... i calculated how much money i was putting in to smokes, seeing the numbers made me want to quit and i did cold turkey... i then used the some of the money i saved and bought new tires cause smoke tires is a lot more fun then smoking cigs...

on top of that food tastes great, and i dont get tired as easily

thordin
03-15-2008, 01:33 PM
Cold turkey's the best way instead of cutting down. I read somewhere that cutting down isn't the best method cuz whenever you have a fag you'd inhale it much harder than usual, the smoke would go deeper into your lungs. Causing a lot more damage to em.

Yeah I'm in the process of quitting smoking. I haven't bought a pack for a while but luckily I have a cuppa of friends who still smoke so I keep bumming cigs off em... and will continue to do so until they all say NO to me haha.

GTS Jeff
03-15-2008, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by thordin
Cold turkey's the best way instead of cutting down. Gradual quitting is about 10x more effective than quitting cold turkey, which has a success rate lower than 1%.

van
03-15-2008, 05:47 PM
If you really plan on quitting you need to know that 'Cold Turkey' is never an effective way of bypassing the habit/cravings. A lot of people are misguided when they think they can just quit whenever they want. I used to think like that too and I would cold turkey for a few months and then return back to smoking.

The key thing to understand is everytime you have a ciggerette you are pushing a shit load of nicotine in your body all at once. That nicotine never stays in your blood stream for long hence why you get cravings.

I have given the same advice to other people wanting to quit and it has worked very well. You need to want to quit though for whatever reason that may be.

First off,

You want to set some goals as to why you are quitting and take the money you would use on ciggerettes and put them in a jar. At the end of each month you can reward yourself with a purchase. For people who smoke a pack every 1-2 days you will see how much you actually spend.

Two,

Start off using the patches -- I always have been whatever to the patches but when I decided to quit I gave it a chance. If you're a heavy smoker start with the first level. The cool thing about these patches is they release nicotine into your blood stream steadily for 24 hours / per patch.

This is what eliminates cravings! It's always in your system and in such small dosages that it eliminates the cravings so you don't go reaching for another ciggerette.

Three,

Breaking the habit -- it is habitual that motion you do when you pick up a ciggerette, light it, moving it from your mouth and back out. You have to find something to replace that such a chewing gum, lollipops, whatever you desire.

On the package of the patches it tells you each level you should use for about 10 weeks each. I think this is false and they only put that because it works well enough that you might not use it after a couple weeks period.

I used my first level patches for 2 weeks in total and threw it out altogether. As soon as you can control your cravings and banish all those habits you have it's really quite easy.

The best part about quitting is understanding how it is to be a NON-smoker. When you smell someone smoking or someone who just finished a smoke you will understand what I mean. You don't smell that kind of shit when you smoke. Think about kissing a chick that smokes (gross).

Another good thing about the patch is that it doesn't give you mood swings. I notice people who cold turkey fluctuate with their emotions for some reason. When on the patch I had enough nicotine flowing through my bloodstream to keep me happy haha.

Anyway, hope this helps!

stvtec
03-15-2008, 06:43 PM
I smoked almost 2 packs a day for at least 5 years of smoking and had smoked since I was 14ish, so that was 12 years of a awful habit. I have quit for 6 years now, but I had a hiccup last year after I was struck by lightning, I started again for about 3 weeks but was able to quit again. I used the patch both times, never had any luck with the gum.

theken
03-15-2008, 11:52 PM
gum doesn't seem to control cravings, i might have to take 2-3 pieces at a time

01RedDX
03-16-2008, 12:00 AM

TKRIS
03-16-2008, 09:35 AM
I started smoking when I was ~12, so about 13-14 years.
I quit about 2-1/2 months ago.
BOREDOM IS YOUR ENEMY

This is the second time I've quit (last time was for ~7 months when I was 19). This time feels different though. I'm not jonesing anymore, and I don't really think about cigarettes anymore.
I used the patch for a few days to get me over the bad, super angry part. The best thing I can recommend is finding something to replace your habit. I started playing guitar again or working on my car in the garage. Doesn't matter what you do, just make sure you find something to keep yourself busy.
I've actually all but quit drinking as well, just by keeping myself busy.
Good luck.

Spoons
03-16-2008, 01:37 PM
I quit cold turkey for about a month and started again, but I could of lasted much longer. The only reason why I started is because my girlfriend at the time forced me to stop. I didn't want to quit, but when she holds sex over your head, you do about anything.

We broke up after that month, so I said fuck it and just started again. You have to quit for the right reasons. If you really want to quit, you will. If you're like me and really didn't want to, you will end up smoking again.

barmanjay
03-16-2008, 03:14 PM
The average life span for someone who smokes is 75

for someone that doesn't is 82

I would love to have fun with grand children one day

R!zz0
03-18-2008, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by barmanjay
The average life span for someone who smokes is 75

for someone that doesn't is 82

is that for average smoker? I'm assuming half a pack a day.

JRSC00LUDE
03-18-2008, 12:48 PM
give me some coles notes on the book, i dont like buying books haha, i'm more of a skim through and try to make shit up about the book.....

With initiative like that, you're bound to succeed! :rofl:

The_1
04-03-2008, 11:08 AM
has anyone tried cold laser/acupuncture to stop?
i have a coworkers who smoked for over 30 years
she went to imagine laser works
its suppose to be a 2 treatment thing.....she did one and havent had a smoke since January
the cost is only 169.... im going to give it a try
ive done the patch and it works while your on it but once you take it off you need a smoke

TKRIS
04-03-2008, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by The_1
has anyone tried cold laser/acupuncture to stop?
i have a coworkers who smoked for over 30 years
she went to imagine laser works
its suppose to be a 2 treatment thing.....she did one and havent had a smoke since January
the cost is only 169.... im going to give it a try
ive done the patch and it works while your on it but once you take it off you need a smoke

The problem with the placebo effect is that it only works if you don't know you're taking placebos...

Ruggzy_McTuggz
04-04-2008, 02:40 PM
Didn't read all the posts so I am not sure if this one has been covered... There is a book out there called Allan Carrs Easyway to Quit Smoking.

At my workplace there are now 7 of us who have read the book and quit right after. I didnt even get cravings after reading it... no patches, no gum, no strings.

Loaned my copy to my old man who had been smoking over 35 years and he is now a non smoker... I know it sounds like voodoo but trust me when I say that it is the best stop smoking tool on the market.

For a statistic, roughly 8% of people who use the patch quit. Allan Carr's clinics around the world have a money back guarantee if you start smoking again. only 5% of people who attend his clinics relapse. that is a 95% success rate.

jdmXSI
04-04-2008, 02:55 PM
Ive quit for about three weeks or so now and i still feel like a bag of shit, easily agitated, generally just all over the place. I think cold turkey is the best way to go. Putting yourself in places normally where you smoked(ie drinking, socializing, going out with friends for a smoke, but not smoking) really worked for me. The cravings only lasted a day or two. Oh if you don't already, start working out 3-5 times a week which will also help reduce your cravings and mak you feel better!

Heff
04-04-2008, 03:34 PM
I quit smoking after 15 years with the help of my wife and my employer. I went cold turkey. Bought a last pack of smokes and a pack of nicorettes in case I had an "about to lose my job" moment. Never opened the nicorettes.
Both my (then girlfriend, now) wife and employer cut me a LOT of slack in the first 2 months as I had the jitters and some emotional rollercoastering, but they stuck with me, so I stuck with the plan to quit.

Once I fell off the wagon. I HAD to have a smoke. I went to the nearby 7-11 and purchased the most rat-bag, cheap-ass 49 cent cigar, light it and took a big honking drag. I was so sick I nearly couldn't drive home 15 minutes later.

That ended my urge to cheat.

For about 12 months after I had "smokers dream" where I'd dream I was smoking and wake up with cravings. The morning Cuppa Joe and a Smoke syndrome, you know?

I have been a smoke free environment for about 4 years now. I don't miss it and my financial situation is not eve comparable. I no longer get the annual february bronchitis, or the annual January chest cold. I no longer get sick much at all, really.

Keep with it. If you WANT to quit, you'll find a way.

sync
04-04-2008, 03:38 PM
i quit when i realized it was going to kill me.

no really, it will kill you.

it wasn't easy at the time, i did it cold, but i don't really remember anything too horrible anymore.

it's been 6 years.

oh, i moved from the city where i smoked, to the city i live in now, where i have never smoked.

see what i did thur?

canadiantj
04-05-2008, 04:10 PM
For me, its been a month now. When I was ready to quit, I started to tell myself how bad the cigarette tasted when I was finished. After my last smoke, I went out and bought the 96 pack of nicorette lozenges. Lasted much longer than the gum (30 min on average) and actually left a bit of the "smoke aftertaste" in your mouth. Followed their plan and after a couple of weeks, mints were gone and now feel much better. Like everyone here, still have the odd craving now and again, but just brush it off and continue on with life. Everything is much better now that I do not smoke. Good luck.